Characters: 3×3 Eyes
Pai/ParvatiThe main heroine of the story. The last Sanjiyan (a race of demons who resemble humans with an extra eye in the middle of their foreheads) who wants to be a normal human. She has two personalities, absolute Genki Girl Pai, and haughty Parvati. She runs into Yakumo and, after her 'pet' killed him, turned him into an undead. Now the two of them have to travel the world to look for a way to turn them both human.
- Arranged Marriage: First to Shiva a.k.a Kaiyanwang and later to Koko.
- Badass Adorable
- Big Eater: As Pai.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Kaiyanwang has this effect on her (and every other Sanjiyan, apparently) until she learns to fight it off with The Power of Love.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: As Pai. Her idea of cooking involves magic...and an Eldritch Abomination.
- Cute Monster Girl: Sometimes, it's easy to forget she's not human.
- Eyes Always Shut: When her third eye is closed, Pai is in control. When it opens, Parvati takes over.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Most times Parvati is simply called Sanjiyan or Seima (Holy Demon), even by people that know her name.
- Friend to All Living Things: Pai. Parvati... less so.
- Gambit Roulette: She decided to join with Kaiyanwang and bring about the end of the world in order to reverse the apocalypse. This works since in order to bring about the apocalypse, Kaiyanwang had to weaken the spiritual bonds holding his body together so he could merge with souls of all of humanity, which gave Parvati a chance to escape along with the souls and powers of the unwilling sacrifices made to Kaiyanwang over the centuries. Doing this severely weakens Kaiyanwang and greatly powers up Parvati and allows her to revive the now dying Yakumo with added invincibility bonus.
- Genki Girl: As Pai
- Glass Cannon: Parvati is important to Kaiyanwang's plans because she has the strongest raw spiritual power of any extant Sanjiyan of her time. Benares even acknowledged her as having more raw destructive power than himself, and for about half the series his plans always include never having to fight her directly. Her physical constitution is just above a normal human, however, and she can only unleash her power in one-shot bursts since one use will exhaust her to the point of uncosnciousness.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Not happy with Yakumo and Ryoko/Hua Shi's sorta-not-really relationship.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: As Parvati. She never really stray far into Jerk Ass territory, but she can be pretty mean.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Kaiyanwang\Shiva has this effect on her and every other Sanjiyan, which is amplified since she was Shiva's betrothed. She eventually learns to resist it.
- Love Triangle: At the end of the first series both her personalities and Yakumo.
- Must Not Die a Virgin: Parvati sleeps with Yakumo just before she sacrificed herself to Kaiyanwang.
- Not So Above It All: Parvati takes a liking to adult night life (booze, karaoke, bars) after spending some time as Himeji Ryoko.
- Not So Stoic: Parvati after the Lotus-Eater Machine arc. Yakumo had to convince himself it's Parvati crying on his shoulder while hugging him and nor Pai. Also, Parvati was the one to initiate the Must Not Die a Virgin moment, not Pai.
- Pinocchio Syndrome
- Really 700 Years Old: Well, about 300 or so, and she looks about 16, like Yakumo.
- Soul Jar: To Yakumo's soul.
- Tsundere: As Parvati.
- Walking the Earth: What she did prior to the series' start (traveling from Tibet to Japan on foot) and what she and Yakumo end up doing for a good portion of the series.
Fujii YakumoYour normal Ordinary Highschool Student who ran into Pai when the story starts and, after some events, ended up as her undead slave/companion/protector/familiar/lover(?), depending on who you ask.
- Badass Normal: For the first two or three volumes, his only advantage is his Healing Factor.
- Chick Magnet: Damn near every female in the series who doesn't already have a partner has had a crush on him at some point. Doesn't matter if they're human or not.
- Defeat Means Friendship: If whatever he's fighting with is not explicitly aligned with the Big Bad (there are exceptions) and doesn't die, this usually happens.
- Determinator: His defining trait.
