Characters: Homestuck Trolls One
Elsewhere in paradox space, we examine another planet, forgotten by time. But we will strive to remember. What was this planet's name?
Long before the formation of planet Earth, there was a world called Alternia. Alternia was a world ruled by the trolls
, a species who, at least externally
, look like humans
with grey skin
, yellow eyes
, and striped horns
. The trolls, too, have found Sburb (or rather, Sgrub), and over the course of the adventure we meet twelve troll children who play it together, split into two sessions of six. However, sometime during the course of their quest, something goes very wrong
, and they begin a campaign of petty internet harassment
against the kids, who they blame for the incident. Despite their monstrous looks, sinister screennames
, and character profiles composed of mixes and inversions of traits from one or more of the kids
, the trolls mostly aren't that bad
; they were introduced properly in their own sub-adventure arc in Act 5 Act 1, also known as Hivebent, before essentially becoming part of the main cast on par with the kids in Act 5 Act 2.
open/close all folders
♈ Aradia Megido ♈
"You once had a number of INTERESTS, which in time you have LOST INTEREST IN. You seem to recollect once having a fondness for ARCHEOLOGY, though now have trouble recalling this passion. It nonetheless has led you to find your PRESENT CALLING, which came through the discovery of these MYSTIC RUINS on which you presently stand, and which you recently DESECRATED OUT OF BOREDOM."
A rather spooky female troll who organized the Troll session. Before the beginning of the story, she was murdered by Vriska, by means of a mind-controlled Sollux. However, prototyping her Kernelsprite with the head of a frog statue and her own ghost brought her back to life.
In Sburb, she is the Maid of Time
. Her trolltag is "apocalypseArisen
types with0ut punctuati0n 0r capitalizati0n (th0ugh she s0metimes uses exclamati0n p0ints!)
and replaces the letter "O" with "0"
she 0ccasi0nally uses a blank em0tic0n 0_0 though she's als0 dabbled in trying t0
make it l00k happy but it kind 0f l00ks stupid t00 0u0
upon ascension to god tier her "0"s become "o"s and she uses regular emoticons like :)
and has a more cheerful disposition in general
When God Tier Aradia and a memory Aradiabot were in the same log, the Aradiabot used her old typing quirk and Equius' color to distinguish herself. The Aradiabot quickly abandoned the typing quirk, but kept the color.
- Because Destiny Says So: Most of what she does is because the voices of the dead tell her to do it. Later this ties into Timey-Wimey Ball, as it's implied Aradia herself is the voices of the dead guiding her. Or more accurately her time duplicates.
- Expendable Clone / More Expendable Than You: Justified. Duplicates created by time travel which doesn't cause a Stable Time Loop are doomed to die anyways and treated as expendable.
- Expy: Her personality when alive is a lot like Jade, and her text post-revival even has people confused occasionally because they have nearly identical quirks.
- Hearing Voices: Explicitly one of her powers.
- Leitmotif: psych0ruins note and Arisen Anew.
- Meaningful Name: Her discovering Sburb set the End of the World as We Know It in motion. (If linear causality has any meaning with all the Weird Time Shit going on.)
- Aradia is the name of a goddess of witches, portrayed as the messianic daughter of the goddess Diana and the god Lucifer. Lucifer is a Latin word (from the words lucem ferre), literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Venus in Aries is in its detriment, because Aries is the opposite sign to Libra, which Venus rules.
- Megido is a shortened form of Megiddo, which is what we get the word armageddon from. It's also a place that a number of religions believe the final battle will take place.
- Me's a Crowd: Her time powers can be used to create an army of alternate future selves. And unlike Dave (who could theoretically do the same thing, but doesn't because doing so dooms the version of himself making the decision to copy themselves to death), robot-Aradia doesn't care about dying, so she can abuse it relentlessly.
- Mind over Matter: To spectacular levels.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: She's a ram-looking psychic alien ghost time traveler archaeologist merged with a frog-statue-prototyped sprite who's haunting a robot body fueled by blood which eventually exploded because her soul turned into an immortal fairy goddess of time who is the descendant of a forced apprentice to an mob boss/eldritch demon of time/personification of death and now acts as a dream guide/psychopomp. Yeah.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Delivers one to Vriska at the end of [S] Make Her Pay
- Off Model: No one can seem to figure out how her horns are supposed to work. If you watch [S] Make Her Pay, they're all over the place. According to Andrew, her horns "curl whatever way looks best for the scene."
- Out of Focus: Zigzagged, she takes center stage a few times but ends up being not one of the main trolls.
- Psychic Powers: Levitation, telekinesis, hearing the voices of the dead, summoning their spirits, and putting people to sleep.
- Power Floats: Though being dead helps a bit... and just plain being psychic period once she's not so dead and actually not dead at all.
- Prescience Is Predictable: Gets hit with this hard.
- Shout-Out: Eventually becomes an immortal master of time. Her second leitmotif Arisen Anew even contains the top quote on Timey-Wimey Ball!
- Stable Time Loop: In a nutshell, how she gains her Crosbytop and discovers Sgrub to begin with. Given that she is also the Maid of Time, a lot of her actions revolve around this.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Aradia uses her time powers rather infrequently but still has them, especially now that she's ascended to her god tiers. The trope naming line gets directly quoted in one of her later themes.
- Triang Relations: Close to Sollux; secretly lusted after by Equius
- Uncatty Resemblance: Her lusus, seen in flashback, has curly ram horns like hers.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Easily the most fatalistic character before her revival, both due to her vantage point as the Maid of Time and due to having lived with voices telling her the future much of her "life."
PAA: and here i was thinking we were finished taking 0rders fr0m v0ices!
PAA: weve 0nly swapped the imperatives 0f the dead with th0se 0f 0ur future selves
PAA: wh0 are als0 dead
FAA: yes it seems that way
PAA: 0h well it was an enj0yable reprieve fr0m fatalism while it lasted
PAA: id nearly managed t0 sav0r it
FAA: an err0r narr0wly av0ided then
- Dead All Along: Ghost Aradia is the first iteration introduced.
- The Eeyore: She is very gl00my.
- Emotionless Girl: Consistently shows no emotion in this state.
- Ghost Amnesia: Not only can she no longer remember what it was like to feel anger, she more or less can't remember ever having felt it at all. Bear in mind that the angriest moment in her life was directly prior to her death. She doesn't seem to have forgotten how she died, but her own emotions regarding what happened that day are a rather shocking thing for her to have forgotten.
- Battle Couple: With Equius.
- Casual Kink: Her and Equius's relationship is pretty evocative of BDSM. That and she kisses him passionately after beating the crap out of him.
- Doomed by Canon: The Aradiabot was shown to explode several months before it happened. Ended up being a Meta Twist however, as Aradia was revived into her God Tiers and the robot exploding was simply a symptom of that.
- Emotionless Girl: Most of the time, but unlike Ghost Aradia, she can feel anger.
- Frogs and Toads: After second-tier prototyping her frogsprite with herself. Reverted when she reaches her god tiers.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Prototyping her sprite with a frog was critical to the trolls' success. Why? The Black Queen hates frogs note , and refused to wear her prototyping ring because of it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: How her doomed temporal duplicates become doomed temporal duplicates.
