Characters: Scandinavia and the World
open/close all folders
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Åland can be a real jerk to his cousin, Finland. As for Scania and Fenno-Swede, the author says, "All the children in SatW are completely fucked."
- Norse by Norsewest: Mainly averted. The comic shows the countries' stereotypes of each other rather than the Hollywood stereotype of them, and goes out the way to show that each country has their own distinct cultures.
- Power Trio: Denmark as the Id, Norway the Ego and Sweden as the Superego.
"If he asked... I'd let him do me."
- Alcohol Hic: "Hi America, and welcome to Denmark *hiccup*"
- The Alcoholic: Almost always seen with a beer bottle in his hand, and usually showing evidence of having already drunk several by the time a given comic begins.
- Ambiguously Gay: And he does push the envelope.
- Anything That Moves. And a fair number of things that don't.
- Big Eater: He likes smørrebrød, a type of sandwich piled high with fillings.
- Big "NO!": Denmark uttered this when the beer ghost came for his beer.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As seen here. Sure, he asks if he's gonna get laid, but only after he makes Sister Australia's wish come true.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: Towards Norway, considering how many wars he fought over him and his reaction to losing him.
- Elegant Classical Musician: He apparently plays the violin. But from Sweden's reaction he could either be a Dreadful Musician or just snarks on Denmark's perverse pass on Sister Germany.
- Epic Fail: Denmark used Swedish! Missed by a Mile!
- Ethical Slut: Not as much as Sister Sweden, but qualifies with some redeeming traits.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Denmark has a certain appeal for straight guys, according to the author.
- Extreme Omnisexual: Word of God is that his specific orientation is "everythingsexual." He does seem to end up with guys more often, though, and not just because of the gender bias in the cast. Weirdly, he seems to hit on more women but ends up sleeping with more men.
- The Hedonist: The resident party animal.
- If I Can't Have You: If Denmark can't win The North Pole's love, he'd rather have her stay as an Ice Queen.
- Idiot Hair: To fit his idiot personality.
- Idiot Hero: Certainly dumber than the rest of the characters. This is extra funny when you take the author's origin into consideration.
- Innocent Bigot: In Monkey Man, Denmark mistakes South Africa for a monkey. This does not end well.note
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: He doesn't look quite as manly as his fellow Scandinavian countries, as he appears smaller and more sensitive than them. The way he often clings on to Norway is a plus.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy : He lets Norway go to save him from Sweden.
- Jerkass: Towards Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroe Islands in this comic.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He cares a lot for Norway, and maybe Sweden as well deep down. He also didn't ask Sister Australia if he was going to get laid before making her wish come true first.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Per Word of God: "Denmark doesn't care what you are. Only thing that matters is if you want to have sex with him or not."
- Mood-Swinger: He was pretty unpredictable back in the old days. Still has some shades of it now.
- Our Mermen Are Different: No, really...
- Playing To The Fetishes: He's not above playing on Sister Japan's Yaoi Fangirl fantasies to get her in his bed. Such as by assaulting Germany in front of her.
- Really Gets Around: Cue being a huge pervert most of the time.
- Self-Deprecation: Denmark is the character who's made fun of and is stereotyped to a ridiculous degree, as well as being an alcoholic, perverted Jerkass, moreso than Norway and Sweden. Now, guess Humon's origin.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive guy to Norway's manly man.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: With Sweden, though mostly in strips focusing on internal Nordic relations. Other times they're shown alongside each other (and Norway) with no apparent animosity, especially if they're representing Scandinavia as a whole and/or interacting with another part of the world.
- Sleep Cute: With Norway.
- Teeny Weenie: Poor thing starts sobbing over it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Sweden. They couldn't have fought so much and still hang out otherwise.
- Made even more clear in Favorite Friends.
"You need to get your mind out of the gutter, Denmark."
- Adorkable: He is a stereotypical geek, and he feels embarrassed and blushes more than the rest of the characters.
- Ambiguously Gay: Before the introduction of Åland.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Finland; although most of the belligerence is from Finland. They've had sex at least once, and Word of God said it was due to their Axis Powers Hetalia personality swap, where Sweden is the cold one and Finland the cuddly one and scared of Sweden, not the other way around as it is in Humon's comics.
- Berserk Button/Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?
- Bestiality Is Depraved: "I was a stupid teenager! I was horny! And it was a really cute horse!"
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a pretty nice guy now, but every once in a while, we get hints of the reason why the rest of the world feared him...
- Big Brother Instinct: Or so he claims. He outright says this once, with different reactions from the Nordic countries.
- Big "NO!": In Long Cold Nights.
- Blind Without 'Em: And they're so thick that when Denmark steals them he's blind with them.
- Broken Record: "No war! No war! No war! No war! No war! No war! No war! No war!"
- Character Development: Sweden is the character who by far has changed the most since the beginning. He started off with his sexuality being only a subtle implication that was never spoken of and he always dodged about, but over time he slowly has been opening up, and eventually he acquired a boyfriend.
- Character Tics/Expressive Hair: Sweden's hair sticks out when he's angry or frustrated.
- The Comically Serious: Usually plays the Straight Man role to the rest of the cast.
- Deadpan Snarker: Again, as part of his Only Sane Man role.
- Friend to All Living Things: To a lesser degree than Norway but still one. Early in the comics, he's seen looking after his moose. Much to Denmark's horror of finding one.
- Gag Penis: Apparently, he has the biggest penis of all the Nordic countries, simply because Sweden has the biggest population.
- Nerd Glasses: Since the stereotype of Swedes is tech geeks.
- Nightmare Fetishist: If this comic is anything to go by.
- Only Sane Man: What Sweden sees himself as.
- Oops! I Forgot I Was Married: Norway reminded him of their three year anniversary and was quite upset Sweden kept forgetting. Denmark didn't want them to divorce since his country just allowed same sex marriage.
- Pacifist: Aspires to be an Actual Pacifist, but in practice more of a Martial Pacifist or Technical Pacifist (especially where Denmark is concerned).
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With his sister. One really has to wonder how they ended up so different.