- Game Face: After his merging with Amara, whenever he uses the latter's power, his body gains some demonic features.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Was not happy about Pai's Arranged Marriage to Koko.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Played with. Yakumo has to win a kickboxing match against an opponent with a highly superior fighting technique and he can't use magic because of all the muggles betting on the fight. So he purposely requests a barehanded kickboxing match without boxing gloves, so he and his opponent will get hurt more, so he can win in the long run due to his healing factor.
- Heroic BSOD: Happens a few times. The most striking ones were when Mama-san and Natsuko gets turned into... something and Parvati sacrificed herself. Doesn't keep him down for long.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: His goal at the beginning, later it becomes saving the world when he learned that the method to be a normal human again requires Pai/Parvati to sacrifice her power to Kaiyanwang.
- Implacable Man: Having regeneration and basically being undead means nothing can keep him down as long as Parvati is still alive. Not even if you blow him up into the atomic level, which has happened, several times.
- Nice Guy: Most of the time.
- Older Than They Look: For the most of the series he is around his twenties while still looking 16, it gets jarring in 3X3 Eyes Gaiden where Yakumo may already be 30, and due his immortality still looks underage.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Despite being a Bad Ass capable of leveling entire cities, he rarely gets any easy fights, and only gets the upper hand against Benares a few times.
- Parental Abandonment: Dad's obsessed with the occult and was never home, mom left him to fend for himself because of it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Starting with the Time Skip and just continues from there.
- Worthy Opponent: As a fellow Wu, Benares considers him this even before his Took a Level in Badass moments.
NatsukoYakumo's classmate who has a crush on him (like a lot of other girls).
- Designated Victim / Damsel Scrappy: Every time she appears, Yakumo has to save her.
- Out of Focus: She only appears in about 3 out of 40 volumes.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: This actually becomes a driving factor of one of the arcs.
KokoA Tibetan man turned into a monster who wants to marry Pai as a reward for saving her. Eventually ends up as her familiar.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Healing Factor: Nowhere near as potent as Wus like Yakumo or Benares, but he would have been dead a few times if he didn't have this.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: He was pretty arrogant and brash the first time he was introduced, but mellows out considerably after his Heel-Face Turn
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He's got tentacles and claws that can easily kill things.
- Making a Splash: One of his favorite methods of attack is to spew forth large blasts of poisonous water.
- Replacement Goldfish: Wants Pai to be his departed wife's substitute.
- Transformation Trauma
- Was Once a Man
- The Big Guy: Her beast form is as large as Koko and her mannerisms is about the same.
- Cute Monster Girl: Only in her kid form.
- Hulk Speak: When she was first introduced, she didn't speak at all. Later on, she starts speaking in grunts and snarls, like a dog, though she did speak normally at some point.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: She has 4 arms.
- Token Mini-Moe: In her kid form.
SammaraA priestess whose purpose in life was to breed Majuus on her body, but decided to join a rebel army instead.
Mama-sanA transvestite who runs the bar Yakumo works at throughout various points of the story. She/he's basically his foster parent.
Ling LingEditor of Yogekisha, a Yellow Tabloid based in Hong Kong which focused on the occult. She also provides consultation and exorcism services together with Steve.
- Badass Normal: For the first two volumes, she's shown as an Action Girl and was the first to train Yakumo in martial arts, but simply Can't Catch Up as the series goes on. She's still a prominent character, however.
- Money, Dear Boy: One of her primary motivations when she was first introduced, and continues to be one of her goals.
- Pointy Ears: She's never been shown as anything but a human, no matter what this trope may imply.
Steve LongA Tao priest who works with Ling Ling. He's considered as a competent one among his peers.
- James Bondage: He was kidnapped and held captive when he was first introduced.
- The Worf Effect: You know it's getting serious when his spells can't do anything about the situation.
- Those Two Guys: With Ling Ling.
Mei LingSteve's younger sister. A hotheaded girl who has a crush on Yakumo.
- Accidental Kiss: With Yakumo.
- Badass Adorable: Like Ling Ling, she's a competent martial artist.
