- A heroic example in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series: Calvin is framed for a water balloon attack he didn't do, and thus ends up having to clear his name.
- Happens to Don Paolo in the Professor Layton fanfic Knights and Knaves. Inspector Chelmey hauls him in for questioning about a series of mysterious clues that have been cropping up across London - simply because he doesn't have any better ideas about who might be responsible. Don Paolo protests his innocence, and is in fact telling the truth.
- In Phantom of Beika Street (a Detective Conan/Danny Phantom crossover), an bright explosion somehow causes a large amount of green goo to splatter everywhere. Yamamoto accused Kaito since he was right next to it when it happened and he's known for such stunts, but Kaito nearly quotes this trope. His answer actually satisfies everyone since they're aware that if he was responsible, he would be taking credit for it.
- In Superman and Man, Christopher briefly wonders if Lex Luthor is the one body-swapped his body with Superman's... but Luthor's bafflement makes clear he has nothing to do with it."I thought it would be so much harder than this. I've fought you before. Many times. You know that. In any of our other fights, by this time, we'd have knocked each other all the way to Metro Airport. What's wrong with you? Did somebody else get to you before I did?"
Focusing, the actor said, "So. It wasn't really you who. Did this to me?"
"Did what to you?"
- In the A Date With Destiny section of the Code Mars Trilogy, Mars seeks to rescue the hostages from the JLF during the hotel jacking. She finds Zero and accuses him being behind it. Unaware of Zero's sudden entrance, he clearly tells her he wasn't behind it, showing the real mastermind's dead body.
- Zig-zagged in the Attack on Titan fanfic, My Child, when Levi and Mikasa's child is about to die, Levi asks Xaphan, the demon who's trying to take his soul, if he knows anything, but Xaphan responds, "Oh, because I'm a demon, everything's my fault? I see how it is. Well, it doesn't matter." and says that if Levi doesn't give him his soul, his child will die. Once Levi signs the contract, Xaphan admits that he was lying all along, so it is possible that he was responsible.
- In The Fairly OddParents! fanfic, Never Had A Friend Like Me, there's a rare hero to hero version of this trope. Jorgen thinks Timmy caused the magical chaos that led to disappearance of the anti-fairies and pixies.
- From Ask Fluffle Puff, when Queen Chrysalis and Fluffle Puff find out that the Library Tree was destroyed (by Tirek in the Season 4 finale of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) while they were on vacation, Chrysalis is prompt to tell Twilight Sparkle that it wasn't her, this time.
- In The Vinyl Scratch Tapes, when Vinyl confronts Prince Blueblood over him "stealing" an interview with Princess Luna from her, he has no idea what she's talking about. Luna had actually cancelled her interview on her own initiative to be with Blueblood due to her concern over him, because jackass he may be, he was still family, and she had been in too similar a situation for her to ignore him.
- In Say It Thrice, Betelgeuse claims that he is (mostly) not to blame for Lydia's injuries when Adam and Barbara automatically assume the worst. That honor belongs to Sanduleak.
- In Friendship Is Magical Girls, Trixie is questioned about a museum robbery. She points out that if she had done it, she wouldn't have had to kill any of the guards.
- The Great Alicorn Hunt: When Malfunziona escapes his can, a peeved Applejack assumes that he's another one of Celestia's "time released" prisoners that she didn't tell anyone about. In fact, Celestia's never even heard of Malfunziona; he was actually sealed by an expy of Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Corrin Reacts: Niles, Corrin and Kana all deny spiking the wine at the party in Castle Krakenburg. It turns out to be Orochi, who was attempting to prove herself a superior potionmaster to Hayato.
- This Bites!: Played with. Water 7 being on fire is mostly Cross's fault, but part of it was actually Franky's doing from a few years back.
- Pokémon Reset Bloodlines: On seeing a procession of oddly-behaving Poison-Type Pokémon in Crimson City Park, Ash thinks it's a Team Rocket scheme. But the Terrible Trio bursts out of their hiding place, protesting their innocence. As it turns out, they were actually being mind-controlled by a Bloodliner named Belladonna as part of a scheme to kill her girlfriend's estranged father.
- In How the Light Gets In: Laurel is suddenly resurrected. When Oliver sees her he immediately assumes Dean, her husband, is responsible, only for Dean to deny it. Sara also assumes it Dean, who denies it again, and Sara in turn says it wasn't her either. When her parents learn of it, they also think it was Dean, leading to this:Dean: [exasperated] Why does everyone keep asking me that? note
[beat as the entire Lance family stare at him incredulously]
Dean: [rolls his eyes] All right, I can see why people keep asking me that.
- Meta example in Child of the Storm's sequel Ghosts of the Past: in the chapter where Harry Dresden raises an undead T-rex to fight the necromancers threatening Chicago, the author (who is noted to be quite Crazy Awesome and has a penchant for making up ideas that seem absurd but then work out magnificently) had to point out that, for once, this was not his idea.
- My Mirror, Sword and Shield: Cornelia and Kallen believe Euphemia was murdered on Lelouch's orders. Lelouch had nothing to do with it as she was murdered by her jealous lover Sir Raleigh who believed she was cheating on him with Suzaku. Schneizel especially doesn't believe it because Lelouch had before taken hostages of his enemies loved ones and executed them if they stepped out of line. Which he did to Schneizel when Lelouch took Schneizel's lover Kanon hostage. It was year before Schneizel found out that Kanon had been executed.
- Fates Collide: Salem tells Cinder Fall about how Sakura Matou's death benefited her because it left Shirou Emiya in despair and anguish. Salem was able to feed on the negative emotions to strengthen herself and create Grimm. After telling this story, Salem sees the look on Cinder's face and quickly clarifies that she had nothing to do with Sakura's death, she just took advantage of it.
- The Many Dates of Danny Fenton (Danny Phantom Western Animation, TV Series, and Comic Books.): During Danny's date with Kim Possible, an explosion catches their attention. He figured one of his usual villains were causing trouble, only to see two people he doesn't recognize, Doctor Drakken and Shego. He quickly learns they're Kim's villains.
- In the version of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged by Team Four Star, Alucard is a Jerkass Sociopathic Hero Blood Knight who is basically the logical result of what would happen if you gave the biggest Troll on the Internet unstoppable superpowers. So when he's involved in an incident with the police in Brazil, Integra's first assumption is that it's his fault and she calls bullshit when Alucard protests that he was just minding his own business until the police turned up and started shooting. Alucard is being entirely honest — he hadn't done a thing (yet) to get his door kicked in by SWAT. They were actually bribed by the villains into attacking him. It probably didn't help that he greeted them with Your Mom, though.Integra: What did you do?
Alucard: All right... but you can't be mad at me.
Integra: What did you do?
Alucard: Okay... first, I was minding my own business—
Integra: [furiously slams her hand on the desk] BULLSHIT!
Alucard: I was!
Integra: And exactly what happened whilst you were "minding your own business"?!
Alucard: So I was just chillaxin' in my room like a baller, and then all of a sudden these schmucks kick in my door, one of them yelled out "Get on your knees!" And I responded with 'I'm not your mother last night!' [beat] And they took exception to that.
SWAT: [Scream as they open fire at full auto until Alucard looks like Swiss cheese]
- In the Dragon Ball Z Abridged version of Dragon Ball Z: Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan, Goku initially assumes Cell destroyed the South Galaxy after King Kai tells him about what happened. But as it turns out, Cell didn't know the South Galaxy even existed. (Goku quickly tries to get him to forget that he heard it.)
Not Me This Time / Fan Works