- Promotion to Parent: To his nephew Scania; he didn't really want the boy growing up idolizing irresponsible Denmark or flighty Sister Sweden.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: With Denmark, though mostly in strips focusing on internal Nordic relations. Other times they're shown alongside each other (and Norway) with no apparent animosity, especially if they're representing Scandinavia as a whole and/or interacting with another part of the world.
- The Smart Guy: The brains of the group.
- Straight Gay: He comes out of the closet partway through the series and starts going out with Aland, but he's the Straight Man of the group.
- Transparent Closet: Though he comes out of it later, a reference to the fact that Sweden is one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world.
- Tsundere: Towards Denmark.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Denmark. They couldn't have fought so much and still hang out otherwise.
- To a lesser extent, Norway, surprisingly, when it's Truth in Television that Norwegians and Swedes make fun of each other more.
- Walking Techfix: "*PLING*"
"I don't like the zoo. I prefer seeing the animals out in the wild..."
- The Bear: Norway is a Big Beautiful Man with a nice Carpet of Virility, strong muscles, but with just the right amount of chub. Denmark admits to having a preference for this type, which is probably why he ends up sleeping with Norway a lot.
- The Beastmaster: A fantasy sketch depicts him as a Viking warrior with command over wolves and eagles. (Probably not intended to carry over to the main comic.)
- Berserk Button: Don't take his coffee. This happens.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He has his occasional moments, but he's usually the Straight Man.
- Even The Lesbians Want Him: According to the author.
- Friend to All Living Things: Except for polar bears, though it's the polar bears who are Always Chaotic Evil. He's also not too kind to whales...
- Gentle Giant: Taller than the rest of the cast, but also the most kind.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Norway seems to be relatively straight, he just happens to have lots and lots of fairly ambiguous sex with Denmark. There was also Jan Mayen (see Kissing Cousins).
- Kissing Cousins/Fridge Horror: Norway introduced the others to his cousin Jan Mayen as his "friend". Sweden commented that he looked dead. It was later revealed that Norway and Jan Mayen used to have an incestuous relationship, and that Jan Mayen got killed for it. That means Norway is keeping the corpse of his dead lover somewhere in his house...
- Must Have Caffeine: NOM NOM NOM
- Narcissist: According to the author, he is pretty damn in love with himself.
- Nice Guy: Definitely when compared to Denmark and Sweden.
- Only Sane Man: He's by far the most laid-back of the main four. Compared to Sweden being uptight, Finland being Axe Crazy and Denmark being a Cloud Cuckoolander, he's the most likely to just observe from afar without getting involved.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Norway does this when upset.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly man to Denmark's sensitive guy.
- Sleep Cute: With Denmark.
- Straight Man: Most of the time, anyway.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He's usually seen with a fish, which sometimes doubles as a Head Pet / Empathy Pet.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sweden, surprisingly, and it's Truth in Television that they make fun of each other to a ridiculous degree, but they both see it as a friendly, sibling nudge.
- The Alcoholic: Never seen without booze in hand.
- Ax-Crazy/An Axe to Grind: As seen here.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sweden. They've had sex at least once, and Word of God said it was due to their Axis Powers Hetalia personality swap, where Sweden is the cold one and Finland the cuddly one and scared of Sweden, not the other way around as it is in Humon's comics.
- Berserk Button: Taking Finland's coffee, Finland losing at hockey, or laughing at his hat.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Has a moment of this by throwing the Cluster Perkele Bomb when he loses to Denmark in hockey. It doesn't help the fact that he was also thrashing around and had a broken hockey stick at his feet.
- Broken Record/Cluster Perkele Bomb: He says Perkele 306 times when initially losing ice hockey to Denmark.
- Carpet of Virility: Not as much as Canada's though.
- Casual Kink: He is a BDSM submissive to Sister Sweden.
- Catch Phrase/Foreign Cussword: "Perkele..." For the most part, this is the only actual word he speaks. The rest of his "dialogue" is limited to "*evil snigger*" or "*grunt*".
- Cold Sniper: Finland shot a key out of Åland's hand. FROM SWITZERLAND. (This is a Shout-Out to Simo Häyhä.)Switzerland: Nice shot.
- Enemy to All Living Things: Punches deer in the ass. Just because.
- Frenemy: Sometimes he chases the other Nordics around with an axe, sometimes he invites them over to relax in his sauna.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Nobody knows what his problem is (partly because he won't talk about it).
- Improbable Aiming Skills: See Cold Sniper. A reference to one of the standout examples of this trope, Simo Häyhä.
- Knife Nut: Finns are stereotypically seen as always carrying knives, so of course he has one.
- Lethal Chef: King Europe thought Finland's cuisine was so bad, he forced Åland to live with him as a cook. His desert's resemblance to poop is a running joke.
- Likes Older Women: According to his porn preferences, he's a fan of the experienced ladies.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Sorry, Finland, she is.
- Nice Hat: Which he almost never removes.
- Perpetual Frowner: Except when the maniacal grin shows up — then, run!
- The Quiet One: Humon originally wanted him to be medically mute, but later decided he's mute by choice. He'll really only swear, and talk if he has to. The most he ever says is (roughly) "Are you mocking my hat...?" and "You're mocking me..." in the strip where Humon has everyone talking in their native languages.
- Serious Business:
- Throws Cluster Perkele Bomb tantrums over losing at ice hockey.
- He's also not too crazy that he knows Swedish, or that his nephew speaks nothing but Swedish.
- Sign Language: Sometimes he waves his arms around in his own bastardized version of this (before resorting to using literal signs) though Aland gave up on trying to understand after he used similar gestures for "Vodka!" and "There's a cat under the house!"
- Talking with Signs: Sometimes resorts to this to communicate without speaking, though hilariously even his signs are often wordless pictograms.
- Token Evil Teammate: Depends on your definition of "evil."
- Tsundere: Towards Sweden, although Deredere!Finland wasn't exactly himself that day...
- Used To Be A Sweet Finn: According to Humon, Finland was a happy person back when he and Sweden were friends, but became the angry, drunken, knife wielding maniac we know after they had a falling out.
"You guys always try to shut me out of everything!"
