The Final Cut is a 2004 science fiction thriller film written and directed by Omar Naim. It stars Robin Williams, Jim Caviezel, Mira Sorvino, Mimi Kuzyk, Stephanie Romanov, Genevieve Buechner and Brendan Fletcher. The film takes place in a setting where memory implants make it possible to record entire lives. Williams plays a professional who specializes in editing the memories of unsavory people into uncritical memorials that are played at funerals.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Outside of the implants and the tattoos to disable them the tech is on par with 2004 technology.
- Conviction by Contradiction: Alan concludes that a man he sees in a recording is someone he met years earlier when they were boys because he cleans his glasses on his shirt. Most people who wear glasses will clean them on their shirt if a more suitable cloth is not available.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As a child, Alan met a boy named Louis, whom he witnessed fall from a high point while exploring an abandoned factory, and the film shows that this event has gotten to him immensely, to the point of looking into a sighting of a man similar to Louis in the footage of a recently deceased businessman. Along with that, Alan lost both his parents around the time he met Louis.
- Dark Secret: At some point, Alan learns that he himself received an implant.
- Demoted Memories: The film opens with Alan's memory of him causing Louis to fall to his death when they were both kids, but when going through the memories of Charles Bannister, he finds a man who looks like Louis. Cue Alan's frantic search for the truth about his memories.
- Memory Jar: Babies can get a special implant that will record their entire lives so that loved ones can see them after the individual's death. Alan's job is to cut and edit these memories into a film so that only the best memories are seen.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Fletcher has no problem either talking people in to breaking the Cutter's Code, or the law, or doing either himself, if it means doing the right thing.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: The main character, a "cutter" who edits the recorded memories of the deceased for their families, is named Alan Hackman.