Characters: Katekyo Hitman Reborn Protagonists
This is a listing of the protagonists of Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. YMMV items and subjectives go in the YMMV page for the series. For the main character sheet see here. Contains unmarked spoilers.
open/close all folders
Tsunayoshi "Tsuna" Sawada
Tsuna was a useless kid
who wasn't good at sports and couldn't talk to girls
to save his life. Well, that's before he met a particular infant hitman named Reborn
, who turned his life around forever. It just so happens that 'No Good' Tsuna is the future boss
of the Vongola
, the greatest mafia family in Italy. He's far from no-good these days though, beating down
anyone who threatens the people he loves with the power of his Dying Will Flame. But the villains always seem to be cynical about his height
His brow ever furrowed, he holds his fists up as in prayer... That is the Vongola Decimo.
- Accidental Pervert: In the very first chapter. This lead to Death Equals Redemption. Literally. Reborn killed him, invoking Dying Will... Pulling Mochida's hair out...
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga his eye color is closer to yellow/orange/gold than it is to brown.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Reborn, and the Vongola family by extension, want him to become the boss as soon as possible, though he's reluctant about the whole ordeal.
- All-Loving Hero: He'll forgive anyone—including people who are completely un-remorseful. He won't kill either, although freezing Xanxus counts as okay. And so does reducing Byakuran into nothingness, apparently, but that was sorta justified, a bit.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Used to laugh and call him names. But then Rudolph became a Mafia Boss.
- An Ice Person: His Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition, which is primarily used for sealing Dying Will Flames and those who use them.
- Animals Hate Him: Dogs do not like Tsuna. Well, when he got older, supposedly over time. When he was younger, it was actually a dog that wanted to lick him, but poor guy was so terrified he cried.
- Anime Hair: It's been like that since birth, as the wiki states (look under the Trivia Section), and no conditioner can bring it down.
- Benevolent Boss: Despite his reluctance, his unbiased compassion to others have earned the friendships of several who were once his enemies.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason why he likes Kyoko.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Even mentioning his friends in a sentence with a threat in it will provoke a violent reaction.
- Bishōnen: Post-Art Evolution.
- Book Dumb: Getting a "2" on his test, yet he's (when he puts his mind to it) able to figure out how to properly utilize his X-Burner within a few days.
- Break the Cutie: Happens every arc. Usually as a result of trusting people too easily.
- Butt Monkey: It gets less apparent as the show goes on, but he can never catch a break until he becomes the boss.
- Cannot Spit It Out: To Kyoko. Still can't really tell her what he wants, but he's getting there.
- Subverted, since he does in the very first chapter (with a little help from Reborn). Unfortunately she takes it for a joke.
- Cool Pet: Y'know, that lion thing with the hat.
- Cry Cute
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair, brown eyes.
- Deadly Dodging
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Shamal had to check Tsuna's chest to tell that he's not a girl. Perhaps a case of Failed a Spot Check, but then again, Tsuna's almost to Kyoko levels in his manliness.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He seems to be subject to this a lot. He's willing to die for Kyoko, despite hardly knowing her at the time or even talking to her. And in more recent chapters, there's his interactions and relationship with Yuni. The entire thing is made to have a sort of "Knight in Shining Armor protecting the Damsel in Distress" feel. In fact, it appears that what pushed and influenced Tsuna to decide to take her under his wing and protect her was the tear-filled, self-sacrificing feeling in her eyes.
- Energy Absorption: Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Possibly. Gokudera and Mukuro's actions around him certainly says much.
- Expecting Someone Taller
- Extreme Doormat: At first. He's gotten better.
- Eye Color Change: Tsuna's eyes are normally brown. However, when he goes into Dying Will Mode, they change into an orange-ish yellow.
- Flash Step
- Friend to All Children
- Go Karting With Naito Longchamp
- Goroawase Number: 27 is a pun on Tsuna, and it appears on his gloves and headset.
- Gravity Master: Briefly when his and Enma"s Rings combined to create the Oath Flame so he could defeat Daemon Spade.
- Heroic BSOD:
- After finding out that his own father (supposedly) killed Enma's parents.
- And now after his father defeated him in one hit.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Did this a lot in the beginning, and still does sometimes. It's also something that pisses Reborn off immensely, and is shown as something he'll have to get over eventually. So when Tsuna demonstrates even a tiny bit of self confidence, Reborn regards it as a vast improvement.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Initially, but after the Kokuyo arc he's gotten better at this.
- Hyper Awareness: Runs in his blood.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Idiot Hero: Has terrible grades and thinks Reborn's true form is a different person named Chaos.
