The Four Maidens
The Four Maidens, also known as the Sisterhood of the Seasonal Maidens, comprises of four female individuals who inherited the gift of magical powers representing the four seasons from the original four sisters bestowed to them by The Wizard from the Remnant fairytale, The Story of the Seasons, and used them to keep the seasons in balance and benefit the whole of mankind.
As much time passed, new guardians eventually inherited the powers of the Four Maidens when the old ones finally passed on. As of the present, the current Four Maidens featured in RWBY Destiny of Remnant have been revealed to be Amethyst Rilo (Spring), Heliosia Ainea (Summer), Amber (Fall) and Elsa Vorst (Winter).
- Beauty = Goodness: All holders of the Maiden powers were quite gorgeous, with the possible exception of Cinder Fall and Salem after their corruption.
- Celibate Hero: All Maidens have to obey the Virginity Rule when they received their powers, i.e. Maidens must remain pure of virtue, meaning that sexual intimacy is forbidden or else they would lose their powers. However, they are still allowed to show their love in other ways.
- Color-Coded Characters: The Maidens each have a distinct colour.
- Color-Coded Elements: When using their respective Maiden powers, the Four Maidens have displayed a significant colour each.
- Amethyst is Purple as she's the Maiden of Earth, although when using her Green Thumb powers it's Green.
- Heliosia is Red as she's the Maiden of Fire.
- Amber is Orange, although she's the Maiden of Air.
- and Elsa is Blue as she's the Maiden of Ice.
- Color-Coded Eyes: We have a few examples.
- Amethyst has violet eyes.
- Heliosia has maroon-red eyes.
- Amber has brown eyes.
- and Elsa has blue eyes.
- Due to the Dead: Previous holders of the Maiden powers were remembered by their statues at each of the Tribute Shrines in the Maidens' mindscape, with the first Four Maidens from The Story of the Seasons having a place of honor among them.
- Mental World: The Maidens' mindscape is a magical other world heavily steeped in the power of the seasons where the Four Maidens can meet up at certain times and discuss anything between themselves. According to Elsa, legends tell that the Wizard had used his magic to protect that particular world by making it unable to be accessed by a Maiden or former Maiden with evil in their hearts as a precaution. Reality Is Out to Lunch there as well, since all four seasons can apparently exist at the same time in that place.
- The Three Faces of Eve: Amethyst is The Child, Heliosia is The Seductress, Elsa is The Wife.
Chosen Voice Actress: Danielle Judovits
Debut: Chapter 54: Return Part II: Going Forward
The current inheritor of the Spring Maiden's power, who is the youngest and most free-spirited of the Four Maidens. She's optimistic, energetic and idealistic due to possessing a cheerful personality. Amethyst fights with Gembreaker, a transformable sword and bow hybrid weapon which can switch between both forms within the span of a few seconds.
- Action Girl: While she isn't as skilled as Heliosia in hand-to-hand combat, Amethyst was still capable of holding her own in a fight as well.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Lil' Sis" by Heliosia, the Summer Maiden.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: With Heliosia when fighting against the Grimm Manticores in Chapter 79.
- Bar Brawl: Participated in one to kick the butt of a drunken Huntsman in Chapter 54.
- Bi the Way: According to the writers, Amethyst is confirmed to be bi-sexual even though she's more inclined towards other girls at times.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She can be quite jovial and optimistic, but when things get serious she's easily able to kick a lot of butt.
- Blow You Away: She utilizes wind at times when using her Spring Maiden powers, not unlike the Fall Maiden Amber. She has also demonstrated the ability to shape harmless grass blades into sharp projectiles that she used the wind to hurl them at Anansi as a Flechette Storm of sorts.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Amethyst never knew her parents as she was born an orphan. Her father was apparently an over-confident Huntsman who bit off more than he could chew and got himself killed before she was born, while her mother passed away due to Death by Childbirth.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Whenever Amethyst's Semblance kicks in, any fight will easily become this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Was shown to be one in a couple of Chapters.
- Death Glare: Gives one to General Ironwood in Chapter 64.
- Elemental Powers: In addition to having Green Thumb abilities, Amethyst can also cause water to sprout out near her and reshape earth bodies to her will.
