Characters: Homestuck Trolls Three
Elsewhere in paradox space, we examine another planet, forgotten by time. But we will strive to remember. What was this planet's name?
Long before the formation of planet Earth, there was a world called Alternia. Alternia was a world ruled by the trolls
, a species who, at least externally
, look like humans
with grey skin
, yellow eyes
, and striped horns
. The trolls, too, have found Sburb (or rather, Sgrub), and over the course of the adventure we meet twelve troll children who play it together, split into two sessions of six. However, sometime during the course of their quest, something goes very wrong
, and they begin a campaign of petty internet harassment
against the kids, who they blame for the incident. Despite their monstrous looks, sinister screennames
, and character profiles composed of mixes and inversions of traits from one or more of the kids
, the trolls mostly aren't that bad
; they were introduced properly in their own sub-adventure arc in Act 5 Act 1, also known as Hivebent, before essentially becoming part of the main cast on par with the kids in Act 5 Act 2.
open/close all folders
♐ Equius Zahhak ♐
You love being STRONG. You are so strong, you would surely be the class of the elite legion of RUFFIANNIHILATORS. And while such a calling would be quite honorable, you would prefer to join the ranks of the ARCHERADICATORS, perhaps the most noble echelon the imperial forces have to offer. Unfortunately, you SUCK AT ARCHERY. You have not successfully fired a SINGLE ARROW. Every time you try, you BREAK THE BOW. You are simply too strong. You have broken so many bows, it has developed into a habit BORDERING ON FETISHISTIC. You have to stop. But addiction is a powerful thing.
A traditionalist troll who staunchly believes in upholding the noble customs and beliefs attributed to his blood colour
In Sburb, he is the Heir of Void
. His Trolltag is "centaursTesticle
He has filed three STRIFE SPECIBI
in his STRIFE PORTFOLIO: FISTKIND ABSTRATUS
, BOWKIND ABSTRATUS and 1/2BOWKIND ABSTRATUS
D —> Types by beginning his lines with a bow and arrow, replaces "X" and similar-sounding consonant
combinations with the % sign, "loo" and "ool" with "100" and "001", uses horse puns when ser100sly agitated,
and leaves his sentences unpun%uated
- Archer Archetype: In keeping with the Sagittarius theme, considers the bow a dignified weapon of the upper classes. He even begins every line with a symbolic bow and arrow: D —>. He's actually terrible at archery, though, to the point where he's never successfully fired an arrow.
- Antiquated Linguistics/Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: He sometimes types like this.
- Back from the Dead: As Equiusprite. And after Dirk tosses his Auto-Responder into the mix, Arquiusprite.
- Badass: His hobbies include programming robots and TEARING THEM APART WITH HIS BARE HANDS.
- JUMPED INTO HIS GATE. PUNCHED AN OGRE'S HEAD OFF. YEAH HE'S BADASS.
- This exchange.
TG: how the fuck do you even wield a broken bow
TG: did you go around clubbing shit with the two halves
CT: D —> Yes
CT: D —> Sometimes
- Battle Couple: With Aradia for a while; later, with Nepeta, although in a different quadrant.
- Big Brother Instinct: His protectiveness of Nepeta.
- The Big Guy: Whoa.
- Blessed with Suck: He's incredibly strong, to the point where he can decapitate an ogre with a single punch. He also cannot control this strength, so a "gentle", appreciative pat bruises his lusus (which itself was picked for its own strength), he cannot handle a bow without snapping it in half, and the only person he can hold an intimate relationship with has a robot body that he built himself.
- Blue Blood: Figuratively and literally (indigo, to be precise). He looks down on those from the lower classes.
- Combat Medic: He's frighteningly STRONG, but at the same time, he's kept the more unlucky trolls patched up with robot prosthetics, including Vriska's arm, Tavros' legs, and Aradia's soulbot.
- The Comically Serious:
CT: D —> Humorous insincerity is for pedantic wigglers
- Cultured Warrior: He collects fine art (or at least what he considers to be fine art), has an appreciation for nature, and displays a penchant for slam poetry. If you piss him off, however, he will literally punch your head off. He also objects to 100d language, leading to Goshdang It To Heck.
- Death by Irony: He wants so badly to be an archer, but he always breaks the bows. So naturally Ax-Crazy Gamzee brings him to his knees with an arrow, then kills him with a broken bow.
- A Death in the Limelight
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: He's terrible at archery due to always breaking the bows and he bruises his lusus (one of the strongest creatures on the planet) when trying to give him "a grateful pat, as gently as possible" for bringing him a glass of milk. Also, he can't drink without breaking the glass.
- Erotic Asphyxiation: He starts grinning as he's being strangled to death by Gamzee. He's always had "bloodshot bags" under his eyes (petechia, for those who love Forensic Dramas), which is probably a hint he doesn't mind his killbots going for the neck.
- Mr. Fanservice: Memetically, thanks to fan association with Nicholas Cage. However, in-universe, he's mostly seen as an intensely creepy pervert by everyone but Nepeta and possibly Aradia.
- Even Perverts Have Standards: Equius, with all his weird fetishes, still feels uncomfortable with how Eridan hits on him.
- Fetish: Equius gets off on being ordered around and chastised by highbloods. And from getting strangled by highbloods. And by what he considers "depravity" (subversion of the caste hierarchy, such is lowbloods being disobedient or holding authority over highbloods, lowbloods acting dignified and highbloods acting undignified).
- Fingerless Gloves: He wears a pair.
- Furry Fandom: His "art" collection.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He likes building robots, usually just to destroy them, but he made some prosthetic legs that he let Tavros keep, as well as Vriska's mechanical arm, and a robot body for Aradia.
- Genius Bruiser: He builds strong and sturdy killer robots, and beats the shit out of them in caged brawls.
- A Glass in the Hand: Happens every time he picks up any glass because he is so STRONG.
- Gonk: Has mouthful of broken teeth, blue circles under his eyes that are often visible even underneath his sunglasses, frequently sweats profusely and in the Alterniabound segments his hair is particularly stringy-looking. Needless to say he's probably the least attractive of the trolls.
- Goshdang It To Heck: CT: D —> Fudgesicles
- Got Me Doing It: He makes horse puns when flustered, much like Nepeta does with cats. Take both of them roleplaying as each other while flustered and you have quite a sight.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: And he's a bit grudging about it, given his preference for archery. But When All You Have Is a Hammer...
- Go Out with a Smile: Played for both laughs and Squick at the same time, like everything about Equius.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets mad pretty easily, which is why he builds robots. He needs something to take his anger out on. Note that venting his rage at his robots seems to work; we never actually see him get seriously angry at anyone else—we only see him venting at inanimate objects.
- Hidden Depths: He is, of all things, a pretty good rapper. He even wins a rap battle with Dave (though Dave wasn't taking it super seriously). There's also his moirallegiance with Nepeta and his hobby of making robots. Plus, despite being glaringly obviously neurotic and having serious fetish issues, he actually turns out to be one of the most stable trolls — he has one of the few actually healthy and stable relationships in the entire series, and (aside from his death and his inappropriate decision to build Aradia's robot body with an attraction to himself) he manages to keep all his various issues in check enough to remain functional even when everyone else is going batshit. He even recognizes that he probably won't be able to make himself kill Gamzee, and tries to make sure Nepeta is safe first.
- Honor Before Reason/Internalized Classism/Love Martyr: Even though he wants to stop Gamzee and save his friends, and he's STRONG enough to easily snap the bowstring with his neck muscles, doesn't even try to resist when Gamzee strangles him to death because of his STRONG belief in highb100d supremacy.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Nepeta.
- In a Single Bound: STRONGJUMP!
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: He may be a racist asshole, but it's hard to really hate him when his obscene strength prevents him from doing pretty much anything. Plus he's still racist in situations where it doesn't benefit him or even goes against his interests. And he does question it sometimes, and it's almost more like a fetish for him.
- Jerkass: First-class, at first. He's a genuinely nice person though, although he buys into racism a bit much
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As much as he looks down on the lower classes, he readily provides robotic prosthetics to the crippled Vriska and Tavros, and looks after Nepeta as best he can.
- Joke Character: Word of God himself confirms this. Introduced with his "Fine Art" and died as a Senseless Sacrifice.
- Killed Off for Real: Godspeed, you lovable deviant bastard.
- Knee Capping: Gamzee forces him to kneel by shooting him in the knee with an arrow.
- Leitmotif: Horschestra
- Looks Like He Is Enjoying It: Rare example that it is without sound, but still apparent.
- Macho Camp: The author has associated him with incredibly eroticized masculine imagery since his first full appearance, mostly for comedic purposes or to deliberately Squick out fans. Of course, he's bi like all trolls.
- Mad Scientist: A mostly-heroic version.
- Made of Iron: Implied as a Required Secondary Power for his Super Strength, but made more explicit in these pages, where he STRONGFALLS a significant distance and suffers no noticeable injury. So naturally he's strangled to death like the Hercules' Nemean Lion.