- Improbable Weapon User: The X-Gloves. While pretty badass looking, they're still gloves. Non-combat form: Woolly Mittens.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: His eyes are normally brown, but when he goes into Dying Will Mode, they change to an orange-ish yellow.
- Kame Hame Hadoken: His X-Burner, which shoots a large blast of Dying Will Flames. Taken Up to Eleven with the XX-Burner as it has the strength of two X-Burners combined. Previously, Tsuna had to use one hand for the X-Burner and the other to keep himself from being blown away. The XX-Burner uses both hands for the attack.
- Kid Hero
- Kid with the Leash: His relationship with Gokudera has shades of this, combined with Morality Chain.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Kyoko and Nana look surprisingly alike, and Tsuna thinks she's the prettiest girl ever.
- Like You Were Dying: Pretty much used to be his Catch Phrase. Or maybe the Punch Line...
- Lovable Coward
- Loved Ones Montage: Yup. Of course.
- Luminescent Blush
- Mafia Prince: Used to be one before Reborn came along.
- Magic Pants
- Magnetic Hero
- Martyr Without a Cause
- Meaningful Name: Each member of the Vongola Family line, all the way from the First to Tsunayoshi (the Tenth), is named after a Tokugawa Shogun.
- Meaningful Funeral: Subverted. Only TYL!Gokudera was there.
- Mind Rape: As a part of the Vongola Trial of Succession.
- Mistaken for Gay: In an early chapter, poor Tsuna gets mistaken at school for "becoming Gokudera's bitch," since Gokudera suddenly became... very affectionate towards Tsuna. Gokudera certainly didn't deny it.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Only Sane Man: His unfortunate position as the straight man amongst a gang of complete lunatics provides much of the comic relief throughout the story.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse
- Power Fist: His weapon can be considered one in a sense.
- The Promise
- Save the Villain
- Shirtless Scene
- Shrinking Violet: A male, Moe Moe version. Very shy, can't talk with girls, hates standing out, and only wants to live life like a normal boy.
- Signature Move: The Zero Point Breakthrough and later the X-Burner.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: In his Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Manga-wise, his eyes actually are a golden color, as compared to his anime self who has brown eyes that turn orange in his Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Tareme Eyes: They make him look like a girl. This changes into Tsurime Eyes he goes into Hyper Dying Will Mode, albeit it's somewhat subtle.
- Teach Him Anger
- This Loser Is You: 'No Good' Tsuna, at least at the very beginning.
- Thou Shall Not Kill: Played straight till he actually killed Byakuran, who had become pretty inhuman by that point. And then double subverted when Byakuran is revealed to still be alive.
- Tranquil Fury: Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Turn the Other Cheek
- Uke: Probably the most Badass one ever created.
- Unexpected Successor
- Unlucky Everydude
- Unstoppable Rage: Normal Dying Will Mode.
10th Vongola Storm Guardian
Voiced by: Hidekazu Ichinose (Present), Asako Yoshida (Child)
At first, it seemed as if Gokudera was just your average, foreign delinquent
. He even came equipped with you standard-issue cigarettes
and the crowd of admiring classmates. But then he was beat by Tsuna, and of course, Defeat Means Friendship
, so he started his pursuit of being the "Tenth's" right hand man
. This didn't mean that he would be nice
people, though. But when it really comes down to it, his aggressive tendencies have somewhat pacified due to his interactions with those other
- Action Bomb: His Vongola Gear turns Uri into this, who then shrinks afterwards.
- Ambiguously Bi: He has considerable Ho Yay towards Tsuna (though its not clear if its really love or just Undying Loyalty). He also blushed and had a nosebleed upon seeing Lal Mirch (a beautiful woman) naked.
- Anti-Hero: He's a pretty big jerk towards anyone who isn't Tsuna. But he's not so bad after all.
- Arm Cannon
- Bandage Dude: Ring Conflict Outfit. Full Stop.
- Battle Butler: May not actually be a butler, but the trope fits him to a T.
- Bodyguard Crush
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- But Not Too Foreign
- Canine Companion: Actually a feline companion.
- Cats Are Mean: And leopards are just jerkasses.
- Chick Magnet: Many girls in his class are infatuated with him, because all girls want bad boys. He doesn't appreciate the attention.
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Determinator: Deconstructed. Gokudera will do anything to assure Tsuna's victory up to and including giving up his own life, and that is the problem. Tsuna calls him out on it.
- Devoted to You: To Tsuna.
- Face Palm: When he realized that he was once again in that familiar circle, yelling, "VONGOLA... FIGHT!!!"
- Fan of Underdog: Which is actually an understatement.
