Characters: Homestuck Pre Scratch Trolls
Billions and billions of years ago, a group of twelve Trolls played Sburb/Sgrub. However, their society left them unprepared for the rigors of the game. To make matters worse, a mysterious glitch affected their session, preventing them from succeeding. With no other options left, they initiated a Scratch and reset themselves and their universe. To prevent their entire existance from dissipating, one Troll killed herself and her allies seconds before the Scratch hit in order to survive as ghosts.
In the new reality, their Ancestors - the more familiar Trolls
- became the players, while the pre-Scratch players would become the modern Trolls' Ancestors
. This time, with Troll culture shaped by Doc Scratch, the players were able to win...sort of
This seemed to be the end of their story, until a pair of deceased Troll girls started appearing in dream bubbles...
open/close all folders
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Handmaid (Aradia's ancestor). She was the Witch of Time
. She initiated the Scratch in her session.
WHEN TALK TO HUMAN. USE ALL CAPS. BAD ENGLISH.
- A Date with Rosie Palms
"MEENAH: do what to myself twice with my double W)(AT exactly??"
- She also outright claims that she masturbates to the memory of her rivalry with Meenah, which Meenah (correctly) assumes is "more skanky sass."
- Amicable Exes: Heavily downplayed, but still somewhat present. She's slightly more friendly with Rufioh than the other trolls, and still considers him a friend despite his cheating on her, though she's still very crude and violent around him (and rendered him quadriplegic at one point).
- Given that he seems to understand what she's saying, it's quite possible that a lot of her relative friendliness towards him is simply because she can't mess with him as well as she can the others.
- Aliens Speaking English: Japanese, rather. But she at least understands English, too. The other trolls sort of understand her too, considering Japanese to just be a "weird accent."
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles: This seems to have inspired her character.
- Artistic License – Biology: She lampshades Meenah saying that clams make pearls.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: A better example than most as at least her dialogue is in Japanese, but it's pretty clear that Hussie just ran what she says through google translator as there are a lot of mistakes in it that wouldn't make sense from a natural speaker, something Hussie outright admits to Damara's face, even mocking that she's not "authentic troll Japanese" but "fake troll Japanese."
- Ax-Crazy: She is incredibly crazy.
- Badass: During the Scratch, the game throws every kind of enemy and threat at the player who initiated the Scratch. Her status as a God Tier is dubious, and she is implied to have done it by herself.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Pre-Scratch, Damara wanted desperately to serve Lord English. Post-Scratch, The Handmaid got to do just that and did not like it at all.
- Bilingual Bonus: Again, she speaks in Japanese. The game even gives a link to a transcript of her conversations, for easier translation. What she says is vulgar in the extreme.
- Break the Cutie: Rufioh cheating on her with Horuss, as well as her friends being abusive jerks, all drove her to being violent and borderline psychopathic.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Her appearance is identical to that of the younger Handmaid who appeared in Act 5.
- She likewise appeared briefly in Meenah's narration before being officially introduced.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Rufioh when he started hanging out with Horuss a lot.
- The Corrupter: She sabotaged her session so that it was doomed to fail, presumably so that she could initiate the Scratch and kill all of her friends.
- Cosplay: One version of her that turns up during the Ministrife is cosplaying as Sailor Moon.
- Depraved Bisexual: The trolls are inherently bisexual, but Damara is the only one among them whose advances on characters of both sexes are consistently shown as explicit and vulgar to the point of creepiness, making her the only one to fit this trope—though it is a bit ambiguous as to how many of her propositions are genuine and how many are her messing with people.
- Development Gag: Two of her sprites use poses recycled from unused Aradia and Porrim sprites.
- Dragon Lady: Or at least the Fantasy Counterpart Culture equivalent.
- Dramatic Irony: In the flash she appears in, it's possible to go through the meteor as her as an Easter Egg. If you talk to Dave or Rose, they remark about are harmless and sweet she seems. Now look at most of her other tropes.
- Dual Wielding: Like all Needle kind users.
- Establishing Character Moment: The first thing she does in Openbound is flip off Meenah.
- Face-Heel Turn: It's implied that after she broke up with Rufioh she used her Time Travel powers to sabotage her session and that she also supports Lord English; in fact, one troll notes that she only became useful again when they decided to perform a scratch, implying that her intention was to force them to go down that route all along.
- Fan Disservice: Her translated text, especially with Horuss, who's oblivious to her innuendo. Thankfully, she's very sweet and friendly with humans, even if it is only an act.
- Flipping the Bird: When someone tells her off.
- The Gadfly: She has spent her afterlife creeping her friends out and being passive aggressively sexual.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: According to Meenah, her personality was much different — especially, much less aggressively crude — before things with Rufioh went south and Meenah had to rub it in.
- Gone Horribly Right: When Rufioh starts showing an interest in Horuss, Meenah starts rubbing it in. So Damara cripples Rufioh, and then proceeds to kill Horuss - an innocent bystander - and Meenah in her ensuing rage.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Her Japanese is confirmed to be English translated to Japanese by Google Translate. The most obvious result of this is her constant use of the word "anata".
- Heel Realization: Subverted. When Meenah calls her a backstabber, a liability, and a bitch, she agrees and seems indifferent to the entire conversation.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Her use of intentionally bad Japanese combined with sexual slurring results in this, like so.
Damara: [I want to feel my nipples between your teeth.]
Meenah: did you just tell me to bite something or...
Meenah: screw it i give up
- Identical Grandson: Her talksprite looks extremely similar to Aradia's.
- In fact, she is identical to Aradia, right down to her lips and dimples. The only difference is the hair, and very slightly different eyelashes.
- Improbable Weapon User: Like Rose and her post-Scratch self, she wields needles.
- In Universe Nickname: She's frequently referred to as "Damz."
- I Warned You: She warned Rufioh that a relationship with Horuss would consist of talking about big sweaty musclebeasts and would end badly. He clearly wishes that he had listened to her.
- Jerkass: She's petty, vengeful, and likes to screw with people at random, even locking up and nearly suffocating Rufioh's lusus in a box. Over 80% of her dialog to people other than Rufioh is incredibly vulgar sexual propositions too.
- Lots of Planets Have a North: From eastern Beforus, which seems to be the Beforan/Alternian equivalent of Asia. Horuss even refers to it as Alterniasia.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: To varying degrees of "lovable".
- Love Makes You Crazy and Love Makes You Evil: Before Rufioh cheated on her, she was already at breaking point. Afterwards, she isolates herself from the rest of the trolls. Though she's nice to humans.
- Meaningful Name: Damara is a breed of sheep. It is possibly a reference to how she blindly follows Lord English, and it also sounds like "damned", referencing Aradia's doom/apocalypse motif.
- Mind over Matter: Like all lowbloods.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Played for Laughs...well, arguably.
Damara: "Love is dead to me. So long ago, someone stabbed me through the heart."
- No Indoor Voice: She speaks in all caps in English. Seeing as how Terezi and Karkat do the same and are constantly shouting, it can be presumed that Damara is too.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: When speaking with the human kids, she adopts a different persona, using friendly and extremely broken English. It does seem to fool them (Dave declares her "harmless," and Rose says she seems "sweet"), when by now the player/reader will be well aware of her bitter, cruel demeanour and worship of Lord English.
- Omnicidal Maniac: She was very enthusiastic about starting the Scratch because doing so would mean erasing all of the pre-scratch trolls from existence. She wants to join Lord English for the same reason.
- Passive Aggressive Combat: She uses her language barrier (an incredibly thick eastern accent) to be sexually explicit and emotionally abusive towards the other trolls without them knowing.
- Phrase Catcher: "Hey Damz! If you go anywhere near him, I will fucking kill you!" (From Terezi and Latula in regards to Karkat and Mituna, respectively.)
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: She did not handle her breakup with Rufioh well.
- Sex as a Rite-of-Passage: In a bizarre way.
"You cannot be me. If you cannot understand me. Further. You cannot be me. If you cannot fuck me."
- Shrinking Violet: Apparently used to be like this before Meenah got to her by revealing Rufioh's infidelity and egging it on.
- Smoking Is Cool: She smokes to diss the other person.
- The Stoner: Unlike Gamzee, who gets stoned on sopor slime, Damara appears to actually be smoking weed.
- She also asks Meenah if she'd like to get stoned with her and have sex. Meenah doesn't get it.
- Token Evil Teammate: Second (or third if you count Meenah) among the ancestors, truly surpassed only by Kurloz.