- Meaningful Name:
- Equus is Latin for horse.
- Zahhak is a villain in Iranian folklore, who has an older name that means "[he who has] 10,000 horses".
- He's also known as "Aži Dahāka" in more ancient folklore, a name derived from the Avestan word for "serpent," which would roughly translate his full name to "Horse Serpent." Think on that for a moment.
- He's the Heir of Void, now devoid of air.
- Morality Pet: Shortly before going off to get killed, he tells Nepeta that she's the only reason he didn't become a murderer like most of the other highbloods.
- My Greatest Failure: Letting Nepeta die. When they meet again after being revived as sprites, he's horribly ashamed, which is made worse by him being merged with Lil Hal, who's never had to deal with emotions like that and promptly freaks out.
- Mythology Gag/Creator In-Joke: More than any other character in Homestuck, Equius is a reference to Hussie's older work, like his satirical blog post on the paintings that would later became Equius's "fine art" or his death being a Whole Plot Reference to Whistles.
"He was always the troll personification of everything like Humanimals I ever did and put on the internet. [...] I used to do all sorts of weird stuff, reviewing obscene furry pornography, making weird collages involving horses, and just a whole lot of bizarre shit that didn't make much sense, but I thought was funny. The whole span of these endeavors was quite trollish in nature[...] The fact that it puts some people off is part of what makes it funny. So Equius was that entire arena of trollish content, rolled into a character."
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: He's very upset that Aradia only said goodbye to Sollux before she exploded, hence why he makes it a point to say goodbye to Nepeta before confronting Gamzee.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant/Covert Pervert: "It would always make everyone uncomfortable when he just stood there. And watched."
- Noble Bigot: Towards both Lower Castes and Seadwellers.
- Overprotective Dad: He seems to have something similar going on with Nepeta. Most notably, he doesn't want her to talk to the "lower-class" trolls (based on blood color, of all things), and she feels the need to ask his permission before playing Sgrub.
- As she points out, though, he has some reason to be concerned, given that the usual "games" among lower-blooded trolls involved Vriska murdering them in vast numbers.
- Pet the Dog:
CT: D —> You e%terminate beautiful, innocent creatures by the hundreds
CT: D —> I can't condone such wretched behavior
CT: D —> Beasts are meant to be 100ked upon with adoration
- Platonic Life Partners: With Nepeta. It's actually the only moirallegiance which works perfectly fine.
- Possession Implies Mastery: Averted with bowkind, played straight with fistkind and ˝bowkind (because his freakish strength makes him good at breaking bows (and killing things with broken bows).
- Power of the Void: Equius' mythological role is the Heir of Void, which may or may not have this trope in effect. Darkleer, his ancestor, was naturally surrounded by a void in Doc Scratch's awareness—a Psychic Block Defense against scrying and omniscience. UU mentions in Act 6 that Void powers are about the destruction or obfuscation of knowledge, but how it manifests in an Heir is unknown.
- This isn't so much an extension of his power but rather an ironic subversion, but UU's book that contains Rose's description of what happened in the kids' session was censored by Gamzee with Equius' blood used as ink.
- Precision F-Strike: Equius considers swearing beneath him, but that doesn't stop him from dropping an F-Bomb when he realizes that Aradia, who is at the very bottom of the blood hierarchy, has authority over him as his server player.
- Pungeon Master: Starts making horse puns by the dozens when flustered.
- Pure Is Not Good: He doesn't condone foul language (such as "what the hell") or the killing of animals and refuses to pollute his body with "sugary beverages and soporific to%ins". It doesn't stop him from being a Jerk Ass and elitist bigot, though.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His Sinister Shades have this appearance in the dark.
- Ship Tease: With Nepeta, although this turned out to be more of Like Brother and Sister.
- Sinister Shades: Broken ones, at that, because he is too strong to ever put them on without breaking them
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: And a wimp he is not.
- Sunglasses at Night: Out of style apparently. And they fall off when he dies.
- Super Strength: He can't fire arrows because he always breaks the bows, and he's capable of destroying robots with his bare hands.
- Testosterone Poisoning: He loves being STRONG, Does Not Know His Own Strength, wears a muscle-exposing tanktop and unleashes his aggression by beating the shit out of killer robots. Later kicked up to eleven when he merges with Lil Hal. The resulting Arquius spends most of his pagetime encouraging people to touch his muscles.
- Theme Naming: Equius's Zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
- Those Two Guys: With Nepeta
- Too Kinky to Torture: Getting strangled by a highblood gives him a big smile on his face when he dies.
- Toothy Issue: Some of his teeth have been knocked out in his fights with his robots. (Luckily, they usually grow back.)
- Unfortunate Names: Albeit one he picked himself, for obvious reasons.
- Undignified Death: Why on earth is he smiling as he is strangled to death?!
- On the other hand, Hussie maintains that Equius "died a death of supreme integrity." Which is true—he remained loyal to his ideals of highblood supremacy and extreme squickiness even as he died.
- "He died as he lived: Sweaty and inappropriately turned on."
- Unstoppable Rage: The only safe outlet for his anger is beating up robots inside a steel cage.
- Western Zodiac: Sagittarius.
- The Worf Effect: Equius finds Sgrub to be a somewhat effortless affair thanks to how incredibly strong he is naturally. Gamzee manages to dominate him completely and utterly through several means, to show us just how dangerous he is now.
♑ Gamzee Makara ♑
A rather spacy troll, perpetually high on sopor slime, who holds a deep and spiritual awe for all life's miracles, great and small.
In Sburb, he is the Bard of Rage
. His trolltag is "terminallyCapricious
He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS
with the CLUBKIND ABSTRATUS
, and later the JOKERKIND ABSTRATUS
TyPeS wItH aLtErNaTiNg UpPeR aNd LoWeR cAsE lEtTeRs AnD pUnCtUaTiOn, AnD pEpPeRs HiS sPeEcH wItH mOtHeRfUcKiN oDd
PrEpOsItIoNaL cOnStRuCtS aLl Up On OvEr. He AlSo LiKeS tO uSe SmIlIeS wItH cLoWn NoSeS. hOnK hOnK! :o).
after sobering up and DECLARING HIMSELF SUBJUGGLATOR he types alternating lines of text WITH ALL CAPS AND LOWERCASE,
WHICH IS INTERPRETED as his two personalities who are both evil ALTERNATELY YELLING AND WHISPERING
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: Acts as one by the time he meets Jane, trying to push her to buy "potions" that suspiciously bear the same (blood) colors and promised traits as the dead trolls. Answer however you want, But Thou Must buy them from him.
- Anime Hair: Most ridiculous hair style of the trolls, and pretty much any character in the comic.
- And I Must Scream: As Aranea's loyal servant:
ARANEA: You will not ever 8e speaking again. No. Never, never, never again. Never.
- A Love to Dismember: He was romantically interested in Tavros and dismembers his corpse, sporadically kissing his severed head and saving the body for over three years.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Averted. His particular blood caste essentially was Ax-Crazy, and his Mirthful Messiahs canonically are essentially the Devil and Grim Reaper equivalents in Alternian culture, but Gamzee himself is pretty okay when he can control his insanity.
- Ambiguously Evil: After the Scratch, it wasn't entirely clear if he's still working for Lord English or if he was just being weird. Act 6 Intermission 4 seems to confirm that he is, in fact, working for him.
- Anti-Villain/Enigmatic Minion: On one hand, he created a self-loathing Tavros/Vriska Body Horror hybrid for no reason, conspires with his even more insane dancestor, and serves as a guide for Caliborn. On the other hand, he still values his relationships with Karkat and Terezi, offered to be a guide for Jane, and created a stable hybrid of Sollux and Eridan to assist Jake with, a stable hybrid of Nepeta and Feferi to assist Roxy with, and prototyped Equuis to assist Dirk with. What he's playing at is anyone's guess.
- Act 6 Act 5 Act 2 reveals that he's been under the mind control of Aranea for quite some time, which would explain some of his actions.
- Ascended Extra: His solo appearances that weren't as part of the Cast Herd prior to going crazy can be counted on your hands.
- Ax-Crazy: His Face-Heel Turn in Act 5 Act 2 single-handedly turned the trolls' asteroid into a slasher flick. He got better before the end of the act, though he's still pretty nuts.
- Badass: Once he goes Ax-Crazy, he becomes incredibly lethal.
- Berserk Button: The "Miracles" music video by Insane Clown Posse, which he describes as BlAsPhEmY is what sets off his plunge into insanity.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Prior to his Face-Heel Turn, Gamzee was easily the most laid back member of his session, but also dealt the most damage out of his entire party during the final battle against the Black King. In a single blow.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Hell. Yes.