- Asexuality: He's either this or self-sexual. Either way, we're not getting a piece of him. Although his high point voting in the Eurovision comics for Denmark may hint he's interested in getting with them.
- Badass: He skydives into volcanoes for fun, keeps dark matter demons as pets, walks on lava, and upon discovering his highest point, immediately wants to parachute off it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Oh, hell yes. *shiver* One of many moments - he holds up the urn containing Vinland's ashes to show Christiania, Kven, and FennoSwede what he does to children who misbehave when they get a bit too rambunctious while staying with him.
- Bishie Sparkle: To emphasize his "prettiness". Lampshaded in the Halloween comic where Iceland dresses up as a vampire. And yet he specifically dressed up more like Dracula...
- Bishōnen: Whenever the Nordics are drawn in a more realistic style, he's clearly this.
- Compensating for Something: Iceland has... disturbing ways of compensating for his small... population. Such as his severed penis collection (based on an actual penis museum in Iceland), and three cars.Iceland: I ALREADY GOT THREE HUGE CARS!!! IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!! IT'S NEVER ENOUGH!!!
- Cool Shades: He wears a pair of ski goggles, meant to highlight his adventurous nature.
- Covert Pervert: The rest of the Nordics search for his porn habits... and decide he needs to get away for a while.
- I Call Him Mr Happy: Iceland named a penis Drjóli. Not his own, mind you... In a Bilingual Bonus, "Drjóli" is apparently an Icelandic slang word that means... "penis".
- Lethal Chef:
- Though he does eat healthy. When King Europe is trying Nordic food, he just stares in shock at the plate of boiled sheep's head and testicles that Iceland offers him.
- Sweden and Norway's fermented fish isn't interesting enough. Iceland prefers poisonous rotten shark that's been buried for three months.
- Magma Man: According to Word of God, "Icelanders can walk on lava and control it's flow." He hasn't done the second part in the comics so far, but we have seen him walk on lava and skydive into volcanoes without any harm.
- Mood-Swinger: He can go from happy to angry in space of a single panel.
- Narcissist: When the Nordic countries said "I love you" in their respective languages to someone/something, Iceland spoke to his reflection in the mirror.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Word of God says that his slightly twisted mind is a result of living so close to Hekla, the gateway to hell. His porn preference implies and further drives the point with the other Nordics in this comic.note
- Our Demons Are Different: As a result of having The Gateway to Hell in his territory, Iceland has "dark matter demons" hanging around his house. He treats them as somewhere between cute pet and annoying pest.
- Out of Focus: As seen in the above quote. Humon herself forgot to add poor Iceland in the Christmas Episode.
- Sore Loser: Shows himself as one several times, most notably in this comic.
- Teeny Weenie: It's heavily implied, due to his small...population, while trying to compensate with an animal penis collection and three huge cars.
"I found your porn collection!"
- Bifauxnen: Was mistaken for a cute long-haired guy by France.
- Butch Lesbian: Not so much "butch" as "extremely tomboyish", but still mostly into girls.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Like her brother.
- Smoking Is Cool: Again, like her brother.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Finland.....
- Anything That Moves: Mostly Finland, but she's not exclusive by any means. Sweden is especially disgusted to find that Denmark is the father of her son, Scania.
- Cool Big Sis: Though Sweden seems embarrassed by her.
- Dominatrix. And don't the fellas love it.
- Dude Magnet: The whole "Swedish bombshell" trope applies in full force.
- Ethical Slut: Happy to lend out her strap-on to a sister in need.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Not as much as Sister Denmark though.
- Sexy Scandinavian: She is possibly the Trope Codifier.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Sweden. Her brother tries to be uptight and by the book, while she, on the other hand...
- It's hinted that they're more alike than they seem on the surface, and just happen to emphasize different aspects of their shared personality.
"Wha...I don't...Why are you watching that?"
- The Generic Girl: Has the least characterization out of the female cast, and is mainly used as a Straight Man.
- Huge Girl Tiny Guy: She's bigger than most of the other males, when shown in non-chibi form.
- Only Sane Woman: She has the comedic foil role of her brother, without his Cloudcuckoolander moments.
- Skinship Grope: With the Denmarks.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Towards Sweden. Though it's less her looks, and more her Knife Nut tendencies (and her, well, sex) that make her abhorrent.
- Badass: Is quite capable of beating up her brother. The only reason why Finland doesn't attempt to murder Fenno-Swede is that mommy wouldn't like it at all.
- Berserk Button: She's destroyed several televisions and a number of tapes of Sister Sweden having sex with Finland, which Sister Sweden insists on watching when she's around.
- Burn the Witch!: It doesn't seem to do much though.
- Dominatrix: Sister Finland tries, but she's not so good at the "sexy" part and she doesn't have slick matching gear.
- Doting Parent: According to this strip, she spoils FennoSwede rotten.
- Knife Nut: Like her brother.
- Kuudere: Has a crush on Sweden that swings between cute and creepy. She was dere-dere enough to let Sister Iceland do a make over with her hair once.
- Nice Hat: Like her brother, wears a bobble cap.
- Perpetual Frowner: Never seen smiling once in the comic, not even when crushing on Sweden.
- The Quiet One: Unlike her brother, she never speaks at all, not even to swear.
"Oooooh! A pony!"
- All Girls Like Ponies: See quote.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Easily distracted by things like, say, ponies.
- Cool Shades: Ski goggles.
Islands, Autonomous Regions, Territories, Etc
"Come out come out wherever you are, Russia!!! You wanted my "special services" didn't you!? Then come over here and get it!!"
- Badass Gay/Badass Bookworm: One of only two (three if you count sister Finland) who can put Finland in his place, terrifies Russia, yet just as smart as his boyfriend Sweden.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Seems like a fairly nice and unassuming guy on the surface, but just ask Russia or Finland what happens when you push his buttons.
- Brainy Brunette
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: "Special services".
- Gender Bender: In one strip, Humon turns Åland into a girl ("Tada! You [and Sweden] are now free to make out!"). But it's only temporary.