- Green Eyes
- Grenade Spam
- Hates Being Touched: In direct conflict with Yamamoto's No Sense of Personal Space.
- Hidden Eyes
- I Owe You My Life: Although this isn't the sole reason for his devotion to Tsuna, it was the trigger that made him see Tsuna as the boss he would like to follow.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: It's difficult spotting Hayato without some "bad boy" accessories, like chains, fingerless gloves, flashy belts, spikes, studs, earrings (in his TYL appearance). He and Mukuro seem to have similar tastes in clothing, ironically enough.
- Improbable Weapon User: If there isn't much people out there using flying dynamite as a weapon...
- In Love With Tsuna's Carnage
- Japanese Delinquent
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Lancer
- Loony Fan
- Mad Bomber
- Major Injury Underreaction
- Martyr With Out A Cause: Shows some signs of this in the Varia arc. Tsuna calls him out on it.
- Mr. Fanservice
- New Transfer Student
- No Smoking: In the anime, where his bombs suffer from spontaneous combustion.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Whenever he's doing something particularly smart, he pulls them out of nowhere. Oh, and a chalkboard to go with it.
- May actually need them to read things up close.
- Red Baron: "Smoking Bomb" Hayato in the manga, "Hurricane Bomb" Hayato in the anime.
- Say My Name: One of the worst perpetrators of this. "JUUUDAIMEEE!!" There are even compilations of him saying this on Youtube that can go on forever.
- Shirtless Scene
- Smart Guy: You wouldn't know looking at him, but he is ridiculously smart. Hell, no one else would teach a kid how to swim with MIT-level arithmetic.
- Smoking Is Cool: In the manga, where he is a chain smoker and uses cigarettes to light up his bombs. Lately there haven't been many chapters where Gokudera used a cigarette, or his original dynamite sticks.
- Sprouting Ears: Whenever he's really happy (usually because of praise from Tsuna) he grows doggy ears and a tail◊.
- Stalker with a Crush: Albeit, a much nicer one than the standard.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Undying Loyalty: Hell, his entire character song is dedicated to his undying loyalty for Tsuna.
- Weak, but Skilled: His strengths lie mainly in his intelligence and his use of techniques.
- Weaponized Animal: The Uri Bomb. See Action Bomb above.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Why Did It Have To Be My Sis?: Because of being forced to eat her poison cooking as a child, Gokudera instinctively suffers from a stomachache in Bianchi's presence (though they eventually realise they can work around that by making Bianchi wear goggles).
10th Vongola Rain Guardian
Voiced by: Suguru Inoue
You're a baseball star. The jock. Everyone loves and admires you. How could your life get any better? Give the kid a sword
, and make that sword a katana
, then teach him an awesome way to use it
! And with that, you get the Badass known as Yamamoto. You wouldn't tell how badass he is by looking
, because it's always sunny in Yamamotoville. The kid's been a constant, and welcome
presence in Tsuna's family
. And with a little help, he's taken more levels in badass
than anyone else. Gokudera hates him.
- A Friend in Need: At the beginning of the story he almost commited suicide when he thought he'd never be able to play baseball again. But the moment a friend is in danger he's happy to sacrifice whatever it takes in order to save them, be it his arm or his entire baseball career.
- The Ace: Star athlete, swordsman prodigy, natural-born assassin, incredibly Nice Guy, and generally just great enough at everything he does that even the likes of Squalo and Hibari acknowledge his talent.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When this guy gives even the smallest of frowns, get the fuck out.
- Big Damn Heroes: In Chapter 325, Yamamoto comes back from a near death experience that took him out roughly 30 chapters ago to save the ass of the dude who put him in the hospital in the first place. And it was awesome.
- Book Dumb: Subverted; he tends to get low test scores like Tsuna, but it's because he's so busy with baseball that he sleeps in class and doesn't bother to crack open his books.
- Chick Magnet: A lot of the girls in his class are smitten with him. He doesn't understand why they like to give him free lunches though.
- Cool Bike: Cool Airbike? No!
- Cool Pet: Two of them!
- Cool Sword
- Dual Wielding: And triple wielding, and quadruple wielding.
- Easily Forgiven: Has a habit of doing this; his friends' list include two guys who attempted to murder him, and he regards Byakuran as 'an old acquaintance'.
- Failed a Spot Check: "Oh, are you playing Mafia again? This looks fun, let me join in!"
- Fan of Underdog
- Friend to All Children: He's very nice to Lambo and I-Pin, gets along well with Colonello when they're paired together in the anime, and has a noticeably close relationship with Reborn (who usually gets around by perching on Yamamoto's shoulder). Though the latter two might count as subversions given that they're adults in kid's bodies.