- Mood-Swinger: Her emotions tend to be level, unless she gets enraged whereupon she simply goes nuts. At least Sollux simply alternates between 'be2t damn hacker ever' and 'everythiing 2uck2 god why even try'.
- The ones who show up during Meenah and Vriska's showdown want to "destr0y everything", which Equius thinks is just a malfunction.
- Not So Stoic:
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: To Vriska
God Tier Aradia
- Above Good and Evil: She doesn't like to think of herself in those terms.
- Badass Boast: "You're done with dying."
- Bring It: Her grin◊ when facing Bec Noir just screams this.
- The Chessmaster: One of the better examples of the Trolls, she organizes much of the events of Cascade and together with Feferi is the mastermind behind the dreambubbles; however she willingly steps down afterwards to hold Jack off.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has a tendency to do this after her revival, though still good naturedly.
TA: h0ly shit, i can't see!
- Did You Just Timestop Bec Noir?: Yes. Yes she did.
- Dissonant Serenity:
ARADIA: so please believe that i would never take joy from the destruction of any soul
ARADIA: however you must realize that it is only by the grace of the horrorterrors that so many have been allowed to continue existing for so long
ARADIA: they have persisted for ages beyond their time just as he has
ARADIA: as such it seems to me his rampage is just another kind of housekeeping
ARADIA: while he rounds the ring undoing the work of the gods we must prepare for his undoing as well
ARADIA: to ready the manor for the lords arrival so to speak :)
- Fan Nickname: Alive-radia
- Letters 2 Numbers: Averted. she drops the quirk once she is brought back to life for real and opts to talk like this!
- Maid Of Time On Fire: Done to her dreamself by Bec Noir, and how she Came Back Strong
- Ms. Exposition: On a couple of occasions, starting here and here.
- Nice Girl: Probably the nicest of the trolls, despite her obsession with death.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Ever since her god-tier revival, she has displayed a fascination with death after spending so much time in the dream bubbles, to the point of getting excited over having a "corpse party" for Sollux's dead body. Sollux calls her out on this, and Terezi thinks it's charming and funny she's become such a "D34TH F4NG1RL".
- Taken to a whole new level, as detailed below.
- Omnicidal Maniac: When John asks her what she wants the most?
i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart
- Note however, that it's played with since she's not actively trying to cause said destruction, nor does she support the being that's causing it. She just likes to watch. Also, this could be taken as a kind of Badass Boast: She knows what happens when you play the game normally. She wants to know what happens when you break it, i.e. defeat Lord English.
- Only Sane Man: Subverted; generally, the more insane a troll, the more unusual their quirk is, and Aradia post-revival has no quirk at all beyond not capitalizing anything and speaks perfectly normally. Then it turns out she's also crazy, she's just polite about it.
- Perky Goth: Despite an ongoing (and seemingly escalating) obsession with death, Aradia is much more cheery than her previous selves.
- Power Gives You Wings: When she ascends to God Tiers.
- Put on a Bus: She stayed behind at the Green Sun to delay Jack Noir.
- The Bus Came Back: Eventually shows up in Act 6 Intermission 3, having become a self appointed caretaker of the dead.
- She's Back: And HOW.
- Slasher Smile:
- Upon Jack Noir accidentally waking up her dreamself and causing her to God Tier her smile can only be defined as this.
- She pulls another one much later.
- And lately, it's pretty much her default expression.
- Take a Third Option: Aradia has a choice: she can either let Jack go and die now, or hold him in place as long as she can and die when she eventually runs out of power. Her solution? Dodge into Jack and teleport to the Green Sun.
♉ Tavros Nitram ♉
"You are known to be heavily arrested by FAIRY TALES AND FANTASY STORIES. You have an acute ability to COMMUNE WITH THE MANY CREATURES OF ALTERNIA, a skill you have utilized to CAPTURE AND TRAIN a great many. They are all your friends, as well as your warriors, which you pit in battle through a variety of related CARD AND ROLE PLAYING GAMES. You used to engage in various forms of MORE EXTREME ROLEPLAYING with some of your other friends before you had an accident."
A rather awkward troll with huge horns, who is paralysed from the waist down; he has a childish disposition and upbeat personality regardless.
In Sburb, he is the Page of Breath
. His trolltag is "adiosToreador
He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS
with the LANCEKIND ABSTRATUS
For a brief period of time later in the story he became Jane's sprite, along with Vriska
. Came Back Wrong
applies heavily here. See that character's section for tropes applying to it.
tYPES WITH INVERSE CAPITALIZATION, uSES COMMAS AS PERIODS, aND, uHHH,,,,,,
uSES SMILIES WITH CURLY BRACKETS FOR HORNS, }:)
- Accidental Murder: He runs over his lusus while talking to Nepeta.
- Also of Grandpa Harley, though due to cultural differences he doesn't realize that this is a bad thing.
- Adorkable: He sucks at trolling, but you still want to hug the poor guy.
- Actual Pacifist: May have managed to get through the session without killing a single enemy.
- A Load of Bull: He sports a pair of ridiculously oversized bull-like horns, in keeping with his Zodiac sign. Because of them, he gets little sleep because he can't fit into his recuperacoon.
- Apologizes a Lot: Tends to apologize often for things like bEING BORING, though notably he refuses to apologize to Vriska for having a disability.
- Artificial Limbs: Equius builds him some robot legs.
- Back from the Dead: Gets brought back via prototyping, like Dream Jade did. However...
- The Beastmaster: He can control any animal. This extends to imps and ogres. This extends to BEC.
- Brownish Orangey Prose: He's a very nervous speaker which, ignoring his faltering "uhs", results in his words manifesting as innocuously and concise as possible. When he's not indulging in god-awful rapping anyway.
- Blood from the Mouth: After facing Vriska, Terezi finds him, sporting this trope.
- Blow You Away: Although his powers are not nearly as strong as John's, they have the same Aspect.
- Break the Cutie: It started with his paralysis and Vriska's constant abuse, but what really broke him was when Vriska demanded that he Mercy Kill her and he couldn't bring himself to do it.
- Butt Monkey: Quite the Butt Monkey. He isn't good at rapping, trolling, or even being confident in himself. He also undergoes a disproportionate amount of psychological and physical abuse.
- Characterization Marches On: Compare his smug first appearance to his more optimistic personality seen later on.
- Cheerful Child: Stays pretty upbeat despite a lot of things. Later eventually starts emoting more at the end of the Troll's session as it gets worse.
- Chew Toy: The poor guy gets forced to walk off a cliff, paralyzed from the waist down, gets his legs chainsawed off, has a Tsundere, Manipulative Bitch frenemy, and gets run through with his own spear.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: After he and Vriska die and become matesprits, it becomes clearly that he doesn't like having John around and tends to act distastefully towards him. John, however, is oblivious to this.
- Cool Chair: It's a Flying Car!
- Cyborg: After their session of Sburb Equius makes him some robot legs that allow him to walk... once Kanaya has chainsawed off his old ones.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: His first attempt at Communing with Bec show the differences between the two cultures. The way he saw things, he was protecting Jade and her lusus from an intruder. Too bad the "intruder" he was saving Jade from was her grandfather.
- The Dog Bites Back: After quite some time of being pushed around by Vriska (though she does loosen up on him a little), he up and quits helping her.
