The main heroine of the story. The last Sanjiyan (a race of demons who resemble humans with an extra eye in the middle of their foreheads) who wants to be a normal human
. She has two personalities, absolute Genki Girl
Pai, and haughty Parvati. She runs into Yakumo and, after her 'pet' killed him, turned him into an undead. Now the two of them have to travel the world to look for a way to turn them both human.
- Arranged Marriage: First to Shiva a.k.a Kaiyanwang and later to Koko.
- Badass Adorable
- Big Eater: As Pai.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Kaiyanwang has this effect on her (and every other Sanjiyan, apparently) until she learns to fight it off with The Power of Love.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: As Pai. Her idea of cooking involves magic...and an Eldritch Abomination.
- Cute Monster Girl: Sometimes, it's easy to forget she's not human.
- Eyes Always Shut: When her third eye is closed, Pai is in control. When it opens, Parvati takes over.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Most times Parvati is simply called Sanjiyan or Seima (Holy Demon), even by people that know her name.
- Friend to All Living Things: Pai. Parvati... less so.
- Gambit Roulette: She decided to join with Kaiyanwang and bring about the end of the world in order to reverse the apocalypse. This works since in order to bring about the apocalypse, Kaiyanwang had to weaken the spiritual bonds holding his body together so he could merge with souls of all of humanity, which gave Parvati a chance to escape along with the souls and powers of the unwilling sacrifices made to Kaiyanwang over the centuries. Doing this severely weakens Kaiyanwang and greatly powers up Parvati and allows her to revive the now dying Yakumo with added invincibility bonus.
- Genki Girl: As Pai
- Green-Eyed Monster: Not happy with Yakumo and Ryoko/Hua Shi's sorta-not-really relationship.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: As Parvati. She never really stray far into Jerk Ass territory, but she can be pretty mean.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Kaiyanwang\Shiva has this effect on her and every other Sanjiyan, which is amplified since she was Shiva's betrothed. She eventually learns to resist it.
- Love Triangle: At the end of the first series both her personalities and Yakumo.
- Must Not Die a Virgin: Parvati sleeps with Yakumo just before she sacrificed herself to Kaiyanwang.
- Not so Above It All: Parvati takes a liking to adult night life (booze, karaoke, bars) after spending some time as Himeji Ryoko.
- Not So Stoic: Parvati after the Lotus-Eater Machine arc. Yakumo had to convince himself it's Parvati crying on his shoulder while hugging him and nor Pai. Also, Parvati was the one to initiate the Must Not Die a Virgin moment, not Pai.
- Pinocchio Syndrome
- Really 700 Years Old: Well, about 300 or so, and she looks about 16, like Yakumo.
- Soul Jar: To Yakumo's soul.
- Tsundere: As Parvati.
- Walking the Earth: What she did prior to the series' start (traveling from Tibet to Japan on foot) and what she and Yakumo end up doing for a good portion of the series.
Your normal Ordinary Highschool Student
who ran into Pai when the story starts and, after some events, ended up as her undead slave/companion/protector/familiar/lover(?), depending on who you ask.
- Badass Normal: For the first two or three volumes, his only advantage is his Healing Factor.
- Empowered Badass Normal: After the Time Skip, he returns as a summoner/martial artist/zombie. Later events power him up to a level where he can fight evenly with Benares and gain a Red Baron status with other lesser demons, which is no small feat.
- Chick Magnet: Damn near every female in the series who doesn't already have a partner has had a crush on him at some point. Doesn't matter if they're human or not.
- Defeat Means Friendship: If whatever he's fighting with is not explicitly aligned with the Big Bad (there are exceptions) and doesn't die, this usually happens.
- Determinator: His defining trait.
- Game Face: After his merging with Amara, whenever he uses the latter's power, his body gains some demonic features.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Was not happy about Pai's Arranged Marriage to Koko.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Played with. Yakumo has to win a kickboxing match against an opponent with a highly superior fighting technique and he can't use magic because of all the muggles betting on the fight. So he purposely requests a barehanded kickboxing match without boxing gloves, so he and his opponent will get hurt more, so he can win in the long run due to his healing factor.
- Heroic BSOD: Happens a few times. The most striking ones were when Mama-san and Natsuko gets turned into... something and Parvati sacrificed herself. Doesn't keep him down for long.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: His goal at the beginning, later it becomes saving the world when he learned that the method to be a normal human again requires Pai/Parvati to sacrifice her power to Kaiyanwang.
- Implacable Man: Having regeneration and basically being undead means nothing can keep him down as long as Parvati is still alive. Not even if you blow him up into the atomic level, which has happened.
- Nice Guy: Most of the time.
- Older Than They Look: For the most of the series he is around his twenties while still looking 16, it gets jarring in 3X3 Eyes Gaiden where Yakumo may already be 30, and due his immortality still looks underage.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Despite being a Bad Ass capable of leveling entire cities, he rarely gets any easy fights, and only gets the upper hand against Benares a few times.
- Parental Abandonment: Dad's obsessed with the occult and was never home, mom left him to fend for himself because of it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Starting with the Time Skip and just continues from there.
- Worthy Opponent: As a fellow Wu, Benares considers him this.
Yakumo's classmate who has a crush on him (like a lot of other girls).
A Tibetan man turned into a monster who wants to marry Pai as a reward for saving her. Eventually ends up as her familiar.
A demon who takes the form of a small girl until her true power is unleashed, at which point she turns into a 4-armed beast-woman.
- Cute Monster Girl: Only in her kid form.
- Hulk Speak: When she was first introduced, she didn't speak at all. Later on, she starts speaking in grunts and snarls, like a dog, though she did speak normally at some point.
