The main protagonist, a third year middle schooler who's got no idea what he wants to do with his life—until a certain demon appears in his life, with the aim of making him be a true chef, whether he likes it or not.
- Berserk Button: Especially after befriending Nao of the Agricultural Department, he gets pissed whenever he sees someone wasting food.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As written below, Satoru is normally a sweet kid. But mess with his friends, waste food, or piss him off in any way, and he will reveal a will of iron.
- Character Development: Started out as somebody who gave up easily and always said 'no way' to the point where he was known as 'Noriya' by his friends, gradually becomes somebody who refuses to give up no matter the odds. This also applies to his culinary skills—Satoru goes from somebody who was cooking only because he was forced into it to having his own motivations and reasons for cooking (a large part of the manga is dedicated to Moriya learning why he wants to cook), which is further exemplified by his increasing knowledge and abilities about cooking as the manga carried on.
- Demonic Possession: By Dogma, although unwillingly. stops in chapter 25 (The Children of Science All Dance) when Satoru uses the wish Dogma grants him to stop Dogma from possessing his body, but resumes in chapter 38 (Imperfect), when he changes his wish to get Kei's soul back from his Deal with the Devil with Dogma.
- Made of Iron: He's gone through enough slapstick to land him in the hospital multiple times over, but apart from some bruises he's always uninjured.
- Nice Guy: Satoru has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, but once he notices the results of his actions, he does all he can to put things right again.
- Ordinary High-School Student: originally a middle school student in his third year, but he transferred to Shokusen, a high school famous for its culinary advances.
- Took a Level in Badass:In the beginning, he was a middle school student with no experience at all in cooking. As the manga progressed, his skill level increased, until he wins against Kei in The Battle of the Five Senses arc with nothing but the skill he had accumulated.
The Earl of Poor Eating, a demon that loves food and wants to eat the soul of a true chef. He approaches Satoru with the intention of grooming him into a true chef whose soul he can eat after his death.
- Berserk Button: Do not claim to be the best in the world, or that there is only one way of cooking. Anyone who has done this in front of him will be challenged to a cooking battle where he proves them wrong.
- Creepy Cool Crosses
- Evil Virtues: Patience. Dogma does not mind waiting for the things he wants and gladly takes his time making sure everything is the best possible, which is part of the reason why he goes through the trouble of cultivating Satoru's soul, rather than chasing another.
- Faux Affably Evil: Charming and handsome, it's easy to get swayed by his smiling face and his looks, but her is a demon who readily tortures a boy to eat.
- Meaningful Name: A dogma is a principle of a philosophy or religion that cannot be discussed or questioned and must simply be accepted, not unlike how he forced himself his way into Satoru's life and doesn't admits questionings many times.
- Pet the Dog: Downplayed and Subverted. It's mostly for pragmatic reasons (such as pushing Satoru to becoming a better chef), but he does take it slightly easier on Satoru later on, and he grants Satoru a wish that he then keeps to - although its implied that he took Kei's soul in the aftermath of the Battle of Five Senses Arc to get Satoru to change his wish to taking Kei's soul back instead of Dogma no longer being able to possess Satoru (which might count as he had almost nothing delicious to eat since the start of the manga).
- Picky Eater: Befitting of someone who's title is the 'Earl of Poor Eating'. He's been fasting the entire manga just because he doesn't want to eat something he doesn't like. Subverted when he takes human form for the second time, during which he'll eat to keep his body alive, and when he gets attacked by Beelzebub, the demon of Gluttony. The attack costs him his left eye, and he has to eat a lot of food in order to recover, forcing him to abandon his pickiness in favor of recovery.
A talented and eccentric student of the cooking department with more than a few behavioral issues but talent enough to be considered the best the department has to offer.