- Fireball Eyeballs: When she taps into her Spring Maiden powers, Amethyst's eyes glow brightly with the shapes of green leaves forming within her eyes.
- Fragile Speedster: Her personal fighting style is apparently tailored towards this.
- Genki Girl: Amethyst is described to be quite energetic and free-spirited by other characters.
- Great Bow: Her personal weapon certainly is this.
- Green Thumb: She has shown the ability to control plant life and certain water bodies. The in-universe fairy tale of the Four Seasons implies that an affinity with plants was associated with the very first Spring Maiden.
- Heroic BSoD: Suffers one after learning that her fellow sister Maiden Elsa was killed.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Gembreaker is a combination of a longsword and a bow.
- Multishot: Has shown the ability to fire a trio of Dust arrows at one go at times during battle.
- Personality Swap: Her personal Semblance literally changes her from a bubbly and kind girl into an emotionless killing machine, as seen in Chapter 76.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite being the smallest of the Four Maidens, she's plenty strong and can withstand a lot of punishment before bouncing back.
- Purple Is Powerful: She has shades of this colour for her overall costume design.
- Shock and Awe: She has also demonstrated the ability to hurl crackling bolts of white lightning from her open hands.
- Shout-Out: A few examples.
- Stronger Than They Look: Amethyst may look weak somehow physically, but due to being enhanced by the power of the Spring Maiden she's actually much stronger than she looked to be.
- The Empath: Amthyst can sense the emotions of others, and hence can easily know about their feelings.
- The Glomp: Gives an enthusiastic one to Heliosia when they were reunited.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Child, since she's the bubbly and energetic one of the Maidens.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her outfit's hood was a gift from the previous holder of the Spring Maiden's powers, who was apparently named Rachel.
- Trick Arrow: Gembreaker can fire a variety of Dust arrows, and so far the following have been seen.
- Fire Dust arrows can set things on fire and cause explosions.
- Water Dust arrows can be used to create water or put out fires.
- Water and Air (Blue and White) arrows can create ice and freeze things.
- Earth Dust arrows can bludgeon or generate sand, dirt or stone structures.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple-coloured hair.
Chosen Voice Actress: Kari Wahlgren
Debut: Chapter 54: Return Part II: Going Forward
The current inheritor of the Summer Maidens power, who is considered the largest and most physically powerful of the Four Maidens. Shes smart, strong, beautiful, as well as possessing a determined and passionate personality. Heliosia fights with Flameguard, a retractable staff that has a metallic hook with a Dust crystal at one end, and an ejectable kusarigama chain in the other.
- Action Girl: Heliosia is considered the most skilled among the Four Maidens at hand-to-hand combat, single-handedly fighting off several of her Remnant Knight protectors during her sparring sessions, and was shown to hold her own against Salems agents easily while using her Summer Maiden powers.
- Always Someone Better: Heliosia is sometimes this to Amethyst.
- Affectionate Nickname: She has two known so far.
- Simply "H" by Amethyst Rilo, the Spring Maiden.
- Frequently addressed as My Lady by Sharp Strike.
- Amazonian Beauty: A given since shes the physically strongest of the Four Maidens, as her muscularity can attest.
- Ambiguously Brown: While not as dark as Amber, Heliosia was mentioned to have tanned skin that was described as sun-kissed.
- Anger Born of Worry: Let's just say she isnt a fan of Amethyst throwing herself into dangerous situations.
- Asskicking Pose: Tends to adopt one before a fighting scene.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Even if she's disarmed, Heliosia can still throw out a variety of barehanded martial arts.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Done a few times during the fight sequences involving her against Salems agents.
- Barrier Warrior: While she mostly deflects enemy projectiles with her staff, there were times she allows a shot or two to bounce off her powerful Aura.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Happened a few times in the fic.
- With Pyrrha in Chapter 73.
- With Sharp Strike in Chapter 76.
- With Amethyst in Chapter 79.
- Badass Boast: Gives one to Thorn in Chapter 76.Heliosia Ainea: (referring to Thorn stealing her powers) You can try. I could use the challenge.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit bares a little skin of her torso at the lower sides.