- Bigger Bad: While Gamzee is far from the biggest threat or most pressing evil in the story, he was directly responsible for introducing the Cherub race to Sburb, resulting in the creation of Lord English. Then again, Lord English, like Jack Noir earlier, was already there.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Terrifyingly so, between his stoned persona and the polite half of his sober persona.
- Blood Lust: Inherited from his ancestor.
- Blood from the Mouth: An absolute torrent after being shot and brutally beaten by Caliborn. Who got told off for it with elevator music.
You made this dear, sweet, pseudo-innocent juggalo vomit liter after thick, glutinous liter of nasty purple blood.
- Blue Blood: Actually purple blood, but has the same implications, as he's the highest on the hemospectrum aside from the nautical royality. Averted in that he's pretty chill for a hereditary aristocrat.
- Played straight later on when he accepts his role as the heir to the Subjugglators, a line of trolls meant to subjugate the rest of the troll race, and starts calling people peasants and commanding them to kneel before him.
- Blue Oni: To Karkat and Caliborn's Red Oni.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: It's shown that Lil' Cal has had an influence on him, and it's also implied that the godforsaken thing was crucial to making him want to kill his friends.
- Break the Cutie: Averted. His descent into insanity was shown to be incredibly emotional for Karkat, but Gamzee himself really enjoys it.
- Butt Monkey: Caliborn really likes pumping his guts full of lead, along with whacking him right upside the head.
- Catch Phrase: mOtHeRfUcKiNg MiRaClEs. mOtHeRfUcKeR in general is pretty commonly used by him.
- The Chessmaster: He's capable of some shenanigans once he goes insane, and helped manipulate Vriska's death. He currently is manipulating Jane in ways that have yet to be explained.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Vast Honk prophesied by his religion turns out to be the summoning of Lord English, the counterpart to the Vast Croak.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Drops swears incredibly often (mainly "Motherfucker", and any derivative of it).
- Confusion Fu: His Jokerkind Strife Deck gives him access to any weapon he carries, so he's pretty unpredictable, though he never uses a weapon twice. Nobody is quite sure what he did to The Black King that messed him up so badly either.
- Cool Bike: A rocket unicycle. He never uses it but it does exist.
- Cooldown Shoosh-Pap: Gets a very comforting one from Karkat. As moirails, Karkat continues to be a stabilizing influence on Gamzee.
- Cute and Psycho: His quiet personality, the one that speaks in lowercase, is cheerful and polite, but is still equally as psychotic as the loud personality.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Which is what makes him an especially good Chessmaster.
- Determinator: He just. Won't. Die.
- Dissonant Serenity: His usual personality. He's pretty chill with the fact that Sollux died. When he's talking in lower case, he's pretty much chill with everything including his desire to murder everyone he knows.
- It comes back full force in Act 6, where he keeps smiling after being brutalized by Caliborn and stabbed by Terezi - and it's absolutely clear that he's in excruciating pain, but can't show it, especially in the latter's case.
- The Dragon: For Caliborn. He's also Aranea's Dragon at some points, but it certainly isn't willingly.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Gamzee was unceremoniously murdered over the course of four flash sequences. Or he would've been, if he wasn't still alive.
- Easily Forgiven: At least by Karkat. Kanaya still wanted to murder him for a long time after that.
- Erudite Stoner: Though he zones out from time to time, he's fairly smart at understanding exactly what to say to his pals.
- Evil Costume Switch: Or at least, typing style switch. When sober, He GoEs FrOm TyPiNg LiKe ThIs to alternating between all lowercase... THEN GOING ALL MOTHERFUCKIN CAPS KARKAT STYLE.
- After his Face-Heel Turn, he remains scarred from his self inflicted injury from Nepeta's claws.
- And then finally an actual costume change, into the Bard of Rage God Tier robes, which include a preposterous codpiece.
- Eye Take: Shared with Vriska in surprise to... someone walking.
- Face Framed in Shadow: In the two parts of Openbound that he appears in, his actual face can't be seen. His blood's visible, though.
- Face Heel Revolving Door: Gamzee has gone crazy, become sane again, and currently seems to be crazy again. He's also been suggested to be working with Doc Scratch and Lord English, and is very fond of Cal.
- His codpiece outfit that he's been seen wearing in Act 6 was given to him by Kurloz Makara, who explicitly stated that both of them were in service to Lord English.
- Faith Heel Turn: Seen here (although it did occur earlier in the story).
- Partially Inverted in Act 6. He returns to believing in his faith, but he's working for the Big Bad in order to bring about its prophesied promised land.
- Fan Nickname: Gamzee's God Tier Bard of Rage outfit has been referred to as "Cod Tier", after it's notable codpiece.
- Flash Step: Rivals Dirk in this regard.
- Friendly Enemy:
TC: bUt NoW wE kInD oF sEtTlEd DoWn AnD mE aNd ThE iMpS aRe ShArInG sOmE pIe
TC: tHeSe MoThErFuCkErS aRe PrEtTy DoPe AcTuAlLy, I lIkE tHeM.
- As it turns out, he's also in a caliginous relationship with Terezi.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: By halfway through Act 6, he's managed to drive away everyone on the meteor except Terezi, even his former best friend. The closest thing that he has to a buddy now is Caliborn, who actively hates his guts, and even Terezi wants to dump him, though she can't quite manage to do it.
- Freak Out: After he watches the "Miracles" music video, he finds it blasphemous and goes completely insane.
- Fluffy the Terrible: "Gamzee" is a real-world Turkish name that means "Dimple".
- From Nobody to Nightmare: From Joke Character to Hero Killer over the course of a few hundred panels.
- Gag Penis: His cod piece is rather large; however it serves primarily as a Mythology Gag to Bard Quest, as it's not even known if Trolls have penises.
- If Kurloz's mission is of any indication, it's part of something more sinister. No, really.
- A God Am I: Claims to be both of the Mirthful Messiahs when on his rampage. Many fans take this as evidence of a Split Personality.
- God Never Said That: Popular Fanon holds that Gamzee went crazy in part because of Parental Abandonment from his lusus and finding Tavros's corpse. Neither of these things were shown in canon. Hussie attempted to Joss the former by showing the wild seagoat on Jake's island to be a monstrous animal intent on chasing and eating Jake, while Gamzee was shown to be crazy before he possibly could have found Tavros's corpse.
- Good Parent: Surprisingly, he actually takes fairly good care of both Calliope and Caliborn.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Evil and self inflicted.
- Groin Attack: The victim of one.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: While he's sober and trying to help Jane, he skirts around on this line. Namely, he calmly throws the corpses of Tavros and Vriska into Jane's Sprite in order to help her out. While she screams her lungs out.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Initially with just about everyone. When he goes crazy, it's subverted, as the only thing he wants to do with them is make fingerpaintings out of their blood.
- Subverted between him and Tavros as shown in this update. Gamzee has a crush on him but Tavros did not reciprocate. Eventually turned into Yandere on Gamzee's part, as he's seen kissing Tavros's severed head while crazy.
- And then ultimately Double Subverted, as the power of moiraillegiance partially reintegrates his two personalities and makes him sane-ish again.
- Honk Before Beating: Something of a specialty.
- I Ate What?: Likes to sneak tastes of SOPOR SLIME PIE, which shouldn't be eaten by trolls.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Lampshaded by Jane when she see his "Cod Tier" outfit, which includes a polka dot, peaked, clown hat/hood and the ostentatious codpiece from Bard Quest.
- In the Blood: While crazy, he follows the path of the Subjuggulators like the Grand Highblood more closely.
- Inventory Management Puzzle: He doesn't understand how it works, nor does he care to learn. He just captchalogues stuff to watch the lights. He deserves points for being the first character to use the most obvious solution for such an abstract modus.
- Irony: Unlike the rest of the trolls his personality is the polar opposite of his zodiac sign - Capricorns are supposed to be greedy, antisocial, and ambitious while Gamzee is a Friend to All Living Things Love Freak Defector from Decadence - when drunk on sopor slime. When sober, it's straight as can be.
- Joke Character: Started out as one before his Freak Out.
- Joker Immunity: Every Troll has at least one dead doomed timeline version of themself. Not for Gamzee.
- He also apparently literally has this, as he cannot die because he is a "rascally clown".
- Juggalo: The troll analogue/parody of one. Dirk lampshades this by finding the idea of an alien Juggalo ridiculous.
- Kick the Dog: He kills Nepeta and Equius pretty much For the Evulz. He does it again when he makes fun of Terezi's blindness in their hate-relationship, causing her to get her eyes healed out of bitterness.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Caliborn's initial treatment of Gamzee is meant to showcase just how much of a Jerkass he is, though it's undercut somewhat since Gamzee kind of had it coming for screwing some of his friends over.
- Kill 'em All/Together in Death/Murder Is the Best Solution: Apparently the main tenet of the Subjugglator cult's theology.