- The Ace: Largely acknowledged as this of the Cooking Department, even by the dean herself.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite his cooky behavior and outlandish ideas, he is considered a genius and hasn't been kicked out because he always aces every test he is given despite never appearing in classes, though he appears again once he decides that Satoru is his rival.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He has been bored with the normal things for a long time, and seeks to create something new and interesting, sometimes ignoring common sense. he is introduced wanting to make sweets out of insects, to begin with. He also generally behaves weirdly, with mittens in his hands all the time, one of a cat the other of a chicken and makes stories about them.
- Like Father, Like Son: His father turns out to be just as kooky as him. In fact, in a flashback, it seems that if anything, his father's behavior intensified Nakarai's own eccentricity.
- The Rival: To Satoru, though that's almost one-sided. Turns out he's been disinterested in school for a long time until someone who could rival and interest him showed up.
- Teen Genius: Considered this by his classmates and some of his teachers. It's acknowledged his skills are those of a pro, sometimes even surpassing them. It's revealed later on that he dislikes being seen as one, as it causes people to avoid him.
A student from the first year of Shokusen. An intense young man with no particular specialty when it comes to food, but gravitates towards meat dishes.
- Badass Normal: Although good in his own right, he definitely lacks the crazier skills of his peers and their skills, so he mostly cooks like a normal cook rather than using any particular skill.
- Big Brother Instinct: Comes naturally when one is the eldest sibling out of seven, as portrayed when he finds out his little brother became a delinquent. It occasionally widens to include Satoru and the others (such as Gien), although he mostly treats them as friends.
- Butt-Monkey: He tends to get the short end of the stick more often than not. He's only after Satoru in the amount of times that Dogma caused pain to someone, a lot of it because Dogma finds him annoying.
- Comic Relief: He isn't very used for intense or serious scenes, most of his time is dedicated to be in some joke to lighten the mood of the manga.
- Establishing Character Moment: His battle against Satoru, which includes cauterising a cut on his hand with a pan on the fire, just so the duel won't end, showcasing his passion.
- Hidden Depths: He's pretty adept when it comes to survival. He made all the buildings and traps during the Hell Island Arc, and its revealed in chapter 19 that he's quite the Determinator, despite feeling down about his culinary abilities.
- Hot-Blooded: Introduced as it. He is passionate and intense and loves the concept of hotness (as in intensity, not attractiveness), he even accepts Satoru's first challenge simply because he felt like Satoru is a sufficiently passionate person.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's pretty blunt and has a quick temper, but he's a Nice Guy more often than not, as seen below.
- Nice Guy: When he's not being a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, he's pretty goodnatured. He helps and befriends Satoru despite all the things Dogma (in Satoru's body) does to him, and it's very clear that he cares for his friends. He also forgives Kei for fracturing his arm (which are important to a chef) when Kei provides an apology via Curry, despite it being less than 24 hours past the incident and being unable to cook for 2 weeks.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Yoh is the oldest child in a family of ten, with five brothers and two sisters (with more on the way). Feeding them was the reason he took up cooking in the first place, which eventually lead to him joining Shokuzen. He was particularly close to the second eldest son Kou, with the both of them holding multiple competitions over anything and everything. This plays a large part in his drive to cook, as when his brother got disowned for becoming a delinquent after Yoh left for Shikuzen, he went to find him and managed to convince Kou to stop by making a promise for the both of them to reach number one at their respective schools.
- Out of Focus: Compared to his peers, he is considerably less relevant to the plot and gets much less screentime, among the screentime he does get, he usually focus on either explaining things to Satoru about the school or being the butt of some joke.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Morisaki Yoh. The two might argue at the drop of a hat, but their dishes are of high quality when they work together. Their friendship took a dive during the Battle of Five Senses Arc, before rising back up afterwards.
A shy and sweet girl, daughter of the owner of a Chinese restaurant, she always holds a huge wok and hides behind it when she feels threatened, which is almost all the time. Her specialty is making fried rice in her wok.
- Animal Motif: Frogs. During the match against the Science Department, she is called frog-chan, forgs are her favorite animal and she is always wearing a frog pin in her head.