- Troll: It's implied that her creepy comments are insincere, and she's simply taking advantage of the fact that most of her teammates don't understand her to mess with them.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Meenah's bullying and Rufioh's infidelity are the biggest reasons she became what she is now; according to Aranea, she was once "as meek as can be."
- Woman Scorned: The apparent reason for her meltdown, and implied to be her Start of Darkness.
- Yandere: Finding out that Rufioh had fallen for Horuss (plus a good deal of intentional needling from Meenah, and Aranea speculates some sort of outside corrupting force was involved as well) turned Damara borderline sociopathic.
- You No Take Candle: When switching to proper English, her speech is rather broken.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Summoner (Tavros's ancestor). He is the Rogue of Breath
of his session.
Replaces "i" with 1... uses ell1pses frequently... followed by a space. Calls all girls "doll."
Censors self when using profanity (e.g: "crazy sh*t.")
- Amicable Exes: Despite her contempt for him, Damara still seems to consider him a friend. Not that it stops her from trying to kill his lusus and making his afterlife misery.
- Anchored Ship: With Damara. And he wants to break it off with Horuss.
- Bishounen: According to Meenah.
- Body Horror / Unwilling Roboticisation: Subverted. When Horuss rebuilt him as a robot to counter his paralysis he rebuilt Rufioh as a horse to better fit his ideal. Rufioh seems to have missed the intent behind this, focusing more on how difficult it was to be quadrupedal and how much he missed his wings.
- Averted later. One of his alternates shows up as a horse and asks to die in Rufioh's same calm demeanor.
- Can Not Spit It Out: He just can't tell Horuss that they should see other trolls.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Rufio from Film/Hook and his actor Dante Basco, and very intentionally.
- Catch Phrase: "Bangarang!" This was the rallying cry of the Lost Boys (and the original Rufio) in Hook.
- Chick And Dude Magnet: Was very popular with the other trolls.
- Cosplay: One version of him that turns up during the Ministrife is cosplaying as Tuxedo Mask.
- Death Seeker: The ghost of his 'musclebeast' body really wants to be killed by Lord English.
- Dye Hard: The red in his hair isn't natural.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Even Hussie himself.
- Extreme Doormat: Towards Horuss, who he can't break up with because Horuss is oblivious to his attempts and also head over heels in love with him.
- Flanderization: Of Tavros being a Chick Magnet and having self-confidence issues.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Does this to an extent; something of a contrast to Tavros.
- Jossed: When he makes his on-panel appearance he promptly does this to one of the longstanding theories both in and out of universe about himself and The Summoner, mainly that his wings were a sign of going God-Tier. Turns out he's just a mutant.
- Meaningful Name: It's "Rufio", but with an "h" at the end making it resemble a certain anime about card games.
- Nice Guy: He's pretty much the nicest troll out of his group, besides the whole cheating on Damara thing.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: It is strongly implied that what completely drove Damara off the rails and led to her sabotage their session was him cheating on her coupled with Meenah's insults. In other words, Rufioh's infidelity has universe wide consequences.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Aside from the '1's,note his speaking style is a direct homage to Dante Basco's writing style on his Tumblr. Dante portrayed the original Rufio and became the fandom's darling when he started a readthrough of Homestuck.
- Occidental Otaku: Or the Alternian form of occidental, anyway.
- Otaku: The first genuine canonical example, as a member of the Lost Weeaboos.
- Red Herring: The wings; Rufioh never went God Tier.
- Shout-Out: On top of all the Rufio references, his use of "doll" is one to Rufio's actor, Dante Basco, who uses this quirk himself on his Tumblr page (which got fan attention when someone introduced him to Homestuck).
- Spiky Hair: Resembling flames.
- Symbol Swearing: He tends to asterisk out letters in vulgar words or slurs that he uses.
- Whole Costume Reference: RUFIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
- Whole Plot Reference: His backstory references Hook heavily as well.
- Winged Humanoid: It's apparently a mutation.
- We Can Rebuild Him: Damara completely paralyzed him; Horuss gave him a new robot body, described as his head on a robot. Then Horuss kissed him and his Dream Self took over.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on Damara with Horuss, and dear god, did it have consequences.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Ψiioniic (Sollux's ancestor). He was the Heir of Doom
of his session.
R3PL4C35 M057 0F H15 L3773R5 W17H NUM83R5
T3ND5 TW0 M4K3 5P331N6 3RR0R5
50M371M35 U535 R34K710N 61F5 0R 5CR188L35 0F H1M53LF
- Ambiguous Disorder: His talksprite twitches and seizes wildly, he flips between a Jerkass and an Extreme Doormat personality constantly, his quirk is so bizarre it dips into incoherence where it's sometimes hard to be sure whether he's actually speaking or just making noises, he has difficulty censoring himself, and he can't remember how to take his shirt off.note
- And I Must Scream: Rumor has it that he's much more coherent around Kurloz, which suggests that Mituna's got a bit more going on in that helmet of his than most people suspect, but is unable to express it due to his circumstances.
- Angrish: After tripping over his own feet in one of the Openbound segments, he follows up with "#LKGH;V451D4031NJDN01GP3".
- Apologises a Lot
- Artifact Surname: All the other trolls' surnames are meaningful in their own right, but the name "Captor" only made sense in conjunction with "Sollux" (being a play on Castor and Pollux). In Mituna's case, the meaning of "Captor" is lost.
- Blinding Bangs: One iteration of Mituna shows up without his helmet in the Thieves flash, revealing that his mop of hair obscures his eyes anyway.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mituna's psychic injuries have left him teetering off the edge of sanity, and at times he's aware of it.
- Cool Helmet: Subverted. As innocently yet callously Lampshaded by Kankri, it's there because his mental disability would lead him to injure himself without it.
- Cute Clumsy Guy: "D344NM 17 I F3L3L D0WN 4G4IN"
- Disabled Love Interest: To Latula.
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: His initial conversation with Meenah shows that he's incredibly hostile towards seadwellers. In one of his personalities, at least.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: He is the Heir of Doom. In other words, he became his own doom, the specifics of which are unknown.
- Duality Motif: Like Sollux. Taken to extremes in that he's got two personalities in the extremes of insane and friendly.
- Establishing Character Moment: Performing a sick grind on a railing like Latula, only to land flat on his face.
- Extreme Doormat: His second personality.
- Fantastic Racism: Used anti-seadweller slurs, which Meenah visibly took offense at.
- Generation Xerox: Based on the Ψiioniic's appearance, he presumably looks virtually identical to Sollux.
- Hates Being Touched: In general, albeit context-specific with Cronus' shoulder patting.
- Heroic RROD: According to Aranea, he overexerted his psionics to save the group from... something, which burned them out permanently and probably caused his brain damage. Suspiciously, Kurloz was the only witness.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Or so we've heard. It's how he got that way.
- Hollywood Tourette's: He seems to be suffering from it.
- Interface Screw: His quirk not only involves lots of substitution of letters for numbers, but also includes a lisp and intentional typos, in addition to occasional random gibbering. It is consequently really hard to read his text.
- In Universe Nickname:
- Sort of. Hussie refers to him as Mega Man Sollux in an Easter Egg of the third Meenahbound segment.
- Meenah calls him "tunaboy".
- Jerkass: His first personality is very aggressive.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: According to Latula.
- Meaningful Name: Mituna comes from "Maithuna", the Hindu Zodiac's counterpart for Gemini.
- Mood-Swinger: His aggressive side is a foulmouthed, barely-comprehensible ass, while his passive side is curt and contrite. He frequently gets caught in a loop of screaming slurs at his friends only to hang his head and meekly apologize when called on it.
- Morality Pet:
- Official Couple: Despite his issues, he and Latula are in a stable and happy matespritship and have been for a very long time.
- Reluctant Psycho: He's got enough of his mind still intact to realize that he's lost most of it.
- Seer: Not part of his title, but the Doom aspect apparently translates as "Fate", and Mituna was constantly warning people of dire events. Nobody paid attention to him however.
- Speech Impediment: He also has a lisp like Sollux. Meenah describes his quirk as "several conflicting speech impediments."
- Stop Being Stereotypical: Kankri tells him to stop acting like a stereotypically mentally disabled person, despite the fact that Mituna genuinely needs his helmet and has poor coordination.
- Take That: He's a parody of Image Board users. (Note how his speech windows are patterned after 4chan-style imageboards instead of Tumblr.)
