This is the character sheet for White Album 2, the spin-off sequel to White Album. Tropes pertaining to characters from both the anime and the visual novel will be found here. Help would be very much appreciated.
Because the events of Closing Chapter and Coda have yet to be adapted, beware of unmarked spoilers.
The main protagonist of White Album 2. Aspiring to be a skilled guitarist, he joins Houjou High's light music club in his third year together with his friend Takeya Iizuka in an effort to learn and improve his playing, though with minimal success. At the beginning of the story, he and Takeya are the sole members of the light music club remaining, the others having left thanks to having to deal with Tomo Yanagisa as the lead vocalist. To save their club from being completely disbanded, he, in a turn of fate, recruits Setsuna Ogiso and Kazusa Touma into the light music club to be their vocalist and pianist respectively.
- Accidental Pervert: Walks in on Kazusa wearing only a towel over her while he was staying over at her house. Happens again in the visual novel-like Picture Drama included in the anime's blu rays, though this time, he has the option of accidentally walking in on either Kazusa or Setsuna (depending on the players' choice) changing into their outfits before the iconic concert from episode 7.
- The Ace: Excepting his guitar playing at the beginning of the story, this is how the students at Houjou High view him as when it comes to academics and other business-like affairs. He's reliable, responsible, organized, and handy when it comes to committee-related activities. Probably the reason why he's his class's Class Representative before the start of the story.
- All Love Is Unrequited: What he feels towards Kazusa, during the events of Introductory Chapter. The song he personally wrote, Todokanai Koi Translation , reflects his feelings towards her.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Kazusa's Veronica and Setsuna's Betty.
- Chick Magnet: As of Closing Chapter, he now has five girls after him, though only Setsuna and Kazusa remain prominent throughout the entirety of White Album 2.
- Class Representative: He used to be one, though his peers continue to rely on him as if he was still in that position.
- The Determinator: He never gave up on Kazusa no matter how coldly she'd treat him. Unlike his peers and teachers who have, at that point, practically given up on her, Haruki would stop at nothing to help her out whenever he could, even continuing to persistently call and visit her at a time when Kazusa closed herself off from both Haruki and Setsuna to concentrate on her piano recital.
- Dreadful Musician: At least in the beginning before Kazusa began to teach him how to play properly.
- It's All My Fault: Despises himself for cheating on Setsuna for Kazusa despite still being in a relationship with the former thanks to his indecisiveness and naivety towards his own feelings for both girls. So when Setsuna still doesn't blame or even outright hate him for what he did, instead choosing to place all the blame on herself, it only made him feel even worse.
- Nice Guy: He's thoughtful and considerate, oftentimes putting the welfare of others before himself as evidenced by his relationship with both Setsuna and Kazusa, to the point that he's known for being preachy, but...
- The Reliable One: How a lot of people see him as thanks to his studiousness and avid persistence when it comes to work. This is why, despite not being a member of the committee, Hayasaka ropes him into helping out on preparations for Houjou's School Festival.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Hoo boy, his experiences in Introductory Chapter made him a lot more colder than how he personally started out as, even going so far as ignoring Setsuna for most of Closing Chapter despite causing her so much pain by doing so, though he at least does this because of the overwhelming feelings of guilt he harbors towards her for what he did to her during Introductory Chapter.
- Your Cheating Heart: He has sex with Kazusa despite still being in a relationship with Setsuna during Introductory Chapter and he has the option to do so again in Coda.
Houjou High's most popular girl and resident school idol. Despite having won the Miss Houjou beauty contest in her high school for two consecutive years in a row and having a high chance of winning it again in her third year, Setsuna loses interest in entering again for her final year, prompting committee members to enlist Haruki's help in convincing her to join again for one last time. A cheerful person with a bright personality, Setsuna is friendly and nice to those who approach her, but it's hinted to be just a facade to hide her true feelings. Haruki asks her to join the light music club after hearing her sing on their school's rooftop after class hours, making her the club's and the story's resident vocalist.
- Alone in a Crowd: Setsuna is popular enough to be surrounded by a lot of peers, but in spite of this, she pretty much feels alone all the time.
- Ambiguously Bi: While she's definitely in love with Haruki, to the point of Single-Target Sexuality, there's just enough subtext between her and Kazusa that skirts the line beyond two girls having a deep friendship with each other.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kazusa's Veronica and Haruki's Archie.
- The Determinator: Towards both Haruki and Kazusa, especially the former.
- Deuteragonist: Arguably this as she remains the most prominent character in the story even if the route chosen isn't about her. She even gets her own point of view in the VN where she takes the role of the main character from Haruki during her route in Coda.
- Dude Magnet: Haruki aside, a lot of boys from both her high school and university are attracted to her, often getting confessions on a frequent basis, though she always turns them down.
- Foil: To Kazusa, being everything that Kazusa is not: friendly, popular, and with a family who loves her dearly.
- Genre Savvy: Quickly catches on that Haruki and Kazusa are mutually in love with each other after reading Todokanai Koi's lyrics firsthand before their concert together the following day. So what does she do immediately after learning this? She confesses to Haruki first knowing that he can't say no thanks to his personality.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her hairstyle. Partially subverted in that she's a young woman in her final year in high school, and later in her college years, but she still possesses the naivety of a young girl at heart when it comes to facing harsh reality.
- Happily Married: With Haruki in her route's True End in Coda. The "happy" part is a lot more pronounced in her ending since, apart from getting Haruki in the end, this is the only ending where she fully reconciles her