open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Lockon Stratos uses a device that looks like a blocky sort of gun (Our Weapons Will Be Boxy in the Future) to aim and fire the GN Sniper Rifle.
- Space Battleship Yamato: While the original Wave Motion Gun wasn't really like this, the Wave Motion Gun type weapons used by Leader Desler certainly were.
- Scryed: One of the villains had an Alter in the shape of a huge, floating gun, which he aimed and fired using a more normal-sized Hand Cannon.
- To fire the big gun the titular Girl Who Leapt Through Space has to aim a smaller gun.
- Heroic Age: When using the Argonaut's ultimate weapon, in which the ship itself transforms into an enormous energy cannon, the ship's resident AI turns into a handgun which the captain must use to aim and fire.
- Not quite the same thing, but in Space Pirate Mito, an entire spaceship can be used as a lightsaber by handling a model-sized version of said spaceship.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!'s Chachamaru's Artifact is a cute little Hello-Kitty-looking handheld thingie that designates a target for a gigantic, also cat-themed Kill Sat.
- In Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, the Wave Motion Gun mounted on the titular character's space fighter is fired from a virtual light gun game "gun". This is appropriate considering said character is a Gamer Girl to the core and initiates her craft's ignition by inserting a 100 Yen coin.
- In The Punisher arc "Countdown", rogue SHIELD agent Stone Cold uses one to aim and launch a series of missiles at his target.
- In Clear and Present Danger, commandoes on the ground frame a Colombian drug lord for a terrorist attack by targeting his pickup so the bomb falls into it before exploding. Taken from the book of the same name, where John Clark personally lases the pickup truck.
- In Vantage Point, the terrorists use a rifle on a remote-controlled mount to assassinate the president's body double.
Live Action TV
- The more advanced mecha Finishing Moves in Engine Sentai Go-onger are aimed with Handle Blasters (steering wheels transformed into guns!)
- In Power Rangers Time Force, the Quantum Ranger made the dinosaur form of his Humongous Mecha fire its lasers by standing on its back and firing his handgun.
- Similarly, Kamen Rider Den-O's Gun Form performs the Finishing Move for its Cool Train by pointing his own gun at the enemy and pulling the trigger. While riding atop its "head".
- About five seasons into Stargate SG-1, the SGC employed a missile they could fire through the stargate on a parabolic path, then have seek a target marked by a laser from either a UAV or troops already on the other side.
- The Ion Painter and Target Painter in Unreal Tournament 2004 act as spotting devices for an orbital satellite and an airborne bombing run, respectively.
- The Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War falls into this category. It's a Kill Sat that's controlled by a more pistol-like object.
- The Satellite Laser from Shadow the Hedgehog is similar.
- In Gunbound, the A-Sate shoots small tracer- lasers that mark the spot where it's minuature Kill Sats are going to fire. Other vehicles can do similar things with lighting and Thor, the resident Kill Sat, which all the other vehicles can ocassionally use but only one is specialized in it.
- By the same token, the Harbinger/Supernova designator of Ratchet: Deadlocked.
- In StarCraft, Ghosts send laser-guided nuclear strikes.
- Armed Assault II checked its facts first.
- While it's not entirely gun-like, Team Fortress 2 has the Engineer's Wrangler. It is basically an Atari joystick duct-taped to a gun, and lets you aim your Sentry at wherever you are looking.
- The Apollo Lens in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, which must be aimed using a giant statue that amplifies your Psyenergy. A miniaturized version of the controls is located inside said statue.
- Halo: Reach features a fairly realistic laser designator for artillery strikes in some missions.
- Euclid's C-Finder in Fallout: New Vegas looks like a cartoony ray-gun, but it's linked to a solar-powered Kill Sat called ARCHIMEDES II. It's in the possession of a young child when the game starts Thankfully, ARCHIMEDES II is unpowered when the game starts, considering the young child thinks Euclid's C-Finder is what it looks like (a toy) and so has pulled the trigger while playing with his friends. The player can also come into possession of it before knowing what it is, and it will seem entirely useless until the satellite is brought online.
- Resident Evil 5 gives the player a pointlessly huge laser designator to use against it's largest boss. It's about the size of a rocket launcher. Chris then re-uses it in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as one of his Hyper Combos.
- Combine gunships and striders in Half-Life 2 are decidedly not Point Defenseless and can use their chin-mounted machine gun to shoot down rockets fired directly at them. The solution La Résistance came up with is a laser-guided missile launcher with which they can steer the missile past the target, then turn it to hit from behind or above.
- In Saints Row: The Third, you eventually obtain a "gun" that paints a laser designator to rain down missiles from the sky. That being said, the "gun" looks more like a modified police speed radar than anything else...
- Mass Effect 3 features a boss battle where Shepard, on foot, uses a designator to call down the firepower of an entire battle fleet on a Reaper Destroyer.
- In The Last Remnant, David's Remnant, Gae Bolg functions like this with David using the similar, scaled down version, Ex Machina as a targeting device. Ex Machina itself doubles as a Hand Cannon.
- A related concept is the spotting rifle, a special rifle or machine gun that is usually directly attached to a cannon or rocket launcher and calibrated so that if you hit your target with the little gun, you'll hit it with the big one. Sometimes pulls double duty as a coaxial anti-infantry weapon.
- Before the advent of laser-guided weapons, the usual method of marking targets for friendly aircraft and sometimes artillery was with coloured smoke, preferably with shells from a mortar but often thrown by hand.
- The British Army Air Corps issues its Apache helicopter crews carbines with magazines of 100% red tracer for this purpose; if they're brought down, their wingmates will concentrate their fire on whatever that stream of tracers is aimed at. The same tactic is occasionally used by regular infantry with a machine gun, but only if they've lost radio contact.