Tropes for the characters of Cute High Earth Defense Club Happy Kiss!.
For characters from the first series, see here.
Tropes applying to all of them:
- Magical Girl Warrior: As usual for the series, gender flipped.
- Theme Naming: Surprisingly consistent for their magical boy names this time around: Stellar Theme Naming for the secondary colors, and nature theme naming for the primary colors. All of them are written in Italian, to boot.
- Also evident in the surnames, just like their predecessors. However, there is a Karurusu Onsen.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Kyotaro's is white, Ichiro's is dark pink, and Taishi's is dark green.
Kyotaro Shuzenji/Fiore KissA halfhearted and lazy young man. Loves taking baths.
- Beautiful Dreamer: The opening sequence shows him asleep with his head in Ryouma's lap.
- Childhood Friends: With Ryouma and Ata.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Unlike Yumoto, the energetic fuzzball who took to Battle Lover activities immediately, Kyotaro couldn't care less about being a magical boy and is the most lax of the group.
- Friend to All Living Things: For whatever reason, he has a tendency to attract small animals, particularly birds and cats, to him while he's asleep. According to Ryouma, animals have always been fond of him.
- Subverted with Karls, who he finds extremely annoying. Kyotaro's reaction to the otter prince trying to rope them into becoming Happiness Knights is to threaten to turn him into a scarf.
- Lazy Bum: Probably the least motivated of the whole cast. His biggest ambition in life is to be a senile old man, purely so people can take care of him.
- Red Is Heroic: Subverted. While he is the leader of the group, he can't be bothered to lead properly, and the other Knights theorize he got the role because he contracted first. Lampshaded by Ichiro, who under normal circumstances would have fit better (one of the youngest, hot blooded, and has the pink color common to Magical Girl leaders).
- Super Drowning Skills: Has a tendency to fall asleep in the water at the bathhouse. At least every other episode, his friends have to rescue him after he passes out and slips under the water.
Ryouma Kirishima/Stella KissKyotaro's best friend. While kind to a fault, he can also be bit of a pushover. He makes sure Kyotaro doesn't get into trouble.
- Childhood Friends: With Kyotaro and Ata.
- Extreme Doormat: Zigzagged. One of the first thing he does after being introduced is take Nanao's order to make tea. However, he's generally unmotivated to battle monsters, even when Karls is telling him to fight.
- Nice Guy: The most polite and mild-mannered member of the group.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Green eyes, red hair, and a knight of happiness.
- Sweet Tooth: Is very found of sweets. Nanao (the Defense Club member in charge of snacks) takes note and misses no opportunity to use food to tease him.
Nanao Wakura/Luna KissThe current president of the Defense Club. Social and charismatic, but can't stay silent for long. He loves picking on Ryouma.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Met Ichiro once in the past, where he told him that he's fine as he is and that his charm is his personality; Ichiro, however, remembers this meeting clearly.
- Friendly Enemy: With Taiju due to running a stall together in the past.
- The Gadfly: Likes to tease and is indiscriminate when it comes to choosing his victims.
- I Was Just Joking: Upon realizing that their wands can shoot magic, he decides to try and attack the monster...while Ryouma is directly in his line of fire. After watching his friend squirm for a few moments, he says this and proceeds to turn around and fire on the monster.
- Actually, considering what a sarcastic and sadistic jerk he is, this might as well be his catchphrase. It's usually his go-to defense when he's caught messing with Ryouma, as well.
- It's also evident in that his image song's title is the Engrish Sadistically Be Happy.
- Perpetual Smiler: Never seen without a smile on his face.
Taishi Manza/Neve KissThe Defense Club's resident egghead. While he mostly keeps his bookish demeanor, he can get surprisingly crass when stressed.
- The Baby of the Bunch: With Ichiro. They are the only first years in the Defense Club, and Ryouma and Nanao even refer to them as "the little ones", much to their chagrin.
- Hotblooded: Taishi seems to be this. He's the most eager to fight in episode one, charging straight in.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Plays the Noble to Ichiro's Roguish. However, he has a delinquent side that shows from time to time, as evidenced by the previous dotpoint.
- The Smart Guy: Subverted. While he is fairly intelligent, he's also known as the Defense Club's #1 on useless trivia, and his strategy for beating the first enemy was just whaling on it.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Has the archetype down.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Constantly bickering with his close friend Ichiro.
Ichiro Dougo/Spazio KissA brash, reckless student who gets into spats with Taishi.
- The Baby of the Bunch: With Taishi. They are the only first years in the Defense Club, and Ryouma and Nanao even refer to them as "the little ones", much to their chagrin.
- Book Dumb: Doesn't have good grades, but makes up for it with his straightforward attitude.
- Cute Little Fangs: Has them.
- Hotblooded: Unlike his partner, he's more open about it. Everyone else in the Defense Club is aware of it, too.Ichiro: SENPAIS!!! !(jumps several steps on the staircase at once)Nanao: And the morning screamer is here.