- The Unintelligible: He has the hardest-to-read typing quirk yet, due to him replacing most letters with numbers and frequently misspelling words to an astonishing degree; in an Easter Egg, Hussie says his quirk is worse than Damara's broken Japanese in terms of legibility.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Sufferer (Karkat's ancestor). He was the Seer of Blood
of his session.
Uses with pr9per punctuati9n and grammar.
Replaces b with 6 and o with 9.
Speaks in his 6l99d c9l9r. 9ften uses large w9rds and speaks 9f s9cietal w9es. Trigger warning are applied frequently.
- Adorkable: If only in front of Porrim and Latula.
- Berserk Button: It's quite jarring to see his Holier Than Thou demeanor fall away in the blink of an eye once he perceives that he's being mothered by Porrim. Who knew ghosts could have flames in their normally-blank eyeballs?
- Call Back: Porrim made his sweater to hide his "stupid hiked-up pants"; a reference to the Sufferer's "Righteous Leggings" (which, in turn, is a reference to an Off Model Karkat).
- Celibate Hero: Swore a vow of celibacy but...
- Chaste Hero: ...Doesn't realize his observations of Latula come off as romantic and beyond.
- Catch Phrase: A lot of fanart depicts him as saying "6lah, 6lah, 6lah, 6lah, 6lah, 6lah".
- Double Standard: Towards Cronus. Kankri does nothing to stop Cronus's ableist beatdown against Mituna, but leaps to the rescue when Meenah criticizes Cronus being otherkin. Considering his many backhanded remarks about Mituna's helmet, it's possible Kankri is just biased against Mituna.
- Embarrassing Nickname: He does not like being called "Kanny," to the point that he actually prefers being called Insufferable instead.
- Everyone Can See It: With Latula.
- Fireball Eyeballs: When he perceives that he's being mothered by Porrim.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: When out of a group of eleven, only three are willing to give you the time of day and one of them spends most of said time calling you on your bullshit, you know you've hit rock bottom.
- Generation Xerox: Superficially with Karkat - he's physically identical to his successor, absurdly talkative, wanted to be the (spiritual) leader of his session, and has ambiguous feelings towards Pyrope but considers himself an expert on relationships (and other "sociologically fascinating" matters). But their personalities are effectively total opposites besides that, as the rest of this list shows.
- Hates Being Touched: By Porrim, at least.
- The Heart: Considers himself to be this for the Beforan Trolls. No one else does.
- Holier Than Thou: A secular version!
- Hypocrite: For all his talk about privilege, he's pretty judgemental.
- Hypocritical Humor: On a more trivial note, he claims that he doesn't like to use the term "pr96lematic" lightly. This is in the middle of a lecture during which he uses "pr96lematic" or some form of "pr96lematize" pretty much every few sentences.
- Identical Grandson
- Insufferable Genius: Though he doesn't believe he's a genius - just that nobody knows better than him. Functionally they're indistinguishable.
- Irony: For all of his preaching, he's the only one who really seems to give a damn about triggers - everyone else largely ignores them.
- Jerkass: He's a thoughtless, selfish, condescending snob under his deluge of politically correct rhetoric, earning him the nickname "The Insufferable." Contrast with Karkat, whose abrasive personality is a transparent attempt to cover up his softer side. And unlike others in his session, like Damara, Kurloz, or even Cronus who all Took a Level in Jerkass, Kankri has always been a Jerkass.
- Kick the Dog: His treatment of Mituna is pretty harsh. He also seems to dislike Meulin, saying his alternate's romance with her was questionable and jumping at a chance to lecture her about telling an alternate horse!Rufioh to not kill himself as being "suicide-shaming". (Which doesn't say much for his opinion of Rufioh either, come to think of it.)
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: While he's clearly intelligent, and admirably passionate about social issues, it's clear that he knows buzzwords, the contents of the thesaurus, and the existence of said passion a heckuva lot better than he does actual coherent social commentary (among other things).
- The Load: Due to never realizing his abilities, his overly long sermons, and being a horrible leader, he seems to have been basically useless to his session.
- Meaningful Name: Kankri is Esperanto for crayfish (the plural form), which derives from cancer in French. "Cancri" is also the suffix applied to all stars in the Cancer constellation. The use of Esperanto for his name is also a Genius Bonus. Esperanto was originally created as an attempt to create a universal language, though ultimately fell out of favor when everyone realized that making a universal language Eurocentric was kind of a bad idea. This fits in nicely with a lot of Kankri's thought processes.
- Motor Mouth: While Karkat breaks into swear-ridden rants at the drop of a hat, Kankri breaks into sermons. Endless, self-important and incomprehensible sermons. He'll only swear with great reluctance, though. To put things in perspective, he manages to make Karkat fall completely open-mouthed silent, unable to get a word in edgewise against his massive walls of text. One particular sermon is a six-paragraph block in illegibly small writing filling up the speech bubble. It then turns into three columns of the same.
- Nice Guy: Not so much, despite his claims. He's always trying to avoid offense and apologizes profusely when confronted with being a jerk. However, he can be quite condescending about his "sensitivity," dismisses Porrim's feminist issues as largely imaginary, is incredibly cruel towards Mituna, and monopolizes Karkat's attention without any actual understanding of how he's being received. When he does make apologies, they often come off as backhanded and self-aggrandizing. Karkat sees right through him and later makes it clear that just because he's not shouting all the time doesn't mean he's nice and reasonable.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Just as Cronus is on the verge of admitting his "humankin"-greaser persona is just another act to get attention and he should try to change, Kankri bursts in and tells him that he should trust his feelings, allowing Cronus to avoid bettering himself in any way, shape, or form.
- A similar situation happens to Horuss. When Meenah is about to explain why his belief that he's actually a musclebeast is daft and insane, Kankri walks in to 'defend' him, and outright agrees with Horuss.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: To the extent that his dialogue becomes a labyrinth of euphemisms, buzzwords, lengthy tangents explaining potentially offensive slurs and why they shouldn't be used, nonsensical replacement words for said slurs that begin piling up on each other, acronyms and just plain old talk, talk, talk. To the point where Skaianet has dubbed shipping him with Latula SOCIAL_JUSTICE!
- Rebel Without a Cause: Porrim's belief is that he has to rebel against everything, even if it means nothing to do so.
- Red Herring: There were some hints that he and Meulin had the same relationship as their A2-counterparts. This was promptly shot down when they appeared.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Even more than Kanaya, and most of the the light heroes, who have this as their hat.
- Single-Issue Wonk: See Political Correctness Gone Mad.
- Skewed Priorities: Still obsessed with his semi-nonsensical faux-intellectual babble about Alternian and Beforan society, despite both planets being destroyed. When called on this, he simply accuses the one doing the calling of being corporealist.
- Slut Shaming: Despite his Political Correctness Gone Mad, he engages in this with Porrim, who is not amused.
- Soap Box Sadie: Oh yes.
- Stalking Is Love: Inverted. Kankri thinks of his observations of Latula as platonic friendship and getting to know her better. Latula, however, finds them embarrassingly obsessive.
- Straw Misogynist: For someone so single-mindedly obsessed with social justice, he sure doesn't seem to have any qualms with dismissing feminism and slut-shaming the woman arguing for it - who, mind, is one of his teammates.
- Take That: Against bad social justice bloggers - specifically the holier-than-thou hypocrites.
- Trigger: Flagrantly abuses the term, most likely as a Take That to people who use it like him (that is, to mark anything as mildly uncomfortable rather than some things as potentially dangerous to physical and mental health).
- The Unreveal: Unlike Pyrope, his name is initially left mysterious... because Meenah has forgotten it. Additionally, even with his debut the powers behind the Blood aspect are left nearly as vague as ever.
- Visual Pun: Kankri, as a parody of a Social Justice Warrior, calls out what he thinks of as corruption. He blows a whistle every time he does this. In essence, a whistleblower.
- Wall of Text: His first chat log is just him rambling at Karkat. Later it becomes so dense it's impossible to read.
- Weak-Willed: Implied. When we find out that Vriska is mind-controlling a number of the doomed timeline ghosts, he appears more times than any other character.
- Windmill Crusader: He constantly talks about "triggers" and flings around buzzwords, despite nobody paying a second's attention to his SJW preachings.
- You're Not My Mother: As lampshaded by Porrim, thanks to their pseudo-mother/son relationship, when a cause comes around he could have fought against alongside her — gender inequality — he regularly belittles her concerns and uses his words as a shield to defend himself from any real societal repercussions largely just because it's her saying it. Driven home by the fact that his post-scratch alternate-universe version, the Sufferer (who was born into a Crapsack World and therefore actually had a cause) became a genuine respected hero who sacrificed his life for social change. Of course, not being a teenager probably helped, too.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Disciple (Nepeta's ancestor). She was the Mage of Heart
of her session.