- Friendly Enemy:
- With Squalo. He tried to get to know Squalo better during their first fight, was distressed when it seemed Squalo had been eaten, was delighted to see him alive and well after the timeskip and seemed genuinely devastated when Squalo was rumored to be killed. On Squalo's side, he seems to act like a Tsundere towards Yamamoto, often calling him names and even at one point knocking him unconscious. However, when he heard that the Yamamoto of the future stopped his swordsmanship in order to pursue baseball, Squalo went out of his way to create Dvds of one hundred battles in hopes of getting Yamamoto interested in the sword again. He also become Yamamoto's teacher later on.
- With Kaoru as well. He befriends him right off the bat despite his appearance, and continues to regard him as a friend even after Kaoru attempted to (literally) tear him in half and nearly crippled him for life. On Kaoru's part he sacrificed himself to take a blow for Yamamoto, betraying his own Famiglia by doing so.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has one on his chin in the future.
- Hard Work Fallacy: He nearly tried to kill himself over it early in the manga, but Tsuna talked him out of it.
- Interrupted Suicide: Thank you, Tsuna. You stopped him from killing himself over a broken arm. Well, in the manga.
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Kicking Your Sword Always Works: Shigure Soen Ryu 3rd Stance: Yarazu no Ame (Last Minute Rain).
- The Lancer
- Like Father, Like Son: Both father and son are very nice and a little spacey, with a hidden core of badass.
- Making a Splash: Uses the water around him in most fights to boost his Shigure Soen Ryu techniques. Makes sense since he is the rain attribute.
- Missing Mom
- Mr. Fanservice
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: Shigure Soen Ryu, all the way.
- Nice Guy: Try insanely nice guy.
- No Sense of Personal Space: In direct conflict with Gokudera's Hates Being Touched.
- OOC Is Serious Business: In the anime, losing the game of Choice leads to him becoming impatient and outright ruthless in battle. It ends with him being the only person to lose their Guardian trial, though he gets himself together when Agetsu lets him retake it.
- One Head Taller: Than most of the cast.
- The Pollyanna: An eternal optimist, he's incredibly laid back, especially for a shounen character, and is usually cheerful and smiling, even when he's fighting for his life.
- Razor Wind: His Vongola Gear allows him to use the 12th Stance of Shigure Soen Ryu which uses two attacks, one of which happens to be this type of attack that can also "sniff people out" (Sadachi: Kirisame (Brazen Left Blade: Drizzle)).
- Secret Keeper: Reborn told him the secret of the Arcobaleno roughly 150 chapters before it became public knowledge. Ironic since he's usually one of the ones who knows the least about what's going on.
- Signature Move: All of the Shigure Soen Ryu styles, but particularly the 8th Stance Shinotsuku Ame (Pelting Rain).
- Sorry I'm Late: Said those very words. Twice.
- Spam Attack: His Vongola Gear allows him to use the 12th Stance of Shigure Soen Ryu that uses two attacks, one of which is this type of attack (Udachi: Kirisame (Brazen Right Blade: Drizzle)). It involves multiple swallows made up of Dying Will Flames of the Rain flying up and piercing an opponent.
- Stepford Smiler: Shows signs of being this at times. Fanon usually takes such subtleties and runs with 'em for all they're worth.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Like Tsuna; he deliberately uses the blunt side of his sword to avoid fatal blows. It's a sign of how furious he is with Daemon Spade's manipulations that he doesn't hesitate to say he'll kill him.
- Time Stands Still: Not really, but his Aggregate Art: Jiunoka's (Rainy Metamorphosis) tranquil power is so intense anyone caught in it stands completely still.
10th Vongola Thunder Guardian
Lambo is a Five Year Old Assassin
that came from Italy. He has a habit of pulling weapons out of his hair
, most notably when he's either trying to blow himself, or someone else up. He was really out to get Reborn, but every conflict ends up in a Nonchalant Dodge
and Non-Fatal Explosions
. In spite of the constant defeat, it doesn't equal friendship. Just a visit from Mr. Future Self
- Awesome, but Impractical: As pointed out in-story, his 'Elettrico Cornata' looks cool but has never hit an opponent due to its very short range. Until 20YL Lambo works around the fault by projecting the lightning forwards.
- Badass Baritone: 20YL Lambo.
- Future Badass: While the 10YL Lambo is still a wimp, who also gets some badass moments, the 20YL Lambo is definitely badass.
- Berserk Button: Lambo loves Tsuna's mom, and anything that threatens her is met with lethal force. Ryohei even used Lambo's feelings for Tsuna's mom to force him to unleash his Vongola Box Weapon.