- Token Mini-Moe: In her kid form.
A tranvestite who runs the bar Yakumo works at throughout various points of the story. She/he's basically his foster parent.
Editor of Yogekisha, a Yellow Tabloid
based in Hong Kong which focused on the occult. She also provides consultation and exorcism services together with Steve.
- Badass Normal: For the first two volumes, she's shown as an Action Girl and was the first to train Yakumo in martial arts, but simply Can't Catch Up as the series goes on. She's still a prominent character, however.
- Money, Dear Boy: One of her primary motivations when she was first introduced, and continues to be one of her goals.
- Pointy Ears: She's never been shown as anything but a human, no matter what this trope may imply.
A Tao priest who works with Ling Ling. He's considered as a competent one among his peers.
- James Bondage: He was kidnapped and held captive when he was first introduced.
- The Worf Effect: You know it's getting serious when his spells can't do anything about the situation.
- Those Two Guys: With Ling Ling.
Steve's younger sister. A hotheaded girl who has a crush on Yakumo.
Yogekisha's benefactor for a while. Actually a devotee of Kaiyanwang, though she acts mostly independently of Benares.
- Dragon Lady
- Becoming the Mask: She comes to genuinely care for the heroes, and outright betrays Benares and Kaiyanwang after Yakumo says she's family to him.
- The Mole: Not a spoiler. The readers know this from the moment she appears.
Kaiyanwang's Wu, and The Dragon
in all sense of the word.
- Bad Ass
- Blood Knight: Especially clear when he's fighting Yakumo. Also the reason he messes up at the end.
- Pragmatic Villainy: He has no qualms working together with Yakumo to achieve his goals and was pretty amiable about it.
- The Dragon: To Kaiyanwang. Literally too.
- It Only Works Once: Any time Yakumo uses a new trick against Benares, he will have a counter ready or prevent Yakumo from using it in the first place in their next fight.
The Big Bad
of the series. He was sealed away hundreds of years ago by Parvati.
Himeji Ryoko/Pai /Hua Shi
A highschool girl who looks like Pai who has been experiencing strange events ever since Yakumo came into her life. She's apparently an amnesiac Pai. She's actually a snake demon who got turned into the diamond-shaped seal on Pai's forehead.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happens when she gets her memories back. And after her Face-Heel Turn near the end of the series.
- Combat Medic: More apparent after she seperates from Pai.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Genki Girl: What she retained from Pai. Even when she no longer inhabits Pai's body.
- Identity Amnesia: She's Pai as a schoolgirl and with a different name. Not really. She's actually a snake demon who was used by Benares to seal away Pai\Parvati's memory who lost her own memory, turning her into a blank slate.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Was originally Benares' underling, and she later rejoins him when blackmailed with Hahn's soul, and returns to the good guys' side later on.
- Love Makes You Crazy: After seperating from Pai and meeting Yakumo again, Benares' underling used her love for Yakumo to convince her to 'keep' him with her forever. Also happens with Hahn later on.
- Love Triangle: She briefly has this with Yakumo and Pai after reuniting with them, but backs away when it's clear Yakumo only has eyes for Pai/Parvati.
- Replacement Goldfish: Posed as Pai complete with her personality, and was briefly Yakumo's girlfriend.
- Shout-Out: She's possibly based on the ancient Chinese legendary character Madam White Snake, a snake demon who took the shape of a woman and fell in love with a human male.
- Snake People
A sorcery seller who once made a deal with Yakumo to give him summon beasts in exchange of introducing him to a beautiful girl and held a grudge since the former didn't fulfill that promise. After some events, he eventually ended up with Ryoko
- Artificial Limbs: One of his arms was replaced by a summoned beast that can turn into a scythe-like weapon after he lost it.
- Badass Normal: A completely normal human being who can go toe-to-toe with demons. He even managed to beat one of Benares' lieutenants!
- Cloning Blues: Was cloned after he was basically killed by Benares. His clone retained his love for Ryoko, but she stuck to the original's mangled corpse. Solved when the two joined together into one body.
- Love Triangle: He loves Ryoko, who seems more interested in Yakumo. They get closer with time. Later, his clone inherits the love to Ryoko from the original. Sadly for him, she still prefers the original Haan, even though he's just a corpse at this point. It's eventually solved by the two merging together.
- The Rival: Considers himself this to Yakumo.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yakumo.
An enigmatic old man who turns out to be Benares' only pupil. He mentored Yakumo for a while and gave him one of his biggest power boosts.
Benares' lieutenant who can create tentacles on whatever surface her artifact stabs.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Heel-Face Turn: She's kinda...wishy washy about it.
- Token Mini-Moe: Well, she's actually Really 700 Years Old, but she's the smallest character in the entire series and acts like a little brat most of the time.
- Tsundere: Would you believe she asked Yakumo to give her a kiss as a reward for snapping him out of his Heroic BSOD? When all she ever did to him prior to this was either attack (to kill) or argue? Dude could start his own harem if he ever felt like it...
Goddess of the people of Amara. Is actually Ushas' clone and a Sanjiyan by extension.
A Sanjiyan banished to the void and considered a goddess in the planet Amara, which was created by her Wu. Luke, I Am Your Father: She's Shiva's mother.
Ushas' Wu. He turned himself into a planet in order to support Ushas' life.
- Plant Person: This was part of the reason he managed to turn himself into a planet. Later, it allows him to survive battling Benares after losing his Wu status. Each time he gets killed, he releases a seed which grows back as him.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: His devotion and loyalty to Ushas is totally non-romantic, unlike Yakumo to Pai/Parvati, and he gets confused when the latter asks him about it.