List of characters from the manga series Okane Ga Nai
A towering, gruff and unforgiving Loan Shark
, Kanou is the couple's designated Seme
. Unscrupulous and ruthless, he heads a corrupt financial loan company that makes a point of fleecing people dry.
We know little of Kanou's past, only that he had a very
bad relationship with his father and that he always had a temper.
He got saved by Ayase's kindness back in the times when he reached his life's rock bottom. As repayment, Kanou "frees" Ayase from the grip of his would-be buyers during the auction his cousin Testuo sold him off to by bidding higher than the rest. After trying to bond naturally with Ayase, this proves ineffectual especially when Ayase seems to have lost all memory of his previous encounter with Kanou.
As his urges get the better of him, Kanou goes to the next best thing in his mind and proceeds to rape Ayase
. He then practically locks him up to make sure Ayase doesn't run away from him.
Quite unusually, Kanou is clearly head over heels for Ayase thus isn't always at his advantage in his relationship with him. However, he is gradually learning how to convey his emotions better and usually treats Ayase with kindness and consideration, despite being thoroughly possessive and domineering.
- Bad Boss: When you know how he recruited the twins...
- Bastard Boyfriend: It's not that he means to be this, but... he locks Ayase up, forces him to live with him, starts off by raping him, and wants to prohibit him from interacting with anyone else and is overprotective to an absurd degree to the point where he has a bodyguard follow him around. It's not that he is trying to be a bastard or hurt Ayase in any way... but he doesn't do things by half measures.
- Berserk Button: Do not, repeat do not, raise a hand to Ayase. Kanou will get angry, and Kanou will fuck you up.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Can become incredibly possessive towards Ayase.
- Former Teen Rebel
- Gayngst: Has a hard time admitting that just because Ayase is the only man he ever had sex with doesn't change the fact that both of them are in a homosexual relationship by definition.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Emphasis on "monster". Incredibly possessive and jealous towards Ayase. Anyone who touches him will regret it.
- If It's You, It's Okay: He's "not gay". Ayase is "special". Once he admits he actually is gay for liking Ayase, he makes a big deal out of how he's still different because Ayase is the only guy he likes.
- Jerkass Fašade: Kanou behaves like a complete asshole but many characters - especially Gion and Someya - are able to see through this and are not afraid of provoking him openly.
- Heroic BSOD
- Loan Shark: Owe him enough and he'll cut you up and sell your organs. Or force you into prostitution to earn back his money.
- Rape Is Love: From Kanou's point of view
- Seme: And how! He's big, he's strong, he's aggressive, he's possessive and jealous, he's rich and powerful, he's... yeah.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Kanou is attracted to Ayase and nobody else.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Troubled, but Cute
- Younger Than They Look: Hard to believe he's 26 years old when he's scowling all the time, wears fancy suits, and looks murderously intimidating. But also adverted as he looks his age in casual clothing.
University student sold to slavery to make up for his cousin's gambling debts. Voiced by Jun Fukuyama
in the anime.
- Accidental Pornomancer: Ayase, by the Anthropic Principle.
- Armor-Piercing Slap
- Attractive Bent-Gender
- Can't Hold His Liquor: To which Kanou takes full advantage of.
- Defiant Captive: When threatened and cornered by some members of the yazuka, Ayase stands up for his okama co-workers.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Even the Guys Want Him: Ayase is an extreme case where 95% of the straight guys he meets will either fall in love with him or simply want to have sex with him. It gets to the point where you're not quite sure if the manga is going to swap genres and become a fantasy where we find out that Ayase is in fact some inhuman entity who secretes pheromones that make everyone want him. The cover art with him exhibiting white angel wings seems to be screaming something along those lines.
- This was lampshaded in an omake at the end of Chapter 39, where the auto mechanic thinks about how both President Kanou and his employee Kuba seem to be in love with Ayase but claim they're not gay. He then looks at his employees who are all drooling over Ayase, and concludes that Ayase-fever must be contagious.
- Horrible Judge of Character
- Made a Slave: obviously, to pay off his cousin's Yakuza debts.
- Oblivious to Love
- Older Than They Look: He's 18 and male but looks 16 and female.
- Sex Slave
- Shrinking Violet
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Ayase. So so much. His beauty tends to bring out irresistible urges in the males around him, and in chapter 17 Tokikawa suggests he hasn't had real friends because people only see his beauty, not the person inside.
- Too Dumb to Live: Can be excused, though, since victims of rape, human trafficking, and abusive relationships tend to act like Ayase does. It could also be that he has developed Stockholm Syndrome.
- Uke: In case you were wondering, he's small, delicate, effeminate, cute, with huge Tareme Eyes, gentle, shy etc...
Misao's twin, Kanou's underling, Ayase's bodyguard.
Homare's twin, Kunou's underling.
- Badass Gay
- Beware the Nice Ones: Like you wouldn't believe...
- Brutal Honesty: Towards Kanou mostly, whom he doesn't seen to fear at all, despite not being exempt from one of Kanou's trademark head smash if he goes too far.
- Cool Big Sis
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: No really. He doesn't seem that powerful but ask the guy who tried to bully his "girls" how Someya deals with troublemakers.
- Deadpan Snarker: Again, especially towards Kanou but no one is free from being on the receiving end of his sarcasms.
- Femme Fatalons: Often displays those.
- Spinoff: Main character in Henshin Dekinai.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Someya, although he's often tactless, especially towards Kanou. Not to mention Ayase himself who crossdresses once in a high school play and later when he has to replace one of the "girls" at Someya's okama bar.
Kanou's protege of sorts.
Ayase's school acquaintance.