Elsewhere in paradox space, we examine another planet, forgotten by time. But we will strive to remember. What was this planet's name?Long before the formation of planet Earth, there was a world called Alternia. Alternia was a world ruled by the trolls, a species who, at least externally, look like humans with grey skin, fangs, yellow eyes, and striped horns. The trolls, too, have found Sburb (or rather, Sgrub), and over the course of the adventure we meet twelve troll children who play it together, split into two sessions of six. However, sometime during the course of their quest, something goes very wrong, and they begin a campaign of petty internet harassment against the kids, who they blame for the incident. Despite their monstrous looks, sinister screennames, and character profiles composed of mixes and inversions of traits from one or more of the kids, the trolls mostly aren't that bad; they were introduced properly in their own sub-adventure arc in Act 5 Act 1, also known as Hivebent, before essentially becoming part of the main cast on par with the kids in Act 5 Act 2.
open/close all folders
♐ Equius Zahhak ♐
Paradox Space Appearances: "Headed for Stardom" | "John's Birthday" | "Hunting Lesson" | "Killswitch ENGAGED" | "Night at the 100dseum" | "Secret Sufferer" | "Steward of Void" | "Relation Shipping" | "Summerteen Romance" | "Vrisky Business"
You love being STRONG. You are so strong, you would surely be the class of the elite legion of RUFFIANNIHILATORS. And while such a calling would be quite honorable, you would prefer to join the ranks of the ARCHERADICATORS, perhaps the most noble echelon the imperial forces have to offer. Unfortunately, you SUCK AT ARCHERY. You have not successfully fired a SINGLE ARROW. Every time you try, you BREAK THE BOW. You are simply too strong. You have broken so many bows, it has developed into a habit BORDERING ON FETISHISTIC. You have to stop. But addiction is a powerful thing.A traditionalist troll who staunchly believes in upholding the noble customs and beliefs attributed to his blood color.In Sburb, he is the Heir of Void. His Trolltag is "centaursTesticle".He has filed three STRIFE SPECIBI in his STRIFE PORTFOLIO: FISTKIND ABSTRATUS, BOWKIND ABSTRATUS and 1/2BOWKIND ABSTRATUS.
D —> Types by beginning his lines with a bow and arrow, replaces "X" and similar-sounding consonant
combinations with the % sign, "loo" and "ool" with "100" and "001", uses horse puns when ser100sly agitated,
and leaves his sentences unpun%uated
- Adorkable: But only when around Nepeta or Aradia.
- A Glass in the Hand: The guy can't drink a glass of anything without accidentally crushing it.
- Archer Archetype: In keeping with the Sagittarius theme, considers the bow a dignified weapon of the upper classes. He even begins every line with a symbolic bow and arrow: D —>. He's actually terrible at archery, though, to the point where he's never successfully fired an arrow. Fittingly, he's not that good at keeping up his composed facade when under pressure.
- Animal Motifs: Horses. He loves them...maybe a little too much...
- Antiquated Linguistics: He sometimes types like this when he gets worked up, and especially when he raps.
- Back from the Dead: As Equiusprite. And after Dirk tosses his Auto-Responder into the mix, Arquiusprite.
- Battle Couple: With Aradia for a while; later, with Nepeta, although in a different quadrant.
- Big Brother Instinct: His protectiveness of Nepeta.
- The Big Guy: His hobbies include programming robots and TEARING THEM APART WITH HIS BARE HANDS. Whoa.
TG: how the fuck do you even wield a broken bow
- JUMPED INTO HIS GATE. PUNCHED AN OGRE'S HEAD OFF. YEAH HE'S BADASS.
- This exchange.
TG: did you go around clubbing shit with the two halves
CT: D —> Yes
CT: D —> Sometimes
- Blessed with Suck: He's incredibly strong, to the point where he can decapitate an ogre with a single punch. He also cannot control this strength, so a "gentle", appreciative pat bruises his lusus (which itself was picked for its own strength), he cannot handle a bow without snapping it in half, he manages to shatter his own teeth everytime they have regrown, and the only person he can hold an intimate relationship with has a robot body that he built himself.
- Blue Blood: Figuratively and literally (indigo, to be precise). He looks down on those from the lower classes.
- Butterface: Played for Laughs with his talksprites. They're not pretty.
- Combat Medic: He's frighteningly STRONG, but at the same time, he's kept the more unlucky trolls patched up with robot prosthetics, including Vriska's arm, Tavros' legs, and Aradia's soulbot.
- The Comically Serious:CT: D —> Humorous insincerity is for pedantic wigglers
- Covert Pervert: "It would always make everyone uncomfortable when he just stood there. And watched."
- Cultured Warrior: He collects fine art (or at least what he considers to be fine art), has an appreciation for nature, and displays a penchant for slam poetry. If you piss him off, however, he will literally punch your head off. He also objects to 100d note language, leading to Goshdang It To Heck.
- Death by Irony: He wants so badly to be an archer, but he always breaks the bows. So naturally Ax-Crazy Gamzee brings him to his knees with an arrow, then kills him with a broken bow.
- A Death in the Limelight
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: He's terrible at archery due to always breaking the bows and he bruises his lusus (one of the strongest creatures on the planet) when trying to give him "a grateful pat, as gently as possible" for bringing him a glass of milk. Also, he can't drink without breaking the glass.
- Erotic Asphyxiation: He starts grinning as he's being strangled to death by Gamzee. He's always had "bloodshot bags" under his eyes (petechia, for those who love Forensic Dramas), which is probably a hint he doesn't mind his killbots going for the neck.
- Even Perverts Have Standards: Equius, with all his weird fetishes, still feels uncomfortable with how Eridan hits on him.
- Failed a Spot Check: He can use his Void powers to censor or hide things, from his Porn Stash to potentially his entire session.
- Fetish: Equius gets off on being ordered around and chastised by highbloods. And from getting strangled by highbloods. And by what he considers "depravity" (subversion of the caste hierarchy, such is lowbloods being disobedient or holding authority over highbloods, lowbloods acting dignified and highbloods acting undignified).
- Filth: His musclebeast portraits.
- Fingerless Gloves: He wears a pair.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Not to the same degree as Eridan but (Nepeta aside) you'd hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't consider him to be something of a creep. Even the narrator doesn't like him.
- Furry Fandom: His "art" collection, though it's also implied that Alternia in general considers it high art.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He likes building robots, usually just to destroy them, but he made some prosthetic legs that he let Tavros keep, as well as Vriska's mechanical arm, and a robot body for Aradia.
- Genius Bruiser: He builds strong and sturdy killer robots, and beats the shit out of them in caged brawls.
- A Glass in the Hand: Happens every time he picks up any glass because he is so STRONG.
- Gonk: Has mouthful of broken teeth, blue circles under his eyes that are often visible even underneath his sunglasses, frequently sweats profusely and in the Alterniabound segments his hair is particularly stringy-looking. Needless to say he's probably the least attractive of the trolls.
- Goshdang It To Heck:CT: D —> Fudgesicles
- Got Me Doing It: He makes horse puns when flustered, much like Nepeta does with cats. Take both of them roleplaying as each other while flustered and you have quite a sight.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: And he's a bit grudging about it, given his preference for archery. But When All You Have Is a Hammer......
- Go Out with a Smile: Played for both laughs and Squick at the same time, like everything about Equius.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets mad pretty easily, which is why he builds robots. He needs something to take his anger out on. Note that venting his rage at his robots seems to work; we never actually see him get seriously angry at anyone else—we only see him venting at inanimate objects.
- Happy Moirails: Despite how utterly screwed up the rest of his life is, his moirallegiance with Nepeta is the textbook example of how that particular quadrant is supposed to work. Notably, he doesn't just use her as an emotional crutch, he returns the favor by warning her away from dangerous situations and generally working to keep her safe.
- Hidden Depths: He is, of all things, a pretty good rapper. He even wins a rap battle with Dave (though Dave wasn't taking it super seriously). There's also his moirallegiance with Nepeta and his hobby of making robots. Plus, despite being glaringly obviously neurotic and having serious fetish issues, he actually turns out to be one of the most stable trolls — he has one of the few actually healthy and stable relationships in the entire series, and (aside from his death and his inappropriate decision to build Aradia's robot body with an attraction to himself) he manages to keep all his various issues in check enough to remain functional even when everyone else is going batshit. He even recognizes that he probably won't be able to make himself kill Gamzee, and tries to make sure Nepeta is safe first.
- Honor Before Reason: Even though he wants to stop Gamzee and save his friends, and he's STRONG enough to easily snap the bowstring with his neck muscles, doesn't even try to resist when Gamzee strangles him to death because of his STRONG belief in highb100d supremacy.
- And this is how reacts upon learning of Gamzee's killing spree: "Are you saying the highb100d has finally embraced his position atop the hierarchy ... I'm not entirely positive I can raise a hand to the highb100d".
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Nepeta.
- Made more apparent in the more-detailed talksprites in Act 5 Part 2, though it's primarily musculature and not height that makes Equius the Huge Guy.
- In a Single Bound: STRONGJUMP!
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: He may be a racist asshole, but it's hard to really hate him when his obscene strength prevents him from doing pretty much anything. Plus he's still racist in situations where it doesn't benefit him or even goes against his interests. And he does question it sometimes, and it's almost more like a fetish for him.
- Jerkass: First-class, at first. He's a genuinely nice person though, although he buys into racism a bit much
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As much as he looks down on the lower classes, he readily provides robotic prosthetics to the crippled Vriska and Tavros, and looks after Nepeta as best he can.
- Joke Character: Word of God himself confirms this. Introduced with his "Fine Art" and died as a Senseless Sacrifice.
- Knee Capping: Gamzee forces him to kneel by shooting him in the knee with an arrow.
- Leitmotif: Horschestra
- Looks Like He Is Enjoying It: Rare example that it is without sound, but still apparent.
- Macho Camp: The author has associated him with incredibly eroticized masculine imagery since his first full appearance, mostly for comedic purposes or to deliberately Squick out fans. Of course, he's bi like all trolls.
- Mad Scientist: A mostly-heroic version.
- Made of Iron: Implied as a Required Secondary Power for his Super Strength, but made more explicit in these pages, where he STRONGFALLS a significant distance and suffers no noticeable injury. So naturally he's strangled to death like the Hercules' Nemean Lion.
