open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A frequent theme in Some Like It Hot, in which Marilyn Monroe's character has a Fetish for saxophone players, but believes they're all jerks. The main character in the film is a saxophone player, and a jerk. Right at the end, Daphne attempts to deflect the attentions of Osgood by telling him "I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player."
- Rob Lowe in St. Elmo's Fire.
- Shirtless black dude playing the saxophone in The Lost Boys.
- Lis the tall, handsome sax player in Ida. Wanda, who is obviously attracted to him, pronouces the saxophone to be a "sensuous", "male" instrument. Later, her niece Ida has sex with Lis.
- On Parks and Recreation, straitlaced boss-man Ron Swanson leads a double life at night, moonlighting as smooth jazz saxophonist Duke Silver. Predictably, the Duke is a hit with the ladies.
- Diff'rent Strokes: Arnold pretends to play sax in order to get in some girl's pants. Problem is, he can't really play. He ends up getting Clarence Clemons to play Behind the Black while he lip-blew.
- On The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Will did something similar with another famous (at the time) sax player.
- Played with in one episode of Seinfeld, where Elaine's saxophone-playing boyfriend isn't as hot and heavy as she'd like him to be. He eventully does do what she wants him to do, which makes his mouth too tired to play the saxophone and he blows an audition.
- Parodied on a Saturday Night Live Digital, Short which was inspired by Sexy Sax Man Sergio Flores (See Web Original Below). Andy Samberg is, on account of a Gypsy curse, haunted by an incredibly-sexy saxophonist (played by a half-naked Jon Hamm) named Sergio who keeps barging in on his happiest life events and inevitably attracting the attention of whatever women happen to be nearby.
- In one of their musical finales, The Two Ronnies performed as saxophone-playing lounge lizards boasting of their conquests.
- The Daily Show invokes this trope in their June 8, 2011 episode. After finding out that Anthony Weiner texted a woman discussing having sex while watching the show, Jon Stewart just decides to go with it and a shirtless man starts playing saxophone.
- On American Horror Story: Coven, the Axeman is a darker take on this trope. A historical character, the Axman is a relatively handsome saxophonist who happens to be a serial killer.
- Yep, even musicians think about this, at least. Steely Dan gives us 'Deacon Blues', with the refrain starting 'I'll learn to work the saxophone/ I'll play just what I feel ... ', and a later verse suggesting 'I crawl like a viper through the suburban streets/ Make love to these women, languid and bittersweet ... '
- Billy Joel's "Christie Lee" is a subversion: she's really into the saxophone, but apparently indifferent to the Sax Man himself.
She didn't need him as a man, all she wanted was the horn.
- Fleur East's "Sax" is about a woman interested in men who play saxophones.
But if you wanna hear me sing you better play that sax.
- Hatoful Boyfriend's Yuuya Sakazaki can apparently play tenor sax, according to a drawing released by his creator. He has a reputation as an "infamous studmuffin".
- Uta No Prince Sama's Ren Jinguuji is a flirtatious young man that can make large groups of her fans squee when they listen him play the sax.
- Lackadaisy's jazz musician Zib invokes this, being both a clarinetist and a saxophonist.
Q: "So I see that Zib plays the clarinet - why is he never depicted with one? (...)"A: "Vanity. He prefers being pictured with the sexyphone. (...)"
- Gender flipped with Jetta from Jem. Her main instrument is the saxophone in the pop band The Misfits, though she rarely actually plays the sax in songs for whatever reason. Pizzazz sings a Les Yay filled song called "I Like Your Style" when they first meet about how fashionable Jetta is and about her saxophone skills.
- Sergey Stepanov, already a good looking guy with sunglasses, performed with sax quite suggestively during a performance for the song "Run Away". And thus he became known as the Epic Sax Guy
- His group, Sunstroke Project, performed "Run Away" as the Moldovan entry of the Eurovision Song Contest back in 2010. It placed 22nd of 25 in the Grand Final of that contest, but it wouldn't be the last we'd hear from the Epic Sax Guy. The same group performed in the 2017 edition with Hey Mamma, and just like the song from seven years prior, Stepanov gets his own dedicated sax solo. In the end, they placed third of 26 in the contest, the highest Moldova achieved to date.
- Bill Clinton played the saxophone and had success with the ladies too.
- Kind of averted by Van Morrison, who while he plays sax to a high level of proficiency, cannot objectively be described as...
- Sexy sax woman Candy Dulfer is an inversion of this trope. Her first album was even named Saxuality.