The key word here is "DYING
is a devilishly hard
platformer by the doujin circle of XTAL SWORD.
The story of this game puts the player in the role of the titular heroine, Eryi, a fairy who wants to eat a savory melon she has been eagerly waiting for. Unfortunately, her desired melon has been stolen by a troll
(in several senses of the word
) named Farta, and Eryi sets out from her house to hunt down her precious melon
In this game, your skills and wits will be tested as you go through many traps and hazards you won't see coming. And you will probably die. A lot
. Thankfully death is just a slap on the wrist
and you have limitless lives so you can try to avoid being killed by the elaborate traps again... and again
... and again
An English version of the game was released on DESURA
on September 9th, 2012, by Nyu Media. A Steam
release may be imminent if the game is voted to be greenlit here
. The English Web site for the game and the game's trial version can also be found here
, this game can be addicting
, especially if you're a masochist.
Eryi's Action provides trope examples of:
- Action Bomb: One of the game's mooks is one.
- All Trolls Are Different: Farta. She looks more like how you would think a fairy would be.
- Anti-Frustration Features: You have infinite lives.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: There is a certain trap that looks like a spring mushroom, but if you jump onto it, it will catapult Eryi into the horizon, after which she ends like this.
- Bottomless Pits
- Bullet Hell: Ex-Mode Farta and the UFO
- Check Point
- Classic Video Game Screw Yous: Many. The game is absurdly creative about it too!
- Clothing Damage: Some traps will tear Eryi's clothes off, but thankfully she manages to cover herself.
- Curtains Match the Window: Eryi.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist
- Drop The Washtub: Just one of the many, many ways this game can kill you.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Croco.
- Gameplay and Story Integration: We are told by the game's webpage that Eryi is a masochist and Farta is a sadist who is in love with Eryi. It definitely makes sense, considering how this game is choke-full of traps and Eryi manages to cope with them without quitting it.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: If you manage to get to the end of Extra Mode and defeat Farta, rather than getting Eryi's melon at last, you have to face a UFO. It appears out of nowhere with no pomp or ceremony and has no reason to show up other than giving the game one last chance to shout "Screw You!" at the player.
- Harder Than Hard: The Extra Mode. It's much worse than the "normal" difficulty.
- Kaizo Trap: But of course! What did you expect? That the level would end after you got to the goal? HA!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Somebody had fun writing the game's manual.
- The Lost Woods: Stage 2.
- Meaningless Lives
- Puzzle Boss: Most of them. Special note goes to Artie, in which you are sent into an RPG-esque battle where you have to figure out a specific combo in order to take him out within 5 turns, while avoiding his attacks.
- The Many Deaths of You: Oh, so many.
- Nintendo Hard: Expect to die and learn from your mistakes. A lot.
- One Hit Point Wonder: Eryi.
- Platform Hell
- Point And Click Map: And the game will try to kill you there, too!
- They Kill Eryi Again!
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: Plenty of it in this game.
- Troll: The game's webpage notes that Farta stole Eryi's melon, not because she was hungry, but for the sake of annoying her, and seeing Eryi fall into her traps time and time again amuses her.
- Tsundere: Farta loves Eryi. It's just that her way of expressing her love is being a total bitch.
- Under the Sea: One of the levels takes under the sea.
- Unexpected Shmup Level: The final battle with Farta is exactly this. Eryi gets a Mecha Expansion Pack specially for the occassion, too!
- X Meets Y: It's Super Mario Bros meets I Wanna Be The Guy but with emphasis on puzzle-solving rather than action.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Eryi has green hair. One of the enemy fairies have sky blue hair.