- Duel to the Death: Embarked to have one with Vriska. When it finally happens, since he's facing a God Tier opponent, it goes about as well as you'd expect.
- Entitled to Have You: Initially towards Jade, and lately towards Vriska. This backfires spectacularly with Jade (as his saving her life turns out to give him a lot less leverage over her given that he killed her grandfather in the same stroke); Vriska, being Vriska, steamrollers right over Tavros the way she pretty much always has.
- Mr. Fanservice: You'd be surprised at all the Self-Fanservice he gets, portraying him as having a toned torso from all the wheelchairing around, and typically portrayed as the tallest troll standing.
- Extreme Doormat: Vriska paralyzes him, and he still lets her boss him around. At one point she blames him for not being able to walk. (Actually, that particular instance is less of Tavros being a doormat as it is Vriska being mean, considering she makes similar remarks to Terezi.) He is incredibly shy, and the trope is even mentioned in canon when Terezi finds his body and says "Adios, sweet Toreadoormat." Once he and Vriska start dating in Act 6, it's played a bit looser but still in effect.
- Friend to All Living Things: Although he's allergic to cats.
- Gratuitous Spanish: His trolltag.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He does not take the fact that John used to date Vriska well.
- Grew a Spine: He finally stands up to Vriska and goes to fight her after he discovers she created Bec Noir.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: How his dreamself dies. Kanaya does this to him as well to allow his legs to be replaced with robotic prosthetics.
- Handicapped Badass: Implied by the fact that he went from living on Alternia to reaching the top of his echeladder while unable to use his legs the entire time.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: His initially weaksauce ability to commune with Alternian fauna also applies to the hordes of imps, ogres, basilisks, cyclopses and so forth. You think about that for a second. It turns out his ability also affects the lusus naturae, the guardian creatures that look after each young troll. Think about THAT for a second. Unlike Vriska, his powers can be used on different species, so he can control Bec. Think about that for a second. He can possibly control any creature that is part animal, such as Jack. Tavros could have prevented his and the other trolls deaths quite easily if he put his mind to it.
- Henpecked Matesprit: Towards Vriska, at least until he decides to leave her.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Oh how the list runs on.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He attempts to troll Dave. It does not go well.
- Later, he gets stabbed by his own lance after charging right into Vriska's hands.
- Hope Spot: Shared with Kanaya. It doesn't work.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: He's really bad at trolling, to the point where Dave countertrolled him without as much as a huff.
- He eventually ends up dropping all of the pretense entirely.
- Interspecies Romance: He had a one-sided redrom crush on Jade.
- Infamous Ancestor: He is a descendant of The Summoner, who was the one who ended up slaying Mindfang (and was her matesprit, and led the rebellion that resulted in an order to exile all troll adults off Alternia. A far cry from then and now.
- Informed Attribute: He tells Jade that the only time that he really enjoyed Sgrub was when he was asleep, but he seems to be having fun in the Land of Sand and Zephyr. Of course then Vriska was yelling at him and then it got awkward.
- Ironic Echo: Vriska's taunt of Fly, Pupa!!!!!!!! Flyyyyyyyy! is eventually used againt her by him when he gets sick of her shit and flies off with a fLY, pUPA, fLYYYYY,
- Jerkass Fašade: The facade is rather transparent, though. He ran out of mean things to say after his seventh line of dialogue. He seems to be a lot more friendly when he's talking to Jade.
- He's a straight up Jerkass to John, though, especially since John's making a bad first impression by putting on the engagement ring meant for Vriska and acting like total Jerkass back to him.
- Jive Turkey: He practices the ancient art of Alternian Slam Poetry, but isn't that good at it at all.
- Killed Off for Real: And, to hammer it home, he gets killed off again in short order after coming back wrong.
- Actually, the Tavrisprite incident subverts the trope, in that it likely saved his soul from death, or "double-death," at the hands of Lord English.
- Leitmotif: dESPERADO ROCKET CHAIRS,
- Love Martyr: Towards Vriska, after they die and become matesprits.
- Major Injury Underreaction: How he informs Karkat that he just became paralyzed.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Vriska's Masculine Girl. Admittedly they're something of a deconstruction.
- Meaningful Name: Tavros is Greek for bull.
- Alternatively, a reference to Tarvos Trigaranus, a bull god.
- He named his self-esteem Rufio, which fits into his fascination with Pupa Pan.
- "Nitram" is "Martin" written backwards, and was suggested after a fan's name in real life, similar to Gamzee's.
- Toreador is an alternate way of saying torero, or bullfighter...but the more commonly-used term for them in America is matador. His trolltag, adiosToreador, sounds like final words from a dying bull.
- Mercy Kill: Vriska was, at one point, trying to encourage him to pull one on herself, after Aradia was done with her, so her real self wouldn't bleed to death on her Quest Bed.
- Magikarp Power: Sadly unrealized.
- Nice Guy: He's timid, but that doesn't stop him from being polite.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Tavros killed Jade's Grandpa when he "communed" with Bec to save Jade when she accidentally shot herself as a toddler. In his defense, he didn't/doesn't know what a grandpa is and thought the old guy was an intruder. On the other hand he did save Jade's life and she forgave him pretty quickly
- No Indoor Voice: His whispers are loud enough that he can be heard from long distances.
- Oblivious to Love: Tavros is more or less clueless that Vriska has an enormous crush on him. He gets better later and even becomes her Henpecked Matesprit.
- Phrase Catcher: "Adios, Torea(word starting with the syllable 'dor')." From Vriska mostly.
- Playing with Fire: After his death, he seems to have this power as a Brick Joke.
- The Pollyanna: Read a little more, and you'll see why he's The Woobie. But despite all those things, he's usually smiling.
- Shout-Out: The role-playing and card games he uses animals in are based off of PokÚmon, and the animals he uses are based on the famous monsters from Alien.
- Tavros' strife specibus, his hive (and his Land) having windmills, his Spanish trolltag, and his over-idealistic way of thinking all point towards Tavros being the series' Don Quixote. Hell, his battle with Vriska could be described as tilting at windmills!
- Small Name, Big Ego: Has a lot more confidence in his trolling abilities than actual talent. Subverted it's not even funny. Literally.
- Smug Snake: Fans instantly pegged him as this when they first got a look at his amazingly punchable face, only to discover in late Act 4 that he wasn't actually such a bad guy... and then to learn in the Hivebent arc that he's — well, just see The Woobie below.
- It's later zigzagged. He can be a possessive jerkass (re: his interactions with John and Jade), but he can also be genuinely nice (re: his interactions with Dave, Aradia and Gamzee) and so he sometimes fits the trope.
- Stealth Pun:
- Why is he such a Woobie? Because he's being Bullied.
- Tavros has his legs replaced with robotic ones. He becomes a mechanical bull.
- Take That: The Author has indicated that his perpetually victimized woobie status is partly a Take That at some of the early criticism by the Fan Dumb (with Vriska playing the part of the critics.)
- Although he did also say he might have done it anyway, because fans are either sympathetic to him or amused, and it's important that a story invokes an "emotional response" in its readers.
- The Roleplayer: Tavros' character in FLARP was based around his personality and interests rather than being particularly effective in combat. This did not end well when he was pitted against Killer Game Master Vriska.