- Love Makes You Crazy
- Not So Different: Despite his frustration with his cousin Finland, he shares some of his more violent tendencies.'Sweden:' An ax? You do your Finnish genes proud.
- Straight Gay: Like Sweden, he doesn't have any Camp Gay mannerisms to give it away.
- Supreme Chef: Why King Europe had him stay with Finland.
- Yandere: Averted. Despite being completely love-struck, when he finds out Sweden is already married he simply replies with 'You can be quite the crappy boyfriend Sweden'.
"Go fuck yourself, Denmark! You ruined my life!"
- The Alcoholic: And it's Denmark's fault.
- Eyes Always Shut: Seems to be always squinting.
- Grumpy Bear: Always grouchy and resents Denmark.
- Perpetual Frowner: Except once. And then another time, although he wasn't exactly smiling...
- Precision F-Strike: See quote.
"It's me! The Faroes! We live together! I pay rent to you!"
- Armored Closet Gay: Possibly. He had the same explosive nosebleed as Sister Japan when Netherlands and Denmark were pandering to her Yaoi Fangirl tendencies in "Ungodly Surprise".
- Ascended Extra: Since Humon got a Faroese roommate, he's been getting a lot more screen time.
- Forgettable Character: He lives with Denmark, but Denmark only remembers him when he owes money.
- Genki Girl: Sister Faroes looks to be this.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: "SHUT UP OR THE GOD DAMN WHALE GETS IT!!!"
- Idiot Hair: He seems to have gained one on the back/center of his head as of Not Norway.
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny: Since the Faroes are more religious than most of Scandinavia, he gets the whole repression thing full force.
- Sweet Tooth: Boy, does he hold a grudge when Norway doesn't give him chocolate.
- Took a Level in Badass: He bashed Netherlands and Denmark over the head with a giant cross in Ungodly Surprise.
- You Are What You Hate
"I'm not mumbling. That's how I talk..."
- The Chew Toy: Sweden doesn't seem to respect him at all.
- Disappeared Dad: Subverted—Denmark is his father, though neither of them knows it. (When Sweden finds out, he tells Scania his father was killed in a car accident so that the boy wouldn't look up to the irresponsible Denmark as a role model.)
- Missing Mom: Well, she's still present, but his mother, Sister Sweden doesn't seem to have much investment in his life. Sweden is the one that raised him.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: To Sweden
The son of Sweden and Sister Finland.
- Cheerful Child: Despite his insane family. Apparently it's because his mother spoils him. note
- Cool Shades: Usually has a pair of these on his forehead.
- The Voiceless: He doesn't speak very often. Most he's said to date are "Yes!" and "No sir!". He speaks Swedish (shown by the flag in his bubble) which pisses Finland off to no end. This is a reflection of real life Fenno-Swedes.
"You were being an idiot, that's what happened."
- Aloof Big Brother: Usually hangs out by himself.
- Badass Beard: His facial hair is magnificent.
- Cold Sniper: Has to be, what with all the polar bears around.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a large scar on his face.
- The Hermit: Of the "wilderness survivalist" variety.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Norway introduced him as his twin. In terms of personality, they're completely different. Norway is a friendly Nice Guy, Svalbard is a bit more brusque and cold.
- Kissing Cousins: Implied by Norway
- Posthumous Character: Was apparently executed during the Renaissance for having an incestuous relationship with Norway, which is only revealed several strips after his first appearance. Sweden points out that "he looks dead". That's right, Norway introduces his friends to the dead body of his onetime lover/cousin. Which he keeps around to have conversations with. (In real life, Jan Mayen is an inhospitable volcanic island with no real population other than some researchers.)
- Ambiguously Gay: If Eurovision is anything to go by.
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Was quicker to rebel against Sweden than Scania.
- Messy Hair
- Pity the Kidnapper: When Denmark had to give Bornholm up to Sweden, Bornholm responded by beating Sweden up until he let him go back.
- Undying Loyalty: To Denmark.
- Cool Reindeer: Rides one.
- Nice Hat: A red fez.
- Santa Claus: Yup, Santa is a Sami. Deal with it, Finland and Sweden.
"Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude! That butterfly looks stoned!"
- Bratty Half-Pint: Though he and Denmark still love each other.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: His rather feminine-sounding name and strong resemblance to Sister Denmark caused some debate over his gender early on. The only person (besides Denmark, of course) who notices, however, is Japan, because he's used to sorting the girly-looking guys from actual girls.
- The Stoner: "I wanna smoke!!!"
"...I'm already here."
- I'm Standing Right Here: Norway has trouble noticing his existence.
- Nephewism: Possibly this with Norway. The paternity with Fenno-Swede and Scania is the child having the father's language but within the mother's land. So Kven may be Finland and Sister Norway's child.
- Nice Hat: It looks like Cappy's.
"Well, if you must ask; I'm an intellectual who speaks more than 20 languages, my food is excellent, my art is deep, I'm a great lover who is sexy without being vulgar, I rule my kingdom with peace, and I ride a mean scooter."
- The Ace: See the quote.
- Balloon Belly: King Europe got one after he ate two bites of Denmark's dessert.
- Burn the Witch!: Tries to rope the Vatican into having Queen Europe burned at the stake for witchcraft. It... doesn't quite work the way he intended.
- Ready for Lovemaking: When trying to seduce Norway into joining EU.
- Serious Business: Food, apparently. He ordered Åland to move back in with Finland over the former's strenuous protests so that the latter would have a decent cook around the house. He's also quite peeved that Denmark doesn't like his food.
- Stalker with a Crush: Toward Norway.
"Hello, old chaps. Lovely weather."As one of the Nordics' biggest trading partners (and one of the Nordics' favourite former chew toys), England shows up a lot—probably more than any other character except America and Germany. He is also the spokesman character for the (still developing) animated series. Gets along well with Sweden.
- Accidental Pervert: Played for laughs when England thinks he's one in this comic, where he accidentally touches a single hair on Sister Denmark's head and freaks out over it, acting like he's crossed the Moral Event Horizon. Sister Denmark doesn't even notice.note
- British Accent: Naturally.
- For the Evulz: England is excited about the British Royal wedding... for the wrong reasons.