- Distressed Damsel: She was captured when she headed in alone to rescue Steve.
- You No Take Candle: A mild example, and only when she's speaking Japanese.
Ms. Huang/ShunkaiYogekisha's benefactor for a while. Actually a devotee of Kaiyanwang, though she acts mostly independently of Benares.
- Dragon Lady
- Becoming the Mask: She comes to genuinely care for the heroes, and outright betrays Benares and Kaiyanwang after Yakumo says she's family to him.
- The Mole: Not a spoiler. The readers know this from the moment she appears.
BenaresKaiyanwang's Wu, and The Dragon in all sense of the word.
- Bad Ass: Absolutely no one but Yakumo and Amara (both fellow wus) can fight him.
- Blood Knight: Especially clear when he's fighting Yakumo. Also the reason he messes up at the end.
- Genre Savvy: He was the only one among the villains to be concerned about Yakumo right from the moment they met even though the latter's abilities were still clearly inferior to him, and his only concern only grows as the story goes on and Yakumo kept getting better. By contrast, all of his underlings underestimated Yakumo on their first meeting.
- Healing Factor: Interestingly, his regeneration capabilities was not something he relied upon very much, unlike Yakumo. This is because Kaiyanwang's power was slowly diminishing and could not upply him with enough energy to regenerate properly until he was revived.
- Large and in Charge: He was not much larger than a normal human when he was first introduced, but somehow increased in size after Kaiyanwang was fully revived. In the final volumes, Yakumo only reaches somewhere around his knee when standing up.
- Pragmatic Villainy: He has no qualms working together with Yakumo to achieve his goals and was pretty amiable about it.
- The Dragon: To Kaiyanwang. Literally too.
- The Fettered: For much of the series, he was hampered by the fact that Kaiyanwang's power was diminishing, leaving the latter unable to maintain a steady supply of energy to keep Benares' body in good condition. In fact, Benares had to resort to absorbing a lot of spiritual energy from many sources to prevent his body from breaking apart completely.
- It Only Works Once: Any time Yakumo uses a new trick against Benares, he will have a counter ready or prevent Yakumo from using it in the first place in their next fight.
Kaiyanwang/ ShivaThe Big Bad of the series. He was sealed away hundreds of years ago by Parvati.
- Big Bad
- Brainwashed and Crazy: All Kaiyanwang are like this, apparently, and can influence others to be like this too.
- Legacy Character: Kaiyanwang is a title bestowed upon those who have undergone the Human Ritual and obtained the power to lead the Sanjiyan race.
- Karma Houdini: Causes the End of the World as We Know It (at least temporary) and at the end is still alive (though with a new body and (maybe) reduced power).
- Punch Clock Villain: As Shiva, he was not exactly a hero as he aids Kaiyanwang in subjugating the other Sanjiyan, but he did it because of his position as Kaiyanwang's right hand man.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Shiva was nowhere near as evil as the Kaiyanwang he would eventually become. He was the reason Parvati was able to seal him, since Shiva's consciousness was able to surface and put Kaiyanwang in a coma through The Power of Love.
Himeji Ryoko/Pai /Hua ShiA highschool girl who looks like Pai who has been experiencing strange events ever since Yakumo came into her life. She's apparently an amnesiac Pai. She's actually a snake demon who got turned into the diamond-shaped seal on Pai's forehead.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happens when she gets her memories back. And after her Face-Heel Turn near the end of the series.
- Combat Medic: More apparent after she seperates from Pai.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Genki Girl: What she retained from Pai. Even when she no longer inhabits Pai's body.
- Identity Amnesia: She's Pai as a schoolgirl and with a different name. Not really. She's actually a snake demon who was used by Benares to seal away Pai\Parvati's memory who lost her own memory, turning her into a blank slate.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Was originally Benares' underling, and she later rejoins him when blackmailed with Hahn's soul, and returns to the good guys' side later on.
- Love Makes You Crazy: After seperating from Pai and meeting Yakumo again, Benares' underling used her love for Yakumo to convince her to 'keep' him with her forever. Also happens with Hahn later on.