- Character Development: While maintaining a status of Shrinking Violet, she is much more headstrong and determinated in matches after meeting and befriending Satoru.
- Daddy's Girl: She loves her father and his cooking, she enters the school with the intention of bettering the image of his cooking after the restaurant starts facing strong competition and losing business.
- Meganekko: She is a very shy and polite girl who wears large round glasses.
- Shrinking Violet: She quivers at any sign of being threatened, being very shy and feeling like everyone around her could corner at all times.
- Super Strength: Her experience with the wok has lead to her having extremely strong grip and strength.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair a very bright green.
A strange and eccentric man that believes spices can rule over cooking. He has an extremely developed nose, capable of smelling things and using spices to a whole new level. His specialty are dishes heavy on spices, such as curry.
- Abusive Parents: His father was never even mentioned and his mother would mostly ignore him, feeding him nothing but cup noodles and frozen meals, because she couldn't be bothered to cook for him. She eventually went missing and left her child behind.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh so very much. Except for his first appearance and the Battle of Five Senses Arc, where he plays a Large Ham instead.
- Deal with the Devil: It's unclear if he knew what he was getting into, but he created one when he issued a challenge to Dogma—if he beat Satoru, he could challenge Dogma himself to a cooking rematch. He loses his soul after he loses to Satoru and by extension Dogma, but Satoru bargains his soul back and he's all better. Yuri Dragunov also serves this role.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: His eyes lack the shine that is normally seen in other characters, and he's been noted to have dead-fish eyes in-universe. They become lightafter he researches all the scents in the world, but they turn back to normal after he does his HeelFace Turn.
- Freudian Excuse: His behavior and tendency to distrust even his own friends comes from the way his mother used to diss him as an annoyance and how she ran away, leaving him behind. His interest in spices also stemmed from wanting variations of taste in the convenience food meals he ate, which turned into an obsession when his mom gave him a bento made from the frozen meals that he thought was homemade, causing him to distrust his own sense of taste.
- Happily Adopted: He has been adopted by the detective that found him out when his mother went missing. While he's a very cold person, it seems that his home life is infinitely better now and he's at least somewhat thankful.
- "Just Joking" Justification: His catchphrase is to add that he is just joking after saying almost anything. His adoptive father however, adds that this is actually his way to pretend he doesn't want something or to run away from something.
- Kick the Dog: A lot of his actions during the Battle of Five Senses Arc can be passed off as him going through a breakdown, but fracturing his friend's arm when all the kid did was show concern was unwarranted. He makes up for it by serving his friends Meat Curry later on as an apology, however.
- Rival Turned Evil: He joins the Science Department during that arc, with the intention of ending cooking forever and attempts to defeat his former friends. He turns back to the side of cooking at the end of the arc, however.
A cheerful and romantic girl who is obsessed with knives, and has a crush on Satoru. She has over 200 different knives that she has the skills and knowledge to use in her cooking, and her knifework is impeccable—both in and out of the kitchen. Her speciality is decorative carving, such as character bentos.
- A-Cup Angst: Padding is the only reason she even passes as an A-Cup, something that's a bit of a sore spot for her.
- Knife Nut: Like you wouldn't believe. She has 200 knives and counting, all with different names and uses. She's protective of all of them, treating them like her own kids, and anyone who touches them without her permission gets knives thrown at them, no matter how well meaning they are.
- Yandere: For Satoru. She was willing to steal knives for him and go after Hakka with her knives. She attempts to kill Akiyama in the Hell Island Arc because she thought Akiyama was Satoru's boyfriend thanks to a previous arc, although they quickly come to an understanding afterwards.
The rich son of the Golgotha family, a rich family of candy suppliers. His specialty is in making sweets, which he excels at. He loves women and tries to gather a group to be part of his personal troupe.
- Does Not Like Men: He wishes to be surrounded by women and hates to be around men, in fact, he even hates the idea of men eating his dishes, specially since he learned to cook to impress women.
