She's holding the card, waving the race flag, or handing out the trophies with the accompanying bouquet. She's not participating in the sport (at least not on the front lines). She is, however, not wearing very much. In Japan, this trope is called "Race Queen" and these girls are usually also some form of Idol. Their official job description is holding an umbrella for the driver but that's obviously not the only reason they are there. Sex Sells, after all. Compare with Hood Ornament Hottie. Not to be confused with that kind of pit.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Future GPX Cyber Formula:
- Asuka started out as one, who doubles as the acting owner of her team. Later in the series, Megumi and Satsuki takes up the Pit Girls role in the last 2 OVAs.
- Rena Yuuki from the games (including the Playstation game The New Challenger), who is the race queen for FICCY.
- Mirai Ozora has this role during a car race in Moldiver.
- The Hentai manga Koisuru Race Queen by Chataro.
- Hideyoshi Kinoshita of Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is forced into this during a test battle he is not participating in. He tries to back out by pointing out that he isn't a girl, but this argument fails.
- Haruna of all people did the card holding and not wearing a whole lot during a "manliness tournament" (read: boxing match etc) in an episode of the anime of To Love-Ru. Lala accompanied her.
- An anonymous Pit Girl is in the first episode of Kill la Kill in the match between Ryuko and Takarada. Both rounds that the match lasts, she's quickly knocked out of the ring by Takarada.
Films — Live-Action
- The Rocky movies. In the first Rocky, the ring girl is dressed like the Statue of Liberty with silver makeup for the Bicentennial theme the champion Apollo Creed is promoting. A nice detail is her bound hair gets more unkempt as the fight (which most people didn't think would last three rounds) goes on for the entire fifteen. In Rocky II, for the rematch between Rocky and Apollo there are TWO ring girls, a black one and a white one wearing swimsuits, alternating each round.
- Valets are usually not this trope, although they may fall into it due to character neglect.
- Mexican wrestling fed CMLL has "Ring Girls" accompany all their wrestlers to the ring.
- WCW had the Nitro Girls. Although some of them eventually started participating in angles, for the most part they just danced.
- WWF's Godfather was, during the Attitude Era, accompanied by "Hos". Although they generally did nothing, it's an interesting trivia note that Victoria debuted as the ho that the Right to Censor powerbombed through a table. In addition, another one of the hos was holder of the Hardcore Championship... for about a minute.
- This is commonly featured in racing games.
- As well as the comedy boxing game, Facebreaker, which focuses on very Stripperifficly dressed round girls at the start of each round.
- Parodied in Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, where the round card is carried by Mona, a frumpy, clearly jaded bar waitress.
- Fight Night Round 3, at least, made sure to feature the ring girls between rounds. What's it mean when I got more entertainment from listening to the advice given to my boxer and his opponent?
- Monday Night Combat features one actually named Pit Girl. She also has elements of a Wrench Wench.
- Kiya carries the round cards during the boxing stage of MediEvil 2. Oddly, she wears more clothes than usual.
- Street Fighter managed to get by for 21 years without, but finally gave in, featuring them in one of the stages of Street Fighter IV alongside the usual round indicator.
- The King of Fighters '97 is the only game in the series to have card girls, for some reason.
- Crash Team Racing has four Petting Zoo People girls with parasols who present trophies to the winners of the races. They're not particularly dressed very skimpily, though they have Jiggle Physics.
- The Atari horseshoe game Shuuz has a bikini-clad girl crossing the pitch with round cards.
- Xandir takes on this role at least once in Drawn Together.
- It was suggested that Kiva do this in one episode of Megas XLR due to the fact that the current round card girl was a squarish robot. In a bikini.
- On the Family Guy episode where Meg joins the school newspaper, Lois worries that if Meg doesn't get into Brown University, she'll end up as a pit girl for bum fights.
- A pit girl is featured in You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown. If memory serves, the winner was supposed to get a kiss from her. Weird, in that nobody in the cast of Peanuts is over 9. What Could Have Been if Peppermint Patty won...
- In Wakfu, the first Gobbowl 3-episode arc features various Fanservice Extras of this kind, like the bikini-clad cowgirls ridding gobbals, or the two "bunny girls" (their costumes close to that of a Playboy Bunny, but with two little horns instead of rabbit ears) flanking the announcer.
- Starfire performs this role in the Teen Titans Go! episode "Little Buddies"; holding up the round cards during the fight between Pain Bot and the other Titan companions.
- The tradition goes back to the horse races of the ancient Rome, where the Pit Girl was traditionally a part of the prize.
- It disappeared for a long time in American automobile racing, where it was believed women in the pits was back luck up through the early 1980s.