(´・ω・) < USES SHIFT-JIS EMOTES AND ONE LESSER THAN SIGN AT THE START OF ANY LINE AND TYPES IN ALL CAPS DUE TO HER DEAFNESS.
~(￣∇￣~) < SHE REPLACES DOUBLE OR MORE E'S WITH 3'S.
(=^･^=) < USES CAT-PUNS LIBERALLY SUCH AS 'MOG' FOR 'OMG'.
(=^･ω･^=) < SHE GOES INTO BOOOOOOOUUUUUUUTTTTSS OF GUSSSSHHINGG. 333333333333333333333333333!
( -ω-) < ALSO TENDS TO 'MIME' MEMES WITH SIGN LANGUAGE.
- Affectionate Parody: Of Tumblr fangirls, complete with shipping obsession, loud declarations of feels, and inexplicably mimed reaction gifs.
- Amicable Exes: With Kurloz.
- Cat Girl
- Chekhov's Gunman: Meulin is responsible for giving Kurloz Gamzee's codpiece, doing so willingly. However, as soon as she spots the codpiece and gives it to Kurloz she immediately wishes to forget the codpiece's existence, to which Kurloz happily obliges by asking permission to engage in telepathy with her. This telepathy helps her forget the codpiece's existence, although this is undoubtedly in part the result of chucklevoodoos at work.
- Disabled Love Interest: For Kurloz.
- Fangirl/Yaoi Fangirl: She apparently likes the potential of gay human shipping especially.
- Flanderization: Like Cronus, an exaggerated version of how the fandom sees Nepeta. In her case this means an inablity to think about anything except shipping and cat puns.
- Genius Ditz: She's incredibly ditzy but also apparently a very good shipper.
- Genki Girl: If the way she types is any indication. Her signing is also pretty energetic.
- High On Catnip: She implies that she's abused catnip before when she attributes her memory loss from Kurloz's telepathy to it.
- Informed Flaw: She is apparently deaf, despite holding a conversation with Meenah perfectly well. Aside from shouting, that is. (She reads lips.)
- Meaningful Name: Meulin sounds like "mewling". It also sounds like "Merlin", given that she's a Mage.
- More Than Mind Control: She still apparently has some affection for Kurloz, to the point where she willingly consents to chucklevoodoo-based telepathy in order to forget about Gamzee's codpiece.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Her Monochromatic Eyes turn from plain white to flashing different shades of purple when under chucklevoodoos.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Probable, given her past red relationship with Kurloz and her later fascination with his religion.
- No Indoor Voice: Justified - she's at least partially deaf and can't modulate her volume too well.
- Red Herring: There were some hints that she and Kankri had the same relationship as their A2-counterparts. This was promptly shot down when they appeared.
- Single-Issue Wonk: shipping, even more than Nepeta.
- Shipper on Deck: Just like Nepeta.
- The Stoner: Implied, with catnip.
- Weak-Willed: Zig-zagged. With Kurloz, her actions with him and telepathy are partially of her volition. While it's not entirely her own will, she does consent to chucklevoodery in order to forget about Gamzee's codpiece. Meanwhile, Vriska's mind control does not have any ambiguities involving whether or not Meulin has any free will at all.
- Wild Hair: Like Nepeta's except longer
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Dolorosa (Kanaya's ancestor). She was the Maid of Space
of her session.
Uses perfect punctuatio+n and capitalizatio+n.
All her o+s and 0+s are fo+llo+wed by a cro+ss, creating a female sign.
+, she also+ substitutes this symbo+l fo+r the wo+rd "plus".
The pre-Scratch incarnation of Neophyte Redglare (Terezi's ancestor). She was the Knight of Mind
of her session.
us3s w1th th3 ultr4r4d num3r4lz of th3 bl1nd proph3tz. 4w y34h!!
pron3 to 4dd1ng 1n coolk1d sl4ngz, plur4l1z1ng wordz w1th "z" 1nst34d of "s",
4nd g3tt1ng 4ll k1ndz of h3ll4pump3d bout wh4t sh3 h4s to s4y!!!!!!!!
- Call Back:
- Contrast the difference between Dave and Dirk's Cool Shades with Terezi and Latula's shades. Both post-Scratch individuals have pointy shades, while the others have smoother ones.
- She's a female, ebullient version of a coolkid, which Terezi is oddly obsessed with.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Usually plays this role for Mituna, and Porrim appears to play this role for her.
- Disability Superpower: Completely parodied with her being unable to smell, complete with ridiculous fake stories about how she learned to approximate smell through other senses.
- Dissonant Serenity: An easy-to-miss scene in the third Act 6 Intermission 3 walkaround has her threaten Damara to stay away from Mituna on pain of death. Without changing her usual expression.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Her high-fives are implied to be hard.
- The Ditz: Took her a long time to realize how Meenah's plan worked with God Tiers.
- Gamer Chick: Even her walkaround theme is a remix of the goofy and deliberately obnoxious GameGrl track, which could be the trope's anthem. Her matesprit Mituna follows suit, as his theme is a remix of the GameBro track.
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy: Initially dislikes Meenah because she believes she's competition for the role as badass girl in their group, but then later decides that actually Meenah is the Bad Girl to Latula's Rad Girl. When she talks to Porrim a little after telling Meenah this and Porrim teases her, Latula calls for Meenah to come and dispense some cynicism.
- Hidden Depths: Finds it completely believable that she and Aranea would end up killing each other without offering why that would be, and is self-aware enough to be gleeful when Meenah's cynicism offsets her self-described "neuroses" and plays into the role Latula designated for her. Notably, Karkat thinks her persona is an act to get attention and cover some part of herself that she dislikes, and Porrim believes she employs Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Identical Grandson: Like Aranea, her hairstyle seems to be a mix of Terezi and Vriska's. If Aranea's statement that she is "in a way" Terezi's ancestor is true, she may in deed be related to the Serkets.
- Interface Screw: Her sprite is a bit larger than others so her words are sometimes cut off by it.
- Large Ham: Deconstructed, both Porrim and Karkat see her personality as an obvious act.
- Meaningful Name: Latula comes from "Tula," the Hindu counterpart of Libra.
- The Nicknamer: Not quite as much as Meenah, but hers are...memorable. She designates Meenah "Paycheck" and "Paystubs" and Porrim "Merrygamz"...which Porrim loathes, but prefers to "Pornstar".
- Obfuscating Stupidity: According to Porrim her ditzy behavior is all an act, and Karkat believes she's attempting to hide her insecurities. Due to her title seemingly meaning something along the lines of "one who weaponizes or conceals thoughts, decisions and emotions", this may actually be a part of her Hero of Mind prowess manifesting on a passive scale.
- Official Couple: With Mituna.
- Single-Issue Wonk: See Totally Radical and You Go Girl.
- Spiky Hair
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: With Mituna, but this may just be an artifact of their chat sprites.
- Totally Radical: Loves this. Especially the word "r4d"; the nickname "Radglare" appears in Meenah's internal hashtags.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Her reaction to Damara approaching Mituna is to cheerily threaten Damara with death if she so much as touches him. Then again, it is Damara.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Believes the letter Z is extremely rad.
- You Go Girl: Both a parody and a regular example of one.
The first shown Beforan troll, met by Jake briefly after blacking out. She is the pre-Scratch iteration of Marquise Spinneret Mindfang (Vriska's ancestor). She was the Sylph of Light
of her session.
Uses with proper punctuation and grammar.
Su8stitutes her b's with the num8er 8 as Vriska does, 8ut not with sylla8les unless she gets worked up.
Doesn't have an over-dramatic style of speech, instead going for an overly-long winded style of speech.
Uses 8-eyed emoticons. ::::)
- Aborted Arc: Once John gets a sense of direction of how to properly Retcon the session from Terezi, the first thing he does is to make sure that he never loses the Ring Of Life, preventing her resurrection and thereby preventing the dooming of the timeline that she was responsible for.
- Affably Evil/Faux Affably Evil: An odd blend of both. On one hand she remains consistently polite and apologetic when she becomes an antagonist; on the other hand her attitude during conversations with Roxy and Dirk make her sound insincere.
- A God Am I: What she claims to be, having millions of years to hone her abilities, she plans to essentially hijack the multiverse and make it fit her whims.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: A consequence of being The Empath is that you know when people are having negative thoughts about you.