- Love Triangle: She briefly has this with Yakumo and Pai after reuniting with them, but backs away when it's clear Yakumo only has eyes for Pai/Parvati.
- Replacement Goldfish: Posed as Pai complete with her personality, and was briefly Yakumo's girlfriend.
- Shout-Out: She's possibly based on the ancient Chinese legendary character Madam White Snake, a snake demon who took the shape of a woman and fell in love with a human male. Also, the mythical character's most famous deed was flooding an entire valley, and Hua Shi uses water to fight.
- Snake People
HaanA sorcery seller who once made a deal with Yakumo to give him summon beasts in exchange of introducing him to a beautiful girl and held a grudge since the former didn't fulfill that promise. After some events, he eventually ended up with Ryoko.
- Artificial Limbs: One of his arms was replaced by a summoned beast that can turn into a scythe-like weapon after he lost it.
- Badass Normal: A completely normal human being who can go toe-to-toe with demons. He even managed to kill' one of Benares' lieutenants! That's an accomplishment not a lot of people, not even non-human characters, can boast about.
- Cloning Blues: Was cloned after he was basically killed by Benares. His clone retained his love for Ryoko, but she stuck to the original's mangled corpse. Solved when the two joined together into one body.
- Functional Magic: He has a wide array of things he can do with his magic, many of which are pretty useful. Yakumo even laments not having him around after he was killed in action as his abilities and knowledge were very useful.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: He's usually very abrasive and blunt, but has the best intentions in mind. This is particularly evident during his meeting with the Amarans, where he tells them off rudely the very moment he walks in for shutting themselves up in their town and siccing beasts on anyone who gets close instead of trying to talk. Kiell was not amused.
- The Lancer: He's usually right there with Yakumo on the frontline and the others consider him their go-to man when Yakumo was unavailable.
- Love Triangle: He loves Ryoko, who seems more interested in Yakumo. They get closer with time. Later, his clone inherits the love to Ryoko from the original. Sadly for him, she still prefers the original Haan, even though he's just a corpse at this point. It's eventually resolved by the two merging together.
- The Rival: Considers himself this to Yakumo.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yakumo.
Connery/Bem MaduraiAn enigmatic old man who turns out to be Benares' only pupil. He mentored Yakumo for a while and gave him one of his biggest power boosts.
- Badass Grandpa
- Really 700 Years Old: He was alive before Benares was sealed away, which means he's at least 1000 years old.
- Weak, but Skilled: He's really not that weak, but his advanced age puts him at a disadvantage against the more powerful enemies.
- Training from Hell: What he put Yakumo through.
UkaiBenares' lieutenant who can create tentacles on whatever surface her artifact stabs.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Heel-Face Turn: She's kinda...wishy washy about it.
- The Gadfly: She was particularly interested by the Ryoko/Hahn/Reverse Hahn Love Triangle
- The Tease: To Yakumo sometimes.
- Token Mini-Moe: Well, she's actually Really 700 Years Old, but she's the smallest character in the entire series (Hong Niang doesn't count) and acts like a little brat most of the time.
- Tsundere: Would you believe she asked Yakumo to give her a kiss as a reward for snapping him out of his Heroic BSOD? When all she ever did to him prior to this was either attack (to kill) or argue? Dude could start his own harem if he ever felt like it...
RatriGoddess of the people of Amara. Is actually Ushas' clone and a Sanjiyan by extension.
UshasA Sanjiyan banished to the void and considered a goddess in the planet Amara, which was created by her Wu. Luke, I Am Your Father: She's Shiva's mother.
AmaraUshas' Wu. He turned himself into a planet in order to support Ushas' life.
- Plant Person: This was part of the reason he managed to turn himself into a planet. Later, it allows him to survive battling Benares after losing his Wu status. Each time he gets killed, he releases a seed which grows back as him.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: His devotion and loyalty to Ushas is totally non-romantic, unlike Yakumo to Pai/Parvati, and he gets confused when the latter asks him about it.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.