A page for the characters of Mutants & Masterminds. These characters, heroic and villainous alike, hail from all over Earth-Prime and even beyond. However, characters from the Freedom City campaign setting have their own page, here.
Emerald CityA super-heroic analogue to Seattle, Emerald City replaces Freedom City as the default setting of choice for the 3rd edition of Mutants & Masterminds, though it is still part of the same 'verse and characters do move between the two cities.
ApexBorn as the son of Emerald City's foremost corporate raiders, Rex Steyer IV was raised to follow in their footsteps, and eagerly looked forward to increasing the family fortune. The day of the Silver Storm, when his limo was caught in the Storm and he found himself permanently reshaped into a massive gorilla, seemed to put an end to those dreams... at first. In fact, Rex soon found himself enjoying the bestial power of his new body; now he was a real "Apex Predator", both inside the boardroom and outside. He was easily snapped up by the Elysian Academy, who preyed on his ego.
- Cursed with Awesome: Apex actually likes his mutation; he's kept all his old smarts (such as they were; his Int is only 2!) and he's picked up a body that is not only massively intimidating, but also incredibly powerful.
- Greed: It's his defining vice, to the point it serves as his driving motivation.
- Killer Gorilla: He's a giant, super-strong, super-tough gorilla with the mind of a cruel, bullying, greedy corporate raider.
- The Starscream: He resents that he's not the leader of the Academy's villain team so far, which means he's constantly plotting against Ms. Scorpion.
- Super Senses:
- Super Strength: His gorilla body gives him immense strength, which he has refined into three particular favorite tactics; a Shockwave Clap, a Shockwave Stomp, and a Super Rug-Pull.
- Super Toughness: He's as durable as he is strong since becoming a gorilla.
- Unstoppable Rage: When Apex loses control of his temper, he absolutely flips out, to the point his lack of control when raging is statted as one of his complications.
BrimstoneBorn in Oregon, the young Sarah Eskin grew up on a ranch, where she developed both a love of horses and a deep, abiding hatred for her old-fashioned, conservative, deeply religious Christian family. In an act of teen rebellion, she got into Satanism... unfortunately for the world, her first Black Mass made contact with the spirit of "Brimstone Jack" Eskin, a fearsome Wild West outlaw — and her ancestor. Brimstone Jack had made a Deal with the Devil for demonic powers, and now the only way to free his soul from the agonies of Hell was to persuade one of his descendants to agree to take up the power and the price. Sarah couldn't sign the contract fast enough. After her parents "mysteriously" died, she was sent to relatives in Emerald City. When their first attempt at disciplining her led to another "mysterious" fire devastating their home, they couldn't pass her off to the Elysian Academy fast enough.
- Deal with the Devil: Agreed to take up Brimstone Jack's place in Hell upon death in exchange for gaining his demonic powers.
- Dumb Muscle: Brimstone has a lot of power, but she's not very bright and kind of crazy; she's outright called too happy and deluded with her current lot to realize that the Elysian Academy is using her.
- Imagination Based Super Power: Rather than straightforward blasts of Hellfire, Brimstone shapes it into solid constructs; inspired by her ancestor, she mostly does so by creating a flaming Hellish Horse to ride upon for increased mobility and using lariats, six-shooters and scatter-guns made of hellfire to attack.
- Legacy Character: Calls herself Brimstone, after her ancestor's nickname.
- Playing with Fire: Specifically, what Brimstone wields is Hellfire, a demonic flame that can burn souls and is all but impossible to heal.
- Self-Made Orphan: It's quite obvious that Brimstone was the one who murdered her parents and burned their house to the ground. Mere whim kept her from killing her relatives in turn.
- The Sociopath: She's outright described as sociopathic and cruel, her instabilities only made worse by the demonic taint on her soul.
- Yandere: Brimstone's "love" for Demonwing is explicitly called out as being unhealthy, manipulative and obsessive. Likewise, if she ever felt he'd stopped loving her, she would seek revenge with all of her capacity for crazed cruelty.
DemonwingIn a cruel cosmic joke, devout Roman Catholic Adolfo Tapia Ibarra found himself reshaped into a form resembling a Catholic interpretation of the devil by the Silver Storm. Between his family's own fearful withdrawal from his terrifying (to them) new visage and the financial strain of caring for those members of the family who were injured but not transformed during the Storm, the Elysian Academy's offer of a scholarship and a generous stipend that would cover the costs of his relatives seemed a Godsend. When he found himself amongst people who didn't care about his appearance, and even a girl who loved him, he only became more convinced that God was smiling upon him again. He has yet to realize the true nature of the Academy, and when that happens, he will be presented with a hard choice.
