I fought the law, and the law won.
I fought the law, and the law won.
I needed money 'cause I had none.
I fought the law, and the law won."
Jail, the Big House, the Slammer.
If a show is set in Prison, the wardens and/or guards usually contain at least one Drill Sergeant Nasty, and there is a prevalence of gang violence, drug abuse, and Prison Rape. Due to the need to present the setting as extremely violent, dangerous and chaotic, shows set primarily in prison, such as Oz, will frequently use Red Shirt characters.
- The Alcatraz
- Cardboard Prison
- Deadly Environment Prison
- Epiphanic Prison
- Gilded Cage
- Glassy Prison
- The Gulag
- Hellhole Prison
- Luxury Prison Suite
- Penal Colony
- Possessive Paradise
- POW Camp and its two bastard children, the internment camp and the concentration camp.
- Prison Episode
- Sky Cell
- Tailor-Made Prison
- Thrown Down a Well, aka the Oubliette.
For Real Life background information:
Prison as the main setting:
- Alcatraz, with the flashback half of the show being set in the eponymous prison.
- Bad Girls
- Dead Boss
- Hogan's Heroes
- Locked Up
- Orange Is the New Black
- Porridge which ran considerably against type, being a sitcom with relatively little violence. Episodes focusing instead on surviving institutional life, characters and friendship.
- Prison Break
- Prisoner: Cell Block H
- The Slammer
- Within These Walls
- Women In Prison
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is based on escaping a prison.
- Sanitarium: A great game based on escaping from a loony bin.
- The Suffering is a third-person shooter that takes place on a prison... that gets attacked by monsters.
- Half-Life 2 had you breaking into a high security prison, Nova Prospekt. To do this you had to storm a fortified beachfront, run past several machine gunners, scale a steep cliff face and shoot down a pair of gunships just to make it inside. According to another character, this was easier than breaking out. Once inside, the largely empty Nova Prospekt turned out to be pretty eerie.
- The Riot Act mod is about a prisoner breaking out of Nova Prospekt during the break-in mentioned above.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum: The entire game is set in the titular insane asylum/prison. Fortunately, it's varied enough to be entertaining the whole way through.
- Prison Architect puts you in charge of building and maintaining your own private prison for profit.
- The Escapists and The Escapists 2 mostly take place in prisons.
- Lucky Dog 1 until the main cast breaks out.
- The Lydian Option is a sci-fi comic set on an asteroid prison run by a species that incarcerates criminals for every offense, no matter how minor.
- Last Res0rt features a deadly reality show with prisoners (and a few volunteers) as the contestants, taking place on a space station that provides (among other things) the prison complex the players are being held in.
- Survival of the Fittest version three has a jailhouse/prison/military stockade as one of the locations, frequently used as shelter by the students. So far it's one of the least bloody locations on the island, with only one person having died there. V3 characters Brad Kavanagh and Eduardo Trinidad-Villa are also mentioned as having spent time in juvenile hall, Brad on (false) murder charges, and Eduardo on assault charges. Brad was released when the real killer came forward and his case was overturned, but Eduardo served his entire sentence.
Prison is frequently used as a set:
- One Piece (Impel Down arc.)