- French Cuisine Is Haughty: He is a french chef, with a knack for sweets. His dishes are always very high class with several techniques executed masterfully. In fact, he first makes an Opera cake, a french pastry particularly known for it's high-class style and difficulty.
- French Jerk: He is from France and is quite the unflattering person, he mostly mistreats the men around him and tries to get the women to be into him.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Instead of the usual pants, he wears gray and blue plaid shorts together with knee-high socks.
- Odd Friendship: With Mikazuki. He's a rich kid who specialises in sweets, while Mikazuki is a high-strung Tsundere who specialises in Udon, a savoury dish. Makes more sense when you consider that both Levi and Mikazuki have Friendless Background—Levi uses his money to attract groupies instead of friends and Mikazuki is implied to have been bullied as a kid. They bond when tasked to light a fire together during the Hell Island Arc, and a lot of their appearances afterwards are them together, trying to combine chocolate and udon into a tasty recipe.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: His usual behavior, which includes buying or renting whatever he needs in a moment's notice due to his family bucket loads of cash. it turns out he was embezzling all that cash from the family funds, which backfires on him when his father finds out and withdraws him from the academy. Doesn't stick for long, as with the help of his teacher and Matsuo, he's back within a chapter.
A 2nd year known for his ruthless and harsh behavior towards all other chefs and being very selective of the people he allows to contract him, but known for being able to create dishes that can make all his clients feel better by using medicinal principles of Chinese philosophies, which is his specialty.
- Animal Motif: Crabs. He is called to have the hair of a crab and is constantly chewing on crabs.
- Jerkass: Whenever someone is bellow his expectations, he reacts brutally.
- Tragic Keepsake: His knife case used to belong to Kuroda, his Parental Substitute and personal chef of his house, who took care of him while he was sick, after Kuroda being fired and his subsequent death, Kumoi took the case and decided to become a chef.
- Odd Friendship: With Utsurogi Mongo. Their personalities and cooking specialties are different as night and day—Kumoi is a no nonsense chef who's dishes cater to the health of the person eating it, while Mongo is a chef who likes to make a spectacle of his cooking and specialises in street-food for the masses, which isn't very healthy. Despite all that, they've both been friends for 12 years.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He has this type of relationship with Utsurogi Mongo. They met 12 years ago during a New Year's Meeting held by the Utsurogi's Group, and have kept in touch ever since.
- Worthy Rival: Is stated to have this stance towards Mongo.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A very clear tone of lavender.
A high-strung 1st year from Sanuki, Shikoku Island, who blusters mean words in an attempt to hide his insecurities. He mellows out when it comes to Udon, which he considers his soul food, and his specialty.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's implied that a lot of his blustering and insecurity is because he used to be bullied. He was nicknamed Garbage Bag as a kid, had no friends until he met Satoru, and based off how he reacted when Satoru says that he thinks Mikazuki's way of thinking about Udon is cool, him being made fun of for liking Udon isn't that farfetched a guess either.
- Jerkass: In his first appearance, he chops down the sacred tree of the agriculture club and frames Satoru for it. Further appearances tones this down, however, and implies that it's because of his insecurities and anxiety.
- The Napoleon: To the point that his wish in the Hot Springs Chapter was to grow taller. Despite attempts at working out, he's the shortest out of all the male characters, standing tall at 156cm. Justified, as the reason he wants to grow bigger is to gain the strength necessary to knead udon dough without relying on someone.
- Odd Friendship: With Levi. He's a high-strung Tsundere who specialises in Udon, a savoury dish, while Levi is a rich kid who specialises in sweets. Makes more sense when you consider that both Levi and Mikazuki have Friendless Background—Levi uses his money to attract groupies instead of friends and Mikazuki is implied to have been bullied as a kid. They bond when tasked to light a fire together during the Hell Island Arc, and a lot of their appearances afterwards are them together, trying to combine chocolate and udon into a tasty recipe.
