Crossbell is also a special case regarding the whole political situation of West Zemuria, due to being founded roughly 80 years ago: It is a buffer state bordered by the two massive Erebonia and Calvard, with both considering Crossbell to be their own. As a consequence, many people and agents from both countries attempted multiple times to take control of the country through covert operations or having senators representing them and influencing politics in some way.
Finally, the Crossbell Government as a whole is led by a Mayor, choosen for their neutrality towards both Erebonia and Calvard, and having the best interest of the country in their mind. Two Mayors were known at the time of the games: Henry MacDowell, the grandfather of SSS Member Elie MacDowell, followed by Dieter Crois, former president of the IBC.
Mayor Henry MacDowell
- Voiced by: Yasunori Masutani
- Voiced by: Yuugo Takahashi
First Secretary of Mayor MacDowell.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Even more so than Joachim, as Ernest is the first boss in Ao. Even though he accesses the same form Joachim had as the Final Boss of Zero, he gets taken out by Lloyd and Noel by themselves.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Originally seemed like the affable aide to the mayor, he later tries to assassinate his boss, and is later revealed to be a member of the D∴G Cult.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: His villainous actions throughout Zero and the beginning of Ao are largely due to Joachim's manipulation and Gnosis. When he is encountered near the end of Ao free from Gnosis' influence, he shows remorse for his actions and vows to apologize to Elie and Mayor Mac Dowell after serving his sentence.
- Foil: To Gilbert Stein from the previous games. While they both initially appear as the affable aides to their bosses who later turn out to be villains, there is nothing humorous about Ernest and he is treated as a serious antagonist by protagonists during Zero. Furthermore, unlike Gilbert, Ernest' villainy is due to More Than Mind Control from Joachim and Gnosis.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft, both in his human and initial demon form, is "Darkness Dance."
- Warmup Boss: He's the first boss of Ao.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: As expected from using Gnosis.
- Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto
A Speaker for the Crossbell government.
- Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto
The president of the IBC, an amiable man whose determination (and money) have transformed Crossbell into the pinnacle of modernization that it is today.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Ultimately, he is upstaged by Ian and Mariabell
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: His ancestors founded the D∴G Cult as part of a long-term plan to recreate Demiourgos. Everything he has done for Crossbell is measured against that goal.
- Climax Boss: Him piloting Aion Type-α
- Et Tu, Brute?: He has this reaction upon finding out he was being used by Ouroboros, Ian, and even Mariabell, his own daughter.
- Evil Costume Switch: After he declares himself as president, he start wearing a white suit
- Fiction500: Owns and operates the largest bank in Zemuria, which in turn owns large chunks of prime real estate and created an internationally known resort and theme park. Financed the construction of the tallest building in Zemuria and a massive modernization program that made Crossbell the envy of the world. He later became the mayor of that same city. He also literally financed the creation of a "miracle" in Azure Demiourgos.
- Humongous Mecha : He fight the party in the Aion Type-α at the top of Orchis Tower
- Honest Corporate Executive: Who eventually becomes the mayor of Crossbell because of this.
- Honorary Uncle: Is like an uncle to Elie, who refers to him using the term.
- Rousing Speech: He gives an epic one in Ao when he declares the Crossbell will no longer huddle in the shadow of Erebonia and Calvard but will be a strong and truly independent state.
- Walking Spoiler: Much of his tropes concern the Ao lategame
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: All of his actions were ultimately for justice, justice that he believed could only be obtained by making Crossbell a strong, independent state, free from the pressure Erebonia and Calvard had been subjecting it to for years. He was also unaware of some of the D∴G Cult's more inhumane acts, leaving the details to Mariabell.
- White Sheep: Downplayed exemple, he said he don't care that much for the whole alchemy business, he see it more as a mean to an end in order to establish a free Crossbell state and as such, he leave most of the scheming to Mariabell.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: A lot of characters find his goal of a free state to be admirable (the Man Behind the Man share them) but ultimately, his plans are considered too soft.
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
Dieter's daughter and an executive at the IBC. She and Elie grew up together and are close friends.