- And I Must Scream: Aranea did not enjoy having her soul partially ripped out.
- Anti-Villain: She legitimately wants to keep things from getting worse, but her method of achieving this is basically to wreck everyone else's plans and either incapacitate or outright kill anyone who gets in her way.
- Apologetic Attacker: Sure, she has to sabotage the kids' session if her plot to get rid of Lord English is going to work, but that doesn't mean she has to be rude about it. This is completely dropped by [S] GAME OVER, in which she mercilessly starts killing people without showing any sign of remorse.
- Arc Villain: Of the latter half of Act 6.
- Asshole Victim: When you are murdered at the hands of the Condesce and she is the sympathetic one (showing fury and sorrow at the deaths of Jade and Jane, even when she is Not So Different in the situation), you've got problems.
- As You Know: Parodied; she's more than willing to provide exposition on the various Trolls of Beforus. Of course, Meenah already knows all of the information that Aranea is compulsively explaining, and the only reason Meenah puts up with Aranea's long speeches is because she gets paid for it.
- Bait the Dog: Practically every nice thing that she does makes her master plan (and the actions she takes to implement her plan) all the more shocking.
- Back from the Dead: Using John's Ring Of Life.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: She wanted to be strong, independent, and not care as much about what other people thought of her. The Scratch gave her that wish, at least vicariously, in the form of the life of Mindfang... but she readily admits that the price of the other effects of the Scratch make it Not Worth It.
- Not to mention, while Mindfang got to have an amazing life, Aranea didn't. This did not make her happy.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's more ruthless than she lets on.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Many of her polite actions were fronts in order to advance her plan. She even takes advantage of this to manipulate Jake.
- Break the Haughty: Starting with Brain Ghost Dirk's Agony Beam on her, she loses her composure and is much less on top of things than she was before. Then she got beaten up by a Tiaratop controlled Jane who was sleeping through the whole thing. Then, after performing several Colony Drops on LOFAF and others, during which she looks utterly insane, she is found by Her Imperious Condescension, who proceeds to grab her by the neck, knock the ring of life out of her finger, and snap her neck. Her final confused look as her ghost falls into the flames is proof of how broken she is after seeing her plan fall apart around her.
- Call Back: Her hair is a mix of Vriska, John, and Terezi's.
- The Sufferer's necklace is a reference to a line in Mindfang's journal, where she found the Sufferer's tale "compelling".
- The Chessmaster: She claims to have methodically thought out how to enact her entire plan, and her actions taken show that her effort certainly isn't half-assed.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: She wears a small Cancer symbol around her neck, and it's even visible on her sprite. Notably Mindfang was not a follower of the Sufferer's.
- Cute Little Fangs: Per her first appearance.
- Deadpan Snarker: At times, particularly when describing some of the less desirable aspects about her friends.
- Didn't See That Coming: Once Brain Ghost Dirk appears, she attempts to try and compensate for the sudden change in the plan by taunting Dirk into doing what she wants him to do - though his own course of action ends up seriously messing hers up.
- Following her release from Dirk's control, she tries to put Jane to sleep... But Jane is still able to fight her unconsciously.
- Later on, Her Imperious Condescension arrives. She utters 'oh shit' and realizes her plan is fucked. Then, throughout [S] Game Over and the beginning of A 6 A 6 I 3, she desperately tries, yet fails to keep her plan in action. She instead gets Neck Snapped by the Condesce herself.
- Dies Wide Open: You can actually see her eyes change from yellow troll eyes to standard white ghost eyes as she falls into The Forge.
- Dissonant Serenity: Most of the actions that she takes when she enters the Session are done with a wide grin on her face. It would typically come across as a Slasher Smile under any other character, but she just looks so collected through it all.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Even her closest friends Meenah and Vriska, who love her, don't respect her at all. Aranea's recent actions are at least partly a result of this kind of treatment.
- The Empath: The basic form of her psychic abilities.
- Evil Costume Switch: She switches over to an evil Pimped-Out Dress before entering the Alpha Session.
- Evil Counterpart: Double inverted. At first, Aranea is very much set up to be Vriska's Good Counterpart, being sweet, mild-mannered, and wholly helpful to the protagonists. Then she outs it all as one big act in the name of her grand scheme, and it turns out she may very well be worse than Vriska, who has shown herself to at least have the capacity for guilt and remorse.
- Evil Gloating: So much of it once she shows up in the session. It irritates Roxy and Dirk.
- Exposition Fairy: She even sets up a Peanuts-style exposition booth where she'll pay you to listen to her give exposition. Bonus points for having actual fairy wings.
- By the second walkaround, it's suggested that giving exposition is a serious addiction for her, to the point where she's neglected searching for Calliope's ghost in favor of boring her friends by explaining stuff they already knew. This takes a slightly less pleasant turn when Meenah implies that the only reason Aranea cares so much about explaining things was because she wanted to be considered the important one for being "the source of all that critical M-EANING".
- It's made especially notable by the fact that she's one of the only major characters one has never been able to "play" as, which initially presents her as little more than a source of exposition (though it later turns out that there's quite a bit more to her than that).
- Expy: She has a number of similarities to Rose, though part of that is possibly because they are both Heroes of Light.
- Fan Nickname: The Skaia imageboard had her tagged as 'Nerd Mindfang', after speculation that she was in fact pre-Scratch Mindfang (which was later proved correct).
- "Kindfang" has shown up in Something Awful's MSPA thread.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Her explicit reason for wanting to take action with her audacious plan (besides getting rid of English once and for all) is because she was tired of only being a background character while everyone else got to live such interesting lives. On the other hand, Vriska (who has always been a nightmare) has doubts about both Aranea's plan and her change of character:
VRISKA: You can't just 8e a 8ookish dwee8 all your life, then suddenly decide to flip the 8adass switch
and expect people to take you seriously.
- Glory Hound: According to Meenah, she was always this:
MEENAH: what shes doin now isnt much different from how she always did stuff
MEENAH: the stuff she does is never about the things shes actually doing
MEENAH: its about what those things M-EAN and makin sure everyone KNOWS what they mean
MEENAH: and above all makin sure everyone understands how important she is cause shes obviously the source of all that critical M-EANING without which all action would be pointless right?
- Got Me Doing It: It takes all of five minutes of being with Meenah again for Aranea to start making fish puns again herself.
- He Who Fights Monsters: She wrecked havoc when she shoehorned herself into the session just so she could try and stop Lord English.
- Healing Hands:
- She cures Terezi's blindness.
- She later heals Jake so he can reach his full potential - though it looks as though it was done through Mind Rape than actual healing.
- The Heavy: Vriska reveals that, as far as the whole "Ghost Army" plot goes, she was the one controlling most of the ghosts - Vriska just tried to take some of the credit for it in an effort to try and connect with her ancestor.
- Hellish Pupils: She has an eye with seven pupils, like Vriska. It comes back to an uncanny effect when she comes back to life.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: See Be Careful What You Wish For above.
- I Just Want to Be Special: She reveals she also wants to live a "special" life like Mindfang's after coming back to life.
- Identical Grandson: Aranea's hairstyle vaguely resembles a mixture of Vriska's and Terezi's. She also implies that she is related to the latter.
- It's a Long Story: Subverted. Aranea warns that the story surrounding her team's death is a long one that requires "major contextualization", before being shut up by Meenah's hand over her mouth. Meenah then proceeds to give a version of the story so short it gives the word 'abridged' a whole new meaning.
- And then, having hit her Rage Breaking Point, Aranea summarizes to Meenah the stories of their A2 counterparts in a single dialoglog.
- It's All About Me: Aranea plans to perform an act of great healing that will destroy Lord English forever — in fact, ensuring he never existed. Vriska manipul8ed events to create an unstoppable foe, inserting herself into the established timeline, with the end-goal of defeating him as gloriously as possible. Their plans have two things in common. One is that they're very, very bad plans. The other is that, no matter what either of them might claim, they have nothing to do with helping anyone else and everything to do with putting their respective Serkets front and center.
- Karmic Death: When Her Imperious Condescension finally got her hands on Aranea, she removed the Ring of Life from her hand and had her fall to her death into the inferno below. Typically, her Godtier powers would allow her to be resurrected after such an event, but it was ruled that her death was "Just" - and she's got plenty of irons in the fire back at the Dreambubble from whence she came. Particularly karmic in that the way she died (being killed in such a way that would prevent herself from resurrecting) directly mirrors that of the first person she killed, Jade.