- Too Dumb to Live: That's right, Tavros. Just charge at the insane, manipulative, God-Powered girl who told you to charge at her. I'm sure it will all work out.
- He was set up by Vriska to attack her (complete with his real legs being her capote for taunting), knowing very well that he would fail no matter what he did. Much like in an actual bullfight.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He acts pretty dickish to Jade just after she enters the Medium, mainly because he thinks that's what being confident is all about.
- And when John shows up, he's pretty much a complete ass to him. Slightly justified in that he's dating Vriska, but he's still pretty negative about it.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: In the afterlife, he gets to meet an alternate Dave Strider, whom he apparently thinks is a cool guy, and engages in a one-sided slam-poetry battle whilst bringing incendiaries which require a licensed physician. While Dave is less than enthused about the whole thing, Tavros seems happy.
- Tavros' afterlife in general ends up being pretty much better than the Trauma Conga Line that was his life.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: His typing quirk uses a lot of commas, often several in a row.
- Western Zodiac: Taurus.
- Willfully Weak: Tavros refuses to use his powers of communion to force the imps to carry him up to his gate. He does later use his powers, probably because his only other option is killing the imps.
♊ Sollux Captor ♊
"You are apeshit bananas at computers, and you know ALL THE CODES. All of them. You are the unchallenged authority on APICULTURE NETWORKING. And though all your friends recognize your unparalleled achievements as a TOTALLY SICK HACKER, you feel like you could be better. It's one of a number of things you SORT OF BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT for NO VERY GOOD REASON during sporadic and debilitating BIPOLAR MOOD SWINGS. You have a penchant for BIFURCATION, in logic and in life. Your mutant mind is hounded by the psychic screams of the IMMINENTLY DECEASED."
A moody troll afflicted with bipolar mood swings, with an incredible knack for hacking.
In Sburb, he is the Mage of Doom
. His trolltag is "twinArmageddons
He has not yet allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS
with any KIND ABSTRATUS, as after all, a high-level psionic
has no need for weapons.
type2 wiith no cap2 but u2e2 punctuatiion. replace2 the letter "S" wiith "2", double2 the letter "I"
whenever iit2 u2ed, liike2 two replace the word2 "to" and "too" with "two".
refer2 two friiend2 wiith repetiitiive letter2 iin theiir name2 by tho2e letters. (kk for karkat, ff for feferii, etc.)
for a brief peri0d after l0sing his visi0n-tw0f0ld and his fangs he als0 l0ses his lisp and replaces his o's with 0's like Aradia did.
when half-dead, he types 0 and O in alternating 0rder in a co0l but c0nfusing way O_0.
- Ace Pilot: Shows Improbable Piloting Skills using his Psychic Powers to steer himself and the other trolls toward the Green Sun. While blind, taking direction from Terezi and Karkat, and possibly bleeding to death under the strain using said powers.
- Achievements in Ignorance: While he isn't stupid in any sense of the word, he ended up leaving his Dream Bubble, which is essentailly the afterlife, because he didn't know he couldn't.
Aradia: Hey! Why are you out of your dream bubble?
Sollux: am ii not 2uppo2ed two do that?
- Back from the Dead: Sort of. Thanks to his unique brain he ended up with two dream selves, one for Derse and one for Prospit; the current Sollux is actually the Derse dream self.
- Berserk Button: Voices of the imminently deceased. He goes nuclear when he suspects Clubs Deuce of being a spirit trying to bug him
- Black Eyes of Evil: Subverted — he's by no means evil, and girlfriend(s) killings aside he's actually considerably more relaxed now that he doesn't have visions, voices, a lisp, and a bifurcated brain to deal with.
- Blessed with Suck: He can hear the voices of those doomed to die. It's just that THEY. WON'T. SHUT. UP!!!
- Blind Mistake: While oscillating between Kismesis and Matesprit for Gamzee he's actually looking at the Lil Cal puppet, which confuses the hell out of Karkat.
- Blind Seer: Inverted. "...unlike the typical sightless prophet of doom, you are gifted with VISION TWOFOLD." However, he predicts that eventually the universe will make him one so that he can see visions of the future properly. Furthermore, when he goes blind, he loses his ability to hear the voices of the doomed, which he takes to mean nobody else is in danger.
- Blood from the Mouth: Shown here,after getting KO'd by Eridan.
- Also shows up in [S] CASCADE when he's "piloting" the asteroid to the Green Sun.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In the past, Vriska used her mind control abilities to make him murder Aradia.
- Cartwright Curse: Aradia blows up right before his eyes, and then Feferi gets killed.
- And of course, Vriska used him to kill Aradia in the first place.
- Cassandra Truth: Sollux is the one who initially learned of the game's true implications. Few believed him until it was too late. He's a little bit tweaked at this.
- He even manages to pull this on himself. In a future memo and sees that he's acting like he's in trouble and assumes in the future he'll just mess with Karkat. In the future, this is actually Sollux moments before dying.
- Cool Shades: 3D Glasses, specifically.
- The Cracker: Serial Escalation style mixed with Rule of Funny. His hacks make computers explode and place curses on the victims and he's good enough to adapt alien technology and software into warping reality. Also, he makes a program that allows Terezi to troll Doc Scratch, who doesn't even have an account. And uses a typewriter. And lives on the moon.
- Death Is Cheap: Sollux has died 3 times and his latest revival was basically him walking out of the afterlife because he didn't know he couldn't.
- Determinator: He managed to get Feferi into the game while he and the rest of Alternia were being Mind Raped to death by the cry of an Eldritch Abomination.
- Doomed Protagonist: Sollux has forseen his blindness and subsequent death since his first appearances in the comic, and his recent interaction with Aradia in the afterlife confirms that he will die.
- Subverted in that he keeps hanging around after prophesying his own death twice. On the other hand, it's possible only one of those deaths actually "counted".
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: The Mage of Doom of his session.
- Duality Motif: Being the Gemini troll, he has this in heaps. He has mismatched eyes (one red, one blue; later one black, one white), vision twofold (normal eyesight and psychic prophecy), two dreamselves (one Prospit, one Derse), bipolar mood swings, mismatched shoes, and bicolored eyewear. He dies twice and becomes a half-ghost.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Gets two: first when he withstands the Vast Glub in order to get Feferi into the medium, and again in [S] Cascade, when he strains himself to the absolute limit to psychically hurl the troll's meteor to the Green Sun. Apparently, it gained so much momentum, it keeps going even after he dies. And the guy is still alive in a sense.
- Eye Beams: Uncontrolled when he eats mind honey, but possibly under his control at other times.
- Eyeless Face: After his duel with Eridan. They aren't gone, just black, but the effect is similar. Later he gets a white one too.
- Eyepatch of Power: Currently wears one over each eye (due to blindness), their colors matching those of his old glasses.
- Fang Thpeak: Cause of that lisp mentioned in his intro.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One shoe is black, the other white. His sunglasses are mismatched too, although that's probably just to match his eyes.
- Foreshadow: The Ψiioniic died getting the Empress's ship back to Alternia and it looks like Sollux going to die getting the asteroid to the Green Sun.
- Glasses Pull: "You could almost say we need to get moving... ON THE DOUBLE. Yeah."