- High-Class Glass: Wears a monocle of course.
- Lethal Chef: Only at Christmas, where he soaks the Christmas Cake in brandy and lights it on fire. The rest of the year, he's fine.
- Parental Neglect: He could have paid more attention to America. It would seem he paid closer attention to his other children as a result, although (given his tendency to smack Australia around sometimes), he may have gone too far in the other direction. (He ignores Sealand, but then again, so does everyone else—including Christiania.)
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Surprise, surprise.
- Slasher Smile: Quite a worryingly common expression.
- Spot of Tea: Shouldn't be surprising to anyone. He likes to have tea parties with Sweden and Japan.
- Team Dad: For America, Canada, Australia and Sealand.
"Vampires are just so irresistible"
- HM The Queen: Her look is a probable Shout-Out.
- Lethal Chef: Has an apparent penchant for adding grated cheese to all her cooking.
- Not So Above It All: Is as susceptible to Romania's charms as many others.
- Proper Lady: As the female counter-part of her brother's Quintessential British Gentleman, she's dressed very primly, with a pearl necklace, matching earrings and a sensible hairdo.
- Team Mum: To Sister America, as well as America, Australia and Canada.
"Hey, why are you wearing that flag, England? What's wrong with your own flag, huh?"
- The Casanova: For sheep apparently.
- Grumpy Bear: As fitting the stereotype.
- Nice Hat: Wears a bobble hat.
- Scotireland: Thankfully averted. Scotland and Ireland appear very different.
- Violent Glaswegian: Though we haven't seen him do anything violent yet, he fits the belligerent part.
"Yeah, you think you can speak on our behalf? Like we don't have our own personality and opinions."
- The Alcoholic: Natch.
- Always Identical Twins: With Northern Ireland, flag notwithstanding.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: His flag is what separates him from Northern Ireland.
- Scotireland: Lampshaded in the quote above.
- Sibling Rivalry: With England.
- Spot of Tea: Has an even bigger cup than England.
"New Zealand! You should have told you me you had been sheared! I would've knocked!"
- Beware the Nice Ones: Wales wrestles a shark.
- Day in the Limelight: In the mini-comic book about the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Interspecies Romance: With New Zealand.
- Sickening Sweethearts: With New Zealand.
- Un Sound Effect: "Key smash!" and "Face key smash!"
"What the-? Are you making weird porn again, Germany?"
- Brains and Bondage: Either that or he's trying to piss off Germany.
- Informed Attribute: There is nothing indicating that he is a Mad Scientist save for Humon's description.
- Mad Scientist: An Informed Attribute so far.
- Porn Stache: A nice blond one.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: It won him (her?) Eurovision 2014!
"I've changed!! I really have!! I'm sorry!! I've changed!! I promise!!"A nice guy, but traumatised by World War II. Shows up a lot, since he's good friends with Denmark, although not as close as Netherlands.
- All Germans Are Nazis: Goes out of his way to demonstrate how this is untrue.
- Apologises a Lot: All the time.
- The Atoner: Has shades of this, out of guilt for Nazi Germany's actions. The characterization of the different nations is related to national stereotypes, so this may be the comic's way of showing that Germany has literally become a different person since World War II. German media also constantly reminds its own population about the horrors Nazi Germany committed, through articles, documentaries or the history lessons in school, and overt displays of patriotism and national pride make Germans a bit uncomfortable (except during the World Cup, of course). This also adds to the stereotype of them constantly apologizing for WWII even if they were not reminded of it by someone.
- Broken Record: Following the above quote.
- Butt Monkey: Denmark and Netherlands just won't stop targeting him with their bizarre sexual fetishes. To be specific, they aren't even interested in him; they just like to assault him in front of Sister Japan to provoke her yaoi-induced nosebleeds. Austria also seems to do this to him.
- Germanic Depressives: Duh!
- Averted in this comic.
- Heroic BSOD: Tends to get them as a result of unexpected references to Naziism or Logic Bombs. "Cute Puppy" sees him suffer a BSOD (complete with Unsound Effect) as a result of a dog giving him a Nazi salute (as trained by Finland), while "Evil Flag" has him go catatonic after the Scandinavians point out that his aversion to seeing his own flag being waved is at odds with the fact that he is wearing a German flag shirt.
- Messy Hair: Humon is Danish, and since the Danes live right next door to Germany, they have a very different stereotype than the American "Nazi" one. Their stereotype is a scruffy guy who loves sausage.
- Ship Tease: With Sister Japan.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Surprisingly, he is nothing like his sister; he is an apologetic, wimpy pushover whereas his sister is a fearsome, scary lady who knocks anyone down if they stare at her Boobs of Steel.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sausage. Not nearly as much as Norway's fish, but he is frequently seen hauling one around.
"YOU WILL LOOK ME IN THE EYES OR DESPAIR!!!"
- Berserk Button: Taken to a ridiculous extent in Iron Lady.Finland's sign: Women should be respected. Lady Germany should be feared.
- Boobs of Steel: Almost literally.Denmark: Dear God! She broke my hand between her breasts! I'll never be able to play the violin again!
- Brawnhilda: Humon says she's an average looking woman who just happens to be very... large.
- Messy Hair
- My Eyes Are Up Here: See quote above.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She is nothing like her brother; she is fearsome and violent whereas Germany is apologetic and wimpy.
- She does share her brother's peach-fuzz mustache, though.
"You know, there's a storm coming, and I was wondering if you would like to stay at my place until it's over?"
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Clearly.
- Gas The Dog: His reaction to the title character in "Evil Puppy" whom Finland trained to give regular Germany a BSOD by performing a Nazi salute.
- Gratuitous German: Certainly more than Brother or Sister Germany, but only in his first appearance.
- Jerk Ass: You betcha.
- Slasher Smile: He does this often, not surprisingly.
- Those Wacky Nazis: ...Duh.
- Yandere: How he feels about regular Germany.
- Badass Moustache: Yeah, another one.
- Narcissist: He wanted Denmark to say "Prussia is awesome" in German if he wanted to be part of the Prussian Empire. A Shout-Out to Axis Powers Hetalia's Prussia.
