The Academy Is... is a band from Chicago under the Decaydance label, owned by Pete Wentz
. They were originally called "The Academy" but the Is... was added later in 2004 to avoid legal problems. The band came together in 2003 and went on to release three albums, "Almost Here," "Santi," and "Fast Times at Barrington High." Members included William Beckett (lead vocals), Mike Carden (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Adam T. Siska (bass, backing vocals), Andy 'The Butcher' Mrotek (drums) and Michael Guy Chislett (lead guitar, backing vocals, piano). On May 24th, 2011, an official announcement was made about the departure of band members Andy Mrotek and Michael Chislett. Although the band had made plans for a 4th studio album and an announcement was made by Beckett that they had begun recording, they eventually disbanded. On October 8th, 2011, mere months after they had lost two members, the band announced that they had decided to go their seperate ways.
- Album Title Drop: "Almost Here" from the album of the same name.
- Also, 'New York (Saint in the City)' on 'Lost In Pacific Time'
Lost in pacific time with the sound of a dial tone
Let the memories count the miles and never be forgotten
- Badass Beard: The Butcher is often seen sporting one of these.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: The Butcher can be this sometimes...okay, maybe a lot more than sometimes.
"Michael, I got your chicken caboodles! I got your chicken caboodles...Michael?"
"It's freakin' scooter time!"
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: William Beckett, mostly when he still had long hair.
- Evil Twin: The video for "We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands." William's twin runs around causing chaos and even takes his place on stage for a concert. Although in the end, it turns out it was all in William's head.
- Freaky Friday Flip: An episode of TAI TV involves Bill and Sisky swapping bodies right before a show. Hilarity Ensues.
- Ho Yay / Faux Yay: William Beckett◊ and◊ Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship. They both ship it. Fueled By Ramen ships it. Gabe even wrote his own fanfiction. Enough said.
- Lost in Translation: One TAI TV episode finds Chislett frustrated because nobody can understand him through his Australian accent. The misinterpretations range from "chicken caboodles" to "William, your hips don't lie!"
- Love Hurts: "Everything We Had"
Take the pain out of love
And then love won't exist
- Love Nostalgia Song: "Everything We Had" and "After the Last Midtown Show."
- Mr. Fanservice: William Beckett, so much. Those hipbones. Also The Butcher, who pretty much never wears a shirt.
- One Last Field Trip: "One More Weekend"
- Precision F-Strike: "Black Mamba"
"I'm sick and tired of waiting, sick of this fucking apartment!"
- Real Person Fic: Tons of it, mostly about William and Gabe Saporta.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: "About A Girl"
I'm not in love
This is not your song
I'm not gonna waste these words
About a girl
- Those Two Guys: Sisky and The Butcher, somewhat.