- Goggles Do Something Unusual:He starts wearing Feferi's goggles after he goes blind. Odd though that may seem, he's never before needed extra protection so much for that part of his face.
- Got Me Doing It: After dying and being revived as a dreamself by Feferi, he's sort of taken on Feferi's penchant for fish puns and glubbing, though not as often as her.
- Heroic Sacrifice: See Determinator, above.
- Does it again by sending the Trolls and their meteor to the Green Sun faster than the speed of light. But see Unexplained Recovery.
- And ultimately averted as he decides to stay behind at the Green Sun and move on, staying dead for real.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Very much so, as pointed out by Terezi:
GC: SORT OF TH3 W4Y YOU 4R3 4BOUT YOURS3LF
TA: what do you mean.
GC: HOW YOU G3T MOP3Y 4ND YOUR3 4LW4YS TH3 V1CT1M OF SOM3TH1NG 4ND HOW SOM3T1M3S YOU TH1NK YOU SUCK WH3N YOU R34LLY DONT
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Pretty grumpy and rude most of the time. Gets fussed at by Feferi & Aradia a lot for it, but he's not really that bad in the end, much like Karkat.
- Knight in Sour Armor: The universe is playing him for the biggest chump, he's totally aware of it, and every time he tries to get out of it Aradia's there to remind him that he can't. He only adapted the game in the first place because he was under the impression it would save the Crapsack World he lives in. He's justifiably bitter about everything that's happened and thinks that they will die no matter what. Also sets up the network for the other trolls' trolling attempts on the kids, even though he says he only did that to get everyone to stop bothering him.
- Leitmotif: The La2t Frontiier
- Mad Oracle: Bipolar Prophet
- Meaningful Name: Made a computer code that may depend on two Universes ending.
- His actual name is based on Castor and Pollux, twins in Roman/Greek mythology that were transformed into the constellation Gemini.
- Also, "Sol" and "Lux" mean "sun" and "light" in Latin.
- Mind over Matter: His psionic powers, which are apparently a natural power of his blood caste.
- Mood-Swinger: Between complete apathy and rage to rival Karkat's. Though once he loses the lisp and dying voices in his head he stabilizes.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He gave a computer code that would curse everyone he knew to the one guy most likely to execute it in a fit of blind, stupid rage.
- He adapted Sgrub after being led to believe that it would kill its players but save the world, intending to make a Heroic Sacrifice. Of course, it actually does the exact opposite.
- Nightmare Fetishist: His relationships thus far have been Aradia (loves ghosts and death) and Feferi (was raised by an Eldritch Abomination) and he's hinted to be attracted to Gamzee, of all people.
- Opt Out: Decides to do one after he returns as a half-ghost to the asteroid with the surviving trolls, Dave and Rose. He could stick around, but he's tired of the adventure and would prefer to run around with Aradia through dream bubbles.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: He can be considered this after leaving his dream bubble. Karkat calls him a "half ghost", but he's not the most reliable source.
- And when the ghost/dead half of his soul became part of Erisolsprite, the other half of his soul became fully alive (and completely blind) again.
- Prophecy Twist: For the reader. Early on, Sollux predicts he'll die twice, and that he'll go blind before he dies. At first it looks like the prophecy was fufilled with Sollux's death by the Vast Glub (where he was replaced with his Dersite Dream Self) and the death of his Propitian Dream Self by Jack Noir. Future events would then suggest that neither of those deaths actually counted. When Sollux was blinded by Eridan, several readers interpreted it as the first "death" in his prophecy and that he would be Killed Off for Real later on. While he did die from a Heroic Sacrifice, he had already left the afterlife (due to Achievements in Ignorance and Timey-Wimey Ball).
- It seems that Sollux's prophecy doesn't include Dream Self deaths or God-Tier ascensions. As such, it's hard to say if he died once or twice for the purposes of the prophecy - the Sollux that piloted the meteor to the Green Sun was technically his Dersite Dream Self.
- Psychic Powers
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Thanks to his eyes and BIPOLAR MOOD SWINGS, Sollux plays this trope by himself.
- After losing the lisp and no longer having the voices of the dead in his head, he becomes very calm and collected, essentially becoming the blue to Karkat's red.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Ditches Vriska and her crew when Tavros does, as he can't stand what they are doing. Then he leaves with both Feferi and Nepeta.
- Stealth Pun: Sollux's eyes after becoming half-dead are white and black, matching his shoes, as he has one foot in the grave.
- The Stoic: He reacts surprisingly well to getting blinded and getting his teeth knocked out.
- Superpower Meltdown: See Eye Beams, above.
- Technicolor Eyes: Alone among the trolls aside from Terezi's damaged eyes, Sollux's eyes are solid blue and red, with no pupils. Each eye can alternate between colors too. Later when Eridan injures him, they turn black and he goes blind. When his dreambubble self shows up at the Green Sun, his right eye is white and the left is still black, and he regains part of his vision.
- Uncatty Resemblance: His BICYCLOPS has one red eye and one blue eye like he does.
- Unexplained Recovery: He somehow still exists outside of the afterlife even with his real body dead (although technically that was the body of his Dersite Dream Self).
- Possibly explained by his Doom powers (which are still ambiguously unknown), and regardless, he still plans to stay at the Green Sun and move on, in essence staying dead.
- Unwitting Pawn: Gets manipulated by Aradia into making Sburb. When he finds out the truth he tries to call it off, but it's just too late.
- Western Zodiac: Gemini.
♋ Karkat Vantas ♋
" You have a passion for RIDICULOUSLY TERRIBLE ROMANTIC MOVIES AND ROMCOMS. You should really be EMBARRASSED for liking this DREADFUL CINEMA, but for some reason you are not. You like to program computers, but you are NOTORIOUSLY PRETTY AWFUL AT IT. Your programs invariably damage the machines on which they are executed, which is just as well, since you like to believe you specialize in COMPUTER VIRUSES. When you mature, you aspire to join the ranks of the most lethal members of your society, the THRESHECUTIONERS."
An ambitious, misanthropic young troll who is almost always angry at everyone, but most especially at himself.
He is the Knight of Blood
, and is the leader of the Troll Session. His trolltag is "carcinoGeneticist
He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS
with the SICKLEKIND ABSTRATUS.
He was the first troll to be introduced, both visually and over Pesterchum, and is the "main" Troll protagonist.
TYPES WITH PUNCTUATION AND ALL CAPS, ALL THE TIME, AND PAYS METICULOUS ATTENTION TO OWN SPELLING AND GRAMMAR.
ABUSES PEOPLE IN OVERLY ELABORATE WAYS, AND OCCASIONALLY USES NUBBY HORNED EMOTES D:B
LATER USES HIS OWN BLOOD COLOR WHEN TALKING TO HIMSELF THROUGH MEMOS.
(on rare occasions he has, surprisingly, been capable of whispering in lower case.)
- Adorkable: He has his moments.
- Adult Fear: He does NOT take his friends dying very well, especially Sollux.
- He's afraid of Gamzee for two reasons: Because he's going to kill his friends, and that the only way to stop this is to kill someone he considers deep down to be a best friend.
- Afraid of Blood: In large quantities. He fainted when he saw Kanaya cut off Tavros's legs.
- A God Am I: Karkat tries to give John one of these speeches. It doesn't go the way he expects.