TC: I PeEpEd oN A PlAcE Of 6 tRiLlIoN HeMoS
TC: AlL Up aT OnE RoCk, BlEeDiNg aS EqUaLs
TC: It's eAsY To sEe iF YoU SeArCh aLl yOuR FeElInS
TC: ThAt pEaCe hApPeNs fIrSt, AnD MuRdEr's tHe sEqUeL
- Kneel Before Zod: His request to Equius before killing him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He kills a troll nicknamed "centaursTesticle," then Kanaya appears, and nut shots him!
- Leitmotif: mIrAcLeS and later Blackest Heart.
- Even just honking in general is very associated with Gamzee.
- Lightning Bruiser: Master of Flash Step and capable of catching a pouncing Nepeta out of midair with one hand.
- Love Freak: His obsession with recognizing miracles within the universe makes him one.
- Mad Artist: Like his ancestor.
TC: I AM GOING TO MOTHERFUCKING KILL ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.
TC: and paint the wicked pictures with your motherfuckin blood.
- Made of Iron/Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: Getting filled with bullets doesn't kill him and he has never died in any timeline. The Narration says he's God Tier but Caliborn doesn't buy it and believes he's a fake.
- For what it's worth, he doesn't act like the other God Tiers. Normally when they die a death that isn't either Just or Heroic their corpse disappears after a while any then they reappear, perfectly fine. Gamzee is still clearly bleeding profusely when he shows up at the tower, so it's not that he died and it didn't "take", he's just still alive somehow.
- Mad Love: For Caliborn. He gave up everything and everyone else in his life (except his blackrom with Terezi) to serve him. Caliborn greeted him by pumping his torso full of hot lead in a sincere attempt to kill him. Repeatedly. Even after Hussie got him to stop by hanging the threat of playing Elevatorstuck forever over his head, Caliborn still treats Gamzee like crap when he deigns to acknowledge his existence at all.
- Madness Mantra: honk HONK honk HOOOOOOOOOONK.
- Meaningful Name: Makara is the Indian equivalent of Capricorn.
- Makara means blessed. He is a self proclaimed Dark Messiah.
- His Trollian account name is terminallyCapricious, where capricious means "prone to sudden mood swings." Given his sudden turn for the quite insane once he got all the sopor slime out of his system, and the fact that he terminated some of his former friends, his name seems quite appropriate.
- Karkat gave the kids' universe cancer, but Gamzee made it terminal.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Takes this attitude toward any kind of knowledge, from computer science to lemonade recipes.
- He also has a captchalogue that operates via "Miracle Modus"; he has absolutely no idea how it works, and doesn't want to know.
- Messy Hair: Easily has the worst haircut of the Post-Scratch Trolls.
- Mind Rape: His innate psychic power due to his purple blood is to insert things into people's subconscious, usually in the form of hatred, which also makes said thing real in their Dream World. He's done this twice that we've seen, which instilled a fear of clowns in John (creating the Imp Doll in his tower on Prospit) and a fear of puppets in Dave (creating Cal in his tower on Derse). He was not shown using his power on Rose or Jade, suggesting that they might have some immunity to this power. However, seeing as he essentially never interacted with them it may just not have occurred to him to do so.
- Modest Royalty/Rebel Prince: He's only a smidge away from Eridan and Feferi's castes, but he doesn't act or look like it and doesn't seem to care about blood color—until he's sober.
- At which time he cares deeply about ALL the blood colors. ALL OF THEM. Specifically in the sense of "what can I paint with these?"
- Monster Clown: Looks the part, and collects posters of them. He also has juggling clubs, a unicycle and a load of horns. Subverted, however, due to his genial, friendly personality. But only until the sopor slime runs out.
- Mood Whiplash: Suddenly appears for a second in the otherwise silly "[S] All: Behold the glory of the Warhammer of Zillyhoo" flash, appearing before Karkat just before Gamzee kills him. This was shown later to be an alternate timeline where Karkat never ran the ~ATH program that blew up his computer, which resulted in Gamzee killing everyone save Aradia, who went back in time and corrected the problem.
- Mythology Gag: Gamzee isn't the first clown bard in MS Paint Adventures.
- Nice Guy: He's pretty polite and friendly in spite of how profane he is. Even after going Ax-Crazy, he still has some shades of this.
- Nightmare Face: And HOW! Whether it's of the subtle, creepy variety or the kind that terrifies you with the tenacity and appearance of a Jump Scare, Gamzee can do either, to very horrifying effect.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Is on the receiving end of one by Terezi and her cane. As soon as he's freed from Aranea's control he flies into a rage and delivered one to Terezi, it's lampshaded when Rose yells at him to stop.
- No Medication for Me: It may be improper for a troll to eat sopor slime pie, but Gamzee needs it... or else he remembers that he's one of the descendants of the Subjugglators.
- Noodle Incident: How he achieved God Tier or got a hold of Aradia's time-travel music boxes is so far, hand-waived as "shenanigans."
- Although his God Tier can reasonably be assumed to be fake, since even Hussie admits to Caliborn he should stop shooting him because he may not actually be immortal. Plus we saw his fake wing fall off and we know he got the cod piece from his dancestor, and not from an ascension
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: He was generally nonviolent during the session (and, incidentally, was nowhere near the status of a villain), but realized his potential at the end of Sburb's Final Boss, and moreso after going insane.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Although less "teleportation" and more "being already there." Because of all the Weird Time Shit, there are at least four instances of him running around Universe B2 simultaneously, as well as the instances on the cherub session's Earth and on the trolls' meteor.
- Oh Crap: He gives off this expression from Lil' Cal, just to show the reader how scary Lil' Cal is. Note that Gamzee has never shown fear on screen before up until that point.
- Omnicidal Maniac: While insane. It's an unfortunate aspect of being descended from Subjuggulators.
- Orwellian Editor: Gamzee apparently went through Rose's tome about the events of the story and censored bits about Lord English and himself by covering them up with Equius's blood.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: He's bleeding more than any other character after Caliborn fills him with holes.
- Parental Abandonment: Gamzee's lusus was never around to teach Gamzee anything.
- Pet the Dog: He also raised both Calliope and Caliborn well (to the best of his ability, anyway).
- He is genuinely shocked/upset by Fefeta's death and cries when ARquius is created, which would imply that he cared about resurrecting his dead friends.
- Phrase Catcher: "Fuck that guy", from Kanaya, Erisolsprite, and Dave.
- "You can't keep down the clown" and "Down with the clown", to a lesser extent.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Was before graduating to full-fledged cast member.
- Power Copying: He steals Aradia's Magic Feather time crystals and gains the ability to travel in time too, just in time to visit Jane. Credit to him being the first person to actually think to do that.
- Power Limiter: The sopor slime that Gamzee was shoving down his gullet kept his murderous impulses at bay. Possibly, since there's extensive debate over whether it was actually the lack of sopor slime that set him off, or the number of other contributing factors. It is likely that his chucklevoodoo abilities were suppressed by the slime, at any rate.
- The Power of Friendship: How Karkat cured his ax craziness.
- Presumably Evil Counterpart: A troll with an important role in their society abandons everything to raise a baby with candy red blood, whose accomplishments will change things forever. Is this a description of Gamzee or is this the Dolorosa?
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: His response to seeing Insane Clown Posse's music video for their song Miracles.
This. Is. Motherfuckin'. BlAsPhEmY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Is given one by Terezi about how much she loathes him and his disgusting faith as well as insulting him for being in league with Aranea, while beating him up. She completely fails to understand that he isn't in control of himself, and that Aranea is using him as a puppet.
- Reflective Eyes: Shown here fondly regarding Jadesprite's prototyping off the computer screen.
- Reverse Mole: Though he serves Lord English on the surface, he's also being mind-controlled by Aranea. However, given what her plan is, this isn't necessarily a good thing.
- Scars Are Forever: When he shows up on Jane's planet he still has the scars from Nepeta's claws despite an unknown amount of time passing.
- Serial Killer: When sober.
- Shipper on Deck: Appears to ship Karkat/Terezi here.
- Shout-Out: He's become a murderous Monster Clown who caused one of his victims to die with a smile on his face, wears smeared makeup all over his now scarred face, has a predominantly purple wardrobe, and is obsessed with a constantly scowling emotional cripple. Sound familiar?
- Signature Sound Effect: honk. HONK.
- The Slacker: In no small part due to his periods of zoning out.
- Slasher Smile: With his Face-Heel Turn, his partially-shown grinning smile here qualifies.
- Sober Equals Violent: But it's justified in that according to troll society's expectations of his blood caste, Gamzee as a murderous sociopath is actually more normal than as a blissed-out space case.
- Snake Oil Salesman: While peddling his "potions" to Jane.
- Split Personality: A common explanation in fandom for Gamzee's post-Freak Out behavior. On the one hand, his writing style and proclamation of being both of the Mirthful Messiahs lends this interpretation credence; on the other, it's never been explicitly confirmed canonically, and he doesn't show any other real examples of dissociative thinking.
