Main characters: The Mario Brothers | Allies | The Koopa Kingdom (Bowser - Bowser Jr. - The Koopalings - Bosses) | Assorted Nasties
RPG characters: Super Mario RPG | Paper Mario (64 - The Thousand-Year Door - Super - Sticker Star - Color Splash - The Origami King) | Mario & Luigi (Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser)
Spinoff series: Yoshi's Island | Luigi's Mansion | Mario Golf | Mario Tennis | Super Mario Maker | Donkey Kong series (Donkey Kong) | Wario series (Wario)
Crossovers: Punch-Out!! | Super Smash Bros. | Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games | Skylanders | Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Other media: The 1993 film
BillyA professionally ranked golfer, and the hardest character to beat in the game.
MarkAn amateur golfer that can be challenged in match play.
- Regional Bonus: Only appears in the NA version of the game.
SteveA beginner ranked golfer. The player can play against him in the "bet on 1 hole" mode if they have $500, as well as challenge him in match play.
- Regional Bonus: Only appears in the NA version, but unlike Mark, is the only character within the game to not make an appearance in any Japanese-released game.
- Shout-Out: His name may be a reference to Steve Miles, one of two men who localized the game for the NA market.
TonyA semi-professional ranked golfer, and the second-hardest character to beat after Billy.
PlumOne of the first playable golfers in the game, and a generally well-balanced golfer.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has red hair instead of brown when she appears in the GBC version.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: Only playable in the N64 game, but shows up to explain terms to the player in the GBC version. She also makes appearances in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, as a trophy and sticker, respectively.
CharlieA teenager who is possibly trying to become a great golfer, similar to Plum. He is also a starting character along with Peach, Plum, and Baby Mario.
- Voiced By: David White
A bright and happy golfer, Sonny is very talented and sticks to a traditional play style.
- Secret Character: Unlocked by beating him in 3rd Match of the Get Character mode
HarryTotally confident in his play, Harry's philosophy is "If I play my best game, I'll win!"
- Secret Character: Unlocked by beating him in 5th Match of the Get Character mode
MapleAn energetic gal considered the best female player in the circuit.
- Secret Character: Unlocked by earning 50 Birdie Badges in Tournament Mode.
KidOne of the four playable characters of the game, an unlockable character in Mobile Golf, and the coach of the player in Advance Tour.
- Career-Ending Injury: In the five years between the original game and Advance Tour, he trained so excessively that his muscles were too strained to even pick up a golf club. However, he does finish recovering in the latter game, and returns to playing.
- Child Prodigy: He had apparently started playing golf ever since he was three, and had already become a golfing prodigy at age ten.
- Cutting Off the Branches: Advance Tour states that he was the one to become Grand Champion.
- Girlish Pigtails: She has these in the original game.
Gene YussAn elite golfer that appears suave, intelligent, and sophisticated, though arrogant and self-absorbed.
- Punny Name: Say his name really fast. Did you hear "genius" trying?
- Red Baron: Known as the Birdie King and the Greatest of the Great
- Third-Person Person: In Advance Tour, he refers to himself as "The Gene"
Napple (ナップル Nappuru)A cute little girl, if not competitive and spoiled. She constantly practices to improve her golfing skill and prowess, and is a quick learner.
BeanA rowdy, childish boy who was raised on the ranch. There, he not only does his daily deeds as a cowboy, but he practices golf as well. He is the champion of the first tournament that the player must defeat in singles.
NeilThe male player character.
EllaThe female player character.
BuzzThe male rival.
HelenThe female rival.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.