However, in certain works, colors like yellow or green are used to display earth-related powers. How earth is portrayed as yellow or green can depend on the region the work is from.
Yellow earth is commonly seen in Eastern works because the color is considered culturally significant. China sees yellow as a very important color; it has historically been worn only by emperors and Buddhist monks, it represents earth in their element system, and it's the color of the soil deposits that come from the Yellow River, which is the cradle of Chinese civilization. In real life, sand in deserts and some beaches is a light tint of yellow, and soil can be a golden yellow if iron oxide is present. Yellow ochre, which contains iron oxide, is extracted from that soil for pigment — it's the earliest example known to be used by mankind.
Alternately, green is used as a color for earth because of its association with nature and environmentalism; using green can overlap with Green Thumb and Emerald Power. In Western works, earth is usually portrayed in green, while air is portrayed in yellow or white.
If yellow and green are taken, brown is optimally used, yet will emit either a yellow or orange aura because it's impossible to make brown light, and "brown" light is essentially orange.
See also Fire Is Red, Water Is Blue, Wind Is Green, Blue Means Cold, Gold Is Yellow, Gravity Is Purple, Green Means Natural, and Yellow Lightning, Blue Lightning, and Technicolor Wind for more Color-Coded Elements.
Note: Kindly provide a detailed context on how earth is colored with yellow, green, or any other color, lest it is merely labeled under Color-Coded Elements.
Yellow Earth (can include ochre and golden brown)
- Fairy Tail: "Iron Rock" Jura is a wizard who specializes in Earth Magic and most of his spells have a yellow aura. In the anime proper, Instant Runes circles associated with Earth spells have a yellowish-golden color.
- Transformers: Cybertron: After absorbing the energies of the Earth Cyber Planet Key, Starscream gains the ability to lift rocks out of the ground and use them as weapons. Both Starscream and the affected rocks glow yellow when he uses this power.
- The Yellow Lion of Voltron was symbolic of rocks/the Earth and was yellow (as its name suggests)
- The DCU: Siblings Brion (Geo-Force) and Tara (Terra) Markov have the power to control earth; this ability is usually marked with a yellow glow.
- In the Filipino telefantasya Encantadia, the Gem of Earth, which has the abilities to terraform landscapes, heal, manipulate plants and animals, and shapeshift, is colored a golden yellow. The Kingdom of Sapiro, which was the original keeper of the Gem, is themed with shades of yellow and gold.
- Super Sentai/Power Rangers:
- Ultra Series:
- Ultraman Ginga: Ultraman Victory, an Ultraman from an underground civilisation born from the power of the rare mineral Victorium, has multiple V-shaped yellow crystals on his body.
- Ultraman R/B: The Victory Crystal, which harnesses the power of Ultraman Victory and has the element of Earth, turns Rosso and Blu ochre when used to access Rosso Ground and Blu Ground respectively.
- In 2006 and 2007, some stone-themed BIONICLE characters were yellow, and Carapar (who didn't have stone powers but fit that role in the color scheme) had golden-brown armor.
- Chantelise: Things aligned with the Earth element, like its elemental crystals, Earth-type monsters, and the Terran Ruins, are colored yellow.
- In almost all Final Fantasy incarnations, the Earth Crystal is represented in yellow, and Earth magic emits a yellow light.
- The Fossil Fighters franchise features earth type Vivosaurs, uncovered from yellow fossils. Additionally, their icons feature yellow accents, and many of them incorporate yellow into their design.
- Genshin Impact: The element of Geo is coloured in goldenrod, and its Elemental Nation is the Fantasy Counterpart Culture of China.
- Golden Sun: Venus Psynergy, the power of earth and plant life, is represented with a yellow orb in menus and its spells'/attacks' particle effects are depicted in yellow and golden brown. Venus Djinn, though, are straight brown and tan. Strangely, the Venus Lighthouse is purple, and the light of its beacon is green.
- Inazuma Eleven: A few goalkeeper techniques, such as God Hand and Majin the Hand, have a different-coloured aura depending on the player's element: golden-yellow for earth in contrast to blue for wood and red for the fire variations. Aside from that, earth is mostly associated with orange in the games, such as the colour of the icon seen in the Earth-type characters' info.
- The Legend of Dragoon: While the Earth element is colored brown, and yellow is used for Light, the Dragon and Dragoon associated with said element are golden colored, while the Light Dragoon is pearly white/silver.
- In Lost Kingdoms and its sequel, cards of the earth element have yellow borders, and earth is represented as yellow in diagrams of the games' Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- Quest 64: Earth is represented by a yellow gem.
- Recettear: Earth Crystals are yellow.
- This Starry Midnight We Make: The color of Earth-aspected stars. For example, the basic Yellow Star has its Catalogue entry be:
A Seed Star with a yellow tinge due to the influence of Earth.
Slightly soft to the touch.
- The syllabus of the South Korean martial art Tae Kwon-Do requires all practitioners above 10th kup (white belt) to know that the yellow belt (and the yellow on the yellow tag belt) represents the earth.
Green Earth (can include yellow accents)
- An Elemental Motif example for A Song of Ice and Fire: House Tyrell, who govern the Reach and are known for their great harvests and association with flowers, have green and gold as their house colors and a rose as their sigil.
