Characters: Omamori Himari
This page is for the characters of Omamori Himari
and its spin-offs. Due to the ongoing nature of this manga, there will be spoilers for those who haven't gotten far into the story. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
open/close all folders
Tropes associated with them:
- Action Girls: Every girl except Rinko. The fact that they're actually using the "action" part and at the same time all have a crush on Yuuto probably also makes them...
- Action Girlfriends: See above trope.
- Balanced Harem: You got three different childhood friends, a loli, and a teacup.
- Badass: Every girl in Yuuto's harem except for Rinko is this. Yuuto himself joins in as he masters his Light Ferry.
- Boobs of Steel: Almost every girl in Yuuto's harem except for Shizuku and Rinko. Shizuku is an inversion of this trope since she can fight, unlike Rinko.
- Five-Man Band
- Magnetic Girlfriends: All the Cute Monster Girls (and one Dark Magical Girl) seem to have come out of the woods right after Himari entered Yuuto's life, although that has more to do with the awakening of his demon-hunting powers when he turned 16.
- Parental Abandonment: All over the place, in varying degrees.
- Yuuto's parents and all of his relatives have died, including his grandparents that gave him his charm.
- Shizuku's entire clan got killed.
- Himari's mother died in childbirth and she never knew her father but believes it may have been a different kind of cat spirit or a wildcat (she was raised by Yuuto's grandparents, who are also dead).
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: You have an Ordinary High-School Student who is revealed to a descendant of a demon-slaying family, a Cat Girl Samurai Youkai who is head over heels over her master, a Childhood Friend with serious A-Cup Angst, a 100+ year-old lolita water dragon spirit, a British, tea-serving maid with Gag Boobs who really is a tea cup, and a White-haired Dark Magical Girl with an Ojou personality and a Blood Knight.
- The Three Faces of Eve: In Yuuto's house, we have Shizuku as the wife due to her skills at household chores and cooking, Himari as the seductress due to her constant attempts at seducing Yuuto, and Rinko as the child due to her Tsundere bordering on Comedic Sociopath nature.
- Violently Protective Girlfriends: Himari is VERY protective of Yuuto. The other girls wouldn't hold back either.
of the series. He is an Ordinary High-School Student
who lost his parents
in a car crash seven years ago, with the only memento of his family being the red protective charm that was given to him by his grandparents. On his sixteenth birthday, he meets a beautiful girl named Himari who turns out to be a cat spirit
, and discovers that his family is one of the twelve demon slayer families who eradicated ayakashi in the past.
- Above the Influence: At first, to Himari's regrets, but as the series goes on, his willpower seems to be decreasing in this regard... it's getting to the point that the main thing keeping any given girl from seducing him is the other girls, who are very, very good at interrupting.
Kagetsuki: "He is one dedicated Goody-Two-Shoes. That is not to say I don't appreciate your egging him on."
Shizuku: "Shut up...you know. He's just too passive."
- Accidental Kiss: Gets one with Himari in chapter 16
- Actual Pacifist: He is very close to this, at least partially. He really doesn't want to hurt anyone, and only does so if it is a matter of life and death... But still, he does let Himari fight for him, making her (and, at least in a way, himself as well, being her master) a Technical Pacifist.
- All-Loving Hero: Yuuto just wants everyone to get along. As long as there's a chance that his enemies can be reasoned with, he'll hold off from fighting. Even when he wins the following battle, he tends to spare his opponents. He also gets drawn into people's problems pretty easily and devotes his efforts to helping them.
- Arranged Marriage: His grandfather had arranged for him to be married to Kuesu, which wasn't discovered until his reunion with the latter.
- Big Good: Tries to be this for both humans and ayakashi.
- Birthday Hater: Doesn't like his birthday because that's also the day both of his parents died.
- Chaste Hero: He is this because the other Clingy Jealous Girls in his harem are really good at interrupting another girl's intimate moment. Even Yuuto starts to realize this to his disappointment.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Made one to Kuesu that he'd "protect her back", since her offensive spells mostly go forward.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Deflector Shields: Forms his Light Ferry as this to protect Rinko from Shuten-douji's attack in chapter 56.
- Expy: Of Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime. Descendant of a demon-hunting family? Check. An Unwanted Harem consists of weird girls? Check. Weirdness Magnet? Check. Nice guy that turns into a knife-wielding Badass in bad situations? Check.
- The Hero
- I Didn't Mean To Turn You On: Gropes Himari in his sleep and almost reached down inside her panties in the beginning of chapter 49. Upon realizing this, he apologizes, only to get kicked in the face for not going all the way.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Yuuto just wants to live a peaceful, normal life.
- In-Series Nickname: "Young Lord/Master"note for Himari and "Yuu-chan" for Kuesu. Also "Stupid Lord"note from Taizo on occasion.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Goes through this in the Noihara arc and the Kuesu arc.
- Last of His Kind: He is the only person in the Amakawa family bloodline following his parents and grandparents' deaths.
- Meaningful Name: His given name literaly means "Nice Guy", while his family name means "Heavenly River". In all, his name means "Nice Guy of the Heavenly River"
- Marshmallow Hell: Is often subjected to this, mainly by Himari, Liz, and Kuesu to a lesser extent.
- Me's a Crowd: Does this in chapter 62 with Tama, with Shizuku's aid.