- Meaningful Name:
- Equus is Latin for horse.
- Zahhak is a villain in Iranian folklore, who has an older name that means "[he who has] 10,000 horses".
- He's also known as "Aži Dahāka" in more ancient folklore, a name derived from the Avestan word for "serpent," which would roughly translate his full name to "Horse Serpent." Think on that for a moment.
- He's the Heir of Void, now devoid of air.
- Mind Hive: He eventually becomes a sprite that is fused with Lil Hal in the Post-scratch Kids' session, serving as Dirk's sprite, courtesy of Gamzee. In Caliborn's Masterpiece, it is revealed that he, along with Caliborn, Lil Hal and one half of Gamzee, are all sealed within Lil Cal, and he may well be the reason Doc Scratch used the hemospectrum as his means of changing Alternia into the Dystopia it is.
- Morality Pet: Shortly before going off to get killed, he tells Nepeta that she's the only reason he didn't become a murderer like most of the other highbloods.
- My Greatest Failure: Letting Nepeta die. When they meet again after being revived as sprites, he's horribly ashamed, which is made worse by him being merged with Lil Hal, who's never had to deal with emotions like that and promptly freaks out.
- Mythology Gag: More than any other character in Homestuck, Equius is a reference to Hussie's older work, like his satirical blog post on the paintings that would later became Equius's "fine art" or his death being a Whole Plot Reference to Whistles.He was always the troll personification of everything like Humanimals I ever did and put on the internet. [...] I used to do all sorts of weird stuff, reviewing obscene furry pornography, making weird collages involving horses, and just a whole lot of bizarre shit that didn't make much sense, but I thought was funny. The whole span of these endeavors was quite trollish in nature[...] The fact that it puts some people off is part of what makes it funny. So Equius was that entire arena of trollish content, rolled into a character.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: He's very upset that Aradia only said goodbye to Sollux before she exploded, hence why he makes it a point to say goodbye to Nepeta before confronting Gamzee.
- Noble Bigot: Towards both Lower Castes and Seadwellers.
- Overprotective Dad: He seems to have something similar going on with Nepeta. Most notably, he doesn't want her to talk to the "lower-class" (caste) trolls, and she feels the need to ask his permission before playing Sgrub.
- As she points out, though, he has some reason to be concerned, given that the usual "games" among lower-blooded trolls involved Vriska murdering them in vast numbers.
- Perpetual Frowner: Part of what makes him The Comically Serious, he is almost always wearing a sort of scowl, with his broken teeth gritted together. The main times he isn't scowling are when he's talking face-to-face with Nepeta or fulfilling certain... caste fantasies.
- Personality Powers: The most obvious inversion. Heirs are closely related to becoming their aspect literally and figuratively, and Void means being ignored and hiding things. Equius clings to the hemospectrum - a superficial and violence-instigating concept in Troll society - in order to feel special as he feels he is of little merit. Enforced by Kanaya stating that a player's title is designed to both challenge them and suit them.
- Pet the Dog:CT: D —> You e%terminate beautiful, innocent creatures by the hundreds
CT: D —> I can't condone such wretched behavior
CT: D —> Beasts are meant to be 100ked upon with adoration
- Later, we find out exactly what he means by "looked upon with adoration".
- His deceptively NON-abusive relationship with Aurthour might count as this also.
- And he prevented Nepeta from playing FLARP, which could've gotten her killed by his neighbor◊.
- Also, he sets aside his racism to build a pair of robot legs for Tavros, who is near the bottom of the blood spectrum.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Nepeta. It's actually the only moirallegiance which works perfectly fine.
- Possession Implies Mastery: Averted with bowkind, played straight with fistkind and ½bowkind (because his freakish strength makes him good at breaking bows (and killing things with broken bows).
- Power of the Void: Equius' mythological role is the Heir of Void, which may or may not have this trope in effect. Darkleer, his ancestor, was naturally surrounded by a void in Doc Scratch's awareness—a Psychic Block Defense against scrying and omniscience. UU mentions in Act 6 that Void powers are about the destruction or obfuscation of knowledge, but how it manifests in an Heir is unknown.
- This isn't so much an extension of his power but rather an ironic subversion, but UU's book that contains Rose's description of what happened in the kids' session was censored by Gamzee with Equius' blood used as ink.
- Precision F-Strike: Equius considers swearing beneath him, but that doesn't stop him from dropping an F-Bomb when he realizes that Aradia, who is at the very bottom of the blood hierarchy, has authority over him as his server player.
- Pungeon Master: Starts making horse puns by the dozens when flustered.
- Pure Is Not Good: He doesn't condone foul language (such as "what the hell") or the killing of animals and refuses to pollute his body with "sugary beverages and soporific to%ins". It doesn't stop him from being a Jerk Ass and elitist bigot, though.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His Sinister Shades have this appearance in the dark.
- Ship Tease: With Nepeta, although this turned out to be more of Like Brother and Sister.
- Sinister Shades: Broken ones, at that, because he is too strong to ever put them on without breaking them
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: And a wimp he is not.
- Sunglasses at Night: Out of style, apparently. They fall off when he dies.
- Super Strength: He can't fire arrows because he always breaks the bows, and he's capable of destroying robots with his bare hands.
- Testosterone Poisoning: He loves being STRONG, Does Not Know His Own Strength, wears a muscle-exposing tank top, and unleashes his aggression by beating the shit out of killer robots. Later kicked up to eleven when he merges with Lil Hal. The resulting Arquius spends most of his pagetime encouraging people to touch his muscles.
- Theme Naming: Equius's Zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
- Those Two Guys: With Nepeta.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Getting strangled by a highblood gives him a big smile on his face when he dies.
- Toothy Issue: Some of his teeth have been knocked out in his fights with his robots. (Luckily, they usually grow back.)
- Unfortunate Names: His screen name (centaursTesticle), albeit one he picked himself, for obvious reasons.
- Undignified Death: Why on earth is he smiling as he is strangled to death?!
- On the other hand, Hussie maintains that Equius "died a death of supreme integrity." Which is true—he remained loyal to his ideals of highblood supremacy and extreme squickiness even as he died.
- "He died as he lived: Sweaty and inappropriately turned on."
- On the other hand, Hussie maintains that Equius "died a death of supreme integrity." Which is true—he remained loyal to his ideals of highblood supremacy and extreme squickiness even as he died.
- Unstoppable Rage: The only safe outlet for his anger is beating up robots inside a steel cage.
- Western Zodiac: Sagittarius.
- Worf Had the Flu: His fight with Gamzee probably wouldn't have been so one-sided if weren't for his refusal to fight a Highblood and his fetish for domination.
♑ Gamzee Makara ♑
Paradox Space Appearances: "John's Birthday" | "Headed for Stardom" | "Hospitality" | "Secret Sufferer" | "Spritecon" | "Summerteen Romance"
You get pretty excited by CLOWNS OF A GRIM PERSUASION WHICH MAY NOT BE IN FULL POSSESSION OF THEIR MENTAL FACULTIES. You belong to a RATHER OBSCURE CULT, which foretells of a BAND OF ROWDY AND CAPRICIOUS MINSTRELS which will rise one day on a MYTHICAL PARADISE PLANET that does not exist yet. The beliefs of this cult are SOMEWHAT FROWNED UPON by those dwelling in more common lawnrings. But you don't care, you got to be going with what feels right at where your heart's up in, you know?A rather spacy troll, perpetually high on sopor slime, who holds a deep and spiritual awe for all life's miracles, great and small.In Sburb, he is the Bard of Rage. His trolltag is "terminallyCapricious".He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS with the CLUBKIND ABSTRATUS, and later the JOKERKIND ABSTRATUS.
TyPeS wItH aLtErNaTiNg UpPeR aNd LoWeR cAsE lEtTeRs AnD pUnCtUaTiOn, AnD
pEpPeRs HiS sPeEcH wItH mOtHeRfUcKiN oDd PrEpOsItIoNaL cOnStRuCtS aLl Up On OvEr. He AlSo LiKeS tO uSe
SmIlIeS wItH cLoWn NoSeS. hOnK HoNk! :o).
post-sobering up and declaring himself subjugglator he uses lines of text alternating all caps and lowercase,
WHICH IS INTERPRETED AS HIS TWO PERSONALITIES WHO ARE BOTH EVIL ALTERNATELY YELLING AND WHISPERING
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: Acts as one by the time he meets Jane, trying to push her to buy "potions" that suspiciously bear the same (blood) colors and promised traits as the dead trolls. Answer however you want, But Thou Must! buy them from him.
- Animal Motifs: Goats.
- Anime Hair: Most ridiculous hair style of the trolls and pretty much any character in the comic.
- And I Must Scream: As Aranea's loyal servant:ARANEA: You will not ever 8e speaking again. No. Never, never, never again. Never.
- It gets worse. As it turns out, Aranea's mind control stopped him from screaming in pain when Terezi started stabbing him repeatedly. Which means that all of the pain inflicted on him in previous panels actually was hurting him, and he couldn't do anything about it.
- His (implied) ultimate fate. Since he was last seen bawling his eyes out while trapped in Jake's fridge on LOTAK, there's a strong possibility he was either completely disintegrated by Jack English's exploding severed heard or sucked into the resulting black hole. The latter is the more terrifying of the two, as his inability to die would leave him trapped in the void for all eternity.
- A Love to Dismember: He was romantically interested in Tavros and dismembers his corpse, sporadically kissing his severed head and saving the body for over three years.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Averted. His particular blood caste essentially was Ax-Crazy, and his Mirthful Messiahs canonically are essentially the Devil and Grim Reaper equivalents in Alternian culture, but Gamzee himself is pretty okay when he can control his insanity.
- Ambiguously Evil: After the Scratch, it wasn't entirely clear if he's still working for Lord English or if he was just being weird. Act 6 Intermission 4 seems to confirm that he is, in fact, working for him.
- Ascended Extra: His solo appearances that weren't as part of the Cast Herd prior to going crazy can be counted on your hands; later events indicate he may be the most important character in the comic as a whole. Played With, in that Gamzee has very little dialogue past Act 5 and his influence is more implied than outright shown.