- Bear Hug: Gives one to Amethyst when they were reunited.
- Berserk Button: As an example, she absolutely despises bullies. The Black Vipers gangsters learn this the hard way.
- Boobs of Steel: She has the largest set of breasts among the Four Maidens, and is also the strongest physical female fighter of the group.
- Braids of Action: Has two short ones with interlaced burgundy-coloured beads framing her face.
- Brainy Brunette: She has coffee brown hair and was also quite intelligent as well.
- Buxom Is Better: And how! She has the biggest bust out of the four Maidens, able to rival the likes of Yang and Pyrrha. Heres a reference picture.
- Catch a Falling Star: She was caught by Sharp Strike in this way during the chase scene in Chapter 73.
- Celibate Hero: A variation of this because of the important Virginity Rule of the Four Maidens, i.e. Maidens must remain pure of virtue, meaning that they cannot make love or else they would lose their powers.
- Cool Big Sis: Fills the role as one to the younger Amethyst Rilo, the Spring Maiden.
- Death Glare: Gives one to Thorn Branch, since the latter was trying to steal the Summer Maidens powers from her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has her moments within the fic.
- Dishing Out Dirt: In a flashback, Heliosia used her powers to summon up a sandstorm in the deserts of Vacuo.
- Dude Magnet: To say that she attracted a lot of male attention would be an understatement. There were also a few examples that she had even gotten the attention of certain female characters as well.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Unintentionally provides an eye candy feast for Ilia Amitola who was spying on her in Chapter 62.
- Elemental Absorption: Heliosias personal Semblance allows her to absorb and store excess thermal energy, which can be then redirected in a number of ways such as draining heat from certain objects and people, to releasing it in a safer way away from others. (or a more dangerous way, depending on the situation.)
- Elemental Powers: While fully capable of fighting with Dust, Heliosia can conjure up and throw out flaming fireballs and waves of hot flames at her opponents when using her Summer Maiden powers. She had also been shown to send out devastating blasts of scorching energy at certain times during battle as well, and was once shown creating a giant fireball to destroy a number of Grimm Manticores.
- Establishing Character Moment: Heliosia's first appearance in Chapter 54 shows her chatting amicably with Team NDGO in Shade Academy, politely offering her thoughts and opinions about the latter Team's performance during the Vytal Festival against Team SSSN. It shows her sociable personality and her skills in parsing out the strengths and weaknesses of others in combat.
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears a pair with subtly glowing orange sigils etched on them.
- Fireball Eyeballs: When she taps into her Summer Maiden powers, Heliosias eyes glow brightly with the shape of the sun surrounding them.
- Friend to All Children: In Chapter 59, Heliosia visits an orphanage in Vacuo City while in disguise with her Knight Vanguard Fire Walker. It has also been mentioned she donated generously to help the orphans there.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Her personal weapon Flameguard has such a function.
- Hartman Hips: She has some very noticeable hips for a girl.
- Head-Turning Beauty: She has been mentioned as a "Sexy ball of Fire" by the fanfic writers themselves.
- Heir to the Dojo: Was originally the heiress to the Raging Tempest martial arts school in Mistral before she received the powers to become the current Summer Maiden.
- Heroic Build: Shes so well-built that even Yang was envious of Heliosia's own muscular physique!
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Heliosia normally holds back during fights, but when she doesnt it becomes a Curb-Stomp Battle rather quickly.
- In the Hood: During her travels around Remnant, she wears a cool-looking brown cloak with a hood to disguise her identity as the Summer Maiden.
- Lightning Bruiser: She is very strong, and very fast as well. Just ask Thorn.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Even with her Summer Maiden powers which are pretty magical, Heliosias fight against Thorn Branch shows that shes proficient enough to mixing it up in terms of hand-to-hand fighting techniques and openly integrates her powers into her close-range combat skills at times.
- Meaningful Name: Her second name Ainea is a reference to Aine, who is commonly known as the Celtic Goddess of Summer.
- Memento MacGuffin: Heliosia wears a small simple necklace with a round shaped circular clasp inset with a shimmering sapphire, which looked like it's split in half and seemed to be part of a paired set. It was implied that whoever she was searching for across Remnant had the other half.