- Morality Chain: To the main girls in his harem. Notably Himari, Kuesu, and Shizuku.
- Non-Action Guy: Unless he's seriously threatened. Not a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass, though, since he's neither that much of a badass (compared to others) nor that much of a moron.
- Nice Guy: His name literally means this.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Well, it already loses importance and power in the first chapter, but Yuuto HAD a charm to protect him from demons for several years, and he's an orphan...
- Pillar of Light: Can happen as a side effect of his powers.
- P.O.V. Boy, Poster Girl: The P.O.V. Boy to Himari's Poster Girl.
- Puberty Superpower: His Light Ferry ability.
- Refusal of the Call: Initially refused to become a demon slayer, due to his pacifistic nature and belief in coexistence between humans and ayakashi. He later accepts his role following the Christmas arc with Himari.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: After learning what Tsuchimikado and Kasuri were planning to do with Himari in chapter 52, he immediately leaves the demon slayer compound with her, thus severing his ties with the demon slayers for good. Also counts as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Swiss Army Superpower: His Light Ferry can enhance ordinary objects, weapons, himself, other people (just ask Himari in the anime finale), and can also be used as a trap or a barrier.
- Thanks for the Mammary: It's a Running Gag that this happens every time he falls onto a girl. Unusually for this trope, the girls in his unwanted harem often don't mind. Himari only objects if he does it during a battle or training session. Though he himself seems to have mixed feelings on this...
"They're big... (Gah, what am I saying!?)"
- At the beginning of chapter 7, he wakes up with Himari in his bed, his hand full of boob. Unlike the standard reaction of stopping, he briefly considers massaging it. Then Himari wakes up and doesn't care at all.
- The Kid with the Remote Control: See "Happiness in Slavery" with Himari.
- The Magic Touch: How his family's Light Ferry works.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Yuuto doesn't want anyone to get hurt. Most other characters are less friendly.
- In the anime, He finally recognizes that you can't save everyone, and uses Light Ferry to power up both Himari's sword AND HIMARI, in order to kill Shuten-douji. Whether this foreshadows the manga or not is unknown.
- Took a Level in Badass: He has some brief moments with this. His most notable examples is defending Rinko from Shuten-douji's attack in chapter 56 and wielding Himari's Yasutsuna to go against Tama in chapter 62 after Kuesu's death before having his arm bitten.
- Training from Hell: He tries this once with Shizuku, but without success — since she can't bring herself to actually hurt him, the training doesn't work. Then, Lizlet, Rinko and later even Himari show up, and it turns into Training From Marshmallow Hell...
- The training he now recives from Himari seems much less severe, though.
- Unlucky Everydude
- Weak, but Skilled: His family, while having no martial arts prowess, magic ability, or swordsmanship, has only gained demon slayer status because of their Light Ferry ability.
- Wham Line: Delivers on in chapter 63 after Himari absorbs Tama's spirit energy.
"Himari defeated the Nine-tails. It was a complete victory. But everyone who heard Himari's laugh..felt a sense of dread."
- Why Did it Have to be Heights?: Apparently couldn't handle them well, first shown in chapter 14 when Lizlet threw him up with no effort, causing him to scream for his life, and in chapter 22 during an outdoor art trip where he grew nervous by a cliffside. Turns out Himari was responsible for this fear.
The heroine of the series, she is a Cat Girl Samurai
spirit who protects Yuuto from the ayakashi out to kill him due to an ancient vow
set by her ancestor to serve the Amakawa family. She is a proud and noble samurai who will protect Yuuto at all costs. Though she is not above seducing Yuuto every now and then.
- Accidental Kiss: Gets one with Yuuto in chapter 16.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Asks Yuuto this in chapter 49 after he groped her in his sleep.
- Battle Aura: She gets a dark variation in the anime, during her berserker state.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Rinko's Betty for Yuuto's Archie. Though she is more of a Betty since she met Yuuto first and has known him the longest.
- And back in Yuuto's childhood, she was the Betty to Kuesu's Veronica.
- Bodyguard Crush: She was originally just supposed to protect Yuuto per his grandparent's wishes. But she eventually falls in love with him, like many of the other girls.
- Cat Girl: Played for Laughs in that Yuuto happens to be allergic to cats.
- And there's the scene where she swallows a medicine pill that would heal her, but initially would "shut down" her human side and make her go completely primal. Yuuto was worried at first that she would turn violent or be in pain, but as he hilariously found out, Himari's mind was merely turned into that of a playful cat, and with Yuuto right in front of her, she had her fun.
- Cats Hate Water: Played with. She doesn't like deep water, but she's perfectly fine in shallow water, hence why she's okay with taking a bath or shower.
- Although in Volume 0, while Yuuto and the others were near a pool, Himari was less than pleased while in it. She had the same reaction from when she went to the beach in Chapter 3. The reaction being very nervous.
- Cry Cute: After killing Hime in Book of the Gaiden.
- Cute Little Fangs: Well, given that she's a cat and all...
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Unleashes her demon aura in chapter 42 to fight a grown-up Tama in the ski resort's hot spring. She explains that when her kind was made to serve the Amakawas, they stopped using this technique (which was part of their fighting style) because it will revert them to their natural state.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Being a warrior who respects honor, Himari occasionally takes offense to Yuuto's kindness when something bad happens to her.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: From chapter 63 onwards after getting a taste of Tama's spirit energy and sucking it right out her. She gets better in the end, though.