- Ax-Crazy: His Face–Heel Turn in Act 5 Act 2 single-handedly turned the trolls' asteroid into a slasher flick. He got better before the end of the act, though he's still pretty nuts.
- Berserk Button: The "Miracles" music video by Insane Clown Posse, which he describes as BlAsPhEmY is what sets off his plunge into insanity.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Prior to his Face–Heel Turn, Gamzee was easily the most laid back member of his session, but also dealt the most damage out of his entire party during the final battle against the Black King. In a single blow.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Hell. Yes.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Terrifyingly so, between his stoned persona and the polite half of his sober persona.
- Blood Lust: Inherited from his ancestor.
- Blood from the Mouth: An absolute torrent after being shot and brutally beaten by Caliborn. Who got told off for it with elevator music.You made this dear, sweet, pseudo-innocent juggalo vomit liter after thick, glutinous liter of nasty purple blood.
- Blue Blood: Actually purple blood, but has the same implications, as he's the highest on the hemospectrum aside from the nautical royality. Averted in that he's pretty chill for a hereditary aristocrat.
- Played straight later on when he accepts his role as the heir to the Subjugglators, a line of trolls meant to subjugate the rest of the troll race, and starts calling people peasants and commanding them to kneel before him.
- Blue Oni: To Karkat and Caliborn's Red Oni.
- Bound and Gagged: In the retconned timeline, Terezi binds Gamzee with rope and gags him with a horn in order to stop his rampage.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: It's shown that Lil' Cal has had an influence on him, and it's also implied that the godforsaken thing was crucial to making him want to kill his friends.
- Break the Cutie: Averted. His descent into insanity was shown to be incredibly emotional for Karkat, but Gamzee himself really enjoys it.
- Butt-Monkey: Caliborn really likes pumping his guts full of lead, along with whacking him right upside the head.
- Catch-Phrase: mOtHeRfUcKiNg MiRaClEs. mOtHeRfUcKeR in general is pretty commonly used by him.
- The Chessmaster: He's capable of some shenanigans once he goes insane, and helped manipulate Vriska's death. He currently is manipulating Jane in ways that have yet to be explained.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Vast Honk prophesied by his religion turns out to be the summoning of Lord English, the counterpart to the Vast Croak.
- Confusion Fu: His Jokerkind Strife Deck gives him access to any weapon he carries, so he's pretty unpredictable, though he never uses a weapon twice. Nobody is quite sure what he did to The Black King that messed him up so badly either.
- Cool Bike: A rocket unicycle. He never uses it but it does exist.
- Cooldown Shoosh-Pap: Gets a very comforting one from Karkat. As moirails, Karkat continues to be a stabilizing influence on Gamzee.
- Cute and Psycho: His quiet personality, the one that speaks in lowercase, is cheerful and polite, but is still equally as psychotic as the loud personality.
- Determinator: He just. Won't. Die.
- Dissonant Serenity: His usual personality. He's pretty chill with the fact that Sollux died. When he's talking in lower case, he's pretty much chill with everything including his desire to murder everyone he knows.
- It comes back full force in Act 6, where he keeps smiling after being brutalized by Caliborn and stabbed by Terezi - and it's absolutely clear that he's in excruciating pain, but can't show it, especially in the latter's case.
- The Dragon: For Caliborn. He's also Aranea's Dragon at some points, but it certainly isn't willingly.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Gamzee was unceremoniously murdered over the course of four flash sequences. Or he would've been, if he wasn't still alive.
- He kept on going until he was bisected and melted by lava... Until the timeline was retconned by John, anyway.
- Drugs Are Good: In his case, at least. When he's stoned off his gourd, he forgets that he's heir to the legacy of the subjugglators.
- Easily Forgiven: At least by Karkat. Kanaya still wanted to murder him for a long time after that.
- Enigmatic Minion: On one hand, he created a self-loathing Tavros/Vriska Body Horror hybrid for no reason, conspires with his even more insane dancestor, and serves as a guide for Caliborn. On the other hand, he still values his relationships with Karkat and Terezi, offered to be a guide for Jane, and created a stable hybrid of Sollux and Eridan to assist Jake with, a stable hybrid of Nepeta and Feferi to assist Roxy with, and prototyped Equuis to assist Dirk with. What he's playing at is anyone's guess. Act 6 Act 5 Act 2 reveals that he's been under the mind control of Aranea for quite some time, which would explain some of his actions.
- Erudite Stoner: Though he zones out from time to time, he's fairly smart at understanding exactly what to say to his pals.
- Evil Costume Switch: Or at least, typing style switch. When sober, He GoEs FrOm TyPiNg LiKe ThIs to alternating between all lowercase... THEN GOING ALL MOTHERFUCKIN CAPS KARKAT STYLE.
- Eye Take: Shared with Vriska in surprise to... someone walking.
- Face Framed in Shadow: In the two parts of Openbound that he appears in, his actual face can't be seen. His blood's visible, though.
- Face–Heel Revolving Door: Gamzee has gone crazy, become sane again, and currently seems to be crazy again. He's also been suggested to be working with Doc Scratch and Lord English, and is very fond of Cal.
- His codpiece outfit that he's been seen wearing in Act 6 was given to him by Kurloz Makara, who explicitly stated that both of them were in service to Lord English.
- Faith–Heel Turn: Seen here (although it did occur earlier in the story).
- Faux Affably Evil: Became this during Act 5 Act 2, making jokes and acting friendly only to further torment the other trolls
- Flash Step: Rivals Dirk in this regard.
- Friendly Enemy:TC: bUt NoW wE kInD oF sEtTlEd DoWn AnD mE aNd ThE iMpS aRe ShArInG sOmE pIeTC: tHeSe MoThErFuCkErS aRe PrEtTy DoPe AcTuAlLy, I lIkE tHeM.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: By halfway through Act 6, he's managed to drive away everyone on the meteor except Terezi, even his former best friend. The closest thing that he has to a buddy now is Caliborn, who actively hates his guts, and even Terezi wants to dump him, though she can't quite manage to do it.
- Freak Out!: After he watches the "Miracles" music video, he finds it blasphemous and goes completely insane.
- Fluffy the Terrible: "Gamzee" is a real-world Turkish name that means "Dimple", and it's typically a female name at that.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: From Joke Character to Hero Killer over the course of a few hundred panels.
- After GAME OVER getting retconned, this trope is inverted and he goes back to basically being a joke again. When John shows up on the meteor he's completely at a loss, basically unable to stop him from derailing his stalking of Terezi, which results in her tying him up and neutralising him as a threat. He then spends the timeskip as Vriska's helpless pet and has no role for the rest of the story aside from getting sliced in half and one half of him becoming part of Lord English, and basically being tied up and/or being the target of mockery or physical punishment.
- Gag Penis: His cod piece is rather large; however it serves primarily as a Mythology Gag to Bard Quest, as it's not even known if Trolls have penises.
- If Kurloz's mission is of any indication, it's part of something more sinister. No, really.
- A God Am I: Claims to be both of the Mirthful Messiahs when on his rampage. Many fans take this as evidence of a Split Personality. Later on, his soul is trapped inside Lil' Cal along with those of ARquiusprite and Caliborn while the latter begins his ascension as Lord English. If Caliborn assimilated the other souls into himself, Gamzee could very well be telling the truth.
- God Never Said That: Popular Fanon holds that Gamzee went crazy in part because of Parental Abandonment from his lusus and finding Tavros's corpse. Neither of these things were shown in canon. Hussie attempted to Joss the former by showing the wild seagoat on Jake's island to be a monstrous animal intent on chasing and eating Jake, while Gamzee was shown to be crazy before he possibly could have found Tavros's corpse.
- Good Parent: Surprisingly, he actually takes fairly good care of both Calliope and Caliborn.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Evil and self inflicted.
- Greater-Scope Villain: While Gamzee is far from the biggest threat or most pressing evil in the story, he was directly responsible for introducing the Cherub race to Sburb, resulting in the creation of Lord English. Then again, Lord English, like Jack Noir earlier, was already there.
- Groin Attack: The victim of one.
- Half the Man He Used to Be:
- Kanaya does this to him in GAME OVER. Vertically. This is notable in that, whether it sticks or not, it's the first time Gamzee has died in any timeline - ever. That is, if he actually did die. The event was eventually erased from the narrative by John.
- According to Caliborn's masterpiece, it happens again during their battle with the kids. To top it all off, his soul is then ripped from one half of his body and trapped inside Lil' Cal.
- Heel–Face Brainwashing: Aranea's mind control over him, if only in the sense that it keeps him pacified and that he serves her lofty goals.
- Helpless Good Side: Subverted. When Terezi is attacking him just before Game Over, he takes her attacks with a dopey smile — then Aranea's control of him vanishes and he appears to "wake up" and says: "TeReZi... wHoA. PlEaSe StOp. YoU'rE mOtHeRfUcKiN... hUrTiNg Me. :o(". Terezi drops her weapons in shock and as she's having a My God, What Have I Done? reaction, he gets a malevolent look in his eyes and breaks into a Nightmare Face HONK before attacking.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: While he's sober and trying to help Jane, he skirts around on this line. Namely, he calmly throws the corpses of Tavros and Vriska into Jane's Sprite in order to help her out. While she screams her lungs out.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Initially with just about everyone. When he goes crazy, it's subverted, as the only thing he wants to do with them is make fingerpaintings out of their blood.
- Subverted between him and Tavros as shown in this update. Gamzee has a crush on him but Tavros did not reciprocate. Eventually turned into Yandere on Gamzee's part, as he's seen kissing Tavros's severed head while crazy.
- And then ultimately Double Subverted, as the power of moiraillegiance partially reintegrates his two personalities and makes him sane-ish again.
- Subverted between him and Tavros as shown in this update. Gamzee has a crush on him but Tavros did not reciprocate. Eventually turned into Yandere on Gamzee's part, as he's seen kissing Tavros's severed head while crazy.
- I Ate WHAT?!: Likes to sneak tastes of SOPOR SLIME PIE, which shouldn't be eaten by trolls.
- Immortality Hurts: His rascally clown status is somewhat of a double edged sword, as he can evidently still feel pain from every injury, even those that SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH to kill him.
- Not to mention that his inability to die essentially makes it neigh impossible for him to achieve god tier status. This his doesn't stop him from wearing the outfit though.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Lampshaded by Jane when she see his "Cod Tier" outfit, which includes a polka dot, peaked, clown hat/hood and the ostentatious codpiece from Bard Quest.
