Literally Loving Thy Neighbor
Often in fiction the person who you have the crush on lives right next door. Comes in three types.
- The protagonist and the neighbor fall in love with each other.
- The protagonist loves the neighbor but they don't love the protagonist back. (Possibly because they're unaware of the crush.)
- The neighbor loves the protagonist and they most likely know, but just doesn't feel the same way.
This neighborhood love interest can over lap with or be confused with the Girl Next Door
who is average and wholesome femininity personified. He might not be able to resist the urge to take advantage on the situation and spy on her or he might visit her by Enter Stage Window
Obviously, not really that rare in Real Life
. It's been said that one of the more unusual side effects of the steam engine was that for the first time people weren't limited to marrying their neighbors.
Compare Childhood Friend Romance
Anime & Manga
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Amuro Ray's neighbor, Frau Bow has a substantial crush on him, and acts as his social crutch during their time at Side 7. Unfortunately, the war sees her sidelined and causes Amuro to distance himself from her, ending any hope of a relationship.
- The World God Only Knows: Partially subverted then later played straight via the third instance with Tenri Ayukawa. When she was 7, her family once lived diagonally near Keima's house until an earthquake destroyed the latter's house, thus forcing Keima and his family to live elsewhere. Ten years later, she reappears before him, but now as his new neighbor.
- Your Lie in April: Because they're also being Childhood Friends, Tsubaki's feelings to Kousei is eventually become this, but she always assumed its just a Like Brother and Sister-type relationship until he met Kaori and she start to jealous to her.
- Mary Jane was the girl next door to Peter Parker's Aunt May in Spider-Man. Also unusually for this trope they didn't meet through being neighbors but through Peter's Aunt May's and Mary Jane's Aunt Anna's attempt to set them up. Played much straighter in the movies where MJ was Peter's neighbor since childhood.
Literature and Folklore
- In Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Harold has a crush on his neighbor but is too shy to tell her.
- The Film Noir In a Lonely Place about a romance between two neighbors after their involvement in a criminal investigation.
- The Girl Next Door: Matthew Kidman looks through his bedroom window into the bedroom of the house next door. He sees the girl next door who's as sexy as can be. She sees him looking at her and comes over to talk with him about it.
- Bryce moves in right across the street from Julie in Flipped. She sees him and decides that he's walking around with her first kiss. He takes the length of the movie to decide that she's kissable.
- Whatever It Takes: Shane West is Jodi Lyn O'keefe's neighbor, who, after chasing the wrong girl., finally realities he had more in common with his friend, and the girl next door. Various scenes are heavily based on their balconies facing each others'
- Drive Me Crazy where the protagonists are neighbors who use, then fall in love with each other.
- In Sky High Layla walks over to Will's house so they can walk to the bus stop together.
- In North Sea Texas, Pim lives next door to Gino and Sabrina. Sabrina has a crush on Pim, and Pim has romantic feelings for Gino, with whom he has a sexual relationship.
- Many interpretations and reiterations of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet have the dueling families of the Capulets and the Montagues come from neighboring houses making the romance between Romeo and Juliet an example.
- Pyramus and Thisbe from Ovid's The Metamorphoses live in connected houses, but they're forbidden to see each other because of their parent's rivalry. They communicate through a crack on the wall.
- Older Than Feudalism: In The Bible, David and Bathsheeba being nearby each other (so that he could see into her bath).
- Pride and Prejudice opens with Mr Bingley, a wealthy young bachelor, moving into Netherfield house in the neighbourhood of the Bennet family. His friend Mr Darcy quickly notices that Elizabeth Bennet is agreeable but not handsome enough to tempt him.
- Emma eventually ends up with Mr Knightley, a longtime friend and neighbor of her family's.
- In A Brother's Price, the protagonist's sister Corelle has a crush on the neighbour boy.
- That '70s Show had Eric living next to Donna. They eventually hook up and even get engaged.
- In Cougar Town, Jules and Grayson had Unresolved Sexual Tension in season 1; since it was resolved, in season 2, they have a full relationship.
- Friends: Monica and Chandler live across the hall from each other for years and eventually fall in love and get married. Though its hard to tell the difference between before and after they move in together, given they practically lived in each other's apartments all along.
- It's a rather ironic example if you consider the fact that they had to go to London, of all places, to very unexpectedly hook up
- Freddy lives across the hall from Carly in iCarly and he's loved her since the day they've met.
- In Family Matters Urkel loves Laura. Laura's less than thrilled.
- The How I Met Your Mother episode "The Platinum Rule" is about this as the gang is trying to explain to Ted why he shouldn't go on a date with his dermatologist, the title refers to Barney's colorary to The Golden Rule (misinterpreted, obviously): "You can love thy neighbor, but never, ever love thy neighbor." The plot follows how not heeding this rule comes out badly for the others.
- The episode "The Window" is about Ted chasing after the ultimate Girl Next Door, though he looses to the ultimate boy next door.
- Family Ties: neighbor boy Skippy has an unrequited crush on Malorie.
- Leonard (and Sheldon, surprisingly) almost immediately has a crush on their new neighbor Penny from across the hall in the pilot episode of The Big Bang Theory. The majority of the early seasons has Leonard pining for Penny; eventually, they start dating.
- Lana Lang lives so close to Clark in Smallville that he can spy on her through his telescope.
- On Dollhouse, Paul's neighbor Mellie has a crush on him, and they eventually get together. It turns out she's a Doll who was planted there for that specific reason.
- On Sister Sister, Roger has a crush on Tia and Tamara. They each briefly reciprocate eventually.
- Taylor Swift in the music video of her song You Belong With Me is able to write messages and hold them up to her bedroom window to show her crush. He writes back because she's his friend.
- This trope is the basic premise of Serendipity Next Door, a Romance Game in which all of the prospective love interests live in the same apartment building as the protagonist. One of them, Masaomi, occupies the apartment immediately next door to hers.