- Expy: Of Mai Shiranui, another character voiced by Ami Koshimizu. Single-Target Sexuality towards her love interest? Check. Ninja girl (or in Himari's case, samurai girl)? Check. Ms. Fanservice? Check again.
- Fallen Heroine: After absorbing Tama's spirit energy in chapter 63, she becomes this due to its evil influence.
- Faux Paw: Does this on occasion. In fact, the back cover of the first volume has her do just that.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Himari has known Yuuto since his childhood, which was erased as a side effect from the protective charm. In fact, part of the Noihara arc revolves around her getting Yuuto those memories back.
- Gag Boobs: She has the second-biggest pair out of the female cast, with only Lizlet and a grown-up Tama (and possibly Kisaragi, after her reveal as an Ayakashi) surpassing her.
- Girlish Pigtails: She sports some on some of the chapter cover pages, but they are notably worn during the Christmas arc.
- Happiness in Slavery: She is more than happy to be Yuuto's servant and bodyguard. To give Yuuto credit, he really IS kind and caring towards her (and pretty much everyone else). Nonetheless, technically, she's a slave.
- Hair Decorations: Has one huge ribbon keeping her long ponytail in place which, from the front, gives the illusion of her having cat ears.
- Heroic BSOD: Suffers one after Yuuto gets stabbed in the back (manga)/sliced across the chest (anime) shielding her and appears to die.
- She also gets another one when she is transformed into a little girl by Kuesu's magic until Shizuku snaps her out of it.
- In the anime, she suffers another after Shuten-douji threatens Yuuto (just THREATENS, mind you). She then shows what a Super-Powered Evil Side really IS.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Does most of the fighting.
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- In-Series Nickname: "Cat Princess"note for Rinko, simply "Cat" for Kuesu and Shizuku, and to a lesser extent "Cat God"note for Hitsugi. Some of the fan translations turned "Cat Princess" into "Miss Pompuss".
- James Bondage: The only reason Himari doesn't need to CONSTANTLY rush out to save Yuuto is that she's usually already with him and can save him right away. Still, it happens.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Her katana, Yasutsuna, which was an heirloom from the Amakawa family. Bonus points for being a legendary sword used by Minamoto no Raiko to defeat Shuten-douji.
- Keigo: How she speaks. Some scanlators reflect this by rendering her speech in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe. The official English translation is smarter and more subtle about it by having her not use contractions as well as having her speech be more elaborate than that of the other characters.
- Kimono Fanservice: On some of the chapter cover pages and color inserts of each volume. Some within the chapters themselves if you know where to look.
- Lady of War
- The Lancer
- Little Bit Beastly: In her Cat Girl form, with the reflexes and speed to match.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Though she will still Megaton Punch a guy for Accidental Pervert moments, Himari is quite frank and comfortable with her sexuality than most anime girls are, and openly flirts with Yuuto.
- Madness Mantra: In her superpowered berserker mode when she fought Ageha.
- Magical Girlfriend
- Magic Pants: Entirely absent. Himari leaves her sword and clothes behind when she changes into a cat, and is naked when she turns into a girl again.
- Mahou Shoujo: She gets the full transformation treatment after Yuuto gives her the Light Ferry at the end of the series, complete with airborne clothes-changing and frilly tutu. Think Sailor Moon with a demonic bent.
- Mama Bear: To Yuuto. Comes with her duty as a bodyguard, after all.
- Meaningful Name: Her name means "Crimson Ball". The first kanji of her name is shared with her title, "Noihara Crimson Blade",note while the second kanji is a reference to how cats like to play with balls (of yarn), and Himari's ayakashi species is a cat monster (bakeneko). Her last name, Noihara, is taken from the village (now city when she and the gang revisited) where she was born and raised in.
- Meido: When she's working part-time at Cafe Relish. She can also let out her ears and tail there as well, as no one there can tell the difference between real and fake cat ears.
- Morphic Resonance: Subverted. Himari is a white cat, and as a girl... it changes to black. Lampshaded by Yuuto in an omake:
Yuuto: "Shouldn't your hair stay white, since it's easier to draw?"
- The same omake explains that the hair color was inspired by another character's (Kuesu).
- In the anime, Himari undergoes a further transformation in the final two episodes, when supposedly she gives herself FULLY over to her demon side. Her hair changes to white, her WHOLE BODY sprouts fur and gains marks, and her head/face become decidedly more cat-like. CRAZED cat-like, with red eyes.
- My God, What Have I Done?: At the end of Book of the Gaiden (which took place when Yuuto's grandparents were still alive) where she was forced to kill Hime, another cat ayakashi she befriended, due to the Amakawa family's law of killing cat ayakashi that have reverted to their primal instincts (she saw her consume the flesh of a human girl whose grandmother was once her owner). In other words, she was forced to kill a member of her own kind, and it was so painful to her that she starts crying. Poor Himari...
- Named Weapon: Yasutsuna, her katana.
- New Transfer Student: How she was introduced in chapter 2.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A Cat Girl Youkai who is also a Magical Girl and a Samurai.