- In the Blood: When sober, he follows the path of the Subjuggulators like the Grand Highblood more closely.
- Inventory Management Puzzle: He doesn't understand how it works, nor does he care to learn. He just captchalogues stuff to watch the lights. He deserves points for being the first character to use the most obvious solution for such an abstract modus.
- Irony: Unlike the rest of the trolls his personality is the polar opposite of his zodiac sign - Capricorns are supposed to be greedy, antisocial, and ambitious while Gamzee is a Friend to All Living Things Love Freak Defector from Decadence - when drunk on sopor slime. When sober, it's straight as can be.
- Threw away his beliefs after becoming enrage from seeing the Miracles ICP music video, only to start acting like the murderous characters from their much darker songs.
- Joker Immunity: Every Troll has at least one dead doomed timeline version of themself. Not for Gamzee.
- He also apparently literally has this, as he is notoriously hard to kill because he is a "rascally clown". It takes Kanaya chainsawing him in half vertically to push Gamzee onto death's doorstep, and even then it's unclear whether this will be enough to actually kill him..
- Juggalo: The troll analogue/parody of one. Dirk lampshades this by finding the idea of an alien Juggalo ridiculous.
- Kick the Dog: He kills Nepeta and Equius pretty much For the Evulz. He does it again when he makes fun of Terezi's blindness in their hate-relationship, causing her to get her eyes healed out of bitterness. The last one is subverted in the sense that he's later revealed to have been under Aranea's control when he mocked her disability, although he still kicked the dog with Nepeta and Equius on his own accord.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Caliborn's initial treatment of Gamzee is meant to showcase just how much of a Jerkass he is, though it's undercut somewhat since Gamzee kind of had it coming for screwing some of his friends over.
- Kneel Before Zod: His request to Equius before killing him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He kills a troll nicknamed "centaursTesticle," then Kanaya appears, and nut shots him!
- Leitmotif: mIrAcLeS and later Blackest Heart.
- Even just honking in general is very associated with Gamzee.
- Lethal Joke Character: He seems harmless enough, but apparently what he did to the Black King in the troll session was the single most damaging move in the battle, outweighing even Vriska's final blow. During Act 5 Act 2, his descent into insanity slowly showcased the development of him going from Joke to just plain Lethal.
- Lightning Bruiser: Master of Flash Step and capable of catching a pouncing Nepeta out of midair with one hand.
- Love Freak: His obsession with recognizing miracles within the universe makes him one.
- Mad Artist: Like his ancestor.TC: I AM GOING TO MOTHERFUCKING KILL ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.TC: and paint the wicked pictures with your motherfuckin blood.
- Made of Iron: Getting filled with bullets doesn't kill him and he has never died in any timeline. The Narration says he's God Tier but Caliborn doesn't buy it and believes he's a fake.
- For what it's worth, he doesn't act like the other God Tiers. Normally when they die a death that isn't either Just or Heroic their corpse disappears after a while any then they reappear, perfectly fine. Gamzee is still clearly bleeding profusely when he shows up at the tower, so it's not that he died and it didn't "take", he's just still alive somehow.
- The official explanation is that he isn't hard to kill because he's God Tier - but because it's really hard to kill clowns.
- Mad Love: For Caliborn. He gave up everything and everyone else in his life (except his blackrom with Terezi) to serve him. Caliborn greeted him by pumping his torso full of hot lead in a sincere attempt to kill him. Repeatedly. Even after Hussie got him to stop by hanging the threat of playing Elevatorstuck forever over his head, Caliborn still treats Gamzee like crap when he deigns to acknowledge his existence at all.
- Madness Mantra: honk HONK honk HOOOOOOOOOONK.
- Magical Clown: He has a clown theme, and at one point uses "chucklevoodos" to create/replicate a Creepy Doll in Dream Dave's bedroom on Derse.
- Meaningful Name: Makara is the Indian equivalent of Capricorn.
- Makara means blessed. He is a self proclaimed Dark Messiah.
- His Trollian account name is terminallyCapricious, where capricious means "prone to sudden mood swings." Given his sudden turn for the quite insane once he got all the sopor slime out of his system, and the fact that he terminated some of his former friends, his name seems quite appropriate.
- Karkat gave the kids' universe cancer, but Gamzee made it terminal.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Takes this attitude toward any kind of knowledge, from computer science to lemonade recipes.
- He also has a captchalogue that operates via "Miracle Modus"; he has absolutely no idea how it works, and doesn't want to know.
- Messy Hair: Easily has the worst haircut of the Post-Scratch Trolls.
- Mind Rape: His innate psychic power due to his purple blood is to insert things into people's subconscious, usually in the form of hatred, which also makes said thing real in their Dream World. He's done this twice that we've seen, which instilled a fear of clowns in John (creating the Imp Doll in his tower on Prospit) and a fear of puppets in Dave (creating Cal in his tower on Derse). He was not shown using his power on Rose or Jade, suggesting that they might have some immunity to this power. However, seeing as he essentially never interacted with them it may just not have occurred to him to do so. It's implied that with proper application of his powers, you can make a person go insane.
- Modest Royalty: He's only a smidge away from Eridan and Feferi's castes, but he doesn't act or look like it and doesn't seem to care about blood color—until he's sober.
- At which time he cares deeply about ALL the blood colors. ALL OF THEM. Specifically in the sense of "what can I paint with these?"
- Monster Clown: Looks the part, and collects posters of them. He also has juggling clubs, a unicycle and a load of horns. Subverted, however, due to his genial, friendly personality. But only until the sopor slime runs out.
- Mood Whiplash: Suddenly appears for a second in the otherwise silly "[S] All: Behold the glory of the Warhammer of Zillyhoo" flash, appearing before Karkat just before Gamzee kills him. This was shown later to be an alternate timeline where Karkat never ran the ~ATH program that blew up his computer, which resulted in Gamzee killing everyone save Aradia, who went back in time and corrected the problem.
- At the very end of his Motive Rant at a very confused past Dave for ruining his faith (which he will do later, as a result of this conversation) he suddenly starts flirting with him and asks if he wants to rap. "They both then proceeded to have one of the best rap-offs in the history of paradox space."
- He unexpectedly appears after the very atmospheric and spooky Myst-esque puzzle session on Jane's planet in full God-Tier regalia that includes a codpiece and sells/gives her potions that are strongly implied to be the blood of his friends. Just when the audience has gotten used to Gamzee acting silly again, he reveals he stored Vriska and Tavros's bodies in Jane's fridge, tosses both of them into Jane's kernelsprite creating Tavrisprite, and adds a "honk" for good measure.
- When he's under Aranea's mind-control (or at least the times we know he's under her control) he's incredibly placid, but the second he's free he completely freaks out. When he's freed during Terezi's attack, he reverted to his original personality—GAMZEE: TeReZi...
GAMZEE: PlEaSe StOp.
GAMZEE: YoU'rE mOtHeRfUcKiN...
GAMZEE: hUrTiNg Me. :o(
- —for about a second, then violently attacked her (in his defense she was stabbing him with her cane-sword and he couldn't move or even speak because Aranea "ordered" him not to; in Terezi's defense he was a horrible, *horrible* black-rom partner).
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Apparently the main tenet of the Subjugglator cult's theology.
- TC: I PeEpEd oN A PlAcE Of 6 tRiLlIoN HeMoS
TC: AlL Up aT OnE RoCk, BlEeDiNg aS EqUaLs
TC: It's eAsY To sEe iF YoU SeArCh aLl yOuR FeElInS
TC: ThAt pEaCe hApPeNs fIrSt, AnD MuRdEr's tHe sEqUeL
- Subjugglators make "humorous" sacrifices in anticipation of the Vast Honk, which was ultimately revealed to be Lord English.
- Mythology Gag: Gamzee isn't the first clown bard in MS Paint Adventures.
- Nice Guy: He's pretty polite and friendly in spite of how profane he is. Even after going Ax-Crazy, he still has some shades of this.
- Nightmare Face: Whether it's of the subtle, creepy variety or the kind that terrifies you with the tenacity and appearance of a Jump Scare, Gamzee can do either, to very horrifying effect.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Is on the receiving end of one by Terezi and her cane. As soon as he's freed from Aranea's control he flies into a rage and delivered one to Terezi, it's lampshaded when Rose yells at him to stop.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Gamzee has failed to die in any timeline. He constantly survives getting pumped full of lead by Caliborn back on alpha Earth, and in the A2 session survives multiple cane stabs courtesy of Terezi, afterwards remaining strong enough to completely trash her and easily kill Karkat when he attempts to save Terezi, all while dancing on the brink of a lava pool. Kanaya responds to all of this by slicing him in half a la Eridan (but vertically this time around.) It's STILL not clear whether this is going to finish him off. Although all of GAME OVER is retconned, he gets sliced this way again in Caliborn's fight with the kids and promptly has his soul sealed in Lil' Cal along with Caliborn and ARquiusprite's.
- No Medication for Me: It may be improper for a troll to eat sopor slime pie, but Gamzee needs it... or else he remembers that he's one of the descendants of the Subjugglators.
- Noodle Incident: How he achieved God Tier or got a hold of Aradia's time-travel music boxes is so far, hand-waived as "shenanigans."
- Although his God Tier can reasonably be assumed to be fake, since even Hussie admits to Caliborn he should stop shooting him because he may not actually be immortal. Plus we saw his fake wing fall off and we know he got the cod piece from his dancestor, and not from an ascension.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: He was generally nonviolent during the session (and, incidentally, was nowhere near the status of a villain), but realized his potential at the end of Sburb's Final Boss, and moreso after going insane.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Although less "teleportation" and more "being already there." Because of all the Weird Time Shit, there are at least four instances of him running around Universe B2 simultaneously, as well as the instances on the cherub session's Earth and on the trolls' meteor.
- Oh, Crap!: He gives off this expression from Lil' Cal, just to show the reader how scary Lil' Cal is. Note that Gamzee has never shown fear on screen before up until that point.
- Omnicidal Maniac: While insane. It's an unfortunate aspect of being descended from Subjuggulators.
- Orwellian Editor: Gamzee apparently went through Rose's tome about the events of the story and censored bits about Lord English and himself by covering them up with Equius's blood.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: He's bleeding more than any other character after Caliborn fills him with holes.
- Parental Abandonment: Gamzee's lusus was never around to teach Gamzee anything.
- Pet the Dog: He also raised both Calliope and Caliborn well (to the best of his ability, anyway).
- He is genuinely shocked/upset by Fefeta's death and cries when ARquius is created, which would imply that he cared about resurrecting his dead friends.
- Phrase Catcher: "Fuck that guy", from Kanaya, Erisolsprite, and Dave.
- "You can't keep down the clown" and "Down with the clown", to a lesser extent.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Before graduating to full-fledged cast member.
- Power Copying: He steals Aradia's Magic Feather time crystals and gains the ability to travel in time, too, just in time to visit Jane. Credit to him being the first person to actually think to do that.
- Power Limiter: The sopor slime that Gamzee was shoving down his gullet possibly kept his murderous impulses at bay. "Possibly" since there's extensive debate over whether it was actually the lack of sopor slime that set him off or any of a number of other contributing factors. It is likely that his chucklevoodoo abilities were suppressed by the slime, at any rate.
- The Power of Friendship: How Karkat cured his ax craziness.
- Presumably Evil Counterpart: A troll with an important role in their society abandons everything to raise a baby with candy red blood, whose accomplishments will change things forever. Is this a description of Gamzee or is this the Dolorosa?
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: His response to seeing Insane Clown Posse's music video for their song "Miracles".This. Is. Motherfuckin'. BlAsPhEmY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Is given one by Terezi about how much she loathes him and his disgusting faith as well as insulting him for being in league with Aranea, while beating him up. She completely fails to understand that he isn't in control of himself, and that Aranea is using him as a puppet.
- Reflective Eyes: Shown here fondly regarding Jadesprite's prototyping off the computer screen.
- Reverse Mole: Though he serves Lord English on the surface, he's also being mind-controlled by Aranea. However, given what her plan is, this isn't necessarily a good thing.
- Scars Are Forever: When he shows up on Jane's planet he still has the scars from Nepeta's claws despite an unknown amount of time passing.
- Serial Killer: When sober.
- Shipper on Deck: Appears to ship Karkat/Terezi here.
- Shout-Out: He's become a murderous Monster Clown who caused one of his victims to die with a smile on his face, wears smeared makeup all over his now scarred face, has a predominantly purple wardrobe, and is obsessed with a constantly scowling emotional cripple. Sound familiar?
- After taking a graceful swan-dive off the deep-end, he describes his former "mental instability" and sums up his new-found "lucidity" to Karkat thusly:TC: RUSTS YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN THINK PAN.TC: and the floor all stares up back at you through the motherfuckin hole.
- Most of his personality after becoming sober is from the more darker ICP character songs. Specifically, his tendency to collect heads is from one of their better songs Bowling Balls, while his inflicting Death by Irony comes from most of their Dark Carnival songs about Karmatic Death.
- After taking a graceful swan-dive off the deep-end, he describes his former "mental instability" and sums up his new-found "lucidity" to Karkat thusly:
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Gamzee curses more frequently than any other character in Homestuck with the exception of Mituna, who speaks less than three hundred words anyway. "Motherfuckin'" is the word he uses the most, as seen from this codpiece-friendly wordcloud.
- The Slacker: In no small part due to his periods of zoning out.
- Slasher Smile: With his Face–Heel Turn, his partially-shown grinning smile here qualifies.
- Sober Equals Violent: But it's justified in that according to troll society's expectations of his blood caste, Gamzee as a murderous sociopath is actually more normal than as a blissed-out space case.
- Snake Oil Salesman: While peddling his "potions" to Jane.
- Split Personality: A common explanation in fandom for Gamzee's post-Freak Out! behavior. On the one hand, his writing style and proclamation of being both of the Mirthful Messiahs lends this interpretation credence; on the other, it's never been explicitly confirmed canonically, and he doesn't show any other real examples of dissociative thinking.
- Split-Personality Merge: In line with the above example, this is commonly believed to be what happened when he was calmed down by Karkat.
- The Stoner: All the potions he sells/gives to Jane are 420 Boonbucks, and that update came out around 4/20/2012.
- Stoners Are Funny: Generally, through his ramblings and moments where he spaces out.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: His trademark speech quirk when sober. The other characters even complain about it.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Subverted, in that the "evil side" may very well be his true self which was only suppressed by the ingestion of Sopor slime.
- Teeth Flying: Terezi kicks him in the face and knocks out a tooth on LOFAF.
- Theme Naming: Gamzee's Zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- Token Evil Teammate: Slaughtered several of his friends, mutilated the corpses of others, and is implied to still be working against them with the help of his even eviller ancestor.
- Totally Radical: More than half of the things he says. The rest is primarily the words "motherfucker" and "miracles".
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Faygo, like many Juggalos.
- Tuckerization: Inadvertently. Gamzee was named after a Turkish fan who had been roleplaying as him on Formspring. Her friends repeatedly suggested her name as a joke and added an e note , and Andrew assumed that it was a Meaningful Name and used it. That's right, the terrifying unstoppable killer's name means "Dimple". That does however make Gamzee the only troll with a an actual real world name.
- The Trickster: An apparently evil one. He's capricious, tempermental, and much cleverer than he seems.
- The Unreveal: Fans demanded to know Gamzee and Eridan's titles in Sgrub. When Gamzee's came up in his conversation with Dave, he'd actually forgotten half of it. The title remained this way until it was stated by Karkat to be the Bard of Rage.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Seriously, he was probably the most idealistic and friendly guy in the Troll session (outdone only by Feferi), even to the point where a number of Imps refused to attack him. Then, Dave showed him the "Miracles" video, inadvertently making a mockery of his religion, which turned him into a homicidal wreck who hunted his old friends for no reason. Even if he resembles his old self more after the Scratch, his actions show that he's not the same person he once was.
- Unstoppable Rage: Presumably his power as Bard of Rage.
- Verbal Tic: hOnK hOnK mOtHeRfUcKeR :o)
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Calls Karkat his best friend. In return, Karkat loathes him like hell. Only not really.
- Voice of the Legion: HiS uSuAl WaY oF tAlKiNg/TyPiNg sorts itself into SMALLCASE OR ALLCAPS EVERY OTHER LINE, which gamzee claims IS HIS TWO ALTERNATE PERSONALITIES. oh, and THEY'RE BOTH EVIL.
- Wall of Weapons: Jokerkind consists of stacks upon stacks of weapon cards, including ones that belong to members of The Felt and The Bunny.
- Walking Spoiler: Explaining why he's the most important character in Homestuck will lead to spoiler after spoiler, let alone explaining his behavior during sobriety.
- Western Zodiac: Capricorn.
- Wham Line: "shut up."
- To a lesser extent, "honk". Considering his previous claim that typing in all lowercase feels unnatural, seeing that one word in the picture before even looking at that troll log itself instantly indicates that something is wrong.
- Later in the act:TC: i focused on [my dark ancestral chucklevoodoos through] the rage you made me have
TC: AND I WENT AND MADE YOUR UNIVERSE...
TC: terminal. Bo)
- Wild Card: Typical of the Bard class, apparently, who UU says "are typically known for their spontaneoUs and dramatic story-altering inflUence on the fate of a party" and are sometimes known for being "single handedly responsible for their spectacUlar downfall or improbable victory. or both!" Gamzee was partially responsible for their success against the Black King and definitely a factor in their party coming unglued. UU concludes that the post-Scratch kids are probably fortunate for not having a Bard in their party.
- And then he inexplicably appears as a God Tier on LOCAH waiting for Jane. On the other hand, he seemed to have Aradia's timetables on hand, so he probably jumped to the past after the meteor arrived.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's directly responsible for the creation of Lil Cal and was used by Doc Scratch and Lord English to help destroy the Human Universe.
- He's also been manipulated by Aranea for quite some time, and only has a vague idea of what he's doing.
- Would Hit a Girl: Attacks Terezi after being released from Aranea's control after she's been stabbing him for a while (the glitched-up screen covers up the violence but somehow makes it more disturbing). It's implied that he hit her when they were blackrom partners:TEREZI: WH4T, NOW OF 4LL T1M3S YOU C4NT BR1NG YOURS3LF TO R41S3 4 H4ND TO M3?
♒ Eridan Ampora ♒
Paradox Space Appearances: "Headed for Stardom" | "Critical Miss" | "Hospitality" | "Secret Sufferer" | "Relation Shipping" | "Summerteen Romance"
You have an overpowering GENOCIDE COMPLEX, and have made it your sworn duty to KILL ALL LAND DWELLERS. You have amassed resources and deadly weaponry from around the world for this ambition through many sweeps of EXTREME ROLE PLAYING, while pursuing a working DOOMSDAY DEVICE which will bring armageddon to all those on the surface. Haven't had much luck with that, but maybe tonight's your night.A noble of the troll Nautical Aristocracy with a borderline-genocidal distaste for land dwellers which he's perfectly willing to overlook should it serve his purposes.In Sburb, he is the Prince of Hope. His trolltag is "caligulasAquarium".He has allocated his STRIFE SPECIBUS with the RIFLEKIND ABSTRATUS.
types wwith no capitalization or punctuation doubles the letters "V" and "W"
so that they look like wwavves
often drops the "G" from wwords endin in "-ing" and likes to shorten his friends names dowwn to
the first syllable
- Anime Hair: A mop of a hairdo with a purple skunk stripe.
- Anything That Moves: Eridan's continual failure at romance leads to a downward spiral of neediness and desperation that causes him to gradually regard matters of blood color, species, and crippling sociopathy as inconsequential downsides to a prospective romance partner. Although, to be fair, it was never actually confirmed whether he wanted a romantic partner or a sexual partner; he could very well be an aversion. Especially since Cronus, who represents fanon!Eridan, does mention that he is looking for concupiscent relationships.
- Ax-Crazy: He made it a point to kill his session's allied constructs despite the fact that they didn't give any grist.
- When all hope is lost, he ultimately decided to turn on his friends with the intent of stopping them from dying. Given Feferi and Sollux's objections, Eridan decides to fight them. Then, Kanaya gets in the way and is promptly defeated. His killing spree is entirely out of paranoia and has nothing to do with actual allegiance to Jack Noir, the person who he was trying to make a possible deal with in order to save them all. Of course, Eridan's plan fails.
- Back from the Dead: Prototyped with, of all people, Sollux to form Jake's sprite, Erisolsprite.
- Badass Cape: Which he wears at all times and think of him as you will, but he did manage to take on a land full of virtually-unkillable Angels on his own. He also manages to take out Sollux, Feferi, and Kanaya in a matter of seconds. Even though it is in no way justified, you have to admit, it was rather impressive. Oh, and his first appearance has him taking out a whale using his AHAB'S CROSSHAIRS without breaking a sweat.
- Bait the Dog: Originally presented as a Harmless Villain or Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain, Eridan's grandiose ambitions were easily thwarted and made fun of, like everyone thinking he's a tool. He has sympathetic moments, like when his relationships fail, and when his insecurities show. "Kanaya: Return to the Core" emphasizes this, with him being quite pitiful, showing the problems in his planet were caused by himself, and showing that in-spite of everything, he still considers Kanaya to be a good friend and wants to help her, even using animations to show him at his most awkward, ready to cry, lip quivering, etc. Then he has his Freak Out!.
- Because Destiny Says So: Why he wanted to kill all landdwellers; he thought that it was the "destiny" Dualscar passed on to him the moment he found AHAB'S CROSSHAIRS. Later on, this trope is subverted: after staying on LOWAA for an amount of time and interacting with the angels, he abandons this destiny, claiming that it was useless and that he never got any recognition for it anyway.
- Biting The Scarf: When he realizes that his caliginous feelings for Sollux are pathetically obvious.
- Black Magic: Inverted in name as "White Science" due to Eridan's insistence that belief in magic is for wrigglers, but otherwise played completely straight. Kanaya claimed to have trained him in White Sorcery to rival Rose. Or at least, she made him a light-based magic wand to shut him up. However, Light & Dark symbolism is inverted for trolls, and his "Empiricist's Wand" is entirely used to destructive ends.
- Blatant Lies: In one of his memos, Karkat accuses Eridan of still trying to kill the angels. Eridan denies it, while his AHAB'S CROSSHAIRS are in his hands.
- Blood from the Mouth: When cut, and dead.
- Break the Haughty: He tries so hard, thinking he is the best, leading him to get rejected by
every femaleeveryone he tries to hit on. Then he gets a White Wand, KO's Sollux in a possible duel to the death, and blasts Feferi to death through the chest. And that's just for starters...
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Eridan just can't seem to catch a break. He's a giant bundle of insecurities under the regal pretensions, and getting pre-emptively rejected by Feferi only to develop blackrom feelings for the guy she chose over him didn't help.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Averted when he reveals his flushed feelings for Feferi early on. They've both been carefully considering their feelings for a long time, and independently resolve that for good or ill, this night is the night upon which they each pour out their heart to the other. Unfortunately for Eridan, Feferi is emotionally burnt out from keeping him in check and staving off his constant attempts at genocide upon the lower social classes, and wants to downgrade the relationship from moirallegiance to platonic friendship.
- Clarke's Third Law: Despite his own aspirations to be a wizard, he's convinced at this point that magic is not real, and that anything that appears to be magic is just highly advanced technology. Even after Kanaya makes him a science wand, he simply proclaims himself to be a "mighty wwizard of wwhite science"
- Cluster F-Bomb: He swears quite a lot, though not as much as Gamzee.
- Les Collaborateurs: Somewhat subverted in a sense, he doesn't seek to join Jack out of a desire to get revenge on his fellow Trolls, but rather thinks that it's the only way to survive.
- Continuity Nod:
- Resembles a "lame gothy supervillian" which Dave jokingly aspires to be.
- His rifle was first seen with the Uber Bunny.
- Darkest Hour: His killing spree is part of a series of catalysts for his character's darkest hour.
- Death by Irony: Eridan blasted a hole in Kanaya's stomach, resulting in her demise. When she becomes a rainbow drinker and returns to battle, she chainsaws Eridan in half. She also wears a sash consisting of a cape he dropped earlier when fighting Sollux which covers the hole Eridan made in her stomach.
- Death World: Turns his world (Land of Wrath and Angels) into this by killing the titular angels, enraging them to the point the rest of the trolls were too scared to even consider going on it. This is a race of people who thrive on a complete Crapsack World, and they were scared shitless of his world.
- Despair Event Horizon: As the Prince of Hope, he believes he knows when there isn't any, and now? Well, the trolls have no chance whatsoever—their only option, as he sees it, is to join Noir and pray he doesn't kill them. It's reached the point where he dooms his own race to extinction, just to prove there's no hope left.
- It is later revealed that the "Prince of Hope" title can literally mean "the DESTROYER of Hope" meaning he was meant to cause this all along.
- Deus Angst Machina: In essence what happens to him over the course of Sgrub. On any other day his quest would have been his perfect power fantasy; an enemy to destroy utterly, angels of death at his command, and a world of temples dedicated to his ego. However, breaking up with Feferi makes him miss this, driving him to reprehensible behavior that isolates him and eventually leads to madness.
- Diabolical Mastermind: He aspires to be one, at least. He's plotted to wipe out all the land dwellers and Feferi feels a need to keep an eye on him and his "nefarious schemes."
- He also modeled himself after famous trolls in history, particularly the diabolical ones.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: When Feferi breaks up with him.CC: I can't look after you anymore.CA: I DIDNT EVER NEED ANYONE TO LOOK AFTER MECA: i was totally fuckin fine my ambitions were nobleCA: and really none of your fuckin business QUITE FRANKLY your majesty
- Dogged Nice Guy: Overall, Eridan zigzags this trope. He tried to be this for Feferi during their time as a moiraillegiance, and in regards to most of his friends he actually was this prior to his Freak Out!. When push comes to shove, he is more often a Nice Guy than not. However, he also was initially antagonistic towards land-dwellers. His paranoia became more rampant, which led to him thinking there was no hope left in his session. Nevertheless, he shows remorse after everything is said and done.
- Duel to the Death:
- Challenged Sollux to one offscreen earlier. It didn't wind up going anywhere.
- Before Kanaya interrupted it, he was about to engage in a duel with both Gamzee and Vriska. The "to the death" part was implied, given Gamzee and Vriska were also going to duel to the death for their own survival and because they were also Ax-Crazy.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Wears rings and a cape, but that's about the extent of his royal attire. Even without them, though, his outfit is less simple than most trolls.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Wears a lot of ringsnote .
- Expospeak Gag:
- CA: wwhatEVVER you are so the vvillage twwo wwheel devvice wwhen it comes to auspisticing
- Famous Ancestor: Orphaner Dualscar.
- Fantastic Racism: He wants to kill all land-dwellers, except some of his friends. But at this point it's probably safe to say that he absolutely sucks at being a racist. He only ever says he wants to kill all land dwellers, but he never actually goes through with it and given that he knows that Vriska's superweapon wouldn't work and doesn't care, it's probably safe to say that it's all just a charade even if he did want to do it at some point. And beside that he is genuinely friendly with Kanaya, Karkat and Gamzee and is as genuinely taken aback at Sollux' death. Up until he decides to kill them himself.
- His fish-themed moirail points out that he's practically a land-dweller himself; he's barely even spent a full day under water in his whole life.
- Fish People:CA: ok please lets just not get into the wwhole fuckin fish pun thing again ok
- Flat-Earth Atheist: What with all the time travel, psychic powers and general weirdness flying around, you'd really think Eridan would have changed his mind on magic and its nonexistence.
- Foe Yay: Has blackrom feelings for Sollux, his rival in love for Feferi. He also had a very potent rivalry with Vriska back in the day, whom he seems to still have lingering feelings for.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Best description of the energy blasts used to kill Feferi, the Matriorb, and Kanaya.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Eridan goes from this◊ to this◊ in SEVEN PAGES.
- Growing Up Sucks: A complaint he has at the end of his conversation with Kanaya.CA: kan its hardGA: WhatCA: being a kid and growwing upCA: its hard and nobody understands
- Harpoon Gun: Nothing less than Ahab's Crosshairs, which were seen earlier with the robot bunny. A miniaturized version, anyway. It's used as a sort of Lightning Gun/Ray Gun however.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: A particularly unexpected Face–Heel Turn happened with very little foreshadowing in Act 5. With Eridan's death, his story arc had not been immediately resolved. He was made into Erisolsprite with Sollux, which gave him a second chance. As Erisolsprite, he's displayed himself to be genuinely remorseful, and it's implied that even Feferi's half of Fefetasprite forgives him.
- High Collar of Doom
- Hopeless Suitor: In every quadrant, though he pines mostly for black romance.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The thought that Jack Noir- who had killed or tried to kill everyone he came across- would spare him if Eridan offered him allegiance is unlikely at best.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: And he keeps getting rejected.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: As Feferi points out, none of his plots to kill the land dwellers ever succeed, and every doomsday device he gets his hand on is a piece of junk.
- Insistent Terminology: Magic isn't real. He practices science.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For a guy who wanted to kill all land-dwellers, he certainly put a lot of work into saving them.
- Then his jealousy turns into hatred which ultimately makes him a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk...
- ... but after having caused so much mayhem during his killing spree, he seems genuinely remorseful for his actions as Erisolsprite.
- Knight of Cerebus: Killing off two of his fellow trolls — and two of the most unambiguously good trolls, to boot — sent Eridan firmly into Knight of Cerebus territory. Especially because it's when the trolls hit their Darkest Hour.
- Knight Templar: His ulterior motives all hinge around the concept of hope, and he was planning on joining Jack because his friends would otherwise be doomed. But he takes this way too far. He decides that hope is his to do with as he wishes. As such, he destroys the Matriorb, the troll race's only hope of further propagation.
- Lady and Knight: Was Feferi's knight before they broke up.
- Large Ham: He deliberately attempts to craft an image for himself as a legendary conquerer through exaggerated emotional theatrics. But it backfires; people just think he's a tool.
- (F)LARP: Through his character Orphaner Dualscar.
- Leitmotif: Eridan's Theme (Now with lyrics from General Ivan.)
- Lethal Joke Character: Becomes this, in-universe. His romantic failures and social buffoonery were meant to mask much of his true dangerousness. Confirmed by Word of God to be what was intended.
- Light Is Not Good: Wielding white science to heroine Rose's black magic. Don't forget, light/dark symbolism is reversed for trolls.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Eridan just can't win on any quadrant. Feferi didn't really reciprocate his feelings, Vriska just got bored of their rivalry, his attempts to start a new rivalry with Sollux are painfully obvious and fall flat, Rose responded to his clumsy flirtation by blowing up his computer, and Jade flatly only tolerated him long enough for him to leave her alone.
- Oh, and Terezi doesn't want to auspistice between him and Sollux, Karkat wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole, Equius is made uncomfortable by his advances (though in which quadrant, it's not specified), and his own client player Nepeta spectacularly failed to fall in love with him for saving her life in the same way Feferi did with Sollux.
- Love Hurts: Jerk that he is, it's hard not to feel bad for him when Feferi breaks up with him.
- Meaningful Name:
- Eridanos was the name of a river in ancient Athens which symbolizes Aquarius, while Ampora is likely from amphora, a vessel used for carrying, among other things, water, in Ancient Grome.
- If you shorten it, it becomes Eri' 'pora.
- His FLARP character, Orphaner Dualscar, kills custodians to feed Feferi's lusus.
- His title of "Prince of Hope" was for the longest time considered ironic due to this eventual actions, until UU revealed that the "Prince of x" is "one who destroys x, or caUses destrUction throUgh x". In other words, Eridan is literally the Destroyer of Hope.
- The first part of his chumhandle ties not only into his role as The Caligula but also according to Word of God to his dark romantic obsessions via the caliginous quadrant.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His planet. Anybody up for a trip to the Land of Wrath and Angels?
- Nerd Glasses: Eridan's glasses serve to make him look like a stereotypical Hipster.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He killed the local game constructs of his world, and then kept doing so, enraging them and turning it into a Death World that the other trolls were araid to even set foot on.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He tells Feferi that, as the Prince of Hope, he is most qualified to tell them when there is not hope left for them, which leads to him attempting to try to join Jack.
- The Nicknamer: While talking to the trolls he addresses them by the first 3 letters of their names (Fef for Feferi, Kar for Karkat, Ter for Terezi and so on).
- Not Good with Rejection: His reaction to Feferi breaking it off is just the start of his downward spiral.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Initially, he's portrayed as a harmless comic-relief butt-monkey villain whose plans aren't really serious. Then snaps and murders or seriously injures a third of the Troll cast within the space of a few pages.
- Ominous Opera Cape
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Intentionally. When he's about to reveal his feelings for Feferi to her, he stops typing in his "wweird accent" to show that he's serious.
- Perpetual Frowner: He is the only one out of the main trolls to not be seen smiling.
- Pet the Dog: After finding out that he's a genocidal, serial-killer of trolls and their lusii (to feed Vriska & Feferi's lusii) in his introduction, you find out that he knows exactly how to kill off all the land dwellers. But he won't do it because it would make Feferi upset.
- It's also implied that the reason that he was the one killing the lusii instead of Feferi was because doing so would also make her upset.
- As Erisolsprite, when forced into meeting Fefetasprite, he does his best to genuinely apologize for killing half of her. It doesn't work out perfectly due to the situation, but she accepts his apology regardless.
- It's also implied that the reason that he was the one killing the lusii instead of Feferi was because doing so would also make her upset.
- Pirate: Used to play Flarp as a seagrift, and was on-and-off an ally with Vriska.
- Purple Is the New Black: He wears fancy royal-purple clothes, and in regards to the trope's second meaning as a signifier of an ineffectual villain it's pointed out that all his plans to kill land-dwellers never work, he spends more time on land (or at least above the sea) than in the ocean, and doesn't even have enough rage to hate the soda that littered his beloved shore.
- Royal Blood: Kickass royal blood, as he calls it. It's penultimate on the hemospectrum, second in their group only to Feferi's.
- Royal Brat: Easily the least reasonable Troll to deal with. Most of the other Trolls can't stand him because of this.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Wears one.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His glasses are covered by shadow just after his fight with Sollux, contrasting with their nerdier appearance earlier.
- Self-Defeating Prophecy: Tries to join Jack Noir because, as he sees it, there's nothing left worth fighting for...and a few pages later, he's killed Feferi and destroyed the Matriorb- the trolls' last hope for recreating their species.
- Shout-Out: Couldn't you already tell from the glasses, the scarf, or the lightning bolt-shaped horns and mark on his head? Oh, and he likes magic.
- Also, when you first see him for real, he's Hunting a White Whale. With a gun named Ahab's Crosshairs.
- Could be a coincidence, but he is an egomaniac who wears purple and models himself after historical conquerors, who causes a huge, squidlike monster to give off a psychic shockwave that kills millions of people. His good intentions drive the comparison home, too.
- He's also a renaissance man who is trying to get his ex-girlfriend back from a nerdy loser. Heck, one flash even had the two fighting in Scott Pilgrim style sprites.
- He's a white wizard who loses hope in the fight against a seemingly-unstoppable opponent and decides to switch sides.
- Skunk Stripe: A purple tuft in the middle. Though the fact that his hair has any color at all is pretty notable as far as trolls are concerned — and what's more, he was apparently born that way.
- Small Name, Big Ego: While he's highly ranked in the hemospectrum, this seems to have colored everything about him. His Royal Blood means he knows best about everything, whether or not he actually has any clue whatsoever. For example, killing some of his planet's local game constructs until they were so fed up they were attacking him and any other troll who visited, despite them not dropping any grist. When Karkat calls him on that specific bit of idiocy, he agrees it was silly of him... then two sentences later he seems to have forgotten that lesson, and is talking about how hard it was to kill them and how he can't believe no one came to help him.
- Teens Are Monsters: At age thirteen he has (so far) killed countless troll lusii, the "angels" from his planet (most likely peaceful game constructs), two close friends, and an egg housing what would have helped repopulate the troll race. He could be the page image, alongside Vriska.
- Theme Naming: Eridan's Zodiac sign is Aquarius.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Made a personal decision to this effect by the opening of Return to Core. By then, Eridan has utterly given up on everything except survival and is perfectly willing to murder all trollkind if doing so would get him out of his current situation.
- The Millstone: His actions in the Medium were....less than helpful, despite his intentions. Slaughtering the angels on his planet which only served to make said planet inhospitable for visitors, flirting with most of the other trolls which even Equius was put off by, antagonizing Sollux in hopes of messing up Sollux and Feferi's relationship, generally trying to keep Alternia's toxic social ideas alive while everyone else was moving on....then he goes and murders/maims his friends and destroys the matriorb.
- The Social Darwinist: A mix of types 2 and 4. He mostly uses the caste system as an excuse to be a jerk, but his attempt to bring Feferi (and no one else) with him when he defects implies that he really does believe in highblood superiority.
- Trigger Happy: Enough to keep killing some of his planet's local unkillable game constructs.
- Unsound Effect: His corpse gives off the word DEAD.
- Verbal Tic: Not as pronounced as Feferi, but, being an aquatic troll, he occasionally uses "glub", too.
- Violet Blood: The second-highest on the hemospectrum, as a matter of fact.
- Warrior Prince: Not that this is especially unusual on Alternia, where everyone from the royalty down is raised to fight.
- Western Zodiac: Aquarius.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Possible; he seemed to have gone Grimdark for a second right before his murder spree kicked into overdrive.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In a way. He seems to treat Sgrub as a First-Person Shooter rather than staying true to its pseudo-RPG format—he spent most of his time in the game blowing angels up, instead of trying to make nice with them and learning more about his land and his heroic destiny as he was supposed to.
- In aspect terms, Eridan thought being the Prince of Hope means knowing whether hope exists or not, and having pure mastery of the aspect. But there are two sides of the Hope aspect: one who destroys using hope, and one who destroys hope. Eridan's total despair made him the latter.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Believed this about Jack, saying that the trolls were all doomed to be killed anyway and the only way to avoid this was to join him. This attitude is partly what led to his Start of Darkness
- You Will Be Spared: Says so to Kanaya as she's one of the few land dwellers he likes and will put up with him.CA: im not goin to vvery wwell kill you am i that wwould be fuckin unconscionableCA: wwhat kind of friend wwould i be
♓ Feferi Peixes ♓
Paradox Space Appearances: "Headed for Stardom" | "A Friend In Need" | "Secret Sufferer" | "Star of the Ocean" | "Spritecon" | "Relation Shipping" | "Summerteen Romance"
You would redefine what it means to be CULLED in troll society. Under your rule it would mean caring for the unfit and infirm rather than exterminating them, and you have put this idea into practice by CULLING THE FAUNA OF THE DEEP. You tend to wild and beautiful AQUATIC HOOFBEASTS, grooming and feeding them daily. You capture and cage CUTTLEFISH by the thousands for their own good, and also because they are funny and colorful and you love them. They often swim through the bars of their cages, but that is fine. You run your whole palace as a sort of WILDLIFE ADOPTION FACILITY, even if the wildlife's need for care is dubious at best, and the practice really just amounts to an elaborate ROLE PLAYING SCENARIO. It's still fun though.The sea-dwelling heiress apparent to the throne of the Alternian Empire, she is determined to one day make a better life for trollkind.In Sburb, she is the Witch of Life. Her trolltag is "cuttlefishCuller".She has allocated her STRIFE SPECIBUS with the 2x3DENTKIND ABSTRATUS.
Types by replacing t)(e letter "H" wit)( reverse ordered parent)(eses to make them look like t)(e Pisces
symbol, and places )(yp)(ens in front of capital ——E's to create TRID-ENTS!
38D S)(e uses smilies wit)( curly )(orns and goggles, makes fishy puns, and LOV-ES to say t)(e word
"glub". Glub glub glub! 38)
- Action Girl: Like the other highbloods, she's physically very strong, despite seeming to be the thinnest out of all the trolls.
- All Girls Like Sea Ponies
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Previously in a relationship with Eridan, a wannabe villain who later Face Heel Turns and becomes a real villain. Currently in a relationship with Sollux and seems to find his grouchy, negative side attractive.
- Subverted in Eridan's case: it was those very "bad boy" traits that eventually drove her away from him.
- All-Loving Hero: Reflected in her mythological role, which allows her to heal others, and her assortment of creatures she cares for.
