open/close all folders
Voiced by: Nozomu Sasaki (JP); Vic Mignogna (EN)
- Accidental Pervert: Phenyl calls Edge a pervert for seeing Anna panties when she tripped and fell on the floor (twice).
- Awesome, but Impractical:
- "Soul Burst" is potentiality the strongest skill in the game, but it consumes 3 skill gauges just activate the skill, has long cooldown, and it sacrifices the rest of the skill gauge for extra damage.
- The "Chain Digger" skill. It costs 3 skill gauges and it does damage based on the number of chains, which is only available during Burst Mode.
- Beam Spam: The Fanatos Blade strongest skill, "Godly Beam".
- BFS: Edge's default weapon is a giant sword.
- Cast from Hit Points: In his Fanatos Blade form, Edge has two skills that greatly lowers his HP : "Shadow's End" (damage an enemy) and "Sacrifice" (heal the others).
- Chained by Fashion: Has chains all over his sword.
- Expy: Of Cloud Strife, who is also a stoic spiky-haired mercenary with a troubled past carrying a big sword that carries smaller blades inside (as seen in his "Windmill" skill).
- Fragile Speedster: The Plua Blade class has low attack power, but is ridiculous fast. It also has attacks like "Blink", which give him extra turns.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Well, he's not really a jerk, but with his permanent scowl, he certainly looks like one. He's actually embarrassed to admit it when he's being kind!
- Life Drain: Jiptus Blades' "Soul Eater" skill allows Edge to drain HP from the enemies.
- Mighty Glacier:
- The Jiptus Blades form is the slowest class, but also has the highest offensive power and durability.
- The Fanatos Blade form exceeds in both physical and magic attacks, but is very slow.
- Necromancer: The Jiptus Blade can sacrifice enemy drops to summon undeads to attack, poison and curse the enemies.
- One-Hit KO: "Crazed Burial" instantly kills anyone who has been turned into a coffin.
- The Paralyzer: "Ark Coffin" traps an enemy inside a Iron Maiden-like coffin, preventing them from attacking for a while.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Edge's default form has a skill called "Windmill", where he attack the enemy with multiple boomerang-like blades.
- Storm of Blades: "Illusion Edge" has him surround an enemy with many kunais.
- Supporting Protagonist: Apart from the very beginning of the Rufina sidequest, Edge could have been completely removed from the game without hardly changing the story at all.
- Sword Beam: "Pyre Bunker", Edge's first skill, has him open his mechanical sword and unleash a huge fire beam.
- Time Master: Faustus Blades grants him skills that can slow down enemies or remove time-delayed attacks.
Voiced by: Miyu Matsuki (JP); Michelle Ruff (EN)
- Badass Bookworm
- Character Title: While she is not the same Iris from the previous two games (Iris Blanchimont), its still works.
- The Ditz: Iris comes across as one. This is mostly because the game uses her to ask the player's questions, but also because she doesn't tell her friends about her visions, at first.
- Heroic Lineage: The mysterious voice refers to her as a member of one. Indeed, her lineage is responsible for sealing the Uroborus.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Iris sacrifices herself to seal Uroborus and save the world. This can be subverted by doind the "Truth and Darkness" quest.
- Magic Staff: Her weapon. It deals magic damage.
- Squishy Wizard: Iris lacks attack power and defense, but is great with healing spells and dealing magic damage. Also, unlike Edge and Nell, she cannot change classes.
- Summon Magic: While she can't change classes, Iris can summon the Manas she made a pact with during battles.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: To Iris Blanchimont, from the previous games.
- Vapor Wear: Iris Sexy Backless Outfit made it pretty clear that she don't like wearing bras.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Crowley puts deadly curse on Iris, to force her into searching for the Escalario.
Voiced by: Natsumi Yanase (JP); Jessica Straus (EN)
- Attack Animal: With the "Quick Panther" skill, Nell can summon panthers to attack.
- Baleful Polymorph: "Trick or Treat" can turn the enemies into candy items.
- Boobs of Steel: Nell's breasts are bigger that Iris, and she can equip Blades.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to her sister Yula.
- Fallen Princess: Comes from a formerly wealthy family.
- Jousting Lance: Her weapon of choice when using Diemia Blades class. Exaggerated with the "Chariot" skill, where Nell launches a rocket-sized lance on the enemies.
- Lethal Chef: Played for Laughs, as it doesn't affect the quest success, but letting her add a Vanilla Syrup or a Laughing Shroom in Meyna's birthday cake will have a catastrophic result.
- Marionette Master: By using the Faustus Blades, Nell can fight alongside a marionette. The puppet has skills that can inflict Curse and Instant Death status effects.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is probably the most blatant example. She's incredibly busty, sports Underboobs in some of her outfits, and wears a midriff-baring top and a short skirt in her standard outfit.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: To her sister Yula. Nell is a friendly, chatty and fun-loving girl, while Yula is much more quiet, mature and serious.
- Summon Magic: The Siren Blades has skills where Nell summon kobolds to attack the enemies.
- White Magician Girl: The Nymph Blades focus on healing and status buff.
Raider's Guild Staff
Annastra "Anna" Servatika
Voiced by: Junko Ueda (JP); Jessica Straus (English)
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Played straight when she trips on the floor and Edge menages to see her underwear.
- Mission Control: She is the receptionist and handles most normal quests.
- Shrinking Violet: Very shy.
Voiced by: Sayaka Narita (JP); Sandy Fox (EN)
- Berserk Button: Calling her short is a easy way to provoke her.
- Bratty Half-Pint: She is short and has a terrible temper.