- Nice Hat: A blinged out helmet.
"I always wondered why Germany digs holes in our beaches."
- Ambiguously Gay: With Denmark. They often team up (sometimes dragging Germany along) for Surprise Yaoi, though whether it's just to get with Sister Japan or because he likes it who knows.
- Berserk Button: Don't dare bring a car on a bike lane.
- Freestate Amsterdam: Of course.
- The Stoner: Always smoking—often with Denmark, with whom he appears to be very good friends.
- Vampire Hunter: Well, Van Helsing was Dutch.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She punches birds. A Shout-Out to Anouk boxing in the Eurovision 2013 tourism postcard.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Ship Tease: She gives Brother Canada flowers every year for the WWII liberation.
"If you can't love me the way I am, then it's your loss!"
- Geek: Since a lot of famous comics came from Belgium, he's a comic nerd.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: As above.
- Sweet Tooth: Since Belgium also is famous for chocolate, he is this as well.
- Tsundere: Towards Netherlands.
- Crazy-Prepared: A cow is one of the many features of his banking system.
- Genre Savvy: He knows his security system for the bank works best when he doesn't divulge any details, even to his customers.
- Badass Beard: A big bushy one you could lose a rat in.
- In Vino Veritas: Poor Finland.
- Nice Hat: A big fur hat.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Gets a little close to Ukraine for comfort in Cold But Heating Up.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He's present at a lot of the parties, but nobody seems to like him at all.
- Vodka Drunkenski: And he stalks Finland when he's drunk.
"If it's because you're jealous. I'm sure something could be arranged..."
- Apron Matron / The Baroness: She has that vibe when holding a teaching wand.
- Granny Classic: When representing the Russian grannies from the Eurovision 2012 strip.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: America learned that the hard way.
- Nice Hat: Fur hats are awesome.
"Guys?! It's Estonia! I heard you were having one of your Nordic parties, so I thought I could join?!"
- The Chew Toy: Will never get to join the Nordics, and the Baltics don't respect her at all. She also doesn't get a flag designed by God because Denmark and Latvia stole it.
- Heartbreak And Icecream: Upon learning that Scotland would be accepted among the Nordics and not her.
- I Just Want To Be Nordic: BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO PARTY WITH THE CUTE BOOOOOOOYS!
- Nice Hat: Looks just like Finland's.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Oh yes.
- The Team Wannabe: Wants to join the Nordics, but they're not interested.
Latvia & Lithuania
(Lithuania) Look who's trying to be Nordic.
(Latvia) What's the matter? Simply being Baltic isn't good enough for you now?
- Those Two Girls: Only appear alongside Estonia.
"I-I'm sorry. I was trying to be good. What did I do?"
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Hungary worked really hard as a debt of gratitude to the Scandinavian's hospitality after the Hungarian Revolution.
- Porn Stache: Apparently, Humon asked a Hungarian what their stereotype was, and the response was "magnificent mustaches." And so it was.
- Workaholic: To the point that it made the Scandinavians’ work ethic look bad.
"Um, yeeees. I need carrots. Lots!"
- Butt Monkey: Humon mentions that Poland is the go-to country when you want someone to abuse.
- Domino Mask: To go along with his thief schtick
- Fell Off the Back of a Truck: As Humon notes, if something is stolen in Europe, there's a very good chance it'll pass through Poland.
- Justified Criminal: He's a thief, though Humon doesn't blame him since the rest of Europe treats him like slave labor.
- Sticky Fingers: He likes to steal cars.
- Camp Straight: The depiction of him in the 2013 Eurovision comic makes him out as this.
- The Casanova: Vampires are just so irresistible! He seduces women (and sometimes men) and then steals their wallets.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Played with. See Our Vampires Are Different.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Forget blood, he just wants your money. According to Word of God, he's a combination of the "Transylvanian vampire" and "thieving gypsy" stereotypes.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: And hide your wallet.
- Sticky Fingers: He approaches his female victim, suavely seduces her, bares her neck, leans in close... and then runs off with her wallet.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Her flag dress is covered with sparkles and rather snide about it.
UkraineFirst shows up in 2014, during the Crimean crisis.
- Dull Surprise: Is not fooled in the least by Russia's "aid".
- The Ghost: For a while. He was mentioned at least once before his appearance in 2014.
- Porn Stache: In his second appearance, he's grown one to rival Hungary.
- Battle Cry: "Vive la France!"
- Beatnik: Her look.
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Averted. When she and England inevitably had a little squabble in Humon's books, it was she who slapped first. She can also be seen running into battle, screaming "Vive la France!"
- Cool Shades: Wears hipster shades.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Would only speak in French in one of Humon's books.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Seems confirmed as of the Eurovision 2012 comic.
- Nice Hat: A hip beret.
- Ship Tease: With England, of course!
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Sister France (the main sibling of the pair) seems to represent all the classy, hip, and sophisticated aspects of French culture, while Brother France embodies the snobbery, pretentiousness, and rudeness.
- Smoking Is Glamorous: In a long handled cigarette holder, ala Holly Golightly.
- French Jerk: Humon confirms that he has a similar personality to France, but more rude.
- Mad Artist: Apparently it's not unusual for him to slash and/or burn his own paintings while naked, or protesting something and going on strike.
- Nice Hat: Another beret.
- Shy Bladder: Averted. He was urinating in public while talking to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: He apparently likes to play as a misunderstood artist.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is very protective over leadership.
- Butt Monkey: Just look here, here, here and here. The only time he looked cool was when we were shown the Axis after World War II...
- Casanova Wannabe: Tries to hit on Sister Germany. It doesn't end well.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat: In "Your time is up."
- Covert Pervert: Not so much on the "covert" part though. The perversion and power-hungriness are at least in part a reference to Silvio Berlusconi, Italian PM when the strips in question were made.
- Dependingonthe Artist: His skin tone varies from being tanned like Australia to the white tone seen here
- Only Sane Man of the Axis: while Germany is depressed and Japan sometimes goes around with panties on his head, he can act casually cool. He'd probably be The Ace if it wasn't that everything he does backfires against him, no matter how useful it is to the rest of the world.