- One-Winged Angel: In the final episodes of the anime. See Morphic Resonance below.
- Opera Gloves: In the Christmas arc.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mother died giving birth to her and she never met her father.
- P.O.V. Boy, Poster Girl: The Poster Girl to Yuuto's P.O.V. Boy.
- Proper Lady: Zig-zagged when it comes to her Young Lord.
- Purple Eyes
- Raised by Grandparents: Yuuto's grandparents raised her until their deaths.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair, when not in a ponytail, reaches past her back.
- Razor Wind: Her claw swipes in her full ayakashi state at the end of the anime has her do this, complete with Claw Lines.
- Red Baron: The Noihara Crimson Blade
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In the anime while in her Berserker Mode.
- Red Is Heroic: Evidenced through her name and Red Baron title. One of her "old" school outfits even contains hints of red, the most obvious example being her blazer in the fall.
- The Rival: To Kuesu when they first met in Noihara. It still shows even now.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She is "only interested in [her] master" and her body "belongs to him alone." Now add several attempts of her to seduce him.
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one in episode 9 of the anime when Ageha returns for Yuuto.
- Sitting on the Roof: She does this on some occasions.
- Sprouting Ears: Himari can actually do this, but her ears and tail are enough to trigger Yuuto's allergies, so she only does so if needed... or to threaten him ("I shall let out my ears and tail and meow").
- Actually, if sufficiently angered, she'll do more than threaten him...
- Super Mode: "Super Himari" in the anime's finale is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The "Berserker"-version. Shizuku warns Yuuto that basically any ayakashi, no matter how "civilized", might lose to its instincts, even herself.
- It gets worse in chapter 52 when Kasuri's mirror spell to expose Himari's dark side backfires and breaks, causing said dark side to escape from the mirror and merge inside of her.
- It shows up later in chapter 63 when she prepares to absorb Tama's spirit energy.
- In the anime, Himari does just this in the final two episodes to defeat Tama and Shuten-douji. BERSERK doesn't even begin to spell it out — she becomes destruction personified. Yuuto snaps her out of it with a hug and The Power of Love.
- These Hands Have Killed: She doesn't show much remorse when killing other ayakashi, but at the end of Book of the Gaiden after she kills Hime, another cat ayakashi, she breaks down hard.
- Title Character: Well, duh!
- Which quickly becomes a Title Drop after she takes over the role of protecting Yuuto after the protective charm (known in Japan as an omamori) stops working. In other words, she is Yuuto's new protective charm, or Omamori Himari.
- The Tease: So much.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Except that she is feminine.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Accordig to Volume 0, she likes to eat mitarashi dango. She even fought Kasuri over one last piece.
- Tsundere: Nice around others, teasing around Yuuto.
- Transfer Student Uniforms: She keeps her "old" school uniform (or at least a different one) to warn demons who plan to attack Yuuto that she is there to defend him.
- Undead Tax Exemption: Casts some spells so the people at school would "accept her presence here more easily". This starts to wear off in recent chapters.
- Vapor Wear: She usually doesn't wear a bra. Though justified since she usually wears a kimono. Lampshaded by Rinko and explained by Himari in chapter 4.
Rinko: (while groping to figure out her bust size) "And you're not wearing a bra, either!?"
Himari: "As if such a thing were needed when dressed in Japanese garb!"
- Voluntary Shapeshifter
- Weaksauce Weakness: As she is a cat, she is very sensitive to cold weather. This is prevalent in the Christmas and ski resort arcs.
- Wolverine Claws: In the anime's finale while she was in her full ayakashi state. She can even launch her strikes from a distance.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Kimono, black hair, loyal to her love interest? Check. Samurai who seduces her master? Uh...check?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Official artwork portray Himari with dark blue hair, despite her actual hair color being black.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Himari is well-aware that she will die sooner or later after Yuuto becomes a demon slayer knowing that She Cannot Fight Fate as an ayakashi, to the point of (jokingly) saying that she might be the first ayakashi he kills.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Both her old school uniform and Touryou High uniforms display Grade A, along with several others on some of the chapter cover pages.
Yuuto's Childhood Friend
- A-Cup Angst: Suffers from this big time - especially since three of the other girls after Yuuto are C-cup or above. One of them is even a T-cup.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 9, where she and Yuuto go to a Summer Festival, and in chapter 23.
- Batter Up: "Rinko-chan's Violent Love Nail Bat"
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Himari's Veronica.
- Technically, Himari and Kuesu met Yuuto before her. So she's more of a Veronica or a Cheryl depending on the reader's point of view. Then again, Yuuto did forget them as a result of the protective charm's magic.
- Childhood Friend
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Comedic Sociopath: Part of her Tsundere nature. Played for Laughs, of course.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Death Glare: Does this in chapter 56 to Shuten-douji of all people (well, ayakashi) after he offers to take her to a secluded battlefield.
- She also does it to Taizo in episode 1 when she was attempting to drag Yuuto out of the classroom.
- Girl Next Door: Her house is conveniently located next to Yuuto's.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Does this with Tama in chapter 54.
- Hair Decorations: Wears two red ribbons on both sides of her hair. These have a much deeper history.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Just seeing Yuuto in a Not What It Looks Like situation is enough to break out her nail bat.