- Crush Blush: Toward Edge. While Phenyl never admits to like him, she blushes when he comes to report a well succeeded quest.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Sort of. The better you get at your job the nicer she will treat you.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Wears a black dress with lots of ribbons.
- Mission Control: Serves as one for monster-slaying sidequests.
- The Napoleon: Don't try to say anything about Phenyl's height, even if you do it indirectly. Just look at what happened to Ewan and Funan.
- Tsundere: Several of Phenyl's portraits hint this.
Voiced by: Miwa Kôzuki (JP); Amanda Winn-Lee (EN)
- Da Chief: She is the Guild Master of the Raiders Guild.
- Samus Is a Girl: Unknown to most, the guild-master is a woman.
- Tragic Keepsake: Subverted with her husband's sword, as she throws it in the lake.
- Tranquil Fury: Played for Laughs. Noella will descend into this should anyone pokes the topic about her age.
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (JP); Derek Stephen Prince (EN)
- BFS: Much like Edge, he carries a big sword.
- Blood Knight: Becomes much more aggressive after making a pact with Crowley.
- Idiot Hair: He has one. That's saying something...
- Leitmotif: "Crisis Cross", which plays during his last boss fight.
- Recurring Boss: Is fought three times (four, if count the the third time as two battles) over the course of the game.
- Unknown Rival: To Edge and his team.
- Unwitting Pawn: He ends up being manipulated by Crowley.
Voiced by: Hazuki Nishikawa (JP); Wendee Lee (EN)
- Aloof Big Sister: She is much colder than Nell and threats her sister coldly, going as far as to abandon her.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to her sister Nell.
- Carry a Big Stick: Her weapon of choice is a big club.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Made up with Nell and gives up on her search for the Escalario after being defeated in Grimoire Castle.
- Fallen Princess: Her family used to be very wealthy. Yula hopes to use the Escalario to regain her family's wealthy.
- Leitmotif: The song "Skittering Sisters" plays every time she appears. Yula also has her own boss battle theme: "Rain of Blossoms".
- Muscles Are Meaningless: She carries a club twice her size.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Personalty-wise, she is the polar opposite of Nell.
Voiced by: Kunihiro Kawamoto (JP); Derek Stephen Prince (EN)
- Casting a Shadow: During his boss fight, he summon swords made of darkness.
- Disc-One Final Boss: While he appears to be the main villain, Crowley is defeated and killed in during Chapter 7 mission.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Crowley was originally a weak and low ranked raider, but after coming into contact with the Shadow Gem, he become a strong and manipulative individual. Justified, as he was possessed.
- Grand Theft Me: Crowley is being possessed by an evil alchemist from many years ago in the Dark Gem. The poor guy didn't even get to die as himself.
- Leitmotif: "Desire and Commandment", which plays during his boss fight.
- No Name Given: Not Crowley himself, but the unnamed evil alchemist using his body to antagonize the heroes trough the game.
- Powers via Possession: Crowley's powers come from the evil alchemist possessing him.
- Villain Teleportation: Can teleport and spends most of his time stalking the other characters.
Ash F. Abenstein
Voiced by: Daiki Matsubayashi (JP); Kirk Thornton (EN)
- The Ace: He is the world's most famous Raider.
- Dual Wield: Wields a pair of swords.
- Hero Antagonist: Wants to use the Escalario to stop the awakening of the Uroborus and save the world.
- Jerkass: Looks down and badmouths Edge every time he can.
- Leitmotif: The opening theme "schwarzweiß" during his boss fight.
- Recurring Element: He is the rival Master Swordsman of the game, similar to Arlin and Chaos, who is impossible to defeat at first.
- Storm of Blades: Can summon countless floating red swords to attack the party and defend himself.
Zey Meruze Residents
Voiced by: Satoshi Katôgi (JP); Patrick Seitz (EN)
- Bishōnen: Very effeminate looking.
- Casanova Wannabe: Flirts with every girl he meets, but never succeeds.
- Recurring Element: The game's perverted character, like Delsus and Poe before him.
- Red Baron: "The Wise One".
- Legacy Character: Appears in other games, but his appearance greatly changes, unlike Hagel and Pamela.
- Legacy Character: Bald, mustached smiths named Hagel appears is other Atelier games.
Voiced by: Miwa Satsuki (JP); Sandy Fox (EN)
- Girlish Pigtails: Her hairstyle.
Voiced by: Narita Sayaka (JP); Wendee Lee (EN)
- The Eeyore: She is unfriendly.
- The Stoic: According to a NPC, Ella didn't bat an eye during the earthquake.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Toward Phenyl.
- Stalker with a Crush: Loves Phenyl andfollows her around, hoping to be noticed by her.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Develops masochist tendencies after being stepped-on by Phenyl.
- Cuteness Proximity: He is obsessed with fishes.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Despite his love for fishes, Funan himself is a pretty bad fisherman and relies on Edge to catch them for him.
- Small Name, Big Ego: He is bad at fishing and his words (which are supposed to be... poetic) hardly make sense, but that doesn't stop him from bragging in front of others.
Kremeyna "Meyna" Neju
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Pamela was apparently this in life. In a mission to discover how she died, it is revealed that she fell off a stool when trying to get something out of an upper cupboard shelf and landed on her head.
- Legacy Character: Ghost girls named Pamela appears in other Atelier games, though they're not the exact same character.
- Brown Note: Her songs will draw monsters. Subverted later when it turns out the monsters come because they actually love to watch her sing, just like the rest of her fans.
- Cat Girl: Her species.
- Idol Singer: She becomes one later.
- Winged Humanoid: Her species. Only Edge can see her.