With the laser sight, the Predator can tell his Shoulder Cannon exactly
where to fire.
A Helmet Mounted Sight
is a new Defictionalization
. It is essentially a Heads Up Display
that tells your fighter
/chopper where you want the bullets
to go. It has also been upgraded to show what friendly fighters are equipped with to provide Stat-O-Vision
open/close all folders
- The prototype VF-0 Valkyrie in Macross Zero does it one better: the helmet tracks the pilot's eyeballs in order to acquire targets for the mecha's head-mounted cannons. Presumably, this became a standard feature, but this is one of only two times we actually see how it works.
- The other time it appears on screen is a blink and you'll miss it moment with Ozma in Macross Frontier.
- Predator. The title creature's shoulder cannon moves in synch with its helmet.
- In Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, the Predator installs a second plasmacaster on the other shoulder, although both are controlled by the same sight.
- Blue Thunder. The direction of the title helicopter's autocannon is controlled by its pilot's helmet.
- Nicholas Cage's character in Fire Birds, a rookie Apache pilot, has trouble learning to use one of these, leading to some... innovative teaching methods on the part of his instructor.
- In Half Past Dead, Steven Seagal's character explains to his friend (played by Ja Rule) how to operate a crashed helicopter's gun using the helmet. When the firefight breaks out, it comes in handy.
Live Action TV
- Airwolf has one in Stringfellow Hawke's helmet.
- There was a third-party product for the NES which was a headset-mounted zapper gun.
Virtual Reality Games
- A VR game like this was at Segaworld in London's Trocadero c. 1999.
- US helicopter gunships since the early 1980s have used the IHADSS system, which can not only aim a laser designator for the AGM114 laser-guided antitank missile, but also aim an autocannon in the powered turret under the helicopter's "chin"
- First found on the MiG-29 "Fulcrum" in the 1980's and copied by the West after discovering how effective they were from ex-GDR examples of that plane, particularly in combination with the R-73/AA-11 heat-seeking missile.
- The F22 and F35 are/will be equipped with these. Several attack helicopters are equipped with them as well.
- Specifically these aircraft, along with several older U.S. fighters like the F-15, F-16, and F/A-18 will be made compatible with the new Joint Helmet-Mounted Cueing System, which when combined with the new AIM-9X model of the Sidewinder allows for some absolutely gratuitous stunts involving Roboteching.