One of Hollywood's most popular character actors, Harry Dean Stanton (or occasionally Dean Stanton, or Harry Stanton) (July 14, 1926—September 15, 2017) made a career of playing supporting roles. His first acting role was in an episode of Inner Sanctum in 1954, and following that he appeared in a vast number of television shows and movies.
He is also the first (and currently only) film actor to have an entire film festival devoted to him, The Harry Dean Stanton Fest is an annual event in Lexington, Kentucky (near where he was born and grow up), that showcases his films.
- Seven Psychopaths: The Quaker Psychopath
- The Avengers: The security guard who gives Bruce Banner fresh clothes ("Are you a big guy who gets little, or a little guy who somehow gets all big?")
- Big Love: Roman Grant
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me: Carl Rodd
- The Last Stand: Mr. Parsons
- Down Periscope: Chief Engineer, CPO Howard.
- Wild at Heart: Johnnie Farragut
- Paris, Texas: Travis Henderson (a rare leading man role for him)
- Repo Man: Bud, the repo man who recruits Emilio Estevez; he later reprised this role in Chuck.
- Pretty in Pink: Molly Ringwald's father.
- One Magic Christmas: The Christmas Angel, Gideon.
- Christine: Detective Rudolph Junkins
- Escape from New York: Brain
- Alien: Brett
- The Straight Story: Lyle Straight
- Kelly's Heroes: Private Willard
- Cool Hand Luke: Tramp
- Red Dawn (1984): Patrick Swayze's and Charlie Sheen's dad. (AVENGE ME!)
- Farewell, My Lovely: Detective Rolfe
- The Godfather Part II: One of the FBI Agents guarding Frank Pentangeli.
- Dillinger: Homer Van Meter. ("Things ain't working out for me today!")
- Lucky: Lucky
- Private Benjamin: Sergeant First Class Jim Ballard
- Death Watch: Vincent Ferriman