- Light Is Not Good: In spite of her status as the Sylph of Light, there's serious questions about her sanity and her plan to heal the multiverse may not even be possible, and if it succeeds, she's made mention of pruning things she doesn't like from the future and essentially becoming God.
- The Man Behind the Man: She manipulated Gamzee into bringing her back to life, and she implies that she's given him commands before.
- Meaningful Name: Aranea is a genus of garden-variety orb-weaver spiders. It's also Latin for spiderweb.
- Vriska's last name of Serket was always somewhat unusual since Serket was a god of healing (Vriska is as far from a healer as you can imagine). However, Aranea shares the same last name as Vriska and has some sort of healing powers from being the Sylph of Light.
- She has revealed her light powers can possibly heal a doomed timeline and make it into the alpha timeline thanks to an eternity of practicing with them.
- Mind Control: She is capable of mind controlling other trolls like Vriska, and demonstrated her abilities on Gamzee. Her powers are even a good order of magnitude stronger than Vriska's.
- Mind Over Manners: This is apparently standard behavior for emotion readers; it's just hard for them to think that feelings should be secret when you can sense them all the time. She also apologizes to Jake for imposing on his personal boundaries by attempting to kiss him. Then she "heals" his mind without asking.
- Minidress of Power: Always wears a Dangerously Short Dress. It's how Meenah differentiates her and Vriska, until the two get to know each other better.
- Ms. Exposition: She will pay you to let her make an exposition dump.
- My Sensors Indicate You Want to Tap That:
JAKE: Youve sensed it when other fellas have had the hots for you eh?
- Neck Snap: How she checks out, courtesy of the Condesce.
- Nice Girl: Easily one of the most polite characters in the series, in stark contrast with her Post-Scratch descendant, Vriska. However, the truth is a little more complicated than that.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain:
- Allowing Jake to gain powers via Hopesplosion ends up making Brain Ghost Dirk real, leading to the start of her own downfall.
- Her entire plan doomed the timeline - but this is a good thing, because it also allowed for John, Roxy, and Terezi to uncover their full potential, thereby preventing her plan from occurring in the first place via Retcon.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Aranea was choked by the Condesce while she plucked the Ring of Life off her finger, then was promptly disposed of via a neck snap and dropped into The Forge, burning up her corpse.
- Nice Shoes: Snazzy red boots.
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Vriska notes that Mindfang was able to do the sort of things that Aranea wants to do not because she had the ambition, but because she was an adult and would be able to take on the responsibilities that her actions would bring about. She observes that, though Aranea had plenty of time to think about her plan, she didn't reach the level of maturity consider what it would do to everyone else or what could happen if it went wrong.
- Not So Above It All: When she throws a huge fit after Meenah interrupts her story.
- Not So Different: Aranea's habit of playing the Exposition Fairy to increase her own importance is exactly the same as how Vriska wanted to be the driving force behind every major development in her own Sgrub session. Additionally, Aranea's plan to save the session is essentially the same as Vriska's plan to create and beat Jack Noir; even if she ends up loathed, she'll make everyone and everything about her ultimate victory. The main difference between them is that Vriska has realized that kind of behavior is short-sighted and completely pointless in the long run, while Aranea has not.
- Not So Stoic:
- Is shown to have the "patience of a saint" in most of her appearances, and then she promptly flips her shit when she finds the rest of the dream bubble gathering she assembled in utter pandemonium by the time she returns with Jake.
- Her expression when Brain Ghost Dirk rips her soul out must be seen to be believed.
- And by [S] Game Over, all stoicism is gone.
- Oh, Crap:
- She looks completely terrified when Dirk takes her soul out of her body.
- She has another when Jane starts sleepattacking her.
- And another when The Condesce shows up.
- Her scream as the Condesce throttles her is a big one, and appropriate, given she dies not long after.
- Only Sane Man: Subverted, while she seemed definitely less sane then Porrim, but far more level-headed than the rest of the pre-scratch trolls except Rufioh, her grand plan and villain reveal has made it clear that she's worse than most of them.
- Parody Sue: Invoked. She mentions she was a boring version of Sue who would often turn discussion around to being about her. It was played with as well — Aranea is the one who consulted Echidna, not Porrim. This is contrast to Jade and Kanaya, who did. Finally, she's arisen to make herself into the ultimate Fixer Sue; she'll erase the Big Bad and make everything perfect, once and for all. No matter how much saner minds (or Meenah and Vriska) might protest.
- Physical God: Like her dancestor, she had ascended to the God Tiers.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Compared the the Beta trolls' Boring but Practical outfits. It also seems to be an inversion of the typical plain black troll shirt with their symbol in their blood color, as her dress is a deep blue (seemingly her blood color) with a plain white symbol.
- It's also very similar (possibly even a reference) to the white fairy dress Vriska once wore.
- Later replaced with an equally pimped out, Mindfang-inspired dress.
- Product Placement: Her necklace seems to be a picture of the one actually available in the What Pumpkin store.
- Rage Breaking Point: This.
- Self-Inflicted Hell: Boy, are Vriska, Meenah, and a whole lot of other people going to be pissed when she returns to the Dreambubbles.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: All heroes of light tend to blabber a lot, and Aranea goes above and beyond the call of duty.
- Shoot the Dog: She sees her solution to the problem of Grimbark Jade as this, noting that she would just regain her dark powers as soon as she regained consciousness, but her manipulation of the Godtier's resurrection system puts this more along the lines of Kick the Dog.
- Single-Issue Wonk: See Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness. Aranea loves talking so much she'll pay others to listen.
- Smug Snake: She's particularly arrogant, and it rubs Roxy and Dirk the wrong way. She's also overlooked Dirk's powers both as a Prince and a Heart Player and she underestimated the technology available to the Condesce.
- The Sociopath: Quite possibly. Aranea is all but totally devoid of empathy, and her kind facade is an act. Nearly everything she does, she does to further her own plans - which basically only exist to assuage Aranea's own boredom and put her front-and-center. Really, if Aranea isn't a full-blown sociopath, she's definitely a Narcissist.
- Spanner in the Works: She tries to become one to Lord English's creation, the Condesce's plan, and the Alpha Timeline itself. Brain Ghost Dirk and Jane's Crockerc-orruption become one to her plan.
- Spirit Advisor: The truest example of the trope in Homestuck yet... Until she decides to get in on the Session herself.
- Strike Me Down with All of Your Hatred: She requests that Dirk should try and cut her arm off. He knows better than to do that.
- Time Abyss: She's spent so much time in the Furthest Ring that time no longer has much meaning to her.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: She can do this by healing the wounds in someone's mind and does it to unlock Jake's full power as a Page of Hope.
- Unreliable Narrator: She's Ms. Exposition, and almost everything we know about the A1 session or the history of the cherubs comes from her... but her flipout near the end of the story (and Meenah's discussion with Vriska, implying Aranea was always a Glory Hound) calls basically all of that into question.
- Villainous Breakdown: She loses her goddamn mind after the Condesce ruins her plans.
- Walking Spoiler: More than any other character in her own Cast Herd. Pretty much everything the reader is lead to believe about her is thrown completely out the window by Act 6 Act 6 Act 2.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She plans on preventing Lord English from coming into being by messing with the timeline, and then using her Sylph of Light powers to make it into the alpha timeline after it becomes doomed. Then she plans on making countless other universes she intends to watch over and prevent the rise of someone else like him from ever happening.
ARANEA: I'm going to take over this session.
ARANEA: And then I am going to make sure it never 8ears fruit.
ARANEA: If I can stop this universe from 8eing cre8ted, then the young Lord of Time will never have hatched in the first place.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She was very interested in explaining how Leprechaun romance and reproduction works. So much so she did the gushing face while explaining them.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type B.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of Darkleer (Equius' ancestor). He is the Page of Void
of his session.
Starts all sentences with 8=D <, meant to symbolize a horse's face, along with other elaborate horse faces and Shift-JIS emotes.
Capitalizes STRONG and all related words/derivatives. Writes "blue" as "b100" and censors all —> profanities using asterisks. ("Profanities" including words like "fudge" and "shoot")
Replaces "x" and "ks" sounds with %. Uses frequent, almost obsessive horse puns. Perfect grammar and synta% otherwise.
- The Big Damn Kiss: It's implied this happened offscreen between him and Rufioh, a Call Back to Jake and Dirk's kiss.
- Blessed with Suck: As the Page of Void, he was limitless potential from nothingness. However, that nothingness defined him far more than his potential in the end.