- Bishōnen: His 10YL form. Doubly so for his 20YL form.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He's the kind of kid that makes babysitting a living hell to anyone with less patience than Kyoko and Haru.
- Butt Monkey: In the present he is 100% Butt Monkey. 10 years in the future, it's a 50-50 case. But in 20 years...
- Catch Phrase:
- "Ga...man...n" (usually translated as 'tolerate', 'hold it in', etc.), said right before he's about to cry.
- 10YL Lambo has "Yare yare" ('My oh my') almost any time he makes an appearance.
- Chick Magnet: 10YL Lambo. He received so much chocolate on Valentine's Day that he got a nosebleed from eating it all.
- Cowardly Lion: While regular Lambo thinks he's a badass and 20YL Lambo legitimately is one, 10YL Lambo is much more aware of danger and would rather stay away from it. It doesn't stop him from eventually stepping up to the plate when he's needed, with varying results.
- Emotional Powers: He only ever uses his Vongola powers when angry, sad, or homesick.
- Enfante Terrible
- Extra Ore Dinary: His new Vongola Gear can use his flames to magnetize iron sand for metal constructs.
- Fun Size: No, that's◊ not how 5 year old looks like in real life!
- Funny Afro
- Green Eyes
- Grenade Spam: Fond of doing this whenever he's really upset.
- Hairy Hammerspace: He once took a pair of bird feet out of it! Well, without the bird.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: People keep forgetting that he's 5 years old yet still forced to fight and often abused for laughs.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Revealed in the Inheritance Ceremony Arc that he wants to be like the Guardians and do everything they do because he's lonely.
- Identical Stranger: His 10YL self is the spitting image of Bianchi's ex-boyfriend, unfortunately for him.
- Improbable Age: He's a 5-year-old hitman, though he's not taken seriously by anyone.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Frequently. There's a reason one of his nicknames is 'Crybaby Lambo'.
- A Load of Bull: His Animal Motif. Also his Box Weapon.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Slightly subverted, as Lambo's shield has an offensive capability, Corna Fulmine (Lightning Horns).
- Mr. Fanservice: At age 25. His age 15 self isn't too hard on the eyes, either.
- Only One Name
- Shock and Awe: Besides being the Lightning Guardian, he can absorb electricity through his body, and his future selves can channel it through their horns for attacks.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Third-Person Person
- Unknown Rival: To Reborn at the beginning of the story. Currently, though, he seems to have forgotten.
- Younger than They Look: 10YL Lambo, suave ladies' man that's frequently referred to as 'Adult Lambo', is only fifteen years old.
Ryohei is Extreme
10th Vongola Sun Guardian
. His (empty) club is extreme. His mentor is extreme. Everything he does is extreme. The guy is always training, extremely hard, and he gets even more extreme when he doesn't
train. He may seem like something of an extreme virtual airhead sometimes, but there seems to be some kind of extreme logic to his madness
. He seems to always be trying to recruit Tsuna
into his extreme boxing club. He's just not taking no for an answer
- Awesome, but Impractical: Ryohei's Vongola Gear power allows him to absorb the damage of his opponent's attacks and reflect it onto his opponent. However, this requires him to allow himself to get hit and if the opponent hits too hard, Ryohei could go down without throwing a punch.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Big Brother Instinct
- Book Dumb
- Boxing Kangaroo: The wounds on Kangaryu are from the sparring sessions she has with his future self.
- Catch Phrase: "TO THE EXTREME!!!"
- Dumbass Has a Point: A couple of the manga splash pages have him point out oddities like Hibari's catch phrase or Chrome's name.
- Elemental Punch/Kame Hame Hadoken: The "Sunshine Counter" attack that comes with his new Vongola Gear lets his punches shoot concentrated blasts of Sun Flames.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia: His Box Weapon.
- Extremity Extremist: TO THE EXTREME!!
- Fan of Underdog
- Forgetful Jones: Resolved in the future by actually taking notes.
- Good Is Dumb
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Crossing his left eyebrow.
- Gray Eyes
- Handwraps of Awesome
- Healing Factor: His Sun Flames speed up his natural healing process. He also has a Sun Trowel that can heal others' wounds.
- Heroic Resolve
- Hot-Blooded: So much so that the Dying Will Bullet has no effect on him!
- How Much More Can He Take: His fight with Kouyou.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Punched Tsuna, of all people, for telling Kyoko the truth about the Future Conflict.
- Large Ham: "I'm a Large Ham TO THE EXTREME!"
- Leeroy Jenkins: No surprise coming from the dumb, hot-blooded boxer.
- Mr. Fanservice
- No Indoor Voice: He does have one, it's just that he tends to forget it.