- Split Personality Merge: In line with the above example, this is commonly believed to be what happened when he was calmed down by Karkat.
- The Stoner: All the potions he sells/gives to Jane are 420 Boonbucks, and that update came out around 4/20/2012.
- Suddenly Shouting: His trademark speech quirk when sober. The other characters even complain about it.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Subverted, in that the "evil side" may very well be his true self which was only suppressed by the ingestion of Sopor slime.
- Teeth Flying: Terezi kicks him in the face and knocks out a tooth on LOFAF.
- Theme Naming: Gamzee's Zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- Token Evil Teammate: Slaughtered several of his friends, mutilated the corpses of others, and is implied to still be working against them with the help of his even eviller ancestor.
- Totally Radical: More than half of the things he says. The rest is primarily the words "motherfucker" and "miracles".
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Faygo, like many Juggalos.
- Tuckerization: Inadvertently. Gamzee was named after a Turkish fan who had been roleplaying as him on Formspring. Her friends repeatedly suggested her name as a joke and added an e note , and Andrew assumed that it was a Meaningful Name and used it. That's right, the terrifying unstoppable killer's name means "Dimple". That does however make Gamzee the only troll with a an actual real world name.
- The Trickster: An apparently evil one. He's capricious, tempermental, and much cleverer than he seems.
- The Unreveal: Fans demanded to know Gamzee and Eridan's titles in Sgrub. When Gamzee's came up in his conversation with Dave, he'd actually forgotten half of it. The title remained this way until it was stated by Karkat to be the Bard of Rage.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Seriously, he was probably the most idealistic and friendly guy in the Troll session (outdone only by Feferi), even to the point where a number of Imps refused to attack him. Then, Dave showed him the "Miracles" video, inadvertently making a mockery of his religion, which turned him into a homicidal wreck who hunted his old friends for no reason. Even if he resembles his old self more after the Scratch, his actions show that he's not the same person he once was.
- Unstoppable Rage: Presumably his power as Bard of Rage.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Calls Karkat his best friend. In return, Karkat loathes him like hell. Only not really.
- Voice of the Legion: HiS uSuAl WaY oF tAlKiNg/TyPiNg sorts itself into SMALLCASE OR ALLCAPS EVERY OTHER LINE, which gamzee claims IS HIS TWO ALTERNATE PERSONALITIES. oh, and THEY'RE BOTH EVIL.
- Wall of Weapons: Jokerkind consists of stacks upon stacks of weapon cards, including ones that belong to members of The Felt and The Bunny.
- Walking Spoiler: Explaining why he's the most important character in Homestuck will lead to spoiler after spoiler, let alone explaining his behavior during sobriety.
- Western Zodiac: Capricorn.
- Wham Line: "shut up."
- Wild Card: Typical of the Bard class, apparently, who UU says "are typically known for their spontaneoUs and dramatic story-altering inflUence on the fate of a party" and are sometimes known for being "single handedly responsible for their spectacUlar downfall or improbable victory. or both!" Gamzee was partially responsible for their success against the Black King and definitely a factor in their party coming unglued. UU concludes that the post-scratch kids are probably fortunate for not having a Bard in their party.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's directly responsible for the creation of Cal and was used by Doc Scratch and Lord English to help destroy the Human Universe.
- He's also been manipulated by Aranea for quite some time, and only has a vague idea of what he's doing.
- Would Hit a Girl: Attacks Terezi after being released from Aranea's control after she's been stabbing him for a while (the glitched-up screen covers up the violence but somehow makes it more disturbing). It's implied he hit her when they were black-rom partners:
TEREZI: WH4T, NOW OF 4LL T1M3S YOU C4NT BR1NG YOURS3LF TO R41S3 4 H4ND TO M3?
♒ Eridan Ampora ♒
"You have an overpowering GENOCIDE COMPLEX, and have made it your sworn duty to KILL ALL LAND DWELLERS. You have amassed resources and deadly weaponry from around the world for this ambition through many sweeps of EXTREME ROLE PLAYING, while pursuing a working DOOMSDAY DEVICE which will bring armageddon to all those on the surface. Haven't had much luck with that, but maybe tonight's your night."
A noble of the troll Nautical Aristocracy with a borderline-genocidal distaste for land dwellers, which he's perfectly willing to overlook should it serve his purposes.
In Sburb, he is the Prince of Hope
. His trolltag is "caligulasAquarium
He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS
with the RIFLEKIND ABSTRATUS
types wwith no capitalization or punctuation doubles the letters "V" and "W" so that they look like wwavves
often drops the "G" from wwords endin in "-ing" and likes to shorten his friends names dowwn to the first syllable
- Anime Hair: A mop of a hairdo with a purple skunk stripe.
- Anything That Moves: Eridan's continual failure at romance leads to a downward spiral of neediness and desperation that causes him to gradually regard matters of blood color, species and crippling sociopathy as inconsequential downsides to a prospective romance partner. Although, to be fair, it was never actually confirmed whether he wanted a romantic partner or a sexual partner; he could very well be an aversion. Especially since Cronus, who represents fanon!Eridan, does mention that he is looking for concupiscent relationships.
- Ax-Crazy: He made it a point to kill his session's allied constructs despite the fact that they didn't give any grist.
- When all hope is lost, he ultimately decided to turn on his friends with the intent of stopping them from dying. Given Feferi and Sollux's objections, Eridan decides to fight them. Then, Kanaya gets in the way and is promptly defeated. His killing spree is entirely out of paranoia and has nothing to do with actual allegiance to Jack Noir, the person who he was trying to make a possible deal with in order to save them all. Of course, Eridan's plan fails.
- Back from the Dead: Prototyped with, of all people, Sollux to form Jake's sprite, Erisolsprite.
- Badass Cape: Which he wears at all times.
- Badass: Think of him as you will, but he did manage to take on a land full of virtually unkillable Angels on his own. He also manages to take out Sollux, Feferi and Kanaya in a matter of seconds. Even though it is in no way justified, you have to admit, it was rather impressive. Oh, and his first appearance has him taking out a whale using his AHAB'S CROSSHAIRS.
- Bait the Dog: Originally presented as a Harmless Villain or Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain, Eridan's grandiose ambitions were easily thwarted and made fun of, like everyone thinking he's a tool. He has sympathetic moments, like when his relationships fail, and when his insecurities show. "Kanaya: Return to the Core" emphasizes this, with him being quite pitiful, showing the problems in his planet were caused by himself, and showing that in-spite of everything, he still considers Kanaya to be a good friend and wants to help her, even using animations to show him at his most awkward, ready to cry, lip quivering, etc. Then he has his Freak Out.
- Biting The Scarf: When he realizes that his caliginous feelings for Sollux are pathetically obvious.
- Black Magic: Inverted in name as "White Science" due to Eridan's insistence that belief in magic is for wrigglers but otherwise played completely straight. Kanaya claimed to have trained him in White Sorcery to rival Rose. Or at least, she made him a light-based magic wand to shut him up. However, Light & Dark symbolism is inverted for trolls, and his "Empiricist's Wand" is entirely used to destructive ends.
- Blatant Lies: In one of his memos, Karkat accuses Eridan of still trying to kill the angels. Eridan denies it, while his AHAB'S CROSSHAIRS are in his hands. He also thinks Karkat is hitting on him.
- Blood from the Mouth: When cut, and dead.
- Break the Haughty: He tries so hard, thinking he is the best, leading him to get rejected by
every female everyone he tries to hit on. Then he gets a White Wand, KO's Sollux in a possible duel to the death, and blasts Feferi to death through the chest. And that's just for starters...
- Butt Monkey: Poor Eridan just can't seem to catch a break. He's a giant bundle of insecurities under the regal pretensions, and getting pre-emptively rejected by Feferi only to develop blackrom feelings for the guy she chose over him didn't help. He might just be the most pathetic out of all the trolls, since while even Tavros eventually got his robot legs and slightly less antagonism from Vriska, Eridan is still stuck with everyone thinking he's a tool.
- After he dies, nobody mourns him, or (aside from his merged sprite self) even mentions him again. At all. Justified by the fact that he murdered or tried to murder everyone who had the slightest hint of concern for him.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Averted when he reveals his flushed feelings for Feferi early on. They've both been carefully considering their feelings for a long time, and independently resolve that for good or ill, this night is the night upon which they each pour out their heart to the other. Unfortunately for Eridan, Feferi is emotionally burnt out from keeping him in check and staving off his constant attempts at genocide upon the lower social classes, and wants to downgrade the relationship from moirallegiance to platonic friendship.
- Clarke's Third Law: Despite his own aspirations to be a wizard, he's convinced at this point that magic is not real, and that anything that appears to be magic is just highly advanced technology. Even after Kanaya makes him a science wand, he simply proclaims himself to be a "mighty wwizard of wwhite science"
- Cluster F-Bomb: He swears quite a lot, though not as much as Gamzee.