- Ambiguously Gay: She's rather flirtatious with Elie after her face heel turn, but Sen IV specifically has her confessing to Elie that she loves her. The wording used is 愛してるよ、エリィ, which is an extreme declaration and unambiguously non-platonic.
- During one of the bath events in Sen IV, Sharon makes a point to put Mariabelle in the same group as Angelica and Shirley, in a conversation about people who are lecherous towards women
- Affectionate Nickname: Oftentimes referred to as "Bell," usually by Elie or Dieter.
- Betrayal by Offspring: She throws her father under the bus without hesitation.
- Big Bad: As the leader of the conspirators, she is this to the Crossbell arc
- Big Bad Friend: To Elie.
- Big Damn Heroes: Dramatically saves the SSS at the end of Zero with Car Fu.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Is responsible for pretty much everything that happens over the course of the Crossbell arc. Ultimately, her only love is power for its own sake.
- Black Magician Girl: Ultimately revealed to be this.
- Break Them by Talking: When the party manages to defeat her, she used this on KeA to fuse her to the Tree and create the Azure Demiourgos
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: She betrays her father then Ian when she no longer needs them to finally side with Ouroboros.
- Dual Boss: She's this with Campanella in the final dungeon of Cold Steel IV.
- Flunky Boss: She'll summon lots of mooks in fight against her.
- "Get Back Here!" Boss: She spend much of her time during her boss fight teleporting your party members around the map.
- Graceful Loser: Following her defeat and KeA loss of power, she warns the party about the Tree disappearance and ask them to spare Dieter's life as he can still help them in rebuilding Crossbell then take off without further disturbance.
- Leitmotif: "Delusion of a Thousand Years."
- Limit Break: Her S-Craft is "Crimson Zanba" in Ao and "Mercurius Zanba" in Cold Steel IV.
- Magic Staff: A sinister-looking one to boot!
- Mega Twintails: Combines with Princess Curls.
- Karma Houdini: Doesn't get any comeuppance for any of her actions as the Big Bad in Ao. Even separating KeA from the Sept-Terrion didn't really set her back that much and either she wins or loses, she's joining Ouroboros and won't have to deal with Erebonia invading Crossbell. Not to mention, she has the knowledge to recreate the entire thing anyway.
- Happens again at the end of the Erebonia arc. With most of her co-conspirators either dead, detained, or defected, Mariabell is one of the few agents (and the only Anguis actively involved in the Great Twilight Plan) to return to Ouroboros in one piece.
- Ojou: Daughter of the head of the largest bank in Zemuria and a capable officer in her own right, with the personality to match.
- Red Baron : "The Primordial Alchemist," upon becoming Ouroboros's new 3rd Anguis.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains / Evil Costume Switch: Compare her outfit as an ally and as a villain. In Cold Steel IV, she somehow manages to combine the sensible and villain parts of the trope.
- Spotting the Thread: As Rean points out in a sidequest in Cold Steel IV, Bleublanc might be good at disguising himself but he's not that good at changing his gender at will.
- Teleport Spam: Her boss fight is this. She'll randomly teleport your character to position caracters are initially placed in a fight.
- Traitor Shot: In a NG+ run, following the quest where you retrieve her dolls, you learn she was the one to set up the quest with Bleublanc's help.
- Walking Spoiler: Who would have thought that this lady is the Big Bad of the Crossbell arc and manages to get away unscathed?
- We Will Meet Again: Before leaving for Ouroboros, she say this to the party. They do in Cold Steel IV though they still don't manage to settle things with her.
- Xanatos Gambit: She had one regarding KeA's awakening at the Black Auction, if everything was going as planned and she awakened in front of the crowd, she would propose to take care of her in behalf of IBC, if Heiyue tried to do something funny, Arios was ready to intervene. Ultimately, she awakened in front of the SSS, which was not expected, but still served her interests.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: She deals with Ian following his HeelFace Turn. Subverted later, when she reveal she just put him in a state of apparent death and he will live if treated.
- Voiced by: Yasuhiko KawazuAppearances: Zero
The current head of Revache and Co., the group which controls Crossbell's criminal underworld.