- Big Red Devil: Between the horns, the crimson skin, the "devilish" spade-tipped tail, the fangs, the black, claw-like nails and the leathery wings, Demonwing earns his moniker.
- Blessed with Suck: Demonwing's transformation has given him a drastic increase in strength, dexterity and agility, flight, ripping claws, the ability to see in the dark, and immunity to many forms of harm, but all at the cost of looking like one of the worst monsters in his faith.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Nightcrawler, being a noble-hearted devout Catholic who, in an incredible irony, is also a mutant who looks like a demon.
- Creepy Good: He may look like a monster, but he's a quiet, shy, polite, good-hearted boy who sincerely believes in his Catholic upbringing. There's still a very good chance that he would reject the Academy once he learned of its evil nature.
Ms ScorpionDaughter of former supervillains Sportsman I and Princess Poison, Melissa Cutler earned her parent's scorn by inheriting no super-powers at all. Although doted upon by her super-strong brother, who tried to carefully warn her against it, Melissa's drive for parental acceptance made her attempt to find a career as a super-villain. Adopting the persona of Ms. Scorpion and feigning inheritance of her mother's toxin-manipulating powers, Melissa earned a place in the Elysian Academy. When the truth came out, she had displayed such talent, skill and drive that the school decided to retain her, judging she would more than warrant her position as leader of the Alpha Group, the most promising young super-villains.
- Abusive Parents: Her parents emotionally abused her for being completely devoid of powers.
- Badass Normal: She has no powers at all, and faked that she had them in order to get accepted into the Academy, but her physical prowess, fanatical drive and leadership potential all helped her to earn a legitimate place as leader of the Academy's Alpha Group.
- Improbable Weapon User: She wields the "Scorpion Sting Whip", a long lash with a hooked blade on the tip soaked in poison.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Both of her parents and her older brother have super powers. Ms. Scorpion has nothing but wits, drive and skill.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: A female example, but, her driving motivation is to try and win the love and approval of her parents.
Night TerrorPlain and ordinary, nobody really noticed Katherine Ferrin. That would come back to haunt them. Always obsessed with those around her, and fascinated by the process of ferreting out secrets, eventually, Katherine's sheer determination awoke a power inside of herself - the ability to enter the dreams of others. She swiftly grew addicted to using this power, and the trail of ruined lives stemming from those who got on her bad side quickly drew the attention of the Shadow Academy. By this point no longer physically requiring sleep, Katherine eagerly signed up at the prospect of growing ever-more powerful.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: From just a nosy little wallflower to a nightmare-spreading dream-fouler who's grown addicted to using her powers.
- Mind Control: She can put people to sleep, or force them to stay awake, can inflict nightmares, and can create illusions by summoning nightmares into reality.
- Power Born of Madness: Her insanity and her powers have grown hand in hand, and it's hard to separate the two anymore.
Winter WrathCold, calculating and goal-orientated, Yu Yin "Raymond" Lee knew that when his mutant powers to create and manipulate ice set in, becoming a super-villain would be far more profitable than becoming a super-hero. So, when the Elysian Academy came sniffing after the young mutant, his answer was already considered. To this ice-hearted young man, training to be a super-powered assassin and thief is no different than any other high-profit business venture schooling.
- An Ice Person: Winter Wrath has the ability to freeze and condense ambient moisture in the air, using it to create ice, as well as project lethally intense cold.
- Composite Character: He has Iceman's appearance and power set, but his villainous morality, opportunistic personality and ruthless pragmatism are all much more like Captain Cold.
Marionette (Modern Age)Raised from birth by Taurus, Jean Braid is the granddaughter of the World War II-era Communist supervillain Alison Geller, aka the first Marionette. Inheriting her grandmother's potent psychic abilities, her upbringing has also left her deeply malleable, and little better than a puppet herself.
- Irony: Despite having the power to make others into little more than puppets, Marionette's own resistance to will-dominating attacks or abilities is practically nil, due to having been raised since birth as a brainwashed slave.
- More Than Mind Control: She has incredibly potent Psychic Powers that let her do everything from subtly manipulate others to outright enslave their minds.