Scandinavians, especially Swedes, have long been stereotyped as being a strikingly beautiful group of people, particularly the women. In many works, Scandinavian female characters are portrayed as naive, beautiful, and all-around hot. Usually the hero can't help becoming smitten when he meets one. Usually doesn't turn into a relationship since she's 'too' hot to be more than a Ms. Fanservice type, though, but sometimes she does. She typically has the standard Scandinavian traits: tall, blue eyes, blonde hair, thick accent, and the demeanor of an Innocent Fanservice Girl, but sometimes she can be a Femme Fatale. Tends to overlap with Statuesque Stunner, since Scandinavians are much taller on average than most other ethnicities, and Europeans Are Kinky. Males can fall under this trope as well, though they are rarer. A Sub-Trope of Norse by Norsewest, Everyone Loves Blondes, and Foreign Fanservice. A Sister Trope to Sensual Slavs. Contrast Brawn Hilda (who is also often a Nordic woman, but she's large, intimidating, and unattractive).
open/close all folders
- The Swedish Bikini Team is five gorgeous blondes in blue bikinis that participate in various sports, to the distraction of their male competitors. They were shilling Old Milwaukee beer, by the way.
- Arctic Apple scented Secret Deodorant used a stereotypical-looking Nordic woman for their magazine ad.◊
- High School D×D: Rias Gremory is said to be Scandinavian, though she’s actually a Devil from the Underworld. Of course, she's one of the most attractive girls in the series. Red-haired example. Later on, the story introduces the Valkyrie Rosswiese, who fits this trope better.
- Stella Bremer from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is a very traditional example, having the largest bust of all female cast.
- Julie Sigtuna from Absolute Duo is a very unusual example: she belongs to a fictional country named after a legendary location in Scandinavian mythology and she has the habit of speaking Scandinavian words such as "ja" and "nej" (yes and no, respectively). She's attractive enough, but more in the Moe sense.
- Christine Waldegård from "The Third Girls Aerial Squad."
- Anthea Kallenberg from Under the Dog
- Male example: All the Nordic countries from Axis Powers Hetalia.
- Axel Von Fersen from Rose of Versailles as well.
- Kamigami No Asobi has two Norse gods, Loki and Baldr, in its Crossover Cosmology harem. Baldr is a perfect combination of this and Long-Haired Pretty Boy.
- Ice, originally of the Global Guardians, has the Icelandic-sounding civilian name "Tora Olafsdotter" but is actually Norwegian. Always The Cutie, she was also Guy Gardner's girlfriend.
- Par for the course with The Mighty Thor characters, as most characters are gods and thus part of The Beautiful Elite. However, of note are the following:
- Thor himself, memetically as of the film series.
- Amora the Enchantress, an Asgardian sorceress well known for her beauty and sex appeal◊.
- Brunnhilde, aka "Valkyrie", who is known to be as sexy as she is skilled in combat.
- Kelda Stormrider, known as one of the most beautiful goddesses in Asgard. Here's a scene◊ that emphasizes the point.◊
- Lady Death:
- Lady Death herself is Swedish according to her original backstory, and she is bonafide Ms. Fanservice. While her usual appearance doesn't indicate this, she is a blue-eyed blonde in her human form◊.
- Her half-sister Vandala◊ qualifies, being a stunningly beautiful Viking girl-turned-Valkyrie.
- Justine, a minor character from Lost Souls, was also Swedish in origin and garbed in a Chainmail Bikini.
- Discussed in Superman/Batman #8 when Supergirl first landed on Earth and meeting some dock workers who believe her to be Swedish because of her blonde hair, blue eyes and her strange language, though she is actually speaking Kryptonian.
- The oldest examples of this trope are actresses Greta Garbo, famous for her Femme Fatale roles, Ingrid Bergman and sex symbol Anita Ekberg.
- In Queen Christina Garbo plays on her sexy foreigner fame even more by portraying an actual Swedish queen and looking absolutely stunning in the role. The fact that the story is set in Sweden and in a distant past makes it all the more romanticizing and sensual for the audience.
