Ingrid Bergman (August 29th 1915 — August 29th 1982) was a Swedish actress. She won three Academy Awards, two Emmy Awards, and the Tony Award for Best Actress in the first Tony Award ceremony in 1947. She is ranked as the fourth greatest female star of American cinema of all time by the American Film Institute. She is widely remembered for her performance as Ilsa Lund in Casablanca (1942) and is known as one of Hollywood's greatest classical beauties.In her lifetime she had the reputation for being the World's Most Beautiful Woman and created a legendary scandal when in the 1940s, she abandoned her husband and child and started an affair with director Roberto Rossellini and became pregnant on the set of Stromboli. This scandal was denounced on the floor of the US Senate with Ingrid becoming more or less Persona Non Grata in America. She had written to Rossellini after seeing his film, Paisan and wanted to make serious films and their resulting love affair and brief marriage resulted in three children and five movies. After their breakup, she returned to the stage and became more sporadic, with Autumn Sonata being her last serious role.Mother of Isabella Rossellini. Not to be confused with and wasn't related to Ingmar Bergman (though he did direct her once, in Autumn Sonata).
- Intermezzo (1936) - Swedish film remade in the U.S. in 1939; Bergman starred in both versions.
- Rage in Heaven (1941)
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
- Casablanca (1942)
- For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)
- Gaslight (1944)
- The Bells of St. Mary's (1945)
- Spellbound (1945)
- Notorious (1946)
- Under Capricorn (1949)
- Stromboli (1950)
- Europe '51 (1952)
- Voyage to Italy (1954)
- Elena and Her Men (1956)
- Anastasia (1956)
- Cactus Flower (1969)
- Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
- Autumn Sonata (1978) - Her last film, and only film with Ingmar Bergman.
- Small Reference Pools : She's highly regarded as one of the greatest stars of the 40s and for her work with Alfred Hitchcock but few have seen her films with Rossellini or Elena and Her Men. Her film with Ingmar Bergman, Autumn Sonata, is well known, however.
- Your Cheating Heart: She attracted bad press for this, which was a direct challenge to American family values at the time.