Hikaru/Kaoru: Who's "mommy"?Usually appears in the Harem Genre, and keeps a look out for the major, non-daily disturbances in the household. Outside of that, the cast is on their own. This character is collected and cool as a cucumber, and isn't about to stress about every little thing. They have more fun amusing themselves with the cast's antics. Notable for being probably the only character who will give you a simple straight answer for anything. Usually older than the rest of the cast and (almost) never a romantic possibility (though occasional flirting isn't ruled out). Frequently has a sneaky streak that is not initially obvious and is thus an Unflappable Guardian. Contrast Nerd Nanny.
Kyouya: From a club standpoint, I guess I am...
Kyouya: From a club standpoint, I guess I am...
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tsubame Ameyagi in Ai Kora is an interesting case. From the girls' perspective, she's the harem nanny — but to Hachibei, who's only interested in individual body parts, she and her legs are definitely part of the harem.
- Shigure in Fruits Basket. Except for the straight answer part. Hatori and Hatsuharu fit also, since their main role in the story is keeping the others in line.
- Yoriko from Haiyore! Nyarko-san, who for added fun is also the mother of Mahiro, the central figure of the story's Love Dodecahedron. Thus the "nanny" aspect mainly comes about through her gentle but firm Mama Bear attitude towards "Hiro-kun's" pursuers, though she is actually fond of the aliens living under her roof and even seems to be playing matchmaker for Mahiro and Nyarko.
- Maria in Hayate the Combat Butler will occasionally have this role, depending on the episode. Granted, other times she's just another member of the harem, but otherwise she embodies the trope fairly straight.
- Chifuyu Orimura from Infinite Stratos is this for her little brother Ichika's ever-growing harem. She's also his homeroom teacher, dorm monitor, combat instructor, and did we mention she's also the strongest IS pilot? It doesn't help that she essentially took care of him while growing up so his world revolves around her to a degree. In the eyes of the harem, rather than being the Nanny, she's the Final Boss.
- Haruka in Love Hina. While Keitaro is officially the landlord at Hinata House, she's the eldest and the one generally responsible for wrangling everyone, particularly when a crisis mounts.
- Chizuru, as well as most older characters in Mahou Sensei Negima! (Albireo, Takemichi, Konoemon, ect.)
- Subverted in the case of Takamichi, as while he would otherwise be a straight Harem Nanny, the heroine has a hard crush on him. This is revealed to be more than just for laughs, as he reveals an angstier side of him when he rejects her advances, commenting that he is not worthy of being loved.
- Kyoya of Ouran High School Host Club isn't the president of the club, but is considered the "mommy" of the group. Then again, he could just be considered a pimp. He is the one with all the answers as to what is going on, since Tamaki was too busy with ladies.
- Nekonome-sensei fills this role in Rosario + Vampire, as she's both Tsukune's homeroom teacher and the sponsor of the Newspaper Club.
- Her rather playful personality (while appropriate enough for a Cat Girl) couldn't exactly be described as "cool as a cucumber", though.
- Miya in Sekirei, she is older than the rest of the cast and seem to enjoy teasing the protagonist calling him "Criminal".
- Tenchi's grandfather Yosho in Tenchi Muyo!.
- Though he most definitely would not give Tenchi a straight answer. And then third OVA introduced a whole bunch of these characters (Seto and Airi at the very least).
- The School Nurse Mikado in To Love-Ru is pretty much the only somewhat sane female character next to Mikan. She does have her moments though.
- Tomoe Nanjou in Tsuki Tsuki! usually has to take care of his son's harem. Bonus points for at least half of the harem living in her house.
- A couple different characters play the role at different times in UFO Princess Valkyrie. Usually it's Kazuto, though occasionally Rika and Akina play the role as well.
- BC in Vandread - a no-nonsense second in command of the space pirate crew composing most of the cast and one of the few females to not overreact to having males stuck with their Amazon Brigade. Mainly because he's a Double Agent. Yes he.
Live Action TV
- The Young Riders has Emma, the Pony Express station 'housemother' is pretty much this to the Pony Express riders. And she's handy with a shotgun, too, when outlaws coming calling.
Video Games and Visual Novels
- Akiko in Kanon.
- Fujimura Taiga in Fate/stay night is a partial fit for Harem Nanny. She's definitely not cool as a cucumber (in fact, she's the main comic relief), but she's the gatekeeper of Shirou's harem; each time another girl invades his house, Shirou's first problem is how to explain it to Taiga.
- The main ones in Sakura Wars are the Fujieda sisters Ayame and Kaede (but not at the same time; Kaede is the convenient substitute when Ayame becomes unavailable from Sakura Wars 2 onward), with the Grand-Mère taking this role in the third game. Ratchet Altair carries the torch in Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, though the trope can be subverted on a New Game+ if the player chooses to romance her.