"Merry Christmas, Scandinavians!"
- Heroic BSOD: After seeing how the Scandinavians celebrate the winter holidays.
- Man in White: White robes.
- Nice Hat: His Mitre, of course.
- The Pope: Of course.
- Witch Hunt: We see him involved into one and he tried to burn the accuser at the stake, because only heathens believe in witches!
"AAARRRGGG!! Random fan in face!!!"
- Carpet of Virility: Likes to leave his shirt open to display it, too.
- Misplaced Nationalism: His introduction was followed by complaints that he looked "wrong" and "stereotypical".
- Carpet of Virility: Along with the Rated M for Manly stereotype.
- Porn Stache: Again, manly.
- Rated M for Manly: Going with the Greek stereotype of machismo.
"Hi ladies. Do you like ma' maaan boat?"
- Rated M for Manly: Behold!
- Wrestler in All of Us: His national sport is oil wrestling. Not for sissies.
- Precious Puppy: He's a flag waving puppy.
North & Central America
"Where the hell are all the mountains?!"
- America Saves the Day: Or so he likes to think.
- Battle Cry: "I'll sue you!"
- Big Eater: America eats fattening food like it's nothing, and is incapable of serving small portions.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: He starts turning into one when he realizes white people are becoming a minority in his country. One comic showed him with light skin, despite the the change. Humon stated in the first comic he became dark-skinned his hair was blond because he bleaches it.
- Eagleland: While America certainly has most of the Flavor 2 traits, he does genuinely want to help others and is seen as the peace keeper when things get too out of hand (if only because he's dumb muscle). Essentially he's a Type 2 who aspires to be Type 1. Generally a mixed flavor.
- Everything Is Big in Texas: Word of God says "He is a tall guy because everything in America has to be BIG."
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: America acts like a macho man and makes a big deal about Sister Sweden's boobs. But when Sister Sweden allows him to touch those boobs....
- Head Pet: Canada, much to Canada's embarrassment.
- Innocently Insensitive: A lot of the time he doesn't even realize he's being bigoted or offensive.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He does want to help and be useful, but he only seems like a Jerk to the other characters.
- Leeroy Jenkins: How Europe sees him, regarding the Iraq war. He even namechecks the trope.
- The Mountains of Illinois: Parodied. He was shocked to discover that Denmark has no mountains. At all.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Zigzagged, with Canada as the supposed sensitive guy. America likes to pretend he's really macho, yet he's actually the more sensitive of the two.
- Strawman Political: America flip-flops between left and right depending on the comic. Though with Sister America getting more characterization, he might be staying to the right. Humon has stated that the America siblings basically have the minds of teenagers, making them incredibly opinionated to the extreme, but completely unwilling to do any research whatsoever on anything they're talking about. Leading to "debates" on whether gays are penguins or flamingos, and whether it's right to step on their eggs.
- Transparent Closet: Humon stated that America has a lot of repressed feelings for Canada, and is most likely doing some stuff "on the down-low".
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: England was a rather inattentive parent to America. Now, any time America wants England's attention, he acts out. One such event was the Boston Tea Party.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Since Great Britain was too busy doing other things to be America's father, guess what happened next.
- This apparently continued into the twentieth century, with England refusing to believe America landed on the moon.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's afraid of aliens.
"What's the matter, America?"
- Bishōnen: Subverted — he seems like the type except for one minor detail
- Canada, Eh?: Of course.
- Carpet of Virility: The biggest one of all!
- Early Installment Weirdness: In at least one early strip, his shirt lacked red sleeves.
- Happily Adopted: Adopted by England, his mother was France. He seemed to be the only one of England's kids who didn't have a lot of trouble growing up.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns
- Nice Guy
- Only Sane Man
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive guy to America's manliness.
- Ship Tease: With Sister Netherlands.
"Don't you guys care about animal welfare at all?"
- Bare Your Midriff: Always wears a tank top.
- Berserk Button: When America is mean to gays (whom she believes to be penguins). Also, shipping Denmark with anyone but Norway (and sometimes Sweden).
- Canada, Eh?: Her lapdog, Ottawa.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: She became one like her brother in this comic
- Eagleland: Started out 100% type two, recently has become a mixed flavor.
- Expy: She is basically Paris Hilton with breast implants and Strawman Political overtones.
- Flanderization: Sister America started out as a Rich Bitch parody of shallow valley girls who are obsessed with plastic surgery, then she became a girl obsessed with sounding liberal without knowing anything about liberalism to balance out her brother's conservatism. Then she met Sister Japan and now she's mainly just a Yaoi Fan Girl. She seems to have backpedaled from this characterization in later comics, though.
- Head Pet: Her chihuahua.
- Odd Friendship: With Sister Japan. Due to their Yaoi Shippings.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Denmark×Norway, and nobody else (so far...). Though "sometimes [she] throw[s] Sweden into the mix.
- Spoiled Sweet: Not really spoiled, but she otherwise fits the trope. Like her brother, she's usually well-meaning and kind, just a bit stupid.
- Strawman Political: Liberal to her brother's Conservative.
- Valley Girl: Spray tan, fake boobs, shallow, overuses the word "like", frequently says "OMG!"? Yup.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Though she thinks the term "yaoi" sounds stupid....
- All There in the Manual: Hasn't appeared in any actual strips yet.
- Canada, Eh?: Natch.
- Carpet of Virility: Yeah...
- Fan Disservice / Squick
- Asian and Nerdy: Likes to build robots.
- Covert Pervert: He seems to be fond of girls' panties.
- Eyes Always Shut: Since he's Asian, of course.
- Inscrutable Oriental: Rather reserved.
- Noble Bigot: He'll tell you in a totally casual way that he doesn't want immigrants around.
- People in Rubber Suits: In the "Tiny Giant Monsters" strip.
- The Stoic: Except when dressed as Godzilla.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: Anyone around her whenever she gets a nosebleed (and it happens OFTEN).
- Covert Pervert: A big fan of yaoi.
- Eyes Always Shut: Except when excited.