- Motor Mouth: When he gets upset.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: The Roguish to Taishi's Noble.
- Sweet Tooth: Says that he loves anything with sugar in it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Constantly bickering with his close friend Taishi.
KarlsA yellow otter, who is actually a magical prince from Honyara Land and one of its potential successors for the throne.
Tropes applying to all of them:
- Theme Naming: Onsens for surnames in civilian form, precious gems in German in Conquest Club form (diamond/rose quartz/amethyst in comparison to the original gold/silver/pearl).
Ata Ibusuki/Ritter DiamantPresident of the student council. Despises laziness.
- Childhood Friends: With Kyotaro and Ryouma.
- Cooldown Hug: After Ata is turned into a monster in episode 11, an injured Kyotaro is able to snap him out of it by embracing him and apologizing for not caring about his feelings and hurting him when they were children.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Ostensibly the reason he hates Kyotaro so much. When they were children, Kyotaro was athletic, popular, and talented, despite not putting in any effort. Ata's attempts to surpass him lead to him becoming jaded and frustrated. The final straw was when they went to the bath house with Ryouma for the first time. Ata had never taken a bath in public and was embarrassed and scared about being naked in front of his friends. His grudge stemmed from the fact that, not only was Kyotaro more confident than him, but he hadn't considered his feelings at all and seemingly hadn't cared when a hurt Ata ran away.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: As a child, he was very shy and timid, except when he was with Kyotaro and Ryouma. Ironically, the reason he grew to hate Kyotaro was because he was confident and extremely popular without even trying.
Taiju Unazuki/Ritter RosenquarzVice-president of the student council.—-
- Affably Evil: Unlike Ata and Maasa, he does not appear to have any sadistic tendencies and doesn't despise the Happy Knights. In fact, he still keeps up his friendship with Nanao, despite the fact that they are now enemies. Also, in episode three, he admits to Nanao that the main reason that he agreed to join the Edelstein was because the other two student council members were fired up about it and, as the oldest of the three, he feels that it's his responsibility to look after them.
- Friendly Enemy: With Nanao.
- Meaningful Name: His first name means "great tree" and much like a tree, he's tall and protective of anything under his care...but can also be unforgiving of anything outside it.
- Nice Guy: Unlike his fellow student council members, he's very polite and doesn't have anything personal against the Defense Club. Prominently, in episode three, while Ata and Maasa couldn't give a crap about the ice-cream stand owner whose only employee was just turned into a monster, Taiju's immediate response is to throw his his coat at Ata and volunteer to run the stand so the owner can leave, despite the other two thinking that he's crazy for wanting to do menial work, and he clearly enjoys the job.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His Edelstein name is spelled both "Rosenquarz" (merchandise) and "Rose Quartz" (English subs).
Maasa Shirahone/Ritter AmethystThe secretary, and youngest member, of the student council.
- Beauty Is Bad: As stated in episode one by the victim of the week, he's considered one of the cutest and most beautiful guys at school. As it turns out, NO he definitely isn't as cute as he appears. Underneath his "innocent kid" appearence, is a cynical and sadistic guy with nothing but disrespect and contempt for most people, bar his fellow student council members.
- Childhood Friends: As it is later revealed, he's Ichiro's cousin and former elementary school friend.
- The Cynic: As it turns out, underneath his cute exterior, is an extremely jaded and hateful guy. It turns out that this stems from his own self-hate.
- The Cutie: An adorable kid who loves fuzzy animals and making sweets to give to other people. It's later revealed that Maasa purposely invoked this trope in order to escape from his embarrassing past.
- The Fake Cutie: As it turns out, he's actually quite the sadist underneath his cute and innocent demeanor, even to the point of internally deriding people as "disgusting pigs" while they are fawning over how adorable he is. When he's in a particularly foul mood, he bakes fat-enhancing butter into his treats to make the people who eat them gain a bunch of excess weight.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: To the students of Binan High School, he is an adorable and childlike first year who loves cute things and making sweets to hand out. In reality, he's a bit of a sadist who thinks most humans are utter scum.
- I Hate Past Me: As a child, his love for sweets lead to him becoming extremely obese. While he wasn't exactly bullied, his classmates attitude towards his weight hurt him deeply. While studying overseas, he underwent an extreme transformation, losing his excess weight, becoming attractive, and crafting a cute and innocent persona that other people would love and respect. He even went so far as to change his name. It's been years and no one, not even his own cousin Ichiro recognizes or remembers him from elementary school. Despite this, he is still disgusted by who he used to be and aggressively forces himself to maintain his new image.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The fandom had a bit of a hard time finding out whether his name was "Maasa" (a legitimate Japanese name) or "Martha" since it was written in katakana. The merchandise and relevant eyecatch goes with the latter. The confusion stems from the fact his name was "Magozaemon" in the past.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink.