Characters: Homestuck Sprites
- Maimed Clown. Undead Cat. Impaled Crow. Omnipotent Dog. These four shall be held in reverence for the eternity they serve to cut short.—A book in the library of the Battlefield's white castle, [S] Seer: Descend.
All the sprites are examples of:
- Back from the Dead: A sprite uses the form and memories of a deceased individual to create a trustworthy companion for its owner. Based off the ultimate fate of Jadesprite, it seems that prototyping a corpse as sprite actually brings it back to life, as Jadesprite serves as a living dream self for Jade's ascension to God Tier.
- Color-Coded Characters: Their colors are close to that of their player's. Later, we find out that their colors are the same that each player's corresponding Post-Scratch counterpart uses. The sole exceptions are Nannasprite, whose associated shade of blue is darker than Jane's (outside of text color), and Jaspersprite, who is slightly purpler than Roxy.
- Crutch Character: Sprites protect a young, inexperienced player from harm when they first enter the game, but a player must eventually leave them behind. It is possible to bring them back later, but as equals rather than betters. And it seems in normal sessions they ultimately die as well.
- Exposition Fairy: To a limited extent. It seems like this is a role they share with a land's Consorts in a normal session, but the trolls largely take over the exposition role by Acts 4 & 5.
- Nannasprite and Jaspersprite introduce John and Rose to their myth arcs early on.
- Davesprite subverts the trope. He doesn't say much about Dave's arc to him on camera and actually goes and takes care of some of it himself behind the scenes when it doesn't look like Dave is going to.
- Jadesprite averts it entirely by being completely useless; Tavrisprite averts it by being Driven to Suicide immediately.
- Metamorphosis: All kernelsprites can be prototyped twice. The first time sets a form, and the second melds new traits into the sprite. As mentioned above, prototypings done before entry also applies to the monarchs and, in Mix-and-Match Critters form, to the imps and other monsters of the game.
- Mon: Type 2, at least until no longer needed as a Crutch Character. Once a player climbs their echeladder, they get a medallion which can be used to summon them, and the by time characters are ready for God Tier, they wander off and fade into the background, having served their purpose as a guide.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: The powers of a kernelsprite are ill-defined, but one thing they seem to universally have is a beam attack, often augmented by summoned objects. A few have displayed other random powers at opportune times. Nannasprite can act as The Medic, Jaspersprite has Tentacle Ropes, and Davesprite ...can deface posters from a distance (though Nanna did something similar with her beams).
- Out of Focus: You can count the appearances of sprites in later acts on one hand and have fingers left over. Nannasprite is the only one who gets any significant amount of screentime.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: They are game constructs rather than proper ghosts (except for the ones who were ghosts to start with). It's notable that they show more properties of traditional ghosts than actual ghosts in the setting do.
- Fog Feet: All sprites have a ghostly tail instead of feet.
- Intangible Man: Nannasprite and Jaspersprite can float through walls and leave behind an ectoplasm trail when they do. Unfortunately, they can't take things with them. We don't know if sprites prototyped from the living can do this or if it's just the "undead" ones.note
- Spirit Advisor: They explain what the kids must do on their journey...
Pre Scratch Human Session Sprites
John Egbert's sprite. Rose Tier-1 prototyped it with a giant maimed harlequin doll. After entering, the Harlequinsprite accidentally Tier-2 prototyped itself by knocking over the urn containing the ashes of Nanna, John's grandmother who was killed thirteen years earlier in the meteor collision which brought John to Earth. While certainly wise and helpful, she does strongly lean toward pranking everyone and everything.Her Post-Scratch incarnation is Jane Crocker.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: Is killed by John's meteor on her 86th birthday. She is prototyped and therefore revived on her 99th, just in time for all three of her children to die, later discovering the corpse of the one who didn't come back to life.
- Cool Old Lady
- Eye Beams: A Shale Imp winds up on the wrong end of this when trying to steal cookies. They can also be used to levitate objects, heal people and write.
- Familiar: She's obviously tied to John, and gives him advice and aids him in combat. She fits the role of one, at least, the other Sprites are similar in nature.
- Fan Nickname: "Nannaquin," after the music theme of the same name.
- Healing Hands: She has minor versions of her Post-Scratch Self's powers, as do all the other parents. In this case, Life powers.
- The Hyena: HOOOOOOOOOOOO HOO HOO HOO!
- Leitmotif: Nannaquin.
- Like Brother and Sister: Betty Crocker tells Nana that she and Grandpa were supposed to get married but it's not clear if they ever felt like anything other than siblings.
- However, Betty Crocker's words make sense in a way after Nanna's death, when Nanna and Grandpa are mixed Ectobiologically, creating John and Jade.
- Mission Control: For John, after he gets past the first gate.
- Mrs. Exposition: She finally explains to us what the eff was going on after the house got hit by a meteor and transported to a different dimension.
- My Future Self and Me: With the arrival of the battleship, Jane and Nanna are the only Sburb player(s) to have both of their pre/post-scratch incarnations alive in the same universe simultaneously.
- Never Mess with Granny: Despite being old, dead, and ghostly, she's pretty badass.
- Outliving One's Offspring: She has all three of her children die within hours of each other, on the very same day she was ressurected. Two of them come back as pseudo-immortal gods, she finds the corpse of the other, and in the retconned timeline she only has her daughter left after the native instance of John is killed when LOWAS explodes.
- Posthumous Character: For Act 1 and most of Act 2.
- The Prankster: Gets the best of John despite how you cannot hope to defeat him in a prank-off. He is simply the best there is.
- Put on a Bus: When John lost her summoning pendent, she mostly lost any ability to appear in the story outside of increasingly-rare cuts to what's happening at his house; and unlike some of the other sprites, she has no way to talk remotely. She doesn't seem to mind, though.
- She is finally out of the house and is shown alongside the other sprites after Jake awakens to his page of Hope powers.
- Strong Family Resemblance: When she was younger, she looked a hell of a lot like Jade with different glasses and hairstyle. It's implied that John and Jade take after her equally, with Jade leaning towards her father and John his mother, though the sprites leave this up to interpretation.
- Summon Magic She could summon ovens to fire energy beams and streams of cookies and those spring-snake things that pop out of novelty joke cans.
- Supreme Chef: At least John seems to love her home cooking, and she has his Dad's love of random baking.
- Trickster Mentor: Being prototyped with a harlequin doll will do that to you, but considering her upbringing and ownership of a joke shop prior to her death, she may well have been like that even without the harlequin doll's influence!
- You Can't Fight Fate: She claims that no matter what John and his friends do, the world will end. At this point, it already has.
Rose Lalonde's sprite, and the only sprite double-prototyped before a player's entry. It was prototyped with the taxidermied corpse of Jaspers, her long-dead cat from childhood, and the eldritch princess doll Rose made from one of Mom's passive-aggressive gifts. He doesn't know much, because he's a cat.During his time as a cat, he disappeared from Rose's life due to Roxy's fooling around with her appearifier. She then adopted him, naming him Frigglish after one of her mother's wizard characters. She was very attached to him, until she accidentally killed him during an appearifier experiment.
- Adorable Abomination: He's ridiculously sweet when the time calls for it.
- Animalistic Abomination: Courtesy of being tier 2-prototyped with an eldritch princess doll.
- Call Back: Had his final resting place invaded and his body removed only for it to end up prototyped along the way, all thanks to Rose. He later returns the favor to her pre-retcon iteration after John takes LOWAS back to the retconned B2 session.
- Cat Smile: Not only does Jaspers have a cat face, the :3 shows up in his Spritelogs.
- Catch Phrase: (He) doesn't know much because (he's) a cat, along with a trio of purrs.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Turns out his disappearance meant he traveled to the Post-Scratch Universe, where he spent time with Roxy, until he died in an accident involving a book, a teleporter, a suspicious perfectly white cat, and a misguided notion to prove something.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Being just a cat and having all that Sprite knowledge dumped on him makes him especially hard to understand.
- Foregone Conclusion: Between his Meaningful Rename, the fact that he was a corpse when he returned to the Beta timeline, and Roxy's freakout over the successful Appearification of the unabridged Sassacre's, his demise could be seen coming a mile off.
- Freudian Couch: Young Rose, being a fan of psychiatry, often held psychoanalysis sessions with Jaspers while he was alive.
- Furry Reminder: He's a cat, so it's pretty much destined for him to get involved in some corpse shenanigans, for example digging up pre-retcon Rose's grave and prototyping her in Roxy's kernelsprite.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Jaspersprite is one of the tallest kernelsprites shown, following only Becsprite when he trails his long ghost tail behind him. Compared him to Rose here.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: He's the only B1 sprite who hasn't been prototyped with a human.
- Leitmotif: The aptly-named Chorale for Jaspers, though it was bootstrapped into being one of Rose's themes.
- Meaningful Funeral: Despite what Rose thinks, her mother's elaborate ways of mourning the deceased Jaspers were genuine.
- Meaningful Rename: Roxy names him Frigglish, after a wizard character in her mother's book series. Said wizard got crushed by a giant book.
- Mentor Mascot: Subverted. Jaspers was Rose's pet first and doesn't consider it his place to tell her what to do, i.e. to follow her quest, and when he does suggest things to her, he's too childlike to explain it properly. This is a factor in why she goes Off the Rails.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: After being prototyped with the Eldritch Princess, he gains tentacles while retaining a cat face.
- Monster Progenitor: Not only did he provide Rose with the MEOW code that helped create Bec, but he's also the most likely candidate of being God Cat's ectobiological father.
- Morality Pet: For Rose. He's one of the few people she openly shows warmth towards. When she leaves him behind, it's a subtle but important step onto the path which leads her to becoming a pawn of Doc Scratch and the Horrorterrors.
- Likewise with Roxy, who immediately freaks out when he dies.
- My Future Self and Me: Assuming Jaspersprite survived the trip across the yellow yard in the retconned timeline, there are now two alpha instances of him in the B2 session due to him staying on LOWAS as it was taken into the void and out again.
- Posthumous Character: For the first three acts, at least.
- Put on a Bus: Rose gave him her old laptop and let him go off and chat with Nepeta to his heart's content.
- The Bus Came Back: We get to see one of those conversations near the end of Act 5. Then afterwards he was taken with Rose's land by Jade. He appears in the Post-Scratch Universe in Act 6, taken from before he became a sprite and now his sprite form has been seen on the battleship with John and Jade.
- The Bus Came Back again when it turned out he only went and stowed away on LOWAS when John played the Breeze and as a result is unaffected by the Cosmic Retcon just like Roxy (and Rose's corpse). He shows up to comfort Roxy at Rose's funeral, showing that he did indeed care about Roxy.
- Replacement Scrappy: In Universe usage; he was never as fond of Roxy as he was of Rose, though he grew to love her in time.
- Talking Animal: After being prototyped.
- Tentacle Rope: They're very good as catching things from a distance, as shown when Jaspersprite was first shown. Surprisingly enough, his digging abilities are not hindered in the slightest.
- Rose also reveals that non-sprite Jaspers told her a "stunning SECRET" just before he disappeared. Then subverted when the "stunning SECRET" was later revealed to be "MEOW", and doubly subverted when said "MEOW" unlocked strings of mismatched letters M, E, O, and W in Rose's subconscious that connect with the base pairs G, C, A, and T. When the combination of pairs is spliced into another creature's DNA, it will give them powers just short of a GOD.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Lalondes, so much that he attempted to revive his fallen owner from the pre-retcon timeline and created Rosesprite, to Rose's utter amusement and Vriska's immense frustration.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ends up being prototyped with Rose's Kernelsprite, which in turn is then prototyped with Rose's Eldritch Princess doll, creating Eldritch Princess Jaspers.
- Wingding Eyes: As a corpse.
Davesprite/Alternate Future Dave
Dave Strider's sprite. In one of her fits of dream-cloudcuckoolandery, Jade Tier-1 prototyped with a recently-slain crow accidentally impaled with a katana. Shortly after Dave's entry, another Dave from a Bad Future travelled back in time to cause things to happen properly, and then Tier-2 prototyped himself. Davesprite is obviously quite similar to Dave in personality, but having spent four months dealing with the deaths of his friends in his Bad Future made him slightly more emotional than Dave.In the Bad Future whence he came, future-Dave had Tier-2 prototyped Lil Cal instead, an act he perpetually regretted. In the alpha reality, Dave was about to do that, but the arrival of future-Dave prevented that from happening.
- Always Someone Better: If you thought the original Dave had self-esteem issues, Davesprite is this for himself. Davesprite can't help but compare himself to the "real" Dave.
- DAVESPRITE: nobody really deserves bird dave as a boyfriend or a friend or anything its like getting one of the janky daves from the bargain bin at the dave depotDAVESPRITE: or one of the marked down daves the day after national dave dayDAVESPRITE: its like somebody taxedermized your dave and expected you not to notice
- Alien Blood: He bleeds orange (the same color as his text), maintaining his mostly monochrome look just like Jadesprite cries green tears. Oddly, despite missing a wing, this blood is absent at the site where he lost it to Jack.
- Cloning Blues/Clones Are People Too: Zigzagged. On the one hand, he does a lot of stuff independently of Alpha Dave, the other characters treat him as a person, and Jade even dates him for a while. On the other hand, the everyone including Davesprite still tend to think of Alpha Dave as the "real" Dave and Davesprite as the knock-off.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Here. No pun intended.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Future!Dave is already awesomely Bad Ass in his own right, but gains some spiffy new abilities after merging with his present self's kernelsprite.
- Informed Ability: That he demonstrates all of once, off panel where no member of the cast could see.
- Fan Nickname: ExCaliBird.
- Also, Seppukrow (or Seppucrow), which Dave used in an actual page.
- Future Badass
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: His default state as a result of being prototyped with the impaled crow.
- After his defeat by Bec Noir, he's missing his sprite form's sword and has a bandaged, bleeding wound in the place where it would normally go.
- Insistent Terminology: He gets quite peeved if you imply he's not the real Dave. At first, anyway.
- Killed Off for Real: Died when LOWAS exploded while he and a doomed version of John were shrunken down on it.
- Leitmotif: Davesprite.
- Not Quite Dead/Disney Death: A conversation between Dave & Terezi in Act 5 and both feathers and his pendant left at the site of their duel led people to believe that he was killed along with Bro after Jack Noir was prototyped with Bec. However, he shows up later in Act 5 on the Battlefield with a bandaged, bleeding torso and missing a wing. By a year into John and Jade's trip across the "yellow yard", he's completely healed. It's later subverted when he dies a few days after Cascade in the post-retcon timeline when he is on LOWAS when it explodes.
- Not So Stoic: If he's genuinely upset at something, it will actually show in his conversations with the other characters. He's far more sincere with his emotions than Alpha Dave.
- Which may have to do with the fact that he just arrived from a Bad Future where his best friend and another good friend died.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: "caw caw motherfuckers"
- Also a Pre Ass Kicking One Liner.
- Time Travel: Hooo boy.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Living beings from a doomed timeline are destined to be slaughtered within a short period of time. Pre-retcon, Davesprite managed to evade this by prototyping himself but after the retcons began he was killed in the explosion of LOWAS shortly after the trip through the Yellow Yard began.
Tropes which apply specifically to Calsprite:
- Annoying Laugh: Calsprite's laugh was certainly annoying to Future!Dave, although it likely had more to do with the fact that Calsprite did nothing but laugh.
- Awesome but Impractical: Calsprite is incredibly powerful, but he doesn't shut. the. fuck. up.
- Bad Future: Future!Dave seemed to think 4 months of time looping with him was a living hell.
- Breath Weapon: He could fire hundreds of naked smuppets out of his gaping puppety maw with a beam attack.◊
- Demonic Dummy
- The Hyena
- Laughing Mad
Jade Harley's sprite, and the source of both the problems facing the kids and trolls and one of their solutions to the problems. While Jade was distracted trying to enter the Medium, Becquerel Tier-1 prototyped himself into the sprite, unintentionally giving Jack Noir and all the Underlings access to his Reality Warper powers. After entry, Jade Tier-2 prototyped her deceased dream self's taxidermied body, but it initially backfired - the revived Jadesprite was thoroughly distraught about being pulled out of the afterlife and proved to be little more than a blubbering goddamn pansy.Later, when Jade ascended to the God Tiers, she effectively merged with Jadesprite, gaining all of her powers and knowledge. See Jade's section here for tropes, as Jadesprite and Jade are virtually one and the same. For tropes applying specifically to Becsprite, see Becquerel's section here.
Troll Session Sprites
LususpritesWith the exception of Aradia, all of the trolls Tier-1 prototyped their sprites with the recently-slain corpses of their lusi, their guardians prior to entry and did not Tier-2 prototype. For tropes relating to the Lususprites, see the Lusi section here.
AradiaspriteAlone amongst the trolls, Aradia Megido did not prototype her lusus, as its corpse was unavailable. Instead, she Tier-1 prototyped her sprite with the desecrated head of the blue Frog Temple, an act which proved critical to the trolls' success. After entering, she tier-2 prototyped it with her own ghost, thus reviving herself and giving herself access to all the knowledge sprites possess (among other things); to better facilitate playing the game, she later possessed an Aradiabot constructed by Equius. When Aradia ascended to the God Tiers, Aradiasprite "died" and her robot body exploded as her consciousness was transferred to her new fully-alive God Tier body.For tropes relating to Aradiasprite, please see Aradia's section here.
Post Scratch Human Session Sprites (Pre-Retcon)
Jane Crocker's sprite. Prototyped post-entry like all the other Kernelsprites of the B2 universe, it's the product of Gamzee prototyping the corpses of Tavros and Vriska. They were prototyped at the same time, so Tier-1 and Tier-2 are indistinct. It exploded shortly after its creation, splitting itself back into Vriska and Tavros in the afterlife.Due to John's retcon shenanigans resulting in Vriska's death being prevented, Tavrisprite has also been (mostly) retconned out of existence and replaced with Tavrosprite, as shown in Act 6 Act 6 Intermission 5's meteor-plus-Vriska recap.
- Ambiguous Gender: Referred to as it here on this page not out of any offense to people of complicated gender, but because it was a Body Horror monstrosity with no distinct gender.
- Body Horror: To the point it immediately committed suicide.
- Came Back Wrong: So wrong it exploded immediately.
- Deconstruction: Of the fusion Davesprite and Jadesprite went through. And unlike Jadesprite, it can self terminate.
- Driven to Suicide: It immediately exploded.
- Fandom Nod: The name Tavris is a reference to the Portmanteau Couple Name some use for the ship of Vriska/Tavros (mostly because Vrisros doesn't roll off the tongue easily). Idiosyncratic Ship Naming is more common however.
- Irony\Call Back: That Vriska herself would become a sprite prototyped from the remains of a dead troll after subjecting Aradia to that same fate. She doesn't enjoy it one bit.
- Mind Hive: Sort of. Tavris is a fusion of Tavros and Vriska, but it has an irreconcilable personality because of that.
- Not Quite Dead: Surprisingly given how she isn't an instance native to a doomed timeline pre-retcon Vriska still exists despite her death being prevented, shown when Vriska gets into an awkward stare with Tavrisprite!Vriska and Meenah when she discovers their matespritship. Tavrisprite!Tavros' existential status has yet to be shown now that his retconned timeline self is now a happy and living sprite.
- Ret Gone: Since John retconned Vriska's death, Tavrisprite doesn't exist as it once did. What corpses or objects Jane's retconned sprite was prototyped with have yet to be revealed.
- Take That, Audience!: Fans had long clamoured for Vriska and Tavros's revival. This method of revival was... unanticipated to say the least.
- Of course, they returned to being semi-important characters again, so said fans sort of half-got what they wanted.
- Two Trolls One Body
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: "I h8te, the way, i FALTERINGLY, sPEAK OUT, my jum8led, tHOUGHTS"
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Existed for literally all of 3 panels before exploding.
Jake English's sprite. He's presumably the product of Gamzee prototyping the corpses of Eridan and Sollux. Ordering of prototype is unknown, so Tier-1 and Tier-2 are indistinct.As of the retconned timeline, Jake's sprite has yet to be prototyped, with general consensus amongst the kids and trolls being that protoyping the aforementioned trolls is a bad idea considering the personalities and actions of the sprite's components, prioritising using the kernelsprite as a backup revival for the living.
- Adorkable: Becomes this upon meeting Fefetasprite, seeing as he awkwardly tries to apologize to her for everything Eridan's done.
- Butt Monkey: Has incredible self-loathing due to his components, but Jake constantly laughs in his face about it, believing it to just be a comedic bit he's doing.
- Body Horror: An Aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent. Mind you, he still loathes his predicament, but not to the point of exploding himself like Tavrisprite did.
- Character Development: Provides some for his Eridan half when he apologizes for his actions to Fefetasprite. Somewhat inverted for his Sollux half, he seems to have reverted to a Jerk Ass who flatly declares that he doesn't care about anything, even as Erisolsprite is apologizing to Fefetasprite. He still seems to care for the Feferi half, as shown when Arquiusprite tries to talk with Fefetasprite.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Seems pretty fond of peppering his language with the F-bomb. Really lets one loose when Trickster Jake forces him to come along on his quest.ERISOLSPRITE: fuck you, fuck my liife, fuck liiterally evverything, fuck fuck fuck.
- Cool Shades/Nerd Glasses: Combining he shape of Eridan's glasses with the colors of Sollux's shades.
- Establishing Character Moment: He is seen Flipping the Bird the moment he sees Jake in [S] Act 6 Act 5. Apparently, he's given Jake The Bird everyday, to the point that Jake finds the gesture oddly comforting.
- Fandom Nod: The Portmanteau Couple Name for Eridan and Sollux is Erisol.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Considers being forced to be with the Tricksters to be one. He thinks that it's his punishment for doing bad things when he was originally two people, but says that no one deserves this while the Tricksters just laugh at him.
- Grumpy Bear: He hates almost everyone, most of all himself.
- Heel-Face Turn: The Eridan half of Erisolsprite is shown to be genuinely remorseful for killing Feferi and apologizes to Fefetasprite for it. She forgives him.
- Jerkass: Thanks to being the unholy fusion of Eridan (already a Jerkass himself) and Sollux, a guy who hated himself before being fused with someone he mutually hated and who tended to lash out at others because of it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he meets Fefetasprite.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Erisolsprite is a rather flagrant anomaly amongst sprites, not at all surprising given who he's comprised of. He's retained the colors of Sollux's glasses in contrast to the monotone chromatic scheme of other sprites, and then there's the results of Sollux's half-corpse being prototyped - the revival of the corpse as a sprite restored Sollux's half-dead soul back to complete life.
- Mind Hive: Of the same nature as Tavrisprite, though their personality combination is apparently surprisingly stable, especially given the component trolls' previous relationship. On top of that, their typing quirks are similar enough and not as conflicting as Tavrisprite's was.
- Unlike Tavris, Erisol doesn't really acknowledge Eridan and Sollux as separate people, more of personalities. Sollux seems to be the more dominant personality of the two however.
- This may partially be because Sollux was used to reconciling two reasonably different minds into one personality, due to his brain which matched his duality theme. Since he was blinded, he no longer had a bifurcated brain, but now with the addition of Eridan, he is back to old habits, and can maintain not only stability but actual merging.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His arguing with Arquiusprite causes Fefetasprite to explode out of confusion, which means that, once again, (albeit unintentionally) Eridan has killed Feferi and Sollux indirectly provoked Feferi's death again.
- Ret Gone: Now that Vriska's involved, the kids and trolls have decided that prototyping either Sollux or Eridan would be an undesirable fate for anybody, the latter especially due to the continuing animosity involving his Face-Heel Turn. Jake's sprite is now being reserved for either Nepeta, Feferi or any of the currently living players should they die after a potential Jane-provided revival.
- Two Trolls One Body
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Just when things start looking up for him, it all literally blows up in his face.
Roxy Lalonde's sprite. She's presumably the product of Gamzee prototyping the corpses of Feferi and Nepeta. Ordering of prototype is unknown, so Tier-1 and Tier-2 are indistinct.Akin to Erisolsprite, Fefetasprite has been retconned and was initially an unprototyped kernel; though Vriska had planned for the sprite to be used as a backup in case anyone died in the final battle, Jaspersprite prototyped this sprite with a dead Rose's corpse. See Rosesprite's entry below for details.
- Body Horror: Definitely an Aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent.
- Call Back: As the sprite of the first Lalonde was prototyped from a cat and a "princess" doll with Cosmic Horror "improvements", so the sprite of the second is prototyped from the trolls who are most like those two components - a cat-themed troll, and a sea-themed princess troll who regularly communed with the Emissary to the Horrorterrors.
- Cute Mute: Only communicates with emoticons (onscreen). Is also the combination of Nepeta and Feferi. Dear, sweet precious Fefeta.
- Driven to Suicide: Via Logic Bomb. In the Trickster sequence, she exploded after being drawn into an apologetic conflict between Arquiusprite (apologetic toward the Nepeta half) and Erisolsprite (apologetic toward the Feferi half).
- Fandom Nod: Averted, since Feferi/Nepeta isn't a popular pairing, being a Crack Pairing at best due to both of them being Those Two Guys.
- Fashionable Asymmetry
- Flat Character: Probably because she never spoke or did anything other than float onscreen (unless you count her making faces in chatlogs.)
- Informed Attribute: Was very talkative, according to Roxy, but used only emoticons onscreen.
- Killed Off for Real: By her confusion and emotional trauma multiplied by Arquius's and Erisol's arguments over each other's apologies for wrongs against each of her components. The Irony of this is that in doing so, they commit the same crimes they're apologizing for: Eridan has once again killed Feferi, and Equius has once again failed to protect Nepeta.
- Mind Hive: Of the same nature as the other troll-based sprites, and like Erisolsprite, their personality combination was stable. Unlike Erisolsprite, though, the stability was no surprise, as Nepeta and Feferi have had no on-screen interaction, and were probably the "nicest" and least self-centred of the trolls.
- Ret Gone: Fefetasprite is no more in the retconned timeline. Vriska has stated that although she is ok with the proposal to re-prototype Nepeta or Feferi, under no circumstances are two corpses to be simultaneously prototyped to create another potentially unstable Mind Hive sprite, and that she'd rather have the sprite used as a backup life for a player who is currently alive.
- Satellite Character: Really, all you know about Fefetasprite is through what other characters say about her!
- Two Trolls One Body
- Visual Pun: Also a Stealth Pun. She's a catfish!
- Also a bonus in that royalty and cats were signature things in another land filled with pyramids.
- The Voiceless: Only communicated through emoticons. She only talked around Roxy, though, as she helped her with her alcohol problems.
- The Silent Bob: What her interactions generally amount to.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Although she lasted much longer than Tavrisprite.
Dirk Strider's sprite, and the product of Gamzee prototyping the corpse of Equius (notably, behind Dirk's back). Since Gamzee was down to just one corpse at this point, the Tier 2 prototyping stage was left open, and Dirk fulfilled this with Lil' Hal.Post-retcon, Arquiusprite is still Arquiusprite; Vriska's reason to his unchanged prototyping being that the components' combined skills will and have proven to be immensely helpful for the gang. He is the only B2 sprite to remain the same between the two timelines.
- And I Must Scream: ARquiusprite is trapped inside of Lil' Cal and stranded out in the middle of nowhere with the souls of Caliborn and at least half of Gamzee's soul. May god have mercy on him if he's been assimilated as a part of Lord English.
- Body Horror: Definitely an aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent, as the two components seem delighted with the result. Lil Hal loves being alive and strong, and Equius enjoys having an insanely powerful computer brain.
- That and AR doesn't have a body to begin with.
- Then played a bit straight when Fefetasprite appears. Lil Hal is terrified of Equius' feelings of guilt over letting Nepeta die. Dirk is unsympathetic, reminding Lil Hal that he wanted to live, and dealing with emotions like guilt is part of life.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Arquiusprite f***ing loves being STRONG, and brags about being ripped almost endlessly in his first real chat with Dirk. He also enjoys being alive!
- Call Back: An inversion. When alive, he designed a blue-blooded robot for a dead troll with red blood that was prototyped with a kernelsprite. Now, thanks to Gamzee's own designs, he's a dead troll with formerly blue (now red) blood prototyped with a red kernelsprite and a robotic pair of shades.
- Censor Box: Lil' Hal drops Cluster F Bombs left and right, but Equius's preference against using such verbage cause a good deal of the text to get censored.
- Comically Missing the Point:ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interestsARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairyARQUIUSPRITE: LivestockARQUIUSPRITE: Fine artARQUIUSPRITE: And musclesDIRK: Those are your interests.ARQUIUSPRITE: Good pointARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests
- Fetish: Equius' fetishistic disdain for low bloods mixed with his now red blood.
- Foreshadowing: Shortly before the prototyping, Lil Hal and Dirk get in an argument during which Dirk nearly breaks the AR shades. He relents, leaving them cracked in a familiar way...
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Equius' squeamishness about serious curse words and preference to substitute them with syrupy euphemisms, combined with Hal's utter nonchalance about breaking out the big guns (although he and Dirk aren't outstandingly foul-mouthed by Homestuck standards), produces a distinctive profanity-mixing, self-censoring slurry.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Holds Caliborn still so Dirk can remove his soul, at the cost of his soul(s) being removed as well due to the attack's range.
- Irony: The blue blooded troll with a disdain for the low-blooded ends up on the lowest colour in the hemospectrum? Yup, that's irony.
- Which is more fitting given the person he is the sprite for.
- Mind Hive: Averted at first, until Dirk decided to use his Auto-Responder to perform a Tier-2 Prototyping. Equius and Lil Hal.
- Motor Mouth: He is coming off as one in the spritelogs since the amount of text from him outnumbers Dirk's.
- Narcissist: Comes across as this, considering the fact that his first spritelog has him bragging about his muscles and demanding that Dirk look at/touch them.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His arguing with Erisolsprite causes Fefetasprite to explode out of confusion, which means that, once again, Equius has failed to protect Nepeta.
- No Body Left Behind: If Caliborn's claymation depiction of his fight with the kids is accurate, his sprite body disappeared when he had his soul ripped out and placed into Lil' Cal.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: It's really noticeable given every 1-2 sentences has a word censored. Yeah, this and Gosh Dang It to Heck! apply to the same character!