- Continuity Nod:
- Resembles a "lame gothy supervillian" which Dave jokingly aspires to be.
- His rifle was first seen with the Uber Bunny.
- Darkest Hour: His killing spree is part of a series of catalysts for his character's darkest hour.
- Death by Irony: Eridan blasted a hole in Kanaya's stomach, resulting in her demise. When she becomes a rainbow drinker and returns to battle, she chainsaws Eridan in half. She also wears a sash consisting of a cape he dropped earlier when fighting Sollux which covers the hole Eridan made in her stomach.
- Death World: Turns his world (Land of Wrath and Angels) into this by killing the titular angels, enraging them to the point the rest of the trolls were too scared to even consider going on it. This is a race of people who thrive on a complete Crapsack World, and they were scared shitless of his world.
- Despair Event Horizon: As the Prince of Hope, he believes he knows when there isn't any, and now? Well, the trolls have no chance whatsoever—their only option, as he sees it, is to join Noir and pray he doesn't kill them. It's reached the point where he dooms his own race to extinction, just to prove there's no hope left.
- It is later revealed that the "Prince of Hope" title can literally mean "the DESTROYER of Hope" meaning he was meant to cause this all along.
- Deus Angst Machina: In essence what happens to him over the course of Sburb. On any other day his quest would have been his perfect power fantasy; an enemy to destroy utterly, angels of death at his command, and a world of temples dedicated to his ego. However, breaking up with Feferi makes him miss this, driving him to reprehensible behavior that isolates him and eventually leads to madness.
- Diabolical Mastermind: He aspires to be one, at least. He's plotted to wipe out all the land dwellers and Feferi feels a need to keep an eye on him and his "nefarious schemes."
- He also modeled himself after famous trolls in history, particularly the diabolical ones.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: When Feferi breaks up with him.
CC: I can't look after you anymore.
CA: I DIDNT EVER NEED ANYONE TO LOOK AFTER ME
CA: i was totally fuckin fine my ambitions were noble
CA: and really none of your fuckin business QUITE FRANKLY your majesty
- Dogged Nice Guy: Overall, Eridan zigzags this trope. He tried to be this for Feferi during their time as a moiraillegiance, and in regards to most of his friends he actually was this prior to his Freak Out. When push comes to shove, he is more often a Nice Guy than not. However, he also was initially antagonistic towards land-dwellers. His paranoia became more rampant, which led to him thinking there was no hope left in his session. Nevertheless, he shows remorse after everything is said and done.
- Duel to the Death:
- Challenged Sollux to one offscreen earlier. It didn't wind up going anywhere.
- Before Kanaya interrupted it, he was about to engage in a duel with both Gamzee and Vriska. The "to the death" part was implied, given Gamzee and Vriska were also going to duel to the death for their own survival and because they were also Ax-Crazy.
- Emo Teen: To a small degree, given his appearance and exaggerated emotional theatrics.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Wears rings and a cape, but that's about the extent of his royal attire. Even without them, though, his outfit is less simple than most trolls.
- Everyone Has Standards: It says a lot that even he thinks Cronus is a creep. While he still gives Cronus a chance at the latter's suggestion, Eridan bemoans what he's "been reduced to."
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Wears a lot of rings.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When Feferi refuses to come with him to find Jack, Eridan's response is basically; "But I would protect you, and we'd be so powerful serving him! How can you not want that?"
- Expospeak Gag
CA: wwhatEVVER you are so the vvillage twwo wwheel devvice wwhen it comes to auspisticing
- Famous Ancestor: Orphaner Dualscar.
- Fantastic Racism: He wants to kill all land-dwellers, except some of his friends. But at this point it's probably safe to say that he absolutely sucks at being a racist. He only ever says he wants to kill all land dwellers, but he never actually goes through with it and given that he knows that Vriska's superweapon wouldn't work and doesn't care, it's probably safe to say that it's all just a charade even if he did want to do it at some point. And beside that he is genuinely friendly with Kanaya, Karkat and Gamzee and is as genuinely taken aback at Sollux' death. Up until he decides to kill them himself.
- His fish-themed moirail points out that he's practically a land-dweller himself; he's barely even spent a full day under water in his whole life.
- One interpretation is that his schemes are mostly a pretense to make Feferi feel obligated to stay his moirail. It's not the relationship he wants with her, but he figures it's better than nothing.
- Fish Trolls
CA: ok please lets just not get into the wwhole fuckin fish pun thing again ok
- Foe Yay: Has blackrom feelings for Sollux, his rival in love for Feferi. He also had a very potent rivalry with Vriska back in the day whom he seems to still have lingering feelings for.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Best description of the energy blasts used to kill Feferi, the Matriorb, and Kanaya.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Becomes this by the time the trolls arrive at the meteor, having managed to disturb, piss off, or annoy everyone but Karkat into disliking him. The isolation drives his breakdown.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Eridan goes from this◊ to this◊ in SEVEN PAGES.
- Growing Up Sucks: A complaint he has at the end of his conversation with Kanaya.
CA: kan its hard
CA: being a kid and growwing up
CA: its hard and nobody understands
- Harpoon Gun: Nothing less than Ahab's Crosshairs, which were seen earlier with the robot bunny. A miniaturized version, anyway. It's used as a sort of Lightning Gun/Ray Gun however.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: A particularly unexpected Face-Heel Turn happened with very little foreshadowing in Act 5. With Eridan's death, his story arc had not been immediately resolved. He was made into Erisolsprite with Sollux, which gave him a second chance. As Erisolsprite, he's displayed himself to be genuinely remorseful, and it's implied that even Feferi's half of Fefetasprite forgives him.
- High Collar of Doom
- Hopeless Suitor: In every quadrant, though he pines mostly for black romance.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The thought that Jack Noir- who had killed or tried to kill everyone he came across- would spare him if Eridan offered him allegiance is unlikely at best.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: And he keeps getting rejected.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: As Feferi points out, none of his plots to kill the land dwellers ever succeed, and every doomsday device he gets his hand on is a piece of junk.
- Your penchant for mass murder notwithstanding, people tend to regard you as a BIT OF A TOOL.
- Then we find out that everybody else abandoned him in his game because of his Jerkass tendencies and the fact he kept killing everything in sight, including whatever the angels were. And then he stops being ineffectual. Later on, he becomes sympathetic when he apologizes to Feferi through the sprite combinations of Erisolsprite and Fefetasprite.
- Insistent Terminology: Magic isn't real. He practices science.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For a guy who wanted to kill all land-dwellers, he certainly put a lot of work into saving them.
- Then his jealousy turns into hatred which ultimately makes him a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk...
- ... but after having caused so much mayhem during his killing spree, he seems genuinely remorseful for his actions as Erisolsprite.
- Knight of Cerebus: Killing off two of his fellow trolls — and two of the most unambiguously good trolls, to boot — sent Eridan firmly into Knight of Cerebus territory. Especially because it's when the trolls hit their Darkest Hour.
- Knight Templar: His ulterior motives all hinge around the concept of hope, and he was planning on joining Jack because his friends would otherwise be doomed. But he takes this way too far. He decides that hope is his to do with as he wishes. As such, he destroys the Matriorb, the troll race's only hope of further propagation.
- Large Ham: He deliberately attempts to craft an image for himself as a legendary conquerer through exaggerated emotional theatrics. But it backfires; people just think he's a tool.
- (F)LARP: Through his character Orphaner Dualscar.
- Le Collaborateur: Somewhat subverted in a sense, he doesn't seek to join Jack out of a desire to get revenge on his fellow Trolls, but rather thinks that it's the only way to survive.
- Leitmotif: Eridan's Theme (Now with lyrics from General Ivan.)
- Lethal Joke Character: Becomes this, in-universe. His romantic failures and social buffoonery were meant to mask much of his true dangerousness. Confirmed by Word of God to be what was intended.
- Light Is Not Good: Wielding white science to heroine Rose's black magic. Don't forget, light/dark symbolism is reversed for trolls.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Eridan just can't win on any quadrant. Feferi didn't really reciprocate his feelings, Vriska just got bored of their rivalry, his attempts to start a new rivalry with Sollux are painfully obvious and fall flat, Rose responded to his clumsy flirtation by blowing up his computer, and Jade flatly only tolerated him long enough for him to leave her alone.
- Oh, and Terezi doesn't want to auspistice between him and Sollux, Karkat wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole, Equius is made uncomfortable by his advances (though in which quadrant, it's not specified), and his own client player Nepeta spectacularly failed to fall in love with him for saving her life in the same way Feferi did with Sollux.
- Love Hurts: Jerk that he is, it's hard not to feel bad for him when Feferi breaks up with him.
- Meaningful Name:
- Eridanos was the name of a river in ancient Athens which symbolizes Aquarius, while Ampora is likely from amphora, a vessel used for carrying, among other things, water, in Ancient Grome.
- If you shorten it, it becomes Eri' 'pora.