- The Wheel of Time: The One Power comprises the four classical elements plus Spirit, which can be used individually or combined into "Weaves" with various effects; threads of Earth are coloured green to people who can sense the Power.
- In Power Rangers Mystic Force Xander, the Green Ranger, has earth- and plant-based powers.
- In BIONICLE, while the earth element is more closely associated with black and grey color schemes, most earth characters in the Mata Nui and Metru Nui story arcs have green eyes. This includes Onua, Whenua, Nuhvok (as well as Nuhvok Va and Nuhvok-Kal), and Tehutti. In Mata Nui Online Game, Onua's earth powers are represented by bright green energy during the battle against Makuta. In the canceled BIONICLE: The Legend of Mata Nui, where each Toa's Energy Spheres are color-coded to their elements in the most recent beta build, Onua's Energy Spheres are green.
- In Dragon Project, the Earth element is represented as a green leaf, and a majority of Earth-elemented Behemoths are green. In fact, all Earth-elemented Magis are colored in various shades of green. Even Earth-elemented attack numbers are dark green.
- In the Jade Cocoon series, Earth-type mons have green color schemes and Field Power Effects that strengthen earth turn the terrain green.
- The Legend of Spyro: Earth Breath and its many variations across all three games are associated with the color green (while yellow is for lightning). This is more evident in the first two games, where Earth Breath includes power over soil, nature and wind, while the third game Spyro's attack are more earth/rock related and are a mix of green and brown. Terrador, the Earth Guardian, is also primarily forest green in color, with brown plates, horns, wings, and claws, while earth elemental enemies are the same vivid green as Spyro's attacks.
- Musashi Samurai Legend: The Sword of Earth is bright orange with a green handle, and the Maiden of the Earth wears mostly in green and her powers have a green hue. Fittingly enough, the sword is kept in a rocky valley in the middle of a confusing forest.
- Tactics Ogre: Earth magic and its attacks and buffs are represented in green, and its symbol is a green M-shaped chevron resembling mountains.
- Warriors of Might and Magic: Earth-elemental magics and creature are marked by the color green.
- The Earth Kingdom in Avatar: The Last Airbender has its nation, symbols, and people portrayed in various shades of green with yellow accents.
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers has Kwame, whose Earth ring emits a green light whenever he controls the rocks and soil around him and whenever he starts the roll call for summoning Captain Planet.
- Ready Jet Go!: The show uses Color Motifs for its characters, so characters that wear green tend to have a special connection to Earth. Sean adores Planet Earth above all else, and occasionally takes time to comment on how beautiful it is. Jet's cousin Zerk also wears green. Although he started out belittling Earth, he eventually grew to love it when he actually visited it.
- Green soil is possible in real life, with glauconite minerals giving the soil a green appearance. Such soil is utilized as a pigment, and was used by Medieval painters for underpainting skin.
Yellow and Green Earth
- In The Dark Eye, Earth is divided between "Stone" and "Soil". The former is associated to the color orange, while the latter is represented by earthen colors (usually green).
- In Magic: The Gathering, earth magic is associated both with Green, the color of nature, and White, the latter usually in the form of yellow sand and dust. However, most earth spells are actually Red and it is officially the "earth color".
- In Chrono Cross, the elements are split up into six colors. Yellow is the color of Dishing Out Dirt spells (and lightning), while green includes plant magic (and wind).
- Paper Mario: The Origami King: The four Vellumentals make rather straightforward use of Color-Coded Elements in their designs, and the Earth Vellumental is specifically a giant turtle with a green shell and yellow extremities.
Brown/Orange Earth and Other
- Ryo Ogami/Kamen Rider Buster from Kamen Rider Saber has the power over grayish brown earth, right down to having his sword, the Dogouken Gekido, being powerful enough to destroy rocks.
- For the first five and a half years of its existence, all stone-themed BIONICLE sets were brown. In 2006 and 2007, Hewkii, Toa of Stone, was given a yellow-based color scheme (the only other stone character in that time period was the yellow Dekar; Carapar, although fitting the color scheme, had no Elemental Powers). In 2008, Pohatu, Toa of Stone, was orange. 2009 had the Sand Tribe, with a tan color scheme, though they lacked elemental powers. In the early years, one Matoran of Earth (Nuparu) had an orange mask, though the rest of his body was black and grey. Yellow was actually planned as a standard stone-element color since the start in 2001 via the Legend of Mata Nui video game and the Sand Tarakava beast toy prototype, neither of which were released, making yellow a rare stone color until 2006.
- Epic Battle Fantasy: The Earth element is connected to the color brown:
- Weapons highly connected to it have brown palettes:
- The icon for the earth element is brown-colored:
- Earth-type brown-skinned dragon enemy, whose name changes depending on the game:
- In Toukiden, the Earth element is portrayed as a light brown rock, and a vast majority of Earth-elemented Onis are clad in various shades of brown or orange.
- In City of Heroes Stone powers generally had either a brownish-yellow or brownish-red color for their power icons.
- Soil Meteos are orange.
- The icons for the Ground and Rock types in Pokémon are always a shade of brown, with Ground typically being more of a beige color.