- Rolling Pin of Doom: Making this is why he cuts down the Sacred Tree—the rolling pin is half his height and stored behind his back somehow. Not only is it useful for rolling Udon Dough, it's useful for hitting people who annoy him as well.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Udon. Not only is it his speciality, but it's the dish he'd eat if he had only five minutes left to live. It's implied that he joined Shokuzen Academy to learn how to make the best udon, and almost all of his appearances involves the making of udon.
- Tsundere: After Satoru helps him out, Matsuo yells at him to shut up and die and runs away... only to leave him a bowl of the Udon he wanted to try as thanks as thanks. Lampshaded by the Dean of the Agricultural Department:
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A lightish purple tone.
A cheerful 1st year girl who has nothing but bread on the brain, to the point where her nickname is Bread Crazy. She specialises in baking bread.
Trademark Favorite Food: Bread, apt for someone with the moniker of 'Bread Crazy'. She sniffed flour during the first day of school, and She has a reputation for stealing other students bread to eat. Cemented in her first appearance, where she's being scolded for breaking plates that was being baked in an oven so that she could make bread.
A mischievous teenager with a theatrical flair who specialises in B-class cuisine, mostly street-stalls. He's the third son of the Utsurogi group, a Yakuza organisation stationed in the Kantou Region's Kyoto Parliament, and is the leader of Urameshi, a group that runs festival stalls. He's never seen without a festival mask. Joins Shokusen as a First Year student after the Festival Battle.
- Animal Motif: Foxes. His festival mask is Kitsune themed, and personality-wise, he can be both teasing and dangerous, which are often associated with foxes.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: A cooking version of the trope. Okonomiyaki spatulas are pretty ordinary, especially for what he tends to be cooking. Okonomiyaki spatulas that are reinforced with enhanced ceramic and connected by a chain over twice his body length, that he uses in a kusarigama-like way to break blades and cook, however? It more than counts as a part of this trope.
- Loophole Abuse: Part of the terms for losing the match between him and Kumoi was to never show his face around Kumoi again. Cue wearing a mask whenever he's around Kumoi—literally not showing his face to Kumoi.
- Sweet Tooth: He's never seen without Kawarinbo lollipops, and his first appearance is him surrounded by snacks and sweets of all kinds.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Kawarinbo lollipops, a three-piece sweet that has a hard candy outer layer, a hard candy (ramune—Japanese soda—in this case)inner layer, and gum that serves as the stick. He's never seen without it.
- Trash of the Titans: All those sweet wrappers seen on Kumoi's bed in volume 4? That was his doing.
- Troll: He takes a lot of pleasure in teasing Kumoi and other people.
Saionji MaiMember of Dragunov's team responsible for Sound.
- The Nicknamer: She always puts nicknames on the people she meets, especially her opponents.
Tojo UrajiMember of Dragunov's team responsible for Sight.
Kitakata HidetsuguMember of Dragunov's team responsible for Flavor.
- Foil: To Nakarai.
Sena ToukaMember of Dragunov's team responsible for texture. A small, young and depressed girl constantly accomapnied by a strange being.
Nakagame NaomiThe Dean of the cooking department an intense woman with strong beliefs about what's needed to be a chef.
Sakaki HajimeA stern but well meaning teacher of the Cooking Department.
Kaide MatsuchiThe Dean of the Agriculture Department.
Sakata MajoricaDean of the Service department, a very campy person.
- Affably Evil: Although he is extremely vocal of his distaste for cuisine and eccentric to the highest degree, he isn't really mean and genuinely believes he is doing good.
- Big Bad: Of the Science Department Arc, being the one luring Tachibana to join them and leading the team against the main group.
- The Corruptor: To Tachibana.
- Mad Scientist: Acknowledged as such. He behaves largely in an insane manner and seeks to devour knowledge.
- Non-Action Big Bad: He isn't faced off at the end of the Battle of the Five Senses, rather, the battle is against the 5 specialist students he gathered in the Science Department while he serves as an inspiration for them and their mentor.