- Voiced by: Hisao Egawa
Marconi's right-hand man, formerly a member of the Jaeger group Zephyr and known as the Killing Bear.
- Blood Knight: When his old mercenary blood gets going.
- The Dragon: To Marconi.
- Fighting from the Inside: Agaisnt Joachim's influence, which is why the fight against him when he's using Gnosis is an Anticlimax Boss.
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Guest-Star Party Member: Very briefly in Ao.
- Honor Before Reason: Following his and Lloyd's escape, he takes on the entire State Guard in the Police Academy to rescue his underlings and Marconi.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: By far the most competent man in Revache.
- Large and in Charge
- Limit Break: His S-Craft is "Killing Driver."
- Meteor Move: Killing Driver
- One-Man Army: He fought off the entire State Guard in the Police Academy bare-handed.
- Red Baron: The Killing Bear.
- Private Military Contractor: He used to be a commander in Zephyr.
- Undying Loyalty: To Revache.
- Wham Line: Delivers one to Randy, when he reveals to everyone that he recognizes the former Red Reaper.
- Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa
The young head of the Heiyue Trade Company, a thinly-veiled front for the Heiyue criminal syndicate from Calvard. He and his men have moved into Crossbell with the intent of wresting control of its lucrative underworld from Revache.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The head of a Chinese-inspired criminal organization, of course he knows martial arts.
- The Cameo: Makes a small appearance in Cold Steel II, talking to both Lloyd and Rixia.
- Friendly Enemy: He tries to cultivate this situation with the SSS. He also cultivates this with Class VII in Cold Steel IV, first as an enemy because Lechter hired them and then ends up becoming allies when Heiyue found both McBurn and Victor, who has a mask that is brainwashing him to help the Osborne faction, at Crossbell.
- The Gadfly: He occasionally jerks the SSS around for his own amusement.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Has no problem running from Sigmund and Red Constellation when the odds are against him.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Apart from the fact that the mafia don't harm civilians or else the Bracer Guild will intervene, he doesn't think twice about helping Lloyd and the Crossbellian Resistance because he knows that when the occupation is over, it will make him look like a hero and allow him to further his goals.
- Red Baron: He's referred to as "White Orchid Dragon".
- Voiced by: Kenji Akabane (Japanese, Evolution games)
Cao's secretary at the Heiyue Trade Company.
- The Bus Came Back: He makes a reappearance in Cold Steel III.
- Number Two: To Cao.
- The Stoic: He's generally very calm and speaks in a monotonous tone.
- Voiced by: Mai Aizawa (Japanese, Cold Steel III)
The grandson of Heiyue's elder.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He's a pretty stuck-up kid.
- The Bus Came Back: He makes a reappearance in Cold Steel III alongside Lau.
- Male Gaze: In Cold Steel III, his first meeting with Alisa and Emma has him staring in awe at their well-endowed chests. He then drops his stuck-up attitude for a bit and order Lau to prepare their best tea and snacks, only to be downhearted when a confused Alisa and Emma tell him that they're kind of busy at the moment.
- Precocious Crush: On Elie, even by the time of Cold Steel III.
- Voiced by: Rina Sato
For other tropes involving this character, see Rixia Mao's entry in Crossbell Civilians.
- BFS: Yatagarasu, a massive black sword.
- Full-Body Disguise: Yin's distinctive overlapping cloak and mask ensemble.
- Guest-Star Party Member: In Zero and Ao.
- Invisibility: Via Moonlight Butterfly.
- Limit Break: Has the S-Craft "Paraselene Dance"note .
- Meaningful Name: Yin (銀) can be translated as "Silver". Guess which element Yin's orbment slot is restricted to.
- Paper Talisman: Bakuraifu which explodes on contact and has a very high chance of inflicting Death.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Hougetsurin, which does this with a sword.
- Professional Killer
- Punch-Clock Villain: Works for Heiyue because they have a contract.
- Red Baron: Yin, the Legendary Assassin
- Variable-Length Chain: Many of them, combined with claws. Used in Ryuusouzan and Gengetsu no Mai.