- Empty Shell: He thought he was this. Then he began to listen to the void inside him. Then he went pretty much batshit insane.
- Flanderization: Equius had a rather complicated personality for a minor character, which fans were fascinated with but which was actually just a pastiche of things Hussie found amusing in the past. Horuss worked to create himself from a blank slate to a very complicated individual but failed to recreate himself as anyone of substance.
- Fetish: Implied to have a horse fetish.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Even moreso than Equius, if that were possible. He even has strength-dampening equipment to sidestep some of the issues Equius faced.
- Innocent Innuendo: The 8=D he prefixes all his speech with is supposed to be his goggles, the nose-gap in his helm, and his smiling mouth. Not a human penis.
- That's nothing: Every single time he uses it, he adds a "<" afterwords, one assumes to provide a break. It get's worse when he wants to show "sweat" dripping off his face. As Troll biology is... weird, none of them know exactly what this all means, but they're all incredibly skeeved by it.
- He also has a tendency to describe things in a much more physically and intimately passionate manner than is strictly necessary.
- I Just Want to Be Special: According to Aranea
"Yet in spite of all he worked to make something of himself, he amounted to very little. Responsible for neither great feats of heroism nor acts of villainy, he was just another game piece to be moved about the board. The aspect ruling his life would always conspire to dampen his relevance."
- Mad Scientist
- Magikarp Power: Deconstructed. While Magikarp Power is an inherent feature of all Pages, attempting to achieve it drove him mad my listening to the Void inside him.
- Meaningful Name: "Horuss" sounds a lot like "Horse". It also suggests the Egyptian god Horus, though this was probably not why the name was chosen; all the same, it has to be pointed out that practically every major god in the Egyptian pantheon was part-animal.
- Nice Guy: Comparatively, though he just comes off as creepy.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: When Rufioh attempts to break up with him.
- Otherkin: Believes himself to be a horse. Unlike Cronus, he is entirely sincere about it.
- Split Personality: Believes himself to be a multiple system of several ancestral horse spirits.
- Taken Up to Eleven on creepiness when he rebuilds Rufioh's body as a horse to be more like his ideal.
- The Pollyanna: He tries really hard to invoke this, having resolved to bury his insecurities under a mountain of positive thinking. Meenah remembered him as a dour sort and is taken aback by his permanent smile and fixedly cheery demeanor. It doesn't last long under her watch, though.
- The Power of the Void: His abilities as a Page of Void was to literally become a Blank Slate, with limitless potential springing from nothing. He did become quite the Renaissance Man, but over time, his own abilities (with some outside help from Meulin encouraging his Stepford Smiler nature) drove him insane.
- Renaissance Man: According to Aranea, he's a very talented man.
- Sanity Slippage: He used to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold who was kinda boring but nonethless Rufioh liked him. Then he decided to better himself and became a Renaissance Man. But over the course of thousands of sweeps, listening to the Void within him drove him insane.
- Stealth Pun/Visual Pun: Appears to have a pony tail.
- His helmet leaves a fringe of hair sticking out that resembles a horse's mane.
- Not very subtle, but his Page of Void title makes him an empty page in the philosophical sense.
- Steam Punk: Being a Zahhak, the steam is of course made of his own sweat.
- Stepford Smiler: Forces himself to smile all the time, but fully admits that it's just an act and that he's really repressing his true feelings.
- And in another flavor of the trope, beneath his grumpy true nature is a lot of crazy. Beneath that is an Empty Shell. Hussie hit all three types of Stepford Smiler in 1 character.
- Think Happy Thoughts: He is initially encouraged to, though he ends up weirding people out instead.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of the Grand Highblood (Gamzee's ancestor). He was the Prince of Rage
of his session.
Normally "speaks" via mime, reaction gifs and clown smilies :o)
USES ALARMING PURPLE-ON-BLACK TEXT WHEN "TALKING" ABOUT HIS LORD
- Affably Evil: His psychic conversations show that his eerily polite behavior isn't just an act.
- Amicable Exes: With Meulin, though the Mind Manipulation he's been shown to use on her makes it somewhat questionable.
- Anime Hair: His huge horns don't even show up in his silhouette.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Zigzagged. When he finally DOES speak, he talks as if he's leading a sermon, but he mixes it up with Juggalo-speech and Sophisticated as Hell.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Initially depicted as a quirky mime, he is in fact just as evil as sober Gamzee and is actually conspiring with said descendant to bring about Lord English's victory. Also to give Gamzee his now-signature codpiece.
- Body Horror: He chewed off his own tongue and his mouth is sewn shut.
- Dark Secret: Everything about him, he keeps hidden from his former teammates just as religiously as his devotion to Lord English.
- The Dragon: One of the many ones to Lord English, working with his alternate, Gamzee. His manipulations along with Meenah's are the biggest reasons his session is so messed up.
- Devil in Plain Sight: He looks evil, continually schemes, and when Aranea mentions her distrust in him it's a gag rather than a real suspicion.
- Elective Mute/Silent Bob/The Voiceless: At first, anyway. Given his lack of a tongue and decidedly powerful psychic abilities, his dialogue may in fact be telepathy.
- Enemy Mime: He's got a mime motif, with face paint and silence complementing his ancestors Monster Clown look.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He still seems to care for Meulin even after breaking up with her and going insane.
- Evil Genius: He's been meticulously guarding his memories from everyone else for as many sweeps as they've been inside the dream bubble.
- Flipping the Bird: Does this to Meenah in one of the Openbound segments.
- Genre Savvy: As a servant of Lord English, Kurloz pretty much needed to be this in order to avoid any possibility of his plans being derailed.
- Outside of Lord English-related schemes, Kurloz helps Meulin with kismeses as far as her shipping chart. He's noted to be surprisingly accurate and his predictions about kismeses become real.
- Generation Xerox: Like Gamzee, he's had a Freak Out that's made him evil. The difference is that Gamzee's Freak Out made him abandon his religion, while the opposite seems to have happened with Kurloz.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Purple when using the chuckle voodoos.
- Juggalo: Looks the part and is part of the "mirthful messiah" cult. However, he has foregone any parallels with the ICP and explicitly worships Caliborn/Lord English.
- Looks Like Cesare
- Messy Hair: Hoo boy. In his silhouetted minisprite, it's almost as wide as he is tall.
- The Mole
- Mind Manipulation: The first time we see his true colors is when Meulin gives him the codpiece he wanted. He takes control of her mind, causing her eyes to glow shades of purple, and has her praise Lord English.
- Obviously Evil:
- Purple Is Powerful: From what has been seen, his chucklevoodoo and mind control powers trounce Gamzee's.
- Religion of Evil/Scary Amoral Religion: Religiously worships Lord English and Cherubs in general.
- Token Evil Teammate: Of all the morally dubious Pre-Scratch Trolls, he's at the top, he lacks a sympathetic goal like Meenah and Aranea and he most actively schemes against the party unlike Damara.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Aranea he and Meulin used to be in a stable and happy matespritship, until Kurloz had a nightmare, after which he screamed enough to deafen Meulin. This incident prompted him to chew off his own tongue and sew his mouth shut. It's hinted this "nightmare" was the beginning of his worship of Lord English.
The pre-Scratch incarnation of Orphaner Dualscar (Eridan's ancestor) . He is the Bard of Hope
of his session.
uses vw's for vwords that begin vwith w or v
and wv's for vwords that end vwith w or v.
uses 8's for capital B's.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Towards Meenah and, implicitly, every other one of the Pre-Scratch Trolls. No one wants to get near him, for understandable reasons.
- Anything That Moves: Including Eridan.
- Attention Whore: Most of the things he does are for attention, as he and Meenah both point out.
- The Bully: Harasses Mituna, a brain damaged troll, when he keeps patting his shoulder even though he tells him to stop, and treats him like a friend, that is, until he gets angry at him and rudely insults him, even for Meenah getting angry for him treating Mituna badly, which had nothing to do with Mituna as he was the victim.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Deconstructed - He acts superficially nice because he wants sex.
- Entitled to Have You: Acts this way on a regular basis.
- Fan Nickname: Coolscar, based around his leaked sprites.
- Once he actually appeared, people started referring to him as Toolscar and Douchescar.
- Flanderization: Of some of Eridan's negative traits. Like Eridan, Cronus had romantical issues with Peixes which went south. Unlike Feferi with Eridan, Meenah seems to at least stop Cronus from grilling Mituna, while also being able to partially have a pleasant enough conversation. Like Eridan, he has little to no success regarding his romantic advances. Like fanon Eridan, he tries to hit on anything that moves, and does so through head games and put-downs with a side order of way too much touching.