- Hannibal Lecture: She and the Class Rep gave one to Tama in chapter 61. It didn't work.
- In-Series Nickname: "Flat-chested Commoner" for Kuesu, much to her anger.
- Non Action Girl: Despite all her impressive abilities, she is nothing compared to the rest of the cast since they aren't 'normal' to begin with.
- Ordinary High-School Student: She has no combat abilities nor powers like the other girls such as Kuesu and Himari.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Passionate Sports Girl: She is the best athlete in her school, but unfortunately,
- Tomboy: Plays a lot of sports at her school.
- Tsundere: Type B
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: The only girl in the Unwanted Harem who never even kisses Yuuto. All the others girls are luckier, even if most of them made their own luck.
- Why Did It Have to be Ghosts: Apparently couldn't handle them well. See chapter 45 for yourself.
- Zettai Ryouiki
A mizuchi, a water dragon deity, and the series' Token Mini-Moe
. Her family was killed by the Jibashiri Family of Demon Slayers 100 years ago, and has since borne a deep-seated hatred of Demon Slayers. She appears at the beach to kill Yuuto and Himari, but after witnessing the strange events between them, she decides to take up residence in Yuuto's house so she can "observe" him. She quickly falls in love/lust with him.
- A Day in the Limelight: More like an entire story arc in the limelight, starting from chapter 30 to chapter 33.
- An Ice Person: Can create ice spikes.
- Barely-There Swimwear: Wears an extremely skimpy bikini in Chapter 27. The other characters are very surprised about it (this also answers the age-old question just how these sling bikinis look like from the backside).
- Brutal Honesty: She has this tendency. She shamelessly lampshades her appeal to Lolicons, and in one instance, after Yuuto fainted in a bathtub, and woke up fully clothed:
Rinko and Himari: "I didn't see anything!"
Shizuku: "They had a good look at everything."
- Children Are Innocent: Oh, hell no she's not...
- Creepy Child: Where to begin...
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute Monster Girl
- Cry Cute: Oh so much in chapter 33.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has her moments.
- Emotionless Girl: Her facial expression almost never changes... almost.
- Expressive Hair: Shizuku's hair grows when she fights Kuesu, and shrinks back after the fight. It's probably related to anger, but it's hard to tell with her being an Emotionless Girl.
- It is later shown again in her fight against Ranka Mikari, where she actually does show her thirst for revenge.
- Expy: Korone from Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. Green hair, small chest, constantly snarking whilst deadpan and insistent on being an observer.
- Hair Intakes: The two "cat ears" in her hair.
- Healing Factor: Can instantly regenerate from water.
- Heel-Face Turn: She was intent on killing Yuuto at first due to his lineage as a demon hunter. But after seeing that he had no interest in harming ayakashi, and how protective he was of Himari, she later decides to help him instead.
- In-Series Nickname: "Loli(ta)-snake" for Rinko and simply "Snake" for Himari and Kuesu.
- Intimate Healing: Done once in the Noihara arc after Yuuto was injured. Himari was not impressed.
- Little Miss Badass
- Little Miss Snarker: She tends to do this from time to time, such as telling Yuuto both Himari and Rinko saw his naked body when the other two tried to deny it.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Nearly on the same level as Himari.
- Making a Splash
- Meaningful Name: Her name literally means "a drop (of water)", albeit written with different kanji.
- Mundane Utility: Uses her water control to cook, clean, and do the laundry with inhuman speed and skill to impress Yuuto.
- Older Than She Looks: Her actual age is at least 100 years. She explains her household skills by noting that before the destruction of her clan, daily chores like cooking and cleaning were more important than fighting... Said destruction was about 100 years ago.
- Overly Long Tongue: It has its advantages.
- Petite Pride: Unlike Rinko, she is fully aware of her appeal to Lolicons ("Few human men can resist a little girl's form like this.")
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Definitely.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Short hair, bright red eyes, abnormally pale skin that makes her look like a zombie, a deity and a cold and deeply stoic demeanor.
- Revenge: Her entire motive was to kill the demon slayer family responsible for the genocide of her clan. She nearly achieves this in chapter 33 had it not been for Yuto's Cooldown Hug.
- School Swimsuit: How she introduces herself in to Yuuto in the Beach Episode.
- Slasher Smile: On occassion.
- Snake People
- The Stoic: Shizuku barely shows any emotions other then smug and snarky.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Token Mini-Moe: She even declares at a few points that there is "only room for one loli" in the series. Later lampshades this whenever another little girl appears.
- Undead Child: Not literally, but she looks like it. When she joins the harem:
- Producing a funny variant of Not What It Looks Like, since Rinko jumps to the conclusion ... that Yuuto has found a corpse in the bathtub.
- One of the students in the art trip chapter even said that she looks like a Mini-Sadako.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Has the most clothes out of the bunch. This gets lampshaded by Himari in chapter 28.
Himari: "But why did the Young Lord shower you with gifts as well, Shizuku? You already have plenty of clothes, do you not?"
- As to where she stores them all... Well...
Yuuto: "Yeah, you've got a pretty big wardrobe. So where do you store it all...?"
Shizuku: "That's a girl's secret. ...You know."
- In fact, according to Himari in chapter 32, all she has in her room are just clothes; the rest of her belongings disappear without a trace.