- Anime Hair: Less so than Gamzee and Eridan, but still a good example.
- It somehow makes a right angle.
- Alien Blood: Inverted. Of all the trolls on his planet, he is the only one with human-like "candy-red" blood. This mutation actually takes him off the blood scale entirely. To avoid complications he makes his blood color a mystery and favors an anonymous gray instead.
- Berserk Button: While he tends to do acrobatic fucking pirouettes off the handle quite easily at the best of times, Karkat went absolutely ballistic when he found out John and Dave were (perhaps unintentionally) flirting with female trolls.
?TG: ahahahahah oh god
?TG: dude i cant believe you were just getting on our case about hitting on the troll girls
?TG: and then literally the very next memo you are slobbering all over jade
?TG: thats just perfect hahahaha
- Poking too much about his blood is a good way to set him off too.
- Big "NO!"/Little "No": With Karkat, it's hard to tell, but when Gamzee lost it...
CG: OH MY GOD
CG: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
- Blood Brothers: With his session's version of Jack Noir.
- Born In The Wrong Species: Vriska tells John that she thinks Karkat would have fit in better with humans instead of trolls.
- Break the Cutie: The events from when Eridan kills Feferi and Kanaya onwards have not been taken well by Karkat.
- Broken Pedestal: Possibly with Bec Noir - he recognizes Jack (assuming him to be his Jack), and looks absolutely devastated. It makes sense considering that's one of the few people that he really connected with.
- Can't Catch Up: By the time his group enters the B2 session, every single human character has become a God Tier, all the other trolls have at least some sort of noticeable special ability, and the antagonists are all either god tiers themselves or empowered by the omnipotence-granting green sun or both. Karkat is... good at shouting, and that's about it. Karkat himself complains that he and Kanaya are nearly the only characters left who can't fly.
- Cannot Spit It Out:
- Early in the story, Karkat refuses to elaborate on anything he tells John, since from his perspective he's already told everything and is sick of repeating himself. Even though telling those things at that early (late for Karkat) point would mean he wouldn't have to repeat himself. Ironically, midway through he points out that John gave him the very same treatment when he started trolling, in John's future...
- He also clearly has a problem talking about recent tragedies or emotional events. Even when people are simply worried about him and want to know what happened or is happening, he is frequently in too much pain to even let them know, let alone talk about anything in depth. Seen unable to tell past Feferi about her own future death, unable to tell past Eridan about his own future murders, at least beyond "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO THEM" and "I THOUGHT YOU LOVED HER", and unable to tell John about Vriska's death and what happened to Gamzee.
- Though at least the examples with John could be because by this point it's become clear that the trolls need the humans' help and he's afraid John will have a meltdown if he finds out Vriska's dead.
- Cassandra Truth: Winds up on the wrong end of these constantly, due to him being the only troll who bothers to keep up with events with his time-traveling memos. Takes a heartbreaking turn when he's being playfully teased by friends in the past who have presently gone insane or gotten killed.
- Clone Troll Jegus: Well, not quite, but close enough due to how Ectobiology works.
- Cooldown Hug: To sober!Gamzee.
- Contemplate Our Navels: Gets pretty introspective when he's traveling through the Furthest Ring, mostly because of meeting dead trolls and dead Alternate Timeline trolls.
- Dark Messiah: Sort of, in that it's not conscious on Karkat's part: The Sufferer's last prophecy was about his successor who will signal the end of the world.
- Deer in the Headlights: Shows this look here after reading a threatening message from a slime-sobered, ax-crazed, split-personality Gamzee.
- Demon Head: He tends to appear like this whenever he gets particularly angry at the kids. Oh jeez.
- Drama Queen: Karkat cannot enter a conversation without ranting about something.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Many of the trolls have sunken eyes in their sprite forms, but Karkat's are particularly prominent in both sprite form and in hero mode. Justified in that he's probably one of the least happy members of a generally unhappy group of people. In particular, check the link in Deer in the Headlights; notice the bags under his eyes and looking lifeless with fear.
- Establishing Character Moment: "HI AGAIN, IDIOT."
- Everyone Can See It: His "thing" with Terezi, which even the kids wind up commenting on from time to time. Sollux, Vriska, and Gamzee all seem to ship it.
- Failure Hero: Literally everything Karkat has done, he has done wrong; even his largely positive actions like calming Gamzee down have backfired horribly. It begins to weigh down on him heavily in Act 6.
- Fan Nickname: For a while before he was named, Karkat was called Carson or Carl. Now that his name is known, Karkles is fairly common. That or "Karkitty".
- Fatal Flaw: His immense self-loathing and relentless antagonism even towards people he likes hinders his ability to communicate, and probably delayed his awakening on Prospit.
- Flowery Insults: Has a knack for these.
- Foil: Primarily to John but also fits neatly with Dave, Kanaya, Jade, and almost every other character.
- Freudian Slip:
- Later, when talking to John about Jade:
CG: SHE'D BE DOING ME A MAJOR PERSONAL SOLID BY MAKING AT LEAST SOME ATTEMPT TO GET HERSELF OFF. CG: WAIT CG: FUCK CG: WHAT DID I JUST SAY
- Freudian Slippery Slope / Shipper on Deck: "was that another weird erotic slip of the tongue?"
- Foreshadowing: Vriska says Karkat would probably would have been a better human than Troll. Later it's shown that due to the oddities of his blood color, his God Tier does not have wings.
- Genre Savvy: Say what you will about Karkat, when someone tells him "Don't turn your back on the body", he listens. He also doesn't ignore the possibility that Gamzee might be hiding in the horn pile.
- Well, he looks at the body, then immediately turns his back on it to answer Gamzee.
- Guilty Pleasures: Guy loves his romcoms.
- Grotesque Cute:
GC: DONT PR3T3ND YOU D1DNT 3NJOY GO1NG 4ROUND K1LL1NG TH1NGS
GC: 4ND TH4T YOU WOULDNT 3NJOY K1LL1NG 4 WHOL3 LOT MOR3
GC: PR4NC1NG 4ROUND W1TH YOUR L1TTL3 S1CKL3 B31NG 4LL 4DOR4BL3
CG: YEAH RIGHT.
CG: MORE LIKE...
CG: I'M PRANCING AROUND BEING THAT, OK?
- Grumpy Bear: A given, being the Foil of the relentlessly optimistic John.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hate at First Sight: The first time he sees John on his computer screen, kismesis develops.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Though he sincerely likes everyone equally as well, beneath the hate. Once Eridan undergoes his Face-Heel Turn however, Karkat sincerely hates him.
- Heroic BSOD: When Sollux dies.
- Later on he sits in completely stunned silence after seeing Eridan murder Feferi and Kanaya.
- Suffers a THIRD one right after the previous when he finds out Gamzee is sober and Ax-Crazy.
- Suffers his fourth and by far most serious one yet after witnessing Gamzee mortally wounding Terezi and pushing her into the lava of LOFAF's (erupted) volcano
- Hidden Depths: The first time Karkat appeared he was a random asshole being mean to Jade. He's gone on to become the most emotionally complex character in the story.
- Hot-Blooded: Most of the time, this translates to him yelling at people more than typical heroics.