- Odd Friendship: With Hibari (though calling it 'friendship' is a stretch). Emphasised in the anime when they work together to protect Namimori.
- Official Couple: With Hana Kurokawa in the TYL arc.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Downplayed; there are people who refer to him by his proper name, but it's much more common for him to be called Turf Top/Big Brother/Senpai.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: He's an excellent boxer and the strongest Guardian in terms of physical prowess, and yet is one of the weaker fighters in the group by virtue of the others just being better.
- Pointless Band-Aid: He's still wearing it ten years in the future.
- Power Fist
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs
- Scars Are Forever: The scar on his forehead.
- Shirtless Scene: Almost always fights like this. It's justified though since he's a boxer.
- Shoryuken: Maximum Cannon. Also Sunshine Uppercut.
- Spam Attack: Maximum Ingram, in which he leaves after images of himself and they all use Maximum Cannon.
- Super Drowning Skills: He has a very... unique swimming style.
- Terrible Artist: See for yourself (spoilers for the Future arc).
- Talk to the Fist
10th Vongola Cloud Guardian
Congratulations. You're the Student Council President
of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council
. You can get away with ''anything''
. You even have that Red Armband Of Leadership
. Hey, Wait!
, that's not you
. That's Hibari. The Curb-Stomp Battle
personified. He will
be In Love with Your Carnage
, so don't fight anywhere near him and his Automatically Violent
self. Violent to anything and everything other than his Cute Critters
, whom he won't attack even if they pierce his hand
. Remember, don't piss him off or he will
"bite you to death
- Aloof Ally
- Animal Theme Naming: Hibari can mean skylark. Explains why he's so fond of animals, particularly birds.
- Anti-Hero: Type V.
- Asexuality: Married to his school.
- Axe Crazy: He's definitely one of the most Axe Crazy characters in the series. Yes, even more than pretty much all of the Big Bads so far.
- Badass: Oh so very badass.
- Big Damn Heroes: In a helicopter.
- Blood Knight: Fighting is pretty much Kyoya's sole motivation to be a Guardian.
- Can't Hold His Liquor
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Gola Mosca barely saw what hit him. But then again, it was intentional.
- Catch Phrase:
- "I'll bite you to death." An odd catch phrase that was made fun of in a splash page of the manga. After Hibari says this to Gola Mosca, Ryohei imagines him actually biting Mosca's head off.
- In the case of Chibi Vampire Hibarin, "I'll suck you to death".
- Devil in Plain Sight: Though it's more that everyone is too terrified to take notice.
- Dual Tonfas
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Has a grappling hook hidden in his tonfa.
- Hates Being Touched: He will bite you to death if you crowd.
- Improbable Weapon User: Handcuffs, anyone?
- In Love with Your Carnage
- It's All About Me: It is indeed.
- Japanese Delinquent
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Half carrying Gokudera to find Tsuna in Kokuyo Land, how nice of him. Not! He literally throws Gokudera aside afterwards, and it turns out he only helped the latter so they could be "even". Let's not even get started on the countless times he turned up to kick enemy butt and then says "They were crowding".
- Lack of Empathy
- Loyal Animal Companion: Hibird and his hedgehogs.
- Lyrical Dissonance: His song, Horizon, sounds a bit too upbeat to have lines like "I'll bite you to death."
- Major Injury Underreaction
- Married To The School
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nonchalant Dodge: When Bel was throwing knives at him.
- Odd Friendship: With Ryohei (though calling it 'friendship' is a stretch). Emphasised in the anime when they work together to protect Namimori.
- One-Man Army
- Pet the Dog:
- His pets. Also, his future self's efforts to save a dying Chrome.
- He did accept the chocolate I-Pin gave him without so much as a frown. In the anime he doesn't take the group's hard-earned summer festival cash because he sees that she's upset.
- When Tsuna was suffering from a Heroic BSOD, Hibari tells Tsuna that his face is boring and for Tsuna to watch Hibari's fight closely. For Hibari, this can be seen as his own way of attempting to cheer Tsuna up.
- During his battle with Adelheid, he says that Tsuna will "bite the sky, one day". Meaning that he knows that Tsuna will grow up to become very powerful. Considering that TYL!Tsuna is one of the only people that TYL!Hibari respects due to losing to him, this means he's looking forward to the day when Tsuna is that strong.
- Anytime Hibari even minutely acknowledges the other protagonists as being strong at all counts.
- Red Armband of Leadership: Wherever he goes. It practically defines him.
- Satellite Love Interest: I-Pin only seems to be infatuated with Hibari because he looks like an older version of her master.
