The Crossbell Police acts as the main law enforcement agency within the borders of the country. However, it is lacking in power because of the growing influence of mafias and politicians from the Empire of Erebonia and Republic of Calvard.
Due to its buffer state status, Crossbell is only allowed a relatively small Self-Defense Force of their own, in the frontier gates of both Erebonia and Calvard. They are more or less an army In Name Only, as they don't have the technology to counter the Empire's dreaded railway guns and the Republic's airship fleet. As such, they are often associated with the Crossbell Police and the local Bracer Guild during national incidents.
Crossbell Police Department
- Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
An investigator in the elite First Division, he and the SSS clash over jurisdiction and he is one of many police officers who dismiss the SSS as nothing more than a publicity stunt.
- The Ace: Of the First Division.
- Birds of a Feather: Hajimari shows him getting along swimmingly with Machias, another guy with green-hair, a blue suit, glasses, and a serious demeanor.
- Combination Attack: His Combi-Craft with Lloyd is "Hearts of Iron."
- Crutch Character: When he joins you, he is usually a few levels above your party, and in Ao chapter 2, joins with a weapon which wouldn't be out of place in the Final Chapter. This is to reflect his experience.
- Coat Over the Shoulder: He sometimes poses like this in official artwork and the coat comes off dramatically when executing his S-Crafts.
- Defrosting Ice King: After seeing their determination and ability to get results, he warms up to the SSS and starts working with them instead of against them.
- Demoted to Extra: Despite his return in Hajimari, he is not a playable character.
- 11th-Hour Ranger: Is the last playable to character to officially join the party in Ao.
- Guest-Star Party Member: In Zero, he temporarily joins the party to investigate Revache's building.
- Hand Cannon: He uses a military-grade Orbal Pistol, noted to be rather heavy but with incredible stopping power.
- La Résistance: Forms one with other CSPD members following the awakening of Azure Demiourgos, which is folded into the larger anti-Erebonian resistance after the end of the game.
- Last-Name Basis: He calls everyone in the SSS by their last names, in contrast to the much more informal First-Name Basis that most everyone else is on.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft in Zero is "Justice Hammer," with Ao throwing in "Justice Magnum."
- Not So Above It All : About shoes. He is quite picky about his leather shoes and have them tailor-mades, and when Lloyd comment that he mostly wears sneakers, he explains the advantages of his shoes compared to Lloyd.
- Out of Focus:
- He's really out of focus in Ao, being playable in the first dungeon and then only appearing sporadically after that until almost the final dungeon. He's also absent from both the Michelam Wonderland intermission and the special bond scenes at the end of the game.
- Taken Up to Eleven by having him be the only playable member of Crossbell arc to be non-playable in Hajimari.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: He carries a shotgun for use in one of his Crafts. It comes with the enviable bonus of lowering DEF by 50% and having a huge effect area.
- Shout-Out: He's able to perform Gawaine's Justice Hammer with nothing but his bare hands. The original user of that move needed a giant mace.
- Voiced by: Moyu Arishima
Noel's younger sister (and biggest fan), she works as a receptionist at CSPD Headquarters and coordinates the SSS' assignments.
- Bandage Babe: After being injured during Red Constellation's attack on Crossbell.
- Big Sister Worship: She adores her older sister. A lot.
- Heroic BSoD: Despite her adoration for Noel, she manages to avoid this when she finds herself on the opposide side of the conflict and is certain that if she just talks to Noel, everything will be okay. Not that she isn't a bit depressed but she gets over it remarkably quickly.
- Mission Control: She's responsible for supporting the SSS from headquarters and doesn't do field work. This eventually gives her the opportunity to support her beloved Noel directly.
- Bridge Bunny: When she joins you onboard Łazy's Merkabah.
- Playful Hacker: She has mild shades of this but she's overshadowed by several other characters who are much better at it.
- Shout-Out: Her beloved stuffed animal Ban Ban originated in the Gagharv Trilogy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the girly girl to Noel's tomboy.
- Voiced by: Yusei Oda (Japanese, Evolution)
A senior officer in the Crossbell Police Department.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: At one point, he wakes up after a drunken stupor to find he's lost his wedding ring. Lloyd and Tio are forced to ask Zeit to use his scent to retrace his steps, finding a wild and meandering journey round the Entertainment District and Back Alley with stories of incoherent babbling about his wife that ends with him flirting with a hostess and giving her the missing ring.
- Jerkass: Corrupt and not very appreciative of the SSS. He does soften up a bit by the end of Ao, though.
- Number Two: He's somehow the police department's "second-in-command."
- Pet the Dog: In the final chapter of Ao, he seems genuinely concerned about the SSS putting themselves in danger. It's one of the few moments showing that he does have some decency in him.
See his entry in Posthumous Characters.
Crossbell Guardian Force
- Appearances: Zero
Commander of the CGF, responsible for kicking Randy out.
- The Ghost: While mentioned, he was never seen or even named until Akatsuki no Kiseki.
- Voiced by: Naomi Shindo
The sub-commander (later promoted to commander) of the CGF.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even after her superior officer booted Randy from the CGF, she still made the effort to recommend him to the Crossbell Police.
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara
A warrant officer (later promoted to ensign) in the CGF.
- Ascended Extra: In Ao, she gets her own portrait, as well as a role in the main story instead of just sidequests.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: She, along with several other members of the CGF, were forcibly given Gnosis so that they could be controlled by the Cult and attack the Crossbell Police.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She has this reputation among her fellow CGF members.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: Due to the commander's antics, she is basically in charge of Bellguard Gate.
- Implied Love Interest: With the amount of Ship Tease between them, it's safe to say she is this with Randy. Confirmed in Hajimari, where a scene from the credits shows Randy proposing to Mireille.
- It Was a Gift: She has a brooch that Randy gave to her as congratulations for her promotion. Her deep cherishing of it is one notable example of her real feelings towards him. Granted, she'll still probably claim it's nothing special.
- La Résistance: She and the rest of the Bellguard CGF members refused to go along with Dieter's plan near the end of Ao, which led to this. Naturally, she also joins the larger group that forms the resistance against Erebonian occupation following the conclusion of the game.
- Official Couple: See Randy's entry for this trope.
- Tsundere: Towards Randy, complete with frequent adding of "Stupidnote " to his name. She cares for him, but in part due to his general attitude, she hides her interest behind her general frustration with him.