- The misconception of Eridan saying "nyeh" is turned into an Ascended Meme when Cronus says it near the end of the Openbound he is in.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: And it really isn't hard to see why.
- Gag Codpiece: Being a Bard, his god tier robes feature a codpiece of questionable size. An Eridan in the Ministrife is unlucky enough to have a god tier Cronus get a little too close for comfort.
- Greaser Delinquents
- Hate Sink: In-Universe, Hussie refers to Cronus as being the worst character in Homestuck.
- Hipster: Implied in a few of his song title choices, while pitching them to Meenah.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: As a Bard of Hope, Cronus is skilled at causing others to doubt their hopes and happiness, seen best through his verbal beatdown on Mituna, particularly the part where he tries to convince him that Latula only loves him out of pity. His actions also help invite the destruction of his own hopes - Meenah gleefully steals and destroys his cherished belongings, almost everyone he knows wants little to do with him and Hussie cons him into a date just to score a ride on his lusus. Aranea also states that somebody rendered him quite jaded after they crushed his dreams of becoming a powerful wizard and his belief in magic.
- Ignored Epiphany: He admits that this whole "humankin"-greaser thing might just another cry for attention and perhaps he ought to change who he is (if only to have a chance with Meenah), but fortunately Kankri shows up to tell him to trust his feelings and never doubt himself.
- Incest Is Relative: After they both die, Eridan dates him out of a mix of pity and being harassed into it. Yes, even Eridan thinks that Cronus is garbage.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When Meenah calls him out on picking on Mituna, he counters that she shouldn't have a problem with it, what with her idolizing her post-scratch self, who did a lot worse to Mituna's post-scratch self. Meenah can't come up with an effective rebuttal.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He tries to prove to Meenah that he isn't all that bad... Only to immediately follow it up with by bullying Mituna.
- Kick the Dog: Invading the personal space of the guy with a traumatic brain injury who Hates Being Touched and is telling you very loudly and clearly to keep your hands to yourself is a good way to instantly label yourself as a skeevy asshole.
- Large Ham: He's pretty dramatic when you think about it.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Meenah will break his Ahab's Crosshairs if she gets her hands on it in Openbound, while Hussie goes on a date with him just to fly away on his lusus and later refer to him as the worst character in Homestuck. It's almost as if his actions fulfil his mythological role by inviting the destruction of his hopes.
- Meaningful Name: In Rome, the Titan Cronus is known as Saturn. In astrology, Saturn is traditionally known as the ruling planet of Aquarius.
- No Sense of Personal Space: He continues patting Mituna's shoulder when Mituna tells him repeatedly and with unusual coherence to stop doing so. Cronus' attempts at reassurance just make it creepier.
- Otherkin: Claims to identify as a human, specifically a 1950's era greaser, but seems to say this for attention and he only kept the charade going because Kankri put him on the spot.
- Prince Charming Wannabe: Blatantly and spectacularly bad at it.
- Smoking Is Cool: He carries a cigarette in his mouth, but it's just to look cool. He doesn't actually light it up, since he considers that to be a waste of a perfectly good cig.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Dear god, he makes Eridan look like a Shrinking Violet. Along with his highly unsuccessful sexual escapades, Aranea's exposition of him contains points such as Cronus believing he was born to become a magnificent magician and to take down "an extrordinarily evil magician", presumably Lord English; a la Harry Potter and Voldemort.
- The Sociopath: And how.
- Stealth Pun: Maybe unintentional, but he combines a double lightning scar (alongside other elements of the Harry Potter mythos) with the aesthetic of a 50s greaser.
- Take That: He's meant to mime the sort of people who, despite being flagrant douches, insist that they're "the nice, sensitive one" being tormented and rejected by the cruel masses. He's also one to the "pickup artist" community, showing off just how sleazy in practice "negging" and deliberately faking bonding (e.g. touching someone familiarly) actually is.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: According to Aranea, he used to be marginally nicer before someone gave him a Breaking Speech and made him realize magic wasn't real.
- Weak-Willed: One of the worst of all the characters. As a seadweller, he is born with extremely potent biological immunity to psychic power, yet Vriska can still mind control two different versions of him into ramming each other from great distances with ease while throwing a tantrum.
First seen when Roxy was temporarily trapped in the Furthest Ring, she is the pre-Scratch iteration of the Condesce (Feferi's ancestor), and was the Thief of Life
of her session.
uses lazy diction and grammar and doesnt use punctuation
uses feferis quirk when S)(OUTING FOR -EMP)(ASIS
also uses a lot of fish puns tho she admits most flounder
and tiara and goggles emotes 38T
- Money Fetish: If Act 6 Intermission 3 is of any indication, she absolutely loves the stuff. Latula affectionately calls her "Paycheck".
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- The Nicknamer: Dismissive jerk version. She calls Karkat "nubbyshouts" and doesn't really care to learn the names of anyone new that she meets, such as calling John "nerd," "god-tier boy," and "blue boy." This goes so far that she can't even remember the names of some of her session's other players.
- Official Couple: With Vriska.
- Official Kiss: with Vriska.
- Pet the Dog: She baked her friends a cake to celebrate their first anniversary in the game.
- Meenah finds Feferi to be very cute, and is rather depressed that their blood's genetic triggers prevent them from bonding.
- Pink Means Feminine: Aversion. She's associated with pink because of her blood color - tyrian pink, not because of any feature of her personality.
- Prongs of Poseidon: And Naturally they are gold.
- Rebellious Princess: According to Aranea, she saw the role of Empress as a "glorified slave" and disliked the caste system as a whole. In fact, an instance of her running away led to her initially discovering the game. This is no doubt a reference to Feferi's own characterization, though unlike most examples, she is far from heroic.
- Running Gag: Meenah killing John's dream bubble iteration every time she sees him.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Though that's mostly due to her Milky White Eyes.
- Slasher Smile: Seemingly constantly.
- Short Hair with Tail: Actually two thin tails, both long enough to trail behind her on the ground.
- Sociopathic Hero: Has attacked several protagonists unprovoked, but is currently attempting to get a group together to fight the Big Bad.
- Squee: Getting on her good side in any number of ways (agreeing with her opinions, making fish puns, discussing her Alpha version's genocidal march across the universe) tends to provoke this reaction. Make her happier and she'll enter what can only be described as a joy coma.
- See Actually Pretty Funny.
- Tetragonist: Being the Protagonist for Act 6 Intermission 3 and the most influential member of the fourth session mentioned, she would be this, not Kankri.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
- Time Abyss: Averted. It's only been a few hours for Meenah since her death unlike the rest of her group.
- Token Evil Teammate: For the pre-Scratch trolls as a whole. Well, she was the most obvious one, what with Kurloz being The Mole and Damara using Time Travel to ruin their session. As Aranea puts it:
[Vriska] was a serious trou8lemaker in your party. Many player groups have to deal with those.
I feel as though we had one of the worst cases in our party. 8ut when all was said and done, she was still our friend.
- To put it in perspective: Her reaction to all the horrible things her post-scratch self has done. Not even getting the crap beat out of her could pull her from her bliss. Of course, then she learns what Aranea didn't tell her about.
- Meenah's actually an interesting example in that while she was most definitely this to her group during her game proper, after the scratch so many of her fellow players grinded levels in assholery that, while not necessarily coming off as pleasant per se, she seems significantly less evil and/or repugnant than other characters - namely Damara and Kurloz - to the extent that she doesn't really qualify anymore as a Token Evil.
- It's also possible, in light of what her personality turns out to be like, that Aranea's description of Meenah as her team's troublemaker was her being an Unreliable Narrator — it directly mirrors Vriska's dream-bubble conversation with John, where she said that Terezi was her team's troublemaker, and Meenah's later conversations with Vriska imply that Aranea always showed hints of what she eventually became.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She becomes less of a gleeful sociopath and more of a well-rounded person after she dies, even though she still takes pleasure in a handful of her more unpleasant habits.
- Villain Leitmotif: "Hate You", which she shares with the Condesce.
- Villain Protagonist: Of her own Session, as a matter of fact. She's an alternate version of the Big Bad, after all.
- She tries growing out of this when she becomes the protagonist. She's gotten some Character Development in recent updates, and genuinely seems to have begun looking out for the best interests of everyone.
- War for Fun and Profit: Her two key motivations for fighting.
> Go Back > Return to main page