- His FLARP character, Orphaner Dualscar, kills custodians to feed Feferi's lusus.
- His title of "Prince of Hope" was for the longest time considered ironic due to this eventual actions, until UU revealed that the "Prince of x" is "one who destroys x, or caUses destrUction throUgh x". In other words, Eridan is literally the Destroyer of Hope.
- The first part of his chumhandle ties not only into his role as The Caligula but also according to Word of God to his dark romantic obsessions via the caliginous quadrant.
- Multicolored Hair/Skunk Stripe: A purple tuft in the middle. Though the fact that his hair has any color at all is pretty notable as far as trolls are concerned — and what's more, he was apparently born that way.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: His planet. Anybody up for a trip to the Land of Wrath and Angels?
- Nerd Glasses
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He killed the local game constructs of his world, and then kept doing so, enraging them and turning it into a Death World that the other trolls were araid to even set foot on.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He tells Feferi that, as the Prince of Hope, he is most qualified to tell them when there is not hope left for them, which leads to him attempting to try to join Jack.
- Not Good With Rejection: His reaction to Feferi breaking it off is just the start of his downward spiral.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Initially, he's portrayed as a harmless comic-relief butt-monkey villain whose plans aren't really serious. Then snaps and murders or seriously injures a third of the Troll cast within the space of a few pages.
- Ominous Opera Cape
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Intentionally. When he's about to reveal his feelings for Feferi to her, he stops typing in his "wweird accent" to show that he's serious.
- Perpetual Frowner: He is the only one out of the main trolls to not be seen smiling.
- Pet the Dog: After finding out that he's a genocidal, serial-killer of trolls and their lusii (to feed Vriska & Feferi's lusii) in his introduction, you find out that he knows exactly how to kill off all the land dwellers. But he won't do it because it would make Feferi upset.
- As Erisolsprite, when forced into meeting Fefetasprite, he does his best to genuinely apologize for killing half of her. It doesn't work out perfectly due to the situation, but she accepts his apology regardless.
- Pirate: Used to play Flarp as a seagrift, and was on-and-off an ally with Vriska.
- Purple Is The New Black: He wears fancy royal-purple clothes, and in regards to the trope's second meaning as a signifier of an ineffectual villain it's pointed out that all his plans to kill land-dwellers never work, he spends more time on land (or at least above the sea) than in the ocean, and doesn't even have enough rage to hate the soda that littered his beloved shore.
- Royal Blood: Kickass royal blood, as he calls it. It's penultimate on the hemospectrum, second in their group only to Feferi's.
- Royal Brat: Easily the least reasonable Troll to deal with. Most of the other Trolls can't stand him because of this.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Wears one.
- Self-Defeating Prophecy: Tries to join Jack Noir because, as he sees it, there's nothing left worth fighting for...and a few pages later, he's killed Feferi and destroyed the Matriorb- the trolls' last hope for recreating their species.
- Shout-Out: Couldn't you already tell from the glasses, the scarf, or the lightning bolt-shaped horns and mark on his head? Oh, and he likes magic.
- Sure, Why Not?: The reason he has an interest in wizards is because of people comparing his appearance to Harry Potter.
- Small Name, Big Ego: While he's highly ranked in the hemospectrum, this seems to have colored everything about him. His Royal Blood means he knows best about everything, whether or not he actually has any clue whatsoever. For example, killing some of his planet's local game constructs until they were so fed up they were attacking him and any other troll who visited, despite them not dropping any grist. When Karkat calls him on that specific bit of idiocy, he agrees it was silly of him... then two sentences later he seems to have forgotten that lesson, and is talking about how hard it was to kill them and how he can't believe no one came to help him.
- Teens Are Monsters: At age thirteen, has so far killed countless troll lusii, the "angels" from his planet (most likely peaceful), two close friends, and an egg housing what would have helped repopulate the Troll race. With these criteria, could contend for the Trope Page Image, tied with Vriska.
- Theme Naming: Eridan's Zodiac sign is Aquarius.
- Then Let Me Be Evil / Stopped Caring: Made a personal decision to this effect by the opening of Return to Core. By then, Eridan has utterly given up on everything except survival, and is perfectly willing to murder all trollkind if doing so would get him out of his current situation.
- The Social Darwinist: A mix of types 2 and 4. He mostly uses the caste system as an excuse to be a jerk, but his attempt to bring Feferi (and no one else) with him when he defects implies that he really does believe in highblood superiority.
- Trigger Happy: Enough to keep killing some of his planet's local game constructs.
- Unsound Effect: His corpse gives off the word DEAD.
- Verbal Tic: Not as pronounced as Feferi, but being an aquatic troll, he occasionally uses "glub", too.
- Violet Blood: The second-highest on the hemospectrum, as a matter of fact.
- Warrior Prince: Not that this is especially unusual on Alternia, where everyone from the royalty down is raised to fight.
- Western Zodiac: Aquarius.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Possible; he seemed to have gone Grimdark for a second right before his murder spree kicked into overdrive.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In a way. He seems to treat Sgrub as a First-Person Shooter rather than staying true to its pseudo-RPG format—he spent most of his time in the game blowing angels up, instead of trying to make nice with them and learning more about his land and his heroic destiny as he was supposed to.
- In aspect terms, Eridan thought being the Prince of Hope means knowing whether hope exists or not, and having pure mastery of the aspect. But there are two sides of the Hope aspect: one who destroys using hope, and one who destroys hope. Eridan's total despair makes him the latter.
- Yandere: Could be interpreted as such, especially given the fact that his breakup with Feferi is most likely what triggered his Start of Darkness. While the reasons behind his killing of Feferi are never confirmed, a lot of fans think it had to do with extreme possessiveness.
- Might simultaneously be this towards Sollux (troll romance is weird). When Sollux and Feferi get together and reject his advances, he does not take it well.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Inverted. Eridan insists this regarding his blackrom rivalry with Vriska, but the latter broke it off entirely and avoids him. And then, it's later revealed that they're not only destined to face each other again, but their ancestors in the past also had a similar relationship/confrontation as well. However, Kanaya breaks up the present confrontation and kills him.
- You Will Be Spared: Says so to Kanaya as she's one of the few land dwellers he likes and will put up with him.
CA: im not goin to vvery wwell kill you am i that wwould be fuckin unconscionable
CA: wwhat kind of friend wwould i be
♓ Feferi Peixes ♓
"You would redefine what it means to be CULLED in troll society. Under your rule it would mean caring for the unfit and infirm rather than exterminating them, and you have put this idea into practice by CULLING THE FAUNA OF THE DEEP. You tend to wild and beautiful AQUATIC HOOFBEASTS, grooming and feeding them daily. You capture and cage CUTTLEFISH by the thousands for their own good, and also because they are funny and colorful and you love them. They often swim through the bars of their cages, but that is fine. You run your whole palace as a sort of WILDLIFE ADOPTION FACILITY, even if the wildlife's need for care is dubious at best, and the practice really just amounts to an elaborate ROLE PLAYING SCENARIO. It's still fun though."
The sea-dwelling heiress apparent to the throne of the Alternian Empire, she is determined to one day make a better life for trollkind.
In Sburb, she is the Witch of Life
. Her trolltag is "cuttlefishCuller
She has allocated her STRIFE SPECIBUS
with the 2x3DENTKIND ABSTRATUS.
Types by replacing t)(e letter "H" wit)( reverse ordered parent)(eses to make them look like t)(e Pisces symbol, and places )(yp)(ens in
front of capital ——E's to create TRID-ENTS! S)(e uses smilies wit)( curly )(orns and goggles, makes fishy puns, and LOV-ES to say t)(e
word "glub". Glub glub glub! 38)
- All Girls Like Sea Ponies
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Previously in a relationship with Eridan, a wannabe villain who later Face Heel Turns and becomes a real villain. Currently in a relationship with Sollux, where she seems to find his grouchy, negative side attractive.
- Subverted in Eridan's case: it was those very "bad boy" traits that eventually drove her away from him.
- Abusive Alien Lusii: Fef seems to have a real affection for her lusus but she's an Eldritch Abomination miles long, and can cause X-4 apocalypse if she gets extremely hungry and any voice above a whisper causes trolls to start dying. Though it's hardly Gl'bgolyb's fault that her voice just happens to be a Brown Note to trolls and she was more than willing to sacrifice her life to help Feferi to safety. This is in stark contrast to Vriska, who has a similar deal but her giant spider will make sure to put HER on the menu should she not keep the food on the table.
- Back from the Dead: Prototyped into Roxy's sprite with Nepeta.
- Better as Friends: When Eridan finally reveals his feelings for her, she politely rejects him, much to his disappointment, but she says they should still be friends. This does NOT end well for her or Eridan.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's very hard to piss off, but doing so makes her fly into a rage that can really only be stopped by ending her life. Beyond that, she's easily the nicest troll, but even then you still have to put up with her being very unsettling at times.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: With Eridan and later Sollux.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: More than most trolls, considering her lusus is an Eldritch Abomination that is capable of killing her entire species if its voice ever gets above a whisper (and it does). Compared to that, all the other Horror-Terrors Of The Furthest Ring are nothing.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Feferi has no issue with Horrorterrors at all. They're FRI—ENDLY!