- Summer with Monika: There's reason to believe this movie may be the Trope Maker or the Trope Codifier. The movie shows nudity, glorifies a woman (Monika, played by Harriet Andersson) who is entirely comfortable with her body and refuses to submit to bourgeois norms and codes.
- Ulla, the Swedish woman Max hires as a secretary in The Producers. She speaks no English and does little more than dance around and look pretty.
- In Wayne's World, Wayne gets hit on by a sexy Swedish secretary for knowing so much about her home country.
- Jamie Lee Curtis quite hilariously disguises herself as Inga from Sweden (in an Austrian dress) in Trading Places.
- Victoria Silvstedt's character (Silvstedt herself counts) and the rest of the Swedish Sun Tanning Team from Boat Trip, and again in another movie, this time with Zach Galifianakis in a hot tub in the movie Out Cold.
- Young Frankenstein: Dr. Frankenstein has a pretty blond sex kitten of an assistant named Inga.
- In Two Days in the Valley, multiple comments are made about both the attractiveness and Scandinavian heritage of Helga. (Played by Charlize Theron in one of her earliest roles.)
- In The Prince & Me, there's an American girl who falls in love with a handsome prince from Denmark. Even though all the actors are clearly American it still thrives on the erotic foreigner trope and the idea that Scandinavians are sexy.
- German-born actress Elke Sommer often played this trope in her films.
- In Kingsman: The Secret Service, the protagonist rescues a kidnapped Swedish princess in the end, Bond-style.
- Marvel's Thor, the Norse god/ superhero with long blond hair and many shirtless scenes.
- Lena in Underworld: Blood Wars was a drop-dead gorgeous Nordic vampire with Mystical White Hair.
- In Cashback Ben reminisces about when he was a little kid and his family took in a spectacularly gorgeous Swedish woman with no nudity taboo as a boarder.
- In Beerfest, the Swedish team is made up entirely of gorgeous blonde women wearing bikinis. This was an intentional Shout-Out to the Swedish Bikini Team advertising campaign for Old Milwaukee Beer.
- A scene in Baseketball shows Doug making out with Playboy Playmate of the Year Victoria Silvstedt (playing herself). Silvstedt hails from Sweden, and she also happens to be tall, blonde, busty, and beautiful.
- Kung Fury has The Hero meeting in his quest a duo of hot Breast Plate-wearing female Vikings wielding machine guns and riding dinosaurs. Its that kind of movie.
- In Pretty Little Liars, Aria Montgomery's loyal boyfriend Noel is temporarily besotted with the exotic Finnish foreign exchange student, Klaudia Huusko (dubbed a "Nordic goddess"), who pretends to not know how sexy she is but is really just trying to get into Noel's pants.
- In The Dresden Files local mafia boss Gentleman Johnny Marcone hires Sigrun Gard as his supernatural consultant. She's a statuesque Scandinavian blonde, described by Dresden as 'a Nordic Angel' and not afraid to use her looks. She's also a bonafide valkyrie and Action Girl.
- Atali, the eponymous The Frost-Giant's Daughter in Conan the Barbarian was a beautiful, Stripperiffic woman from Aesir legends whom Conan meets while in his stay in the distant northern lands. She was so maddeningly pretty that she drove him insane with lust.
Live Action TV
- Both Lagertha and Aslaug are portrayed this way in Vikings, Aslaug especially so, as she is supposedly the literal daughter of the legendary Sigurd and Brynhildr, and a princess (though against stereotype she has long wavy auburn hair). Lagertha is a drop-dead gorgeous blonde who is a shield-maiden and fights alongside the men, eventually becoming a leader of her own tribe. The hero is married to one, once married to the other, and smitten with both.
- Also Thorunn, Bjorn's wife, who appears in later seasons, has a straight up nordic supermodel looks.