- I Hate Past Me/Future Me Pisses Me Off: Future Karkat and Past Karkat argue between each other at every opportunity, Future Karkat because Past Karkat hasn't wised up to the situation, and Past Karkat because he feels Future Karkat has gone soft. His feelings about Present Karkat aren't much better.
- He hates Past Karkat even when he's just gotten done being Past Karkat. There's at least one memo where Current Karkat is arguing with a Future Karkat; towards the end of the memo Current Karkat starts arguing with Past Karkat. Yeah, the one that was Current Karkat when he started the memo. They're literally ten minutes apart
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Says something along these lines to Terezi.
CG: I KNOW I COMPLETELY FUCKED UP WITH YOU. THIS ISN'T, UH... OK, I'M NOT LIKE TRYING TO REDEEM MYSELF HERE. I MADE MY RECUPERACOON AND NOW I HAVE TO WRIGGLE AROUND IN ITS SLIME. I TOTALLY ACCEPT THAT. BUT AS YOUR FRIEND, I REALLY DON'T WANT YOU TO START FEELING BAD ABOUT YOURSELF BECAUSE OF ONE OF THESE SHALLOW, TWO-DIMENSIONAL DIPSHITS. BUT I TOTALLY CONCEDE THAT YOU MADE YOUR CHOICE ABOUT ME, AND I RESPECT YOUR DECISION. I JUST WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY IS ALL.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: In the end, Karkat comes down to this. He's the common element in every troll's social circle and genuinely cares for all of them.
- Ironic Hell: He views the Land of Pulse and Haze as this, because of his own mutant blood color.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Brainwashed and Crazy Jane as a demonstration.
- Infamous Ancestor: Karkat's ancestor was mentioned in passing over the span of about two sentences in Mindfang's journal. Why? Well, leading a revolt on such a scale that not only did the Highbloods have to work to put it down, but then forbade any mention of both it or the Cancer symbol, public or private, may have been a factor.
- The Insomniac: He's gotten maybe one solid night's sleep over the last several months.
- Interspecies Romance: As of the beginning of the second half of Act 5, it has been revealed that he once harbored blackrom feelings for John, as well as potential redrom for Jade. At least enough that he trolled himself over it.
- It's All My Fault:
- During the first Heroic BSOD.
- Somewhat about Sollux's ~ATH curse as well.
- Jaw Drop: This panel after seeing a bunch of shocking revelations. It's become a fandom meme. His exact pose is replicated later when John throws a bucket at him.
- This is also his reaction to Kankri. Even though the sprites are different, you just know he is making that pose.
- Jerk Ass: The guy's one of the biggest jerks you'll ever see, even when he's being amicable and helping people through their emotional problems.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: ...but he is actually a relatively nice guy and he does care for his teammates and, eventually, the kids.
- Jive Turkey: With anyone else this might have been obnoxious, but with Karkat, it's just plain hilarious.
- Jumped at the Call: Because he wanted to be a leader and prove himself as somebody important.
- Large Ham: He tends to be overly dramatic when he's angry.
- Leitmotif: Crustacean, which is later remixed for his walkaround theme.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again:
- Goes a step further even than this, deciding that he has to troll John backwards through the timeline so they will never even be able to speak of their first conversation, when Karkat accidentally revealed his hatecrush.
- He also doesn't want to remember that he created all the trolls in an ectobiology lab, just like John did.
- And, yet again, he doesn't want to tell John about what he did to Gamzee, because John wouldn't understand the Blue and Orange Moirality behind it.
- Let us not forget the time when he and Sollux mutually agreed to delete an entire conversation because it was too embarrassing for either of them to handle having in their computer memory.
- Locked Out of the Loop:
- In Hivebent, none of the other trolls really care about him enough to tell him about any of this end of the world business, and again as everything falls apart at the end of their session. He just goes along with Jade's plans because there's nothing else to do. To top it off, Jade won't tell him what's going on either, as she is trying to avoid an Information-based Ontological Paradox.
- He blocks Terezi after believing she's been killed by Gamzee (he only found her glasses), and doesn't know she's going to confront Vriska until he runs into her right after she does it.
- Loving a Shadow: Inverted; Karkat watched John grow up and immediately hated him, but he never interacted with him until Sburb/Sgrub.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: ...YOUR HUMAN _____... Shared with Terezi. Dropped to a large extent later as he actually develops as a character and stops antagonizing the kids.
- Man on Fire: Seen for a brief moment in [S] Jade:Enter, before the demon engulfs Prospit and Karkat's dreamself in green fire, after he heartbreakingly recognizes Jack Noir as the demon.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: His relationship with Terezi. Admittedly, he's loud and crass, but unlike Terezi he's more emotional and prone to showing interests and emotions that are often viewed as feminine (the romcoms, his interest in relationships, etc.)
- Master of the Mixed Message: Towards Terezi. By his own admission, this is why nothing ever came of their Ship Teasing. Though being a Troll, instead of flipping between romance and indifference, he was flipping between romance and Foe Yay.
- Meaningful Name: Karkata/Karka is the equivalent sign to Cancer in Indian astrology. On top of that, Vantas is a pharmaceutical used to treat prostate cancer.
- Motor Mouth: At one point during Act 6 Intermission 1, he makes a point of shutting up when told to. A page later he gasps for air because he apparently wasn't aware that you don't have to hold your breath not to talk.
KARKAT: LOOK I'M JUST A LITTLE OUT OF PRACTICE AT STAYING QUIET FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME, OK?
TEREZI: H3 R34LLY 1S >:|
- The Movie Buff: as part of his Foil nature to John - although Karkat specialises in Troll Romantic Comedies, making him an expert at deciphering issues of Troll Romance.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- Apparently he always apologizes profusely and asks if they're still friends whenever he blows up at Sollux. Which is often.
- And then a serious use when he runs Sollux's code, and again when Sollux dies.
- Later, he realizes that his hurry to beat the Black King instead of find the penultimate frog led to the Cancer in John's universe and all the post-game problems in his.
- The Napoleon: His overweening ambition, short temper, and nubby little horns qualify him as a Napoleon. His overcompensation is about his position as a hemospectrum outcast and not height, though the principle is the same.
- Narcissist: Inverted. Karkat practically is his own kismesis with his future & past selves, whom he loathes intensely, something that unsettles him when he thinks about it and provides fodder for mockery by Terezi and others.
- Never My Fault: Zig-zagged. Karkat is less likely to accept responsibility for his actions and more likely to blame his past or future selves. Even though they're him. But when REALLY bad things happen, he blames himself for it if he had even the slightest involvement in it.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- He executes Sollux's code. You know, the one that curses everyone the user knows. The result is not pretty. However he really didn't have a choice in it; Aradia went back and corrected the timeline so he had to. If she hadn't Gamzee would have gone crazy much earlier and killed all the Trolls.
- His haste in beating the game without properly understanding the frog breeding process gave the kids' entire universe cancer.
- No Indoor Voice: Almost all of his dialogue is written in all caps, and the narration implies that it's shouted.
- Not Now, Kiddo: HEY ASSHOLE. STOP PLAYING GAMES FOR GIRLS.
- Only Sane Man: Plays this role to the rest of the trolls; compared to all the others, he really is shockingly normal, he comments on this, specifying that the only troll in the group who is more sane tends to be Kanaya.