- Dissonant Serenity: Even as her friends start to split off into various parts of the lab, Feferi seems oddly calm about the whole ordeal.
- She quite happily accepts her death and even has a casual conversation with Jade before just blurting out that she's dead.
- Double Weapon: ΨDON'snote ENTENTE, a DOUBLE CULLING FORK.
- Dream Weaver: Implied to be one of her abilities as the Witch of Life: It is the past, brought back to life by a witch!. Also being (meta)physically located in the furthest ring due to being dead helps. Considering it's not all that easy for someone without a clear concept of time to navigate between bubbles, the fact that she can means she must have some ability in this regard.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Wears goggles and a headband, even though neither are needed for her to live underwater.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Her preeminent blood makes her heir apparent to the Alternian empress.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: She's decked out in it.
- Everything's Squishier With Cephalopods: Her pet cuttlefish, which she keeps by the thousands because they are funny and colorful and she loves them. Also her lusus, a very Cephalopod-like Eldritch Abomination.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The first thing she's seen doing is culling cuttlefish (though it turns out she has a different definition of "culling" than we do).
- Expy: Shares a lot of traits with Jade, such as having a deadly powerful guardian, being a Witch of Something, being free spirited, and being the weird one among their respective circles. Partially because of this, in Act 5 Jade underwent a lot of Character Development and they're not as comparable after.
- Fish Trolls: See Eridan's example.
- Foreshadowing: She did say she was D-----EAD, after all.
- Also, the title is said to challenge the player. So why would a title like Witch of Life challenge her unless she were to die?
- Fuchsia Blood: The highest on the hemospectrum.
- Genki Girl: She's very -EXCIT-ED! about Sgrub, and everything in general.
- Goggles Do Nothing: She wears them mostly because they're cool.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Like with Jade, just of her dream self, though her purpose was to show that the gods of the furthest ring weren't dangerous. Bites her in the ass when she's Killed Off for Real by Eridan.
- Ironic Death: In the sense that the Witch of Life is dead. Also, she's the last sign of the zodiac, and she likely dies first after the Troll session ends. Compare to Aradia, who was the first sign of the zodiac, and died before the session started... but recovered.
- Healing Hands: The power of an Alternate Timeline Feferi who went God Tier.
- Kindly Vet: Rescues sea animals and helps them get better.
- Leitmotif: Keepers, originally shared with Eridan, and now Love You (Feferi's Theme).
- Mama Bear: Mess with her friends and you'll be on the wrong end of a very, VERY angry fish troll and her 2x3dent. Not that there's a right side, really.
- Manic Peixes Dream Girl: For Eridan, and possibly also for Sollux.
- Meaningful Name: Feferi is a corrupted form of pfefferi, a poisonous species of cuttlefish. Peixes is Portugese for Pisces (and just plain 'fishes', for that matter).
- The Messiah: If it weren't for Alternia's annihilation preventing her reign, her plans would have included uniting land and sea dwellers and redefining culling to mean caring for the unfit and infirm members of troll society instead of exterminating them.
- Later she's the first to suggest simply working together with the humans, and she makes it possible for Jade to communicate with the dead trolls via dream bubbles. Or at least Jade wants to thank her for setting them up.
- Note that the 'culling' thing might have become a Nice Job Breaking It, Hero, as culling is used to feed her Lusus. Said Lusus, if not fed, will get perturbed and kill every troll alive.
- Morality Pet: The main reason Eridan hasn't implemented a plan to kill all land-dwellers yet? It would upset Feferi.
- Mood-Swinger: As seen in her conversations with Eridan and Sollux, and tendency to switch to capslock at the slightest provocation. She's sweet, but has quick flashes of anger. note
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Her smile is... unnerving.
- Nice Girl: Believes in Troll equality, which is something nigh-unheard of on her planet (and may qualify her as Wide-Eyed Idealist).
- Nightmare Face: "Because, Stupid! I'm D-----EAD!" For those who only want to read about it, imagine Feferi's usual creepy smile with Prophet Eyes.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She doesn't seemed bothered by the Horrorterrors while asleep, unlike Jade, Karkat, and most of the readers, and cheerfully tries to convince the others that said Horrorterrors are harmless and even friendly.
- Justified: Her lusus was the emissary of said Horrorterrors.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Because of Feferi being raised the way she was, there are a lot of things she considers normal that even manage to weird out the other trolls, with eldritch abominations just being one of them. Feferi can easily switch from being one of the most adorable trolls to the most creepy, within TWO PANELS of each other. To her she's just being friendly in her own unusual way.
- Nightmare Retardant: Invoked, after all, Feferi is a fish alien, so what other expression would she have on her face in death than that of a dead fish?
- No Pronunciation Guide: While this is a problem with all of the trolls, Feferi has it the worst. For the record, it's fuh-FERRY PAY-shus according to Word of God.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Among the Trolls, she shares Rose's trait of knowing the most about the Horrorterrors, considering she was raised by one. Plus she makes it so that Jade can communicate with the Trolls via dream bubbles, something the living would not normally be able to do on their own without being God Tier and physically inside the bubbles. So yeah, things are starting to pay off for her even though she's dead.
- Oblivious to Love: To the point of cheerfully teasing Eridan about who he might have red feelings for. Turns out, she got sick of putting up with Eridan's crap especially when he decided to show up in Sollux' land just to start a fight with him over Feferi.
- Out of Focus: Aside from Nepeta and Equius, who are legendarily Those Two Guys, Feferi has suffered the most out of the Trolls in terms of screentime. Even her plot critical dream meetings have mostly occurred offpanel.
- Politically-Active Princess: Has big plans for social reform, although The End of the World as We Know It understandably forced her to give up those plans.
- The Pollyanna: Easily the most optimistic of all the trolls. She's -EXCIT-ED about just about everything, is one of the first to step up with the suggestion that they should help the kids instead of trolling them, is absolutely positive the horrorterrors are not dangerous in the slightest, and is quick to reassure everyone that their friends starting to become scarce is not a big deal. Not even death really does anything to dampen her spirit.
- Prongs of Poseidon: The first kind.
- Pungeon Master: Loves fish-puns in particular.
CC: Will you just clam up for once in your life? CC: Always carping and carping and carping! CC: You go completely overboard with your emotions, always looking to reel in drama wherever you can. CC: I am up to my gills in it! I just can't salmon the strength anemonemore. CA: i cannot CA: BELIEVE CA: you are doin the fish pun thing while youre breakin up with me CA: real nice CA: whoops i mean REEL nice
- Purple Is Powerful
- Rebellious Princess: Has no regard for the hemospectrum and planned to introduce a much more unified and caring order to troll society, though troll society was completely wiped out before she could.
- To cement this, the current empress is her ancestor, and is the polar opposite of Feferi.
- Royal Blood: Her blood color is unique to her and the current Empress, her ancestor.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The kind of leader she aspires to be.
- However in Sburb she becomes decidedly more low key and is content with Karkat and Aradia leading the Trolls around.
- Ship Tease: With Sollux shortly after the game begins. Later they spend their time together talking about their feelings.
- Spoiled Sweet
- Super Strength: As trolls get higher on the hemospectrum their natural strength increases while psychic ability decreases. Being the highest she possibly can be on the spectrum, she can pull a whale with ease underwater and leap out of the water several hundred feet.
- Theme Naming: Feferi's Zodiac sign is Pisces.
- Those Two Guys: With Eridan.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She was a very idealistic character who wanted to create a more equal and just Troll society. She was murdered for standing up for this, and died long before any of her ideas could take effect.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Thanks to character development, she shows a more jerkish side to her, possibly because she doesn't feel the need to be tactful around her friends anymore. Not to say she's still not the nicest troll around, but it is comparable to how Jade is also becoming more unwound.
- Troll: Pretends to be depressed to mess with Vriska in Alterniabound. It works.
- Undignified Death: Her dream self's death. Yes, she had every intention of sticking around for a front row seat of the destruction of Derse. No, she probably doesn't realize what Jack likes to do when there's main characters about. And as for her actual death, she doesn't even get a step into her charge before Eridan blows a hole right through her chest, killing her instantly. Granted, considering dying has done nothing to lower her spirits to the point where she's able to proclaim she's dead with a huge grin on her face, she herself doesn't exactly treat her death with any dignity.
- Unstoppable Rage: As hard to piss off as it is, it only comes natural that when she DOES get angry, she means business.
- Verbal Tic: Glub glub glub glub glub!
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: She's very kind typically. That doesn't keep her from mocking Eridan and calling Jade a retard.
- Western Zodiac: Pisces.
> Go Back > Return to main page