- Verbal Tic: "Na no", which translated as "You know" in the English manga.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Like Himari, she too is very sensitive to cold weather because of her reptilian blood. This is justified in one chapter when she hid inside a kotatsu for warmth.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Lizlet L. Chelsie
Voiced by: Asuka Oogame
who works at Cafe Relish, a local Maid Cafe
in Takamiya where Himari also works. In actuality, she is a tsukumogami, an artifact spirit that becomes alive after 100 years.
She suspected Yuuto to be a demon hunter upon him visiting and tries to spike his tea with poison. After a brief scuffle with Himari that exposed her true form, she tried to save her teacup body
but fails until Yuuto caught it. Since then, she developed a crush on Yuuto.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 27.5.
- Animate Inanimate Object
- Boobs of Steel: Let's see. Largest bust of Yuuto's harem? Check. Having abnormal strength and speed? Check. The strongest fighter? Well, she did manage to pin down Himari (temporaily) with her Finishing Stomp in her intro chapter, so check.
- The Chick
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: See Soul Jar below.
- The Ditz
- Dojikko: Full stop when it comes to Yuuto.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She made brief cameos in the first two episodes of the anime. She doesn't make her official appearance until episode 3.
- Fantastic Arousal: It's heavily implied that Lizlet's teacup body is actually quite sensitive in this way.
- Foreign Fanservice: She's from England (Edinburgh, to be precise).
- Gag Boobs: The biggest pair of the main cast. This frequently gets lampshaded by the other girls of Yuuto's harem.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hair Decorations: Wears a frilly headband.
- Idiot Hair: It shows up on some panels.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses tea leaves to distract her opponents.
- In-Series Nickname: "Liz" for others. Though she has many others depending on the character.
- Limited Wardrobe: She is always seen wearing her maid outfit. The only time she is seen outside of her outfit was during the ski resort arc.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Pretty much on the same level as Himari and Shizuku.
- Minor Major Character
- Nigh Invulnerable: Her human body technically can't be harmed. The only way to hurt her is to go for the not-so-obvious weakness, her teacup body.
- Older Than They Look/Vague Age: Her real age is left ambiguous, but given that she was "born" after 100 years of being a teacup and spent some time in England before being brought to Japan by the cafe's boss, her biological age might be the same, if not slightly older, as Shizuku's.
- Pacifist: Though when the situation demands it...
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Rapunzel Hair: With her hair let down, it reaches down to her legs. Bonus points for it being blonde.
- Rescue Romance: She falls for Yuuto after he saves her (not her in general, but her teacup body).
- Single-Target Sexuality: After her teacup body was saved by Yuuto, she starts to proclaim herself as his "significant other" and even asks Yuuto to be her master, much to the other girls' consternation.
- Shout-Out: Makes one to Ghostbusters in her introductory chapter.
- Soul Jar: This is the actual "Badass" part of Lizlet's "Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass". Lizlet is by far not the only rather strong girl in this series, but being sliced and stabbed and just complaining about the ruined clothes? Being the manifestation of a sentient tea cup has its advantages.
- The Tease: Even more so than Himari.
- Token White: The only white person in an (otherwise) all-Japanese cast.
- Unusual Euphemism: Uses "Milk Tea" and "Lemon Tea" on occasion.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: She is the only character of Yuuto's harem with the least amount of screentime, which leads to this trope on occasion.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Underneath her maid uniform.
The heiress of the Jinguuji Family, a demon slayer family who are masters of Western dark magic
. She is Yuuto's fiancee who holds a strong sense of justice when it comes to her demon slayer duties, which is a result of her family being constantly ridiculed and mocked by both demon slayers and ayakashi alike, and will do anything to obtain power and respect. It is later revealed that she and Yuuto used to be friends in their childhood, and had Yuuto promise her to watch her back.
- Anime Accent Absence: She spent most of her childhood studying in England and traveling across Europe, but she barely has the accent to prove it.
- Arranged Marriage: She was arranged by Yuuto's grandfather to marry his grandson, which, according to her, is a Perfectly Arranged Marriage. Her fiancee, however, doesn't quite agree.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: Post-Disney Death.
- Badass Bookworm:
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: All rolled up in one nice package.
- Berserk Button: Do not call her out on her family's heritage, and especially don't harm her beloved Yuu-chan, or else she will bring <Death> upon you. Shizuku and Shuten learned this the hard way.
- Black Magician Girl: Her family's specialty.
- Blood Knight: She has been killing numerous ayakashi for as long as she can remember, even those who don't as much pose a threat to her. Toned down after Character Development.
- Blood from the Mouth: During her (supposed) last moment with Yuuto.
- Boring but Practical: Her magic attacks take some time to charge up and are highly directional. That's why she also relies on a plain old handgun.
- Cats Are Mean: She dislikes cats according to her bio in Volume 0. No wonder she hates Himari so much.
- Childhood Marriage Promise
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Complete Immortality: Gains this when the Book of Truth activated during her death. To her it's a case of Blessed with Suck and a Fate Worse Than Death.
- Cool Gate: She creates one from her room to the closet in Yuuto's room.
- Cool Sword: She wields Caladbolg, a legendary Irish sword, during her one-on-one duel with Shuten-douji.