- Sidekick Ex Machina
- Sink or Swim Mentor: His Ten Years into the Future Self is this for Tsuna.
- Smug Super: Let's face it. He's not humble. At all. And he's incredibly proud. The only thing is... he really does have the fighting genius and strength to back up his huge ego.
- Spoiled Brat: He expects everything he wants to go his way. And no one seems to discourage this attitude of his. It doesn't help that he pretty much has a hold on all the authority figures in charge.
- Student Council President: He not only rules the school, he rules the whole town!
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Token Evil Teammate: He comes very close to being one. Really, his sole redeeming factors are his dedication to Namimori and his weak spot for cute animals.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Weaksauce Weakness: Badass as he is, this guy can be taken down by cherry blossoms. Even after he receives medication for it he doesn't like to talk about or be around sakura trees.
- Whip It Good: His Vongola X Gear.
- Wild Card: It's part of being the Cloud Guardian.
10th Vongola Mist Guardian (shared with Chrome)
Voiced by: Toshinobu Iida
He's the trident wielding guy with a Dark Past
that you don't want to know about. In some completely lucky way, Mukuro has been reborn in all stages of hell, and remembers all of it. Due to that, he's gained Magical Eye
powers and has been dead set on taking over
Tsuna's body. But after the dirty tactics failed
, he ended up being employed in the job of being the guardian of the person who beat him
. Nowadays, he spends his time in the head of a girl who looks just like him, occasionally dropping by
to save the day... Or something.
- A Handful for an Eye
- Action Fashionista
- Agent Peacock
- Anime Hair: His "pineapple" hairstyle. How do those spikes stay in place all the time?
- Badass Longcoat: His future self pulls this off in all its badassery.
- Baleful Polymorph: While he can possess animals on his own accord, Mukuro's forced into his owl's body when D.Spade steals his.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't compare his haircut to a pineapple while he's in earshot.
- A less comical example would be how much he hates to be controlled. According to him, it's the main reason he was so pissed off towards Big Bad Daemon Spade during the Inheritance Ceremony arc.
- Big Damn Heroes: For Chrome in the Future arc.
- Bishounen: His astounding semblance to Chrome should give you a hint.
- Blade on a Stick
- Combat Pragmatist
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Defeat Means Friendship: Kind of... sort of. At least Tsuna thinks so.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Easily Forgiven: Tsuna forgives him a few months later after he tried killing Tsuna and all of his friends. And he didn't even apologize. Oh, and Lancia (who was possessed by Mukuro and killed all of his own friends) forgave him, too—for Tsuna's sake.
- Evil Laugh: Kufufufufu~
- Evil Sounds Deep: He has the deepest and most mature voice out all the Guardians.
- Eye Scream
- Faking the Dead
- Fighting Dirty: Using every trick in the book... and then some.
- Flaw Exploitation
- Grand Theft Me: His plans for Tsuna as well as his main means of controlling his People Puppets. Also in a case of quite glorious irony, what he temporarily suffered courtesy of Daemon Spade.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Aside from the Kokuyo uniform, he's rather fond of this.
- Hellish Pupils: One, shape shifting hellish pupil.
- High-Class Glass: Daemon Spade's Devil Lens which can see through illusions and find weak spots
- I Surrender, Suckers
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: His outfit changes every time he appears, but be assured it will feature at least three of the following: A pair of boots, a leather jacket, a Badass Long Coat, stylish T-shirts, a pair of gloves (be they normal ones or fingerless ones), Too Many Belts, a necklace, earrings, etc..
- Improvised Weapon
- In the Back: His favorite tactic.
- Lack of Empathy: Although he does have his Pet the Dog moments.
- Keigo: Although slightly less polite due to his use of boku, kimi, and occasionally omae.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Manipulative Bastard
- Master of Illusion: And thus he is the first pick for being the Mist Guardian.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to "Six Paths Corpse". Fitting, no?
- Morphic Resonance: Whenever Mukuro possesses his Box Owl, it gains his red right eye. His most recent possesion of Mukurowl resulted in the bird somehow having his pineapple hair tuff as well.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Changing the ugly world into a pure and beautiful sea of blood, starting a world war... he qualifies, no?
- Noble Demon
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Being the Magnificent Bastard he is, during his first meeting with Tsuna, he pretends to be a poor, innocent boy who was kidnapped by... Rokudo Mukuro.
- People Jars: As of Chapter 346, he's no longer one since he was freed by the Vindice themselves.
- People Puppets: He controls them via Grand Theft Me.
- Pet the Dog:
- He stayed behind so his cronies could escape after a failed prison break. He also appears to have great affection for Chrome.