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Arquiusprite is the third sprite to have been prototyped with two (mostly) animate beings in non-simultaneous prototypings. Unlike Davesprite and Jadesprite, he is native to the post-scratch session and his first personality wasn't wiped from existence upon the prototyping of the second being.
- Two Beings, One Body: Arquiusprite is prototyped with both Equius and Dirk's Auto-Responder.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Dirk had been trying to prevent Gamzee from prototyping his kernel (by bribing him with orange soda) but, as the Auto Responder said prior to Equiusprite appearing, it was only a matter of time. A few panels later, Gamzee gets the surprise on Dirk by first tier prototyping it behind his back. Dirk goes "Fuck It" and tosses the Auto-Responder in anyway.
- Played straight when the trickster-fied kids come to Dirk to assimilate him. Dirk is about to fight back, but Arquiusprite informs him that he'll never be happy as himself so he should go Trickster instead. Dirk being completely depressed and filled with self-loathing agrees and does it.
Post Scratch Human Session Sprites (Post-Retcon)
TavrospriteJane's new sprite after the retcons, Tavrosprite is the result of Vriska handling the prototypings by taking Gamzee out of the equation. He's still eligible for a second tier prototyping.
- Call Back: Being around Jaspersprite sets off the cat allergies he mentioned in a conversation with Nepeta.
- Character Development: He's definitely getting better at acting confident, and his advice to Jake was actually working pretty well until Vriska ruined it.
- Too Dumb to Live: He attempts to give Jake a reassuring hug, unaware that touching another entity will re-prototype the sprite and erase him from existence until Vriska stops him.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: He's become somewhat more confident than he was before his death, and attempts to help Jake with his own confidence and personality issues until Vriska ruins the moment by going on a tirade about such false hopes and saying that the Page class is a Joke Character class due to their personalities preventing their Magikarp Power from kicking in.
RosespriteRoxy's new post-retcon sprite. Rosesprite was formed due to Jaspersprite prototyping pre-retcon Rose's corpse. She currently is still open for Tier 2 prototyping.
- Call Back: Rose prototyped her kernel with Jaspers in order to bring him back to life. Jaspersprite did the same with Rose's own corpse after the retcon, despite there being a live Rose.
- Cloning Blues: Strictly averted. She defers to the Rose of the retcon as the "Real Rose", and has no qualms about being a "Subordinate Rose", unlike Davesprite's own issues about the event. She even expresses some relief at become considered secondary.
- Didn't See That Coming: Not even Rose foresaw Rosesprite's existence because it apparently has no impact on the timeline whatsoever, or at least not as a "fortunate" event. Even Rosesprite herself, with her own seer abilities and the knowledge inherent to a sprite, is confused about what is going on.
- Distaff Counterpart: A doomed timeline Dave prototyped himself into Dave's own sprite to extend his life past what it would have been due to being a paradox, and came away with a host of issues about not being the "Real" Dave. A dead Rose from a retconned timeline was prototyped into Roxy's unprototyped kernel, by Jaspersprite (see above), and has no such issues.
- For Want of a Nail: Roxy's sprite was prototyped yet again behind everyone's back, despite Gamzee being locked away this time.
- The Fun in Funeral: Her funeral is actually a Meaningful Funeral at first, and her death was very much taken as a serious Tear Jerker. Eventually, we find out that Jaspersprite dug up her grave soon after and prototyped her once LOWAS was placed back in canon.
- Purple Is Powerful: She's a god-tiered sprite - no sprite has been with so much potential strength since Jadesprite and the First Guardian powers she inherited from Becquerel. Additionally, because of the flipping of associated colors amongst the human players and their sprites, Rosesprite is still associated with her usual purple.
- Superpower Lottery: Her guidance-based sprite powers will more than likely be extremely amplified by her status as a god-tiered Seer of Light.
- Tempting Fate: Vriska states how she wants to keep the sprites as a backup revival for any of the living players just in case they die, get revived by Jane and die again. Mere minutes later, Jaspersprite shows up with the kernel he wasted on Rose's deceased pre-retcon self. Fortunately, Rosesprite's abilities means she's still able to be put to good use.
ArquiuspriteDirk's sprite, who retains both prototyping components and all other aspects of his pre-retcon iteration. He has his own section above since the sprite hasn't been retconned into something else.
> Go Back
> Return to main page