- Fraulein Helga, Col. Klink's receptionist on Hogan's Heroes, was one. Blonde and buxom, she had most of the men in the camp (Germans and prisoners alike) drooling over her (and apparently was having an affair with Col. Hogan), and played at being the dumb sultry type, but was really quite intelligent and often helped the prisoners. Fraulein Hilda replaced her in season two, and was more of the same.
- One episode of The Golden Girls had Rose's cousin Sven come to visit and fall for Blanche. He wanted to call off his upcoming arranged marriage, but when the girl who was to be his bride showed up, she was a hot blonde like this. Sven is awed and runs off with her right away.
- Elke the Swedish exchange student in Oliver Beene, a beautiful blonde teen girl and everybody's crush.
- For a while, TV ads for Old Milwaukee beer featured appearances by the "Swedish Bikini Team".
- Odin's messengers, the Valkyries, are known for their beauty as well as selecting the bravest of the slain warriors to be admitted into Warrior Heaven. Of course, in more authentic myths, Valkyries were anything but beautiful, what with their riding wolves and specifically engineering circumstances that would lead to the deaths of great warriors in order to people Odin's corpse hall. Nonetheless, some Valkyries were still sufficiently hot enough that Scandinavian saga heroes — such as Helgi Hundingsbane — took them as wives.
- Miranda Lawson from Mass Effect was originally a blonde with the Norwegian surname "Solheim". Her surname was changed after an Australian actress was hired to voice her, and the developers thought black hair would suit her Femme Fatale personality better.
- Skyrim, being populated by a Fantasy Counterpart Culture of the Scandinavians, has no shortage of NPCs of this appearance. Many of the female NPCs have Scandinavian or Celtic-sounding accents, and Nord women themselves were graphically designed to be among the more attractive races in the game, in contrast to the more beastly races, or the elven races who have alien-like elongated skulls and faces.
- Marie Rose from Dead or Alive 5
- Guild Wars has Jora, who belongs to a race inspired by Scandinavian peoples known as Norns, with herself fitting the trope, being tall, beautiful and blonde.
- Vallah in War Gods is a gorgeous Viking princess clad in a purple Chainmail Bikini that is even more skimpy than the female villain.
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Laughing Octopus is quite pretty if you can get past her mad laughter.
- Ingrid, of Sandra on the Rocks... isn’t especially tall. Which is the only thing that might save her from being raising this trope to the level of parody
- Sister Sweden of Scandinavia and the World is based on Danish stereotypes of Swedish women, and thus is this trope taken Up to 11: She's a busty, beautiful, blond and blue-eyed Ms. Fanservice, an Ethical Slut who'll do Anything That Moves.
- To hammer the point home, a bonus drawing by Humon reveals that her natural breasts are actually larger than Sister America's implants.
- Sister Iceland (technically not Scandinavian, but definitely Nordic) is also conventionally pretty... as is her brother.
- In Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki, a boy who is fascinated with magical girl anime gets turned into a buxom blond valkyrie.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: Finnish Wrench Wench Tuuri squees at the thought of meeting a Swede, since all Swedes are pretty and tall. The Swedish team member, Emil, is very pretty (complete with Bishie Sparkle and gorgeous hair), but Tuuri is very disappointed that he isn't much taller than her.
- In The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Carl meets his penpal Elke Elkberg, a cute Swedish girl, for the first time and lies about being a genius to impress her (and though she, too, lied about being a supermodel to impress him, you'd never have guessed).
- Bugs Bunny lampoons this trope in "What's Opera, Doc?" (and earlier, somewhat creepily, in "Herr Meets Hare").
- Similar to the DC comics, the sweet but naive Ice of Batman: The Brave and the Bold was the cute one, dressed sexily and had a few guys into her.
- The eponymous Catdog had a Ship Tease with the lovely blonde Ingrid sisters.
- Skwisgaar Skwigelf from Metalocalypse is a male example. He is Swedish, and out of all the members of Dethklok he is the one who is portrayed as being the most handsome as well as the most successful when it comes to seducing women.