- His interaction with TYE!Fran can also be seen as this.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Type 2.
- Psychotic Smirk: Pretty much all the time.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!
- Screw Yourself: By the circumstances, Chrome is technically Mukuro and Mukuro is technically Chrome.
- Sidekick Ex Machina
- Significant Anagram
- Simple Staff: His and Chrome's Vongola Gear, which enhances their illusions.
- Stepford Smiler: Even when poking himself in the eye.
- He forces himself to smile even when he is clearly very pissed off.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Thigh-High Boots: A rare male example.
- Token Evil Teammate: Subverted. He wants to destroy the mafia crime families.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Wild Card
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In a pineapple hairstyle to boot.
- Younger than They Look: He looks, sounds, and acts as if he were in his early twenties. He's 15.
10th Vongola Mist Guardian (shared with Mukuro)
She's the only girl in the group
, equipped with an infamous spear
and an ambiguous eyepatch
. She reminds you of someone, right? Oh yeah, that guy with the blue hair
who tried to possess
Tsuna. Well, Chrome and Mukuro are
pretty much one in the same; a packaged deal. Gokudera
mistrusts her, especially after she stole away Tsuna's First Kiss
. She gets the sympathy for having imaginary organs
. Though she hasn't been given much of a chance, she's managed to prove herself competent in battle (her first appearence and her fight with Glo Xinia) and seems to be gaining confidence as the series progresses.
- Bare Your Midriff: You can see her organs disappearing!
- Battle Couple: With Mukuro.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Chrome's illusions and beast summons can be quite scary.
- Big Damn Heroes: In Chapters 382 & 383.
- Blade on a Stick: What she uses after Mukuro was released and took his trident back.
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Can't Live Without You: Chrome is reliant on Mukuro to create/maintain her illusionary organs. In the Future arc, she learns how to create them herself, but can only do so by using the Vongola Mist Ring, a fact that Daemon Spade has no qualms taking advantage of.
- The Chick
- Deflector Shields: "Cortina Nebia", a mist barrier that is directly linked to Chrome's life. If it breaks, she breaks.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Faux Action Girl: Invoked. As it turns out, a good deal of the reason she relies so heavily on Mukuro is because she wants to. Once she realizes that she'd rather be his equal and help protect him and their friends she upgrades to full out Action Girl, shocking everyone with her skill.
- Gogo Enslavement: While not quite as fanservicy as the trope usually implies, Daemon's first order of business after he pulls a Hypnotize the Princess on her is making her change into the Simon Middle School uniform.
- High-Class Glass: Daemon Spade's Devil Lens which can see through illusions.
- Hypnotize the Princess: After trying to convince her to pull a Face-Heel Turn fails, Daemon decides to "punish" her.
- Ill Girl: A good number of her organs are actually illusions created by Mukuro to replace the ones she lost in a car accident.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Mukuro, by her own choice.
- Luminescent Blush
- Mad Love: Of course Mukuro does seem to love her back in his own twisted way.
- Magic Skirt
- Master of Illusion: Although not as much of a master as Mukuro, that is, until the Future arc. Mammon/Viper even complimented her skills in one of the recent chapters. As it turns out she is far more powerful than she lets on.
- Mind-Control Eyes
- Morality Pet: Plays this role for Mukuro.
- New Transfer Student: Chrome officially transfers into Namimori Middle School in Chapter 349.
- Parental Neglect: Her mother and step-father barely even hesitate before deciding to leave her to die after her car crash. The dad is more concerned with his business meetings and the mom refuses to do an organ transplant on the grounds that she doesn't want her body chopped up for a child whom saving "just doesn't seem worth it."
- Prongs of Poseidon
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl
- Significant Anagram: Chrome (Kuromu) Dokuro... Mukuro Rokudo... hmmmm.... To be fair, her name before meeting Mukuro was Nagi, meaning this was very much intentional.
- Simple Staff: Her and Mukuro's Vongola Gear which enhances their illusions.
- The Smurfette Principle: Amongst the guardians, at least.
- Tareme Eyes
- Technicolor Eyes
- Took a Level in Badass:
- Her fight with Glo Xinia, when she manages to successfully create realistic illusions of Ken and Chikusa and an illusory body for Mukuro to take over instead of her.
- Chapter 383. That is all.
- Undying Loyalty: Chrome would rather let herself die than betray or be used against Mukuro.
- Unequal Pairing: With Mukuro.
- Willfully Weak: It is revealed that part of the reason she is a Faux Action Girl is because she wants to rely on Mukuro.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: And of course, pineapple shaped!
- Zettai Ryouiki: While wearing the Simon Middle School uniform, and what looks to be a Grade A too.