- Pet the Dog:
- Platonic Life Partners: With Kanaya, whom he even calls his "other best friend" (Gamzee being the first) at one point.
- Please Wake Up:
- The Power of Blood:
- He befriends (pre-Spades Slick) Jack after he finds out they have the same blood color.
- The only person we know Karkat tried to kiss back to life is Kanaya. It couldn't work due to her dead dream self, but she awoke as a troll vampire anyway.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Has a fascination with romantic comedies.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gave a particularly excellent one to Vriska. And a smaller one to himself.
- Red Herring: Disregard that crying Karkat seemingly about to get murdered by Gamzee, they're both okay. Seems to have been an alternate timeline at the moment.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With John. To put it in perspective: John's battle theme is titled "Showtime", whereas Karkat's is "Showdown". Also literal in that Karkat's "theme" color is red, while John's is blue.
- The Resenter:
- Towards John, to the point where he develops a crush on him. Kismesis crush anyways. Eventually, he becomes friends with John. He ends up resenting his past self as well, unable to believe the way he acted mere hours ago.
- He is not fond of Dave either, thanks to complicating his relationship with Terezi, although that seems to have changed as of recent updates, with Karkat going so far as to call Dave his bro.
- Revealing Injury: His blood color was revealed when Jack stabbed him - but only to Jack (who didn't particularly care) and the readers, as most of the other trolls still aren't aware of his blood color at that time.
- Sanity Ball: He pretty much has the ball any time he's not going ballistic, such as when he points out Jade's hypocrisy in going apeshit on Jadesprite after the conversation she had with Past and Future Karkats simultaneously.
- Sanity Slippage: Over time, due to a combination of insomnia and mortal terror of Gamzee.
- Screw Yourself: A running theme (and possible fetish), see Freudian Slip. There's also this:
GG (chiding past-Karkat for deliberately misremembering her password, which was) IF I HATE MYSELF SO MUCH, THEN WHY DON'T I HATEMARRY MYSELF?
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness / Sophisticated as Hell: Can occasionally lapse into this while swearing.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships John/Rose and Dave/Jade here.
- Actually closer to the opposite, as he only 'ships' that because he think Interspecies Romance would be gross.
- That's what he says, anyway. The memo in question presents about five reasons why he might be doing what he's doing, and none of them are any more or less likely than the others. Troll mentality sure is weird!
- This turns out to be foreshadowing: Jack kills Rose and Dave, so John and Jade have to revive-kiss them.
- He also ships Jade/Jadesprite (at least mentally) here
- Ship Tease:
- With Terezi most of all. They've dated in canon, although the current state of their relationship is nebulous, cycling between redrom, blackrom, and disinterest.
- He's also had some Ship Tease with Jade (matespritship mostly), Gamzee (moiraillegience, which was eventually confirmed), and Dave (kismesisitude), Meenah (uncertain) and it's subverted with John; ever since he confessed his hate for John, they've pretty much had no Ship Tease and have instead become friends.
- Team Mom: In spite of his permanent irascibility, he really does look out for the rest of the team, and counsels them in romance issues thanks to his familiarity with trollish romance films. The sign of Cancer is associated with motherhood.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: Vriska is theoretically able to control him, but never does so because she finds his hate-filled mind too offensive to dip into for more than a moment.
- Together in Death: With Terezi. In an alternate timeline. Twice.
- In a dreambubble, a dead God-Tier Karkat and dead Dream Nepeta were together.
- Trauma Conga Line:
- Started with him witnessing Eridan kill Feferi, Kanaya, and the matriorb, and continued on from there. Now that he's regrouped with Terezi, Kanaya and Sollux, and now that Vriska and Eridan are dead and Gamzee is somehow neutralised, it looks like it might have finally let up.
- It seems to have started up again during the 3 year journey, as Terezi has finally lost her patience with him and he is left with only himself to argue with.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While 'kindness' would definitely be stretching it for Karkat, he's certainly less hostile and more willing to work with people progressively after Hivebent.
- Tsundere: His tsuntsun obviously dominates, but beneath all that swearing he seems to have a genuine soft side.
gallowsCalibrator [GC] ceased trolling carcinoGeneticist [CG]
carcinoGeneticist [CG] ceased trolling gallowsCalibrator [GC]
carcinoGeneticist [CG] began trolling gallowsCalibrator [GC]
carcinoGeneticist [CG] ceased trolling gallowsCalibrator [GC]
- The Unreveal: Immediately after his dreamself's death at Jack's hands, Karkat entered a dreambubble. We have yet to ever see this.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Terezi with a mix of Belligerent Sexual Tension.
- Vitriolic Best Buds:
- With Sollux. He's vitriolic with a lot of his other friends too, like Gamzee and Nepeta, but they usually aren't angry back at him.
- In Interspecies matters, he and John seem to have developed into this. Particularly since Karkat once saw John as a Kismesis.
- In these two conversations he basically admits that all the trolls are his best (hate)friends and he loved his lusus.
CG: JUST CLAM YOUR SHIT UP AND FORGET YOUR STUPID GUARDIAN, LIKE I DID WITH MY DEAR CRAB MONSTER CUSTODIAN, WHO I ADORED IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER.
- As of A 6 I 5, he considers Dave one of the last people he's close to. Doesn't stop exchanges like this;
Dave: no dude thats not what gift of gab does
Karkat: OK WHAT DOES IT DO THEN WISE GUY!
Dave: its utility isnt really comprehensible to lowly mortals sorry
Karkat: YOU SNIDE CHUTE HUFFER. WHY DON'T YOU COME UP HERE SO I CAN PUSH YOU OFF THIS BUILDING?
- Warrior Therapist: The other Trolls come to him for relationship advice. It works in just about every single instance too, which is odd since everything he knows is from his love of romantic comedies.
- Western Zodiac: Cancer.
- When He Smiles: Karkat spends almost the entire comic looking either angry or afraid. But when he gives Gamzee a Cooldown Hug to halt his murderous rampage, he's shown making a genuine smile of relief that's actually pretty adorable.
- White Knighting: He flames his own past self for being rude to Jade. Jade is unimpressed.
?GG: if you want to apologize then great i am all ears! but just mentioning it off hand and then yelling at yourself the same way you yell at me all the time as if i need a knight to come save me from yourself is so lame, not to mention completely insane
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Compliments the aforementioned Jaw Drop.
- Which Me?: Uses "past me" and "future me" to refer to those selves.
- You Can't Fight Fate:
- Karkat tries to warn the past trolls about horrible things that will happen in the future. They don't believe him, even when a future Gamzee shows up and offers false reassurance.
- His realization that this is the case is the reason the trolls focus on, well, trolling the kids, rather than making a serious effort to prevent everything from going badly. (Though he does ask Jade if there's any way he can convince her not to send the package to John, which was a key event in the chain that caused both sessions to ultimately go to hell.)
- Karkat is bothered by this when he travels through the dream bubbles and meets deceased Alternate Timeline trolls who went God Tier.
CCG: BUT IN SPITE OF BEING *MORE* SUCCESSFUL THAN WE WERE, BY THAT PARTICULAR OBJECTIVE MEASURE
CCG: THEY GET PUNISHED FOR THAT, BECAUSE IT WASN'T "THE THING THAT NEEDED TO HAPPEN"??
> Go Back > Return to main page