- Ms. Fanservice: A somewhat unintentional example, even among the RWBY Destiny of Remnant cast.
- Readers (and Ilia) get to see her in an exercise bikini during a workout session in Chapter 62, for example.
- A few chapters had dedicated quite a number of paragraphs to describing how gorgeous she actually looked like from the perspectives of other characters.
- Nice Guy: The female version. Heliosia is generally well-liked by anyone who has met her, except those who meant her harm or worse.
- She welcomes Pyrrha warmly along with Amethyst and Elsa in the Maidens' mindscape in Chapter 60, despite the latter not being the Fall Maiden.
- Playing with Fire: It has also been explicitly mentioned that Heliosias fully capable of Pyrokinesis like the other Summer Maidens before her. The in-universe fairy tale of the Four Seasons implies that a fire affinity was associated with the very first Summer Maiden.
- Power Floats: During some scenes when her Summer Maiden powers are activated, Heliosia was seen to be able to float into the air while unleashing massive blasts of hot flames.
- Real Name as an Alias: Heliosia's cover name (among others she had used before) when she was staying at Shade Academy was simply 'Adara Aenia'.
- Red Is Heroic: Her outfit incorporates a lot of red colours.
- She-Fu: Heliosias physical skills are so top-notch that she can take on numerically superior enemies and emerge (mostly) without a scratch. Shes able to perform a variety of stunning acrobatic feats which includes handsprings, cartwheels, flips and combat rolls in ways that would severely tax anyone else. She was also shown to be able to swiftly dodge enemy attacks and dish out incredible amounts of punishment within seconds.
- She's also easily the most badass of the Four Maidens due to her impressive combat skills, proficient weapon usage, great reflexes and resourcefulness in battle.
- She Is All Grown Up: Implied to have some form of previous relationship with Sharp Strike when they were younger.
- Simple Staff: Her weapon has a red fire Dust crystal at one end which allows her to produce jets of flame, and is also a Grappling-Hook Pistol of sorts. At the other end is an extendable kurisagama chain with a sun motif which she utilizes as a whip to ensnare or grab onto stuff.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Heliosia has mentioned she had previously loved someone in the past, and due to some unfortunate circumstances was separated from him. She had been searching for him ever since across Remnant, although the identity of that person was yet to be revealed.
- Super Strength: She has enhanced strength thanks to the power of the Summer Maiden, even moreso than her other sisters.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few to various movie and animated female characters.
- Her name is actually a portmanteau of two different names, mainly Helios who is the god and personification of the Sun in Greek mythology, and Imperator Furiosa from Mad Max: Fury Road. (Furiosa means "furious" in Latin, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.)
- The second part of her name Ainea is possibly referring to Áine, who is the Irish goddess of summer, wealth and sovereignty.
- Her personality, weapon concept, and overall character design echoes that of Astrid Hofferson from How to Train Your Dragon.
- Her backstory had certain references taken from Tomoe Ame from Usagi Yojimbo.
- Her character personality and certain quirks had also drawn inspiration from both Agents Carolina and Tex(as) from Red vs. Blue.
- The comment that Nebula Violette of Team NDGO mentioned about a certain 'Adara Aenia' (which is the cover name for Heliosia Ainea the Summer Maiden) beating Team HVST in pugil stick matches, dominating Team KAKI in hand-to-hand combat, and even defeated Team SHDW in a four-to-one showdown is a reference to Agent Texas's fight against Agents York, Wyoming and Maine in Season 9 Episode 10 Introductions of the Project Freelancer arc of the popular machinima Red vs. Blue.
- Technical Pacifist: Her actions certainly points to this.
- Temporal Theme Naming: Females with seasonal names are all very plot significant, and Heliosia is no exception. Refer to Meaningful Name above.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The (unintentional) Seductress. She's independent and very strong-willed compared to the other Maidens.
- Vigilante Man: The female version of this trope. During her six months period of staying in Vacuo City, Heliosia had been secretly waging a one-woman war against the criminal gangs to protect the weak and the innocent. All the while still being able to keep her identity a secret and striking fear in the hearts of various gang members at the same time.