- Odd Friendship: With Sister America, over their Yaoi Fangirl shippings.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Netherlands×Belgium.
- Ship Tease: With Germany.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Sister Japan is a quiet, polite, and shy girl who is very proper, but at the same time is also quite the Covert Pervert.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Causes High-Pressure Blood Nosebleed
- Arab Oil Sheikh: She IS Saudi Arabia...
- The Faceless: Kind of. She does wear a burqa.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: She's not really a ninja, but don't tell that to Denmark.
- Deadpan Snarker: Here.
- Eyes Always Shut: Sometimes anyways.
- The Generic Guy: That said, he does have a lot of potential.
- Mao Zedong: Well, a Shout-Out to him anyway.
- Red China: Obviously.
- Cool Mask: Her "facekini", a sort of swimming mask that she wears to prevent tans while she's out at the beach or something.
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: Tries to avoid this, hence the facekini.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: She doesn't appear to be particularly depraved, but her facekini is decorated with bloody carving knives.
- Berserk Button: Gangnam Style. Oh, and South Korea in general.
- The Faceless: Is depicted as hiding under a flag, so we can't see his face.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Or more like entire body.
- Berserk Button: North Korea's attacks.
- Bishōnen: Coinciding with K-Pop down there.
- Dance Sensation: Oppa Gangnam Style!
- Death Glare: To North Korea, of course.
- K-Pop: After all, Gangnam Style can't be his only song.
- Spiky Hair: Very short though.
Iran & Iraq
- Enemy Mine: Momentarily stopped fighting each other to go after Denmark.
- Serious Business: Don't draw Prophet Muhammad.
- Those Two Guys: Only appeared as a one off joke.
- Flower Motif: Roses. From his 2013 Eurovision entry.
- The Ghost: He was absent in the 2011 Eurovision comic, but finally appeared in the 2013 comic.
ThailandA kathoey who reveals himself as Brother Thailand to Denmark when the latter tries hitting on him, thinking he's a she.
- Crush Blush: Gets one after Denmark, upon finding out that Thailand is in fact Brother Thailand, merely switches his drink offer from a cocktail to a beer.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Thailand is a kathoey, a Thai "third gender", which is roughly analogous to a transgender female, but who still identifies as a male on some level.
MalaysiaFirst seen in the comic about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (unfortunately).
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: She has a little red flowery thing in her hair; it's clear she's supposed to be pretty.
"I brought ma' wombat."
- Awesome Aussie
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Tanned from all the surfing.
- Dissonant Serenity: "The Something"
- Land Down Under: Of course.
- Surfer Dude: Or rather, Surfer Mate.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Expy: Of Australian-born Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Like her brother.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She's not allowed to attend the royal ball because Australia doesn't have its own royal family, so Denmark lets her be a Danish princess for one night.
- Land Down Under: Though not as over the top as Australia.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: She's a sheep with wool colored like the New Zealand flag.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Had New South Wales with Wales, much to Norway's horror.
- Interspecies Romance: With Wales.
- Shout-Out: She went on a quest to throw the engagement ring from Wales into a volcano (which Iceland was seen parachuting into).
New South Wales
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Like her mother.
- Ambiguous Gender: Until a chart listing the relationships between certain countries was released (here), it was hard to tell what New South Wales's gender was. Because she was a sheep.
- Half-Human Hybrid: The daughter of Wales, a human, and New Zealand, a sheep; however, she much closer resembles her mother.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Awww...
- Talking Animal: Probably got it from her father.
- Cool Versus Awesome: Fight of the century: Ninja vs Pirate!!!
- Ruthless Modern Pirates: Since Somalia is known for piracy, this is a given.
"What the hell did your friend just call me!!?!"
- Berserk Button: Does not take nicely to being mistaken for a monkey. Which actually happened on the TV show "Good Morning Denmark".
- Blade on a Stick: And a Zulu hide shield!
- Scary Black Man: Only when he's upset. Which Denmark proceeds to do.
"Do you have any idea how annoying and disrespectful it is when white people do that to our kids?"
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: The Nordics can't see him, much like [United States of] America can't see Denmark or tell the difference between Sweden and Norway.note
- Smoking Is Cool: Seen with a cigarette for unspecified reasons.
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Ghost: She's been mentioned by Humon in her journals, and a "secret" comic was found including her.
- Latina Is Brown: Has brown skin. And also not Latino, but Lusitanian, as Brazil is a Portuguese-speaking country, not Spanish-speaking.note
Characters that don't represent countries, continents, or regions
Back to the main page
"I drink people's beer."
- The Alcoholic: Only for beer though.
- Catchphrase: "Uuuuuuuuuuuh!"
- Early-Bird Cameo: Here.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Tiny, cute, but still terrifying. It drinks your beer, after all!
Finland's pet lion. Based on this joke about Finland's coat of arms and made into a comic here.
- Big Friendly Lion: He's very friendly, and is happy to share his nomnoms.
- Cool Crown: Wears a cute little crown on his head.
- Extreme Omnivore: Eats flowers, hockey pucks, and bitcoins.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears armor on only one leg, for some reason.
- Nice Guy: He's very sweet, just a bit slow, due to the sword in his head.
"Nicotine patches doesn't work on me!!"
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Averted. He represents Eyjafjallajökull, but he is refered to as Volcano because Eyjafjallajökull is difficult to spell and pronounce.
- Smoking Is Cool: Indeed.
Jacob Jensen... in Spain's face! One-shot character to illustrate a specific event note during the Eurovision Song Contest 2010.
- The Cameo: Appears in a one off strip with Jacob Jensen.
- The Cameo: Like the above.
- Godwin's Law: Makes the Nazi salute in front of Modern Germany, causing him to literally go into Heroic BSOD-mode. And Nazi Germany wants to gas it.
Ukraine's Nuclear Mutants
- Nuclear Nasty: Large, bulbous, and ugly.
- Adorkable: They're represented by cute snowballs with stars of David
- The Cameo: They return in the Kickstarter video for making the comics animated, where the represent the viewers.
- Fast Ball Special: As they're snowballs, Denmark sends them to Sweden by throwing them.