- Abusive Alien Lusii: Fef seems to have a real affection for her lusus, but she's an Eldritch Abomination miles long, and can cause an X-4 apocalypse if she gets extremely hungry and any voice above a whisper causes trolls to start dying. Though it's hardly Gl'bgolyb's fault that her voice just happens to be a Brown Note to trolls and she was more than willing to sacrifice her life to help Feferi to safety. This is in stark contrast to Vriska, who has a similar deal but her giant spider will make sure to put HER on the menu should she not keep the food on the table.
- Animal Motifs: Sea creatures, mostly cephalopods like cuttlefish.
- Art Evolution: Averted. Her sprite in Kanaya's walkaround is the same one from Karkat's, meaning that it looks quite out of style compared to the other greatly improved talksprites used by the other trolls.
- Back from the Dead: Prototyped into Roxy's sprite with Nepeta.
- Better as Friends: When Eridan finally reveals his feelings for her, she politely rejects him, much to his disappointment, but she says they should still be friends. This does NOT end well for her or Eridan.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's very hard to piss off, but doing so makes her fly into a rage that can really only be stopped by ending her life. Beyond that, she's easily the nicest troll, but even then you still have to put up with her being very unsettling at times.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: With Eridan and later Sollux.
- Character Development: For someone destined to rule it, she accepts the destruction of Alternia and Alternian culture very well. She also becomes more and more unhinged as the session goes on.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: More than most trolls, considering her lusus is an Eldritch Abomination that is capable of killing her entire species if its voice ever gets above a whisper (and it does). Compared to that, all the other Horror-Terrors Of The Furthest Ring are nothing.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Feferi has no issue with Horrorterrors at all. They're FRI—ENDLY!
- Dissonant Serenity: Even as her friends start to split off into various parts of the lab, Feferi seems oddly calm about the whole ordeal.
- She quite happily accepts her death and even has a casual conversation with Jade before just blurting out that she's dead.
- Double Weapon: ΨDON'snote ENTENTE, a DOUBLE CULLING FORK.
- Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: She goes out of her way to help others.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Wears goggles and a headband, even though neither are needed for her to live underwater.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Her preeminent blood makes her heir apparent to the Alternian empress.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: She's decked out in it.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Her pet cuttlefish, which she keeps by the thousands because they are funny and colorful and she loves them. Also her lusus, a very Cephalopod-like Eldritch Abomination.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The first thing she's seen doing is culling cuttlefish (though it turns out she has a different definition of "culling" than we do).
- Fish People: She is an aquatic troll.
- Foreshadowing: She did say she was D-----EAD, after all.
- Also, the title is said to challenge the player. So why would a title like Witch of Life challenge her unless she were to die?
- Her room intro, especially her treatment of cuttlefish, shows just how well she'll run Beforus.
- Fuchsia Blood: The highest on the hemospectrum.
- Genki Girl: She's very -EXCIT-ED! about Sgrub, and everything in general.
- Goggles Do Nothing: She wears them mostly because they're cool.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: How Bec Noir kills her dreamself.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Like with Jade, just of her dream self, though her purpose was to show that the gods of the furthest ring weren't dangerous. Bites her in the ass when she's killed by Eridan.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Eridan, using his wand.
- Ironic Death: In the sense that the Witch of Life is dead. Also, she's the last sign of the zodiac, and she likely dies first after the Troll session ends. Compare to Aradia, who was the first sign of the zodiac, and died before the session started... but recovered.
- Healing Hands: The power of an Alternate Timeline Feferi who went God Tier. In a dreambubble, she heals WV's injuries, showing that physical wounds are consistent in dreambubble and out of them.
- Kindly Vet: Rescues sea animals and helps them get better.
- Leitmotif: Keepers, originally shared with Eridan, and now Love You (Feferi's Theme).
- Mama Bear: Mess with her friends and you'll be on the wrong end of a very, VERY angry fish troll and her 2x3dent. Not that there's a right side, really.
- Manic Peixes Dream Girl: Her relationship with Eridan was a deconstruction of this trope: she tried to make him happy and get him to open up, but Eridan's refusal to contribute emotionally to their moirallegiance broke it down. She may also be this trope for Sollux.
- Meaningful Name: Feferi is a corrupted form of pfefferi, a poisonous species of cuttlefish. Peixes is Portugese for Pisces (and just plain 'fishes', for that matter).
- Morality Chain: The main reason Eridan hasn't implemented a plan to kill all land-dwellers yet? It would upset Feferi. Their breakup leaves Eridan with little else besides his genocidal fantasies to latch onto.
- Mood-Swinger: As seen in her conversations with Eridan and Sollux, and tendency to switch to capslock at the slightest provocation. She's sweet, but has quick flashes of anger. note
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Her smile is... unnerving.
- Nice Girl: Believes in Troll equality, which is something nigh-unheard of on her planet (and may qualify her as Wide-Eyed Idealist).
- Nightmare Face: "Because, Stupid! I'm D-----EAD!" For those who only want to read about it, imagine Feferi's usual creepy smile with Prophet Eyes.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She doesn't seemed bothered by the Horrorterrors while asleep, unlike Jade, Karkat, and most of the readers, and cheerfully tries to convince the others that said Horrorterrors are harmless and even friendly.
- Justified: Her lusus was the emissary of said Horrorterrors, so falling asleep is more like visiting family to her.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Because of Feferi being raised the way she was, there are a lot of things she considers normal that even manage to weird out the other trolls, with eldritch abominations just being one of them. Feferi can easily switch from being one of the most adorable trolls to the most creepy, within TWO PANELS of each other. To her she's just being friendly in her own unusual way.
- Nightmare Retardant: Invoked, after all, Feferi is a fish alien, so what other expression would she have on her face in death than that of a dead fish?
- No Pronunciation Guide: While this is a problem with all of the trolls, Feferi has it the worst. For the record, it's fuh-FERRY PAY-shus according to Word of God.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Among the Trolls, she shares Rose's trait of knowing the most about the Horrorterrors, considering she was raised by one. Plus she makes it so that Jade can communicate with the Trolls via dream bubbles, something the living would not normally be able to do on their own without being God Tier and physically inside the bubbles. So yeah, things are starting to pay off for her even though she's dead.
- Oblivious to Love: To the point of cheerfully teasing Eridan about who he might have red feelings for. Turns out, she got sick of putting up with Eridan's crap especially when he decided to show up in Sollux' land just to start a fight with him over Feferi.
- Out of Focus: Aside from Nepeta and Equius, who are legendarily Those Two Guys, Feferi has suffered the most out of the Trolls in terms of screentime. Even her plot critical dream meetings have mostly occurred offpanel.
- Politically Active Princess: Feferi is, to quote a tumblr user, a radical reformist heir apparent to the imperial crown, whose predecessor has already signed her death warrant and who, given a chance, intends to take the throne by force.
- The Pollyanna: Easily the most optimistic of all the trolls. She's -EXCIT-ED about just about everything, is one of the first to step up with the suggestion that they should help the kids instead of trolling them, is absolutely positive the horrorterrors are not dangerous in the slightest, and is quick to reassure everyone that their friends starting to become scarce is not a big deal. Not even death really does anything to dampen her spirit.
- Precision F-Strike: "What the FUCK did I just SAY!?"
- Prongs of Poseidon: The first kind.
- Pungeon Master: Loves fish-puns in particular.CC: Will you just clam up for once in your life?
CC: Always carping and carping and carping!
CC: You go completely overboard with your emotions, always looking to reel in drama wherever you can.
CC: I am up to my gills in it! I just can't salmon the strength anemonemore.
CA: i cannot
CA: you are doin the fish pun thing while youre breakin up with me
CA: real nice
CA: whoops i mean REEL nice
- Rapunzel Hair: Slightly in canon, but taken Up to 11 by the fandom.
- Rebellious Princess: Has big plans for social reform. See Politically Active Princess above.
- Royal Blood: Her blood color is unique to her and the current Empress, her ancestor.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The kind of leader she aspires to be.
- However in Sburb she becomes decidedly more low key and is content with Karkat and Aradia leading the Trolls around.
- Ship Tease: With Sollux shortly after the game begins. Later they spend their time together talking about their feelings.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Alpha Feferi, who establishes the dream bubbles. Aside from that, she's killed off fairly quickly and doesn't even have much development in the dreambubbles. Her Alternate Timeline selves, however, played much bigger roles in their sessions.
- Super Strength: As trolls get higher on the hemospectrum their natural strength increases while psychic ability decreases. Being the highest she possibly can be on the spectrum, she can pull a whale with ease underwater and leap out of the water several hundred feet.
- Theme Naming: Feferi's Zodiac sign is Pisces.
- Token Heroic Highblood: She (and Equius, to a lesser extent) seem to exist partly to assure the audience that not all highbloods are crazy.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She was a very idealistic character who wanted to create a more equal and just Troll society, yet was murdered before she was able to carry out any of her plans.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Thanks to character development, she shows a more jerkish side, possibly because she doesn't feel the need to be tactful around her friends anymore. Not to say she's still not the nicest troll around, but it is comparable to how Jade is also becoming more unwound.
- Torso with a View: A hole was blasted in her chest by Eridan.
- Troll: Pretends to be depressed to mess with Vriska in Alterniabound. It works.
- Undignified Death: Her dream self's death. Yes, she had every intention of sticking around for a front row seat of the destruction of Derse. No, she probably doesn't realize what Jack likes to do when there's main characters about. And as for her actual death, she doesn't even get a step into her charge before Eridan blows a hole right through her chest, killing her instantly. Granted, considering dying has done nothing to lower her spirits to the point where she's able to proclaim she's dead with a huge grin on her face, she herself doesn't exactly treat her death with any dignity.
- Unstoppable Rage: As hard to piss off as she is, it's only natural that when she DOES get angry, she means business.
- Verbal Tic: Glub glub glub glub glub!
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: She's typically very kind. That doesn't keep her from mocking Eridan and calling Jade a retard.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: As demonstrated in the A1 Universe, her Perfect Pacifist People style of ruling would leave her people unprepared for danger. This is part of what caused the A1 session to fail, the other part being time shenanigans resulting in a glitch in the game.
- Western Zodiac: Pisces.
> Go Back
> Return to main page