- Walking the Earth: Heliosia had been travelling around Remnant while performing her duties as the Summer Maiden.
- It is mentioned that she had been searching for The Wizard, who had mysteriously gone missing like the previous Summer Maidens before her.
- It is also implied that she was searching for someone else as well, possibly someone who was also very important to her.
- Whip It Good: Uses the kurisagama chain of her weapon as an improvised whip at times when fighting her opponents.
- Wreathed in Flames: Had demonstrated the ability to wreath her gloved fists in flames during a fight.
Voice Actress: Laura Bailey
Please see Amber's page at World of Remnant Characters page.
- Adaptation Expansion: We get to see a bit more of Amber's personality and her benevolent actions as the Fall Maiden before her powers were stolen by Cinder Fall from the other three Maidens in the various Chapters.
Chosen Voice Actress: Seychelle Gabriel
Debut: Chapter 8: The Pieces Come Together
The current inheritor of the Winter Maidens power, who is considered the regal and most even-headed of the Four Maidens. She's calm, reflective, reliable and possessed a mature personality. Elsa fights with a crossbow weapon that has yet to be named, which can shoot various Dust-enhanced bolts at rapid speeds.
- An Ice Person: She's the Winter Maiden, what do you expect from someone with that kind of title?
- She can easily create ice constructs with her powers, such as a platform to launch herself into the air, shield herself from incoming projectiles and so on. She also uses her Maiden powers to freeze her enemies solid. Also, the in-universe fairy tale of the Four Seasons implies that the ability to create ice was associated with the very first Winter Maiden.
- Automatic Crossbows: She fights with one that can uses various Dust-enhanced bolts as its ammunition.
- Blue Is Heroic: Her clothing has quite a number of shades of blue.
- Cool Big Sis: Fills the role as one for Amber, the deceased Fall Maiden. She also acts as one for all Four Maidens, being the most senior of them all.
- Mystical White Hair: She has platinum-blonde hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She's the blue oni to Amethyst's red oni, since the latter is clearly more eager.
- Shout-Out: Here's a couple of examples.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Wife, since she's more level-headed and mature compared to Amethyst and Helisoia. She's also secretly in love with her fellow team member Kaifin.
Chosen Voice Actor: Travis Willingham
Debut: Chapter 8: The Pieces Come Together
Kaifin is an accomplished Huntsman from Atlas Academy, in addition to also being Elsa Vorst's personal Guardian and lover. He's reasonable, strong-minded and more than willing to fight for what he truly believes in. Kaifin fights with a pair of heavy machine pistols which uses a variety of different Dust ammunition, both of which has yet to be named.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents were apparently killed by Grimm during a scientific expedition into the cold mountains of Atlas.
- Determinator: He will do whatever it takes to be with his lover Elsa, be it fighting against other Atlesian Specialists or adversaries sent by Salem.
- Dual Wielding: Fights with twin heavy machine pistols.
- Nice Guy: He's warm and friendly when meeting Jaune, Pyrrha and Ruby. He also encourages Jaune to stay by Pyrrha's side and support her as much as he can no matter the circumstances.
- The Gunslinger: His fighting style is most definitely this.
Chosen Voice Actor/Actress: Not Applicable
A number of previous holders of the Maiden powers are mentioned here and there throughout the fic. While history and legends wouldn't know of their names, they do make significant impact...or sometimes secret ones to the world of Remnant, and they are all fondly remembered by subsequent holders of the Maiden powers till present day.
- Aerith and Bob: Among the names of previous Maidens name-dropped in the fic, we have examples like Nieva and Aestas for the former, Ember and Rachel for the latter.
- Meaningful Name: A couple of examples.
- One of the previous Winter Maidens was mentioned by Ember in Chapter 63 to be named Nieva, which comes from the Latin word Niveus meaning "snow-white".
- Another Winter Maiden mentioned in Chapter 60 was named Gerta Bely, which probably refers to The White Nights (Belye Nochi) which are a curious phenomenon caused by St. Petersburg's very northerly geographical location.
- In Chapter 60, Heliosia mentioned the holder of the Summer Maiden powers before her was named Aestas, which is the Latin word for "Summer".