- Covert Pervert: In chapter 41, she has an Imagine Spot of her and Yuuto in the hot springs bath. When asked by Kaburagi what's wrong, she denies that she was thinking dirty thoughts at all.
- Then there's the moment when she "accidentally" expresses her desire to have sex with Yuuto after the latter remembers his past with her.
Kuesu: "But it's self-evident that if you just went out with me more, you'd see how I'm a far better match for you. It doesn't help matters that you leave yourself so darn open. You're a teenage boy so there must be times when you look upon that cat (Himari) with less-than-decent thoghts in your mind! If you had me, that would be the end of that. I swear it!"
Yuuto: "Uh, what on earth are you going on about?"
the one who said it!!"
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her family has a long history of being discriminated by both the demon slayer families and ayakashi due to their use of Western magics, and Kuesu is no exception. And it even follows her halfway across the globe.
- Then again, her family's age-long quest for power and dominance hadn't quite helped ease her reputation, either.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She acts rather hostile towards Himari when they first meet. However, she does eventually start warming up to Yuuto's harem.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Her family's goal is to be relieved of that. It is also their credo.
- Dynamic Entry: In chapter 43, which also counts as a Crowning Moment of Funny, Blank White Eyes included.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She gets a brief cameo in episode 1 of the anime. She doesn't make her official appearance until the end of episode 5.
- Expy: She has exactly the same colouring as Suigintou.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Minus the lolita.
- Fantastic Racism: At first, before accepting the ayakashi of Yuuto's Unwanted Harem as her allies. Sort of.
- Forceful Kiss: Kissed Yuuto twice in front of Himari, and then told her that the second is actually the third.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend
- Genius Bruiser: Not only does she pack the most power out of all the haremettes despite being human (just ask Shuten in his last bout with her), but she also has the most brains due to her mastery of dark magics.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a frilly headband.
- Hime Cut
- I Have the High Ground: Her introduction.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Laevateinn, named after the legendary Norse sword, in chapter 60 during her (supposed) Last Stand against Shuten. It was powerful enough to blast the oni's physical body away.
- Knight Templar: Says to Yuuto that they are The Chosen Ones and eliminating ayakashi, friendly or not, is their duty as demon slayers. This changes when she accepts the ayakashi siding with Yuuto as her comrades (sort of).
- Lady of Black Magic
- Last Kiss: Gives one to Yuuto before succumbing to her wounds in chapter 61. The kiss is, in fact, a counterspell for Yuuto's allergies, as her way of saying I Want My Beloved to Be Happy.
- Last Stand: She was fatally wounded by Shuten before she launched her Kamehame Hadoken move to drive him out. She later succumbs to her injuries and dies in Yuuto's arms... Or so everyone thinks.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name means "God Palace", referring to her family's age-old craving for power.
- Macguffin Girl: Becomes this as a result of the Book of Truth activating during her death.
- Mystical White Hair
- Noblewoman's Laugh: On occasion.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Some of her outfits feature this.
- Opera Gloves
- Power Dyes Your Hair: At the end of her backstory in Volume 0. Her hair used to be black.
- Power Gives You Wings: With her Power Limiter released, she can create energy wings for flight, as shown during her duel with Shuten.
- Power Limiter: The crescent-shaped mark on her forehead. Her mother releases it in chapter 56.
- Purple Eyes
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: When performing a powerful magic spell, expect her to say "<Death> be with you!"
- Red Baron: The Twilight Moon
- Also "Crowley's Daughter", "Second Marginal", and "The Smiling Cluster Bomb", to name a few.
- The Rival: To Himari back in the day. It still shows.
- Touched by Vorlons
- She's Back: In chapter 64 during her Big Damn Heroes entrance when Tama's Co-Dragons attack Yuuto at his school.
- Tsundere: Type A, after Character Development. Lampshaded by Himari in chapter 21.
Himari: "'Yuu-chan?' So you go from hard as nails (tsuntsun) to soft as putty (deredere), is that it?"
- Unwitting Pawn: She was used by a former classmate of hers to act as a medium to gain access to the Book of Truth during her stay in England in Volume 0. Unfortunately for that classmate, she didn't expect Kuesu to be amazed by the vast amount of knowledge that was in it and continuing diving right in, leading to her Karmic Death via the means of her head exploding.
- With Great Knowledge Comes Great Insanity: Almost became this near the end of her bacstory in Volume 0 if it weren't for her past self reminding her about the promise Yuuto made to her in her childhood.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: After gaining Complete Immortality following her death.
- Yandere: Big time, although that's more arrogance and a ploy to forcefully awaken Yuuto's power and reawaken his memories (and trying to keep Himari away from him by making him allergic to cats). She becomes Tsundere after that.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A in some of her outfits. Even under her dress.
Gennosuke and Sawako Amakawa
Yuuto's late grandparents.
- Badass: Gennosuke used to be a demon slayer before his retirement
- The Hermit: It is explained by Himari that Gennosuke gave up his daily life to become a demon slayer.
- In-Series Nickname: "Grandpa/Old Man Gen" and "Grandma Sawa" for Himari.
- It Was a Gift: Sawaka gave Yuuto the protective charm right before her death.
- Posthumous Characters
Ranka Mikari (Jibashiri)
The head of the Kagamimori family of demon slayers.
- Cool Big Sis: To Hisuzu
- Doppleganger Spin: Using her mirrors, she can create identical clones of herself while attacking from behind.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Her top really outlines her breasts well. In fact when Hitsugi introduced her to Yuuto in chapter 51, she describes her as a "powerful, big-boobed shrine maiden".
- Friendly Rivalry: With Himari back in Noihara.
- Gag Boobs: If Hitsugi's introduction to her says anything.
- Keigo: Like Himari, she also speaks this way.
- Magic Mirror: Her familiy's ability.
- Meaningful Name: Her family name means "Mirror Forest", referring to her ability.
- Mundane Utility: Uses her mirror powers to steal the last dumpling, to Himari's fury.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Like Himari, she, too, likes to eat dango.
- Rapunzel Hair
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Uses this in chapter 52 to reveal Himari's true nature until it goes horribly wrong.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She's only 19, yet she speaks like an old lady. Lampshaded by Himari in chapter 51...
Himari: "Your words sting mine ears, and your sermon does run awfully dull and long. For all that you are a young lady, you act more like an old woman."
- And later in the same chapter by Hitsugi.
Hitsugi: "Ku-hee-hee. For having such a hot bod, you really do sound like an old granny."
Kasuri's younger sister.
The head of the Tsuchimikado family of demon slayers and leader of all the demon slayer families.
- Affably Evil: Has conversations with Yuuto and the girls on a timely basis.
- Back from the Dead
- Berserk Button: Just the sight of Yasutsuna is enough to piss him off. It was the sword that ended his life, after all.
- The Dragon: To Tama. At least until his death.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In Chapter 50, after learning Tama has mind-controlled the Class Representative/Yuu Shimamura and is hatching a plan, Shuten-doji silently expresses distaste for using the human as a hostage.
- Famous Last Words: "The fault is all mine, but pay it no heed. After all, this is what protecting and being protected is all about."
- Face Death with Dignity
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: The sole reason why he seeks revenge is because he was tricked by Minamoro-no-Raiko into drinking poisoned sake, which contributed to his demise.
- I Owe Her My Life: Tama was the one who found him and brought him back to life, thus why he supports her in her plans.
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Killed Off for Real: Though it only took two (one for his physical body and another for his spiritual body) for him to finally be killed.
- Sacred Hospitality: Deeply resents that his first defeat came from humans who violated this, by poisoning him after being accepted into his home. He is much more accepting of his second defeat, which was in a straight-up fight.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Taking the Bullet: He (in his spiritual form) dies saving Tama from a fatal attack from Himari in chapter 62, which led to Tama's Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- True Final Boss: Of the anime.
- Worthy Opponent: Finds Yuuto and Kuesu to be this, going so far as to remind Tama in chapter 55 that he's the only one allowed to defeat them.
- You Remind Me of X: Says this during his duel with Kuesu, claiming her fearless expression reminded him of the time when one of the two girls he kidnapped in Kyoto challenged him for their freedom. Although she died, he was moved by her persistence. The other girl, however, was so traumatized by her sister's death that she committed Seppuku.
Voiced by: Mariko Honda
A zashiki-warashi who maintains Yuuto's deceased grandparents' home in Noihara.
A Hinoenma, a vampiric succubus who feeds off the blood of men, that attacked Yuuto and Himari at Noihara. She developed feelings for Yuuto after he defended her from Himari's Unstoppable Rage
, although she won't admit it
Voiced by: Mayako Nigo
An Ippon-dattara, a one-legged cyclops, and Ageha's Kid Sidekick
that aided her in her attack at Noihara.
A giant ayakashi that attacked Yuuto and Himari at Yuuto's grandparents' estate in Noihara.
- Easily Forgiven: After being forced by Ageha to battle Himari and Yuuto, he seems to let it all be in the past when he saved her and Sasa from Tama, according to Sasa in chapter 53.
- Gentle Giant: According to Himari, they are rather docile creatures that would never consider to take a person's life.
- Giant Mook: For Ageha.
- In-Series Nickname: 'Bocchi for Sasa.
- Killed Off for Real: In the anime where he gets taken out by the Pillar of Light created when Yuuto's Light Ferry awakens for the first time. He survives in the manga, based on Sasa saying in chapter 26 that he "sends his regards".
- The Voiceless: Subverted in the anime where it has him do deep groans.
Voiced by: Mami Kosuge
A fugurama-youbi, a messenger spirit, under the service of Himari and Kaya.
A Yuki-onna who lives with a human ski resort owner on Mount Hakugin.
A cat ayakashi who appeared in the two-part comic Book of the Gaiden
Ekou and Kurozakura
A pair of ayakashi serving under Tama.
Light Novel characters
A sacred tree spirit that appears in volume 1 of the light novels.
A wolf spirit who appears in volume 2 of the light novels.
A character featured in Volume 4 of the light novels.
Yuuto's classmate and best friend.
Class President/Yuu Shimamura
The Class Representative
of Yuuto, Rinko, and Himari's class.
Yuuto, Rinko and Himari's homeroom teacher at Touryou High.
Kuesu's retainer who works for Section 4 of the Branch of Public Peace, a covert branch that centers on the supernatural and paranormal.
Sae's colleague and an art teacher at Touryou High.
An upperclassman whom Kuesu met during her stay at England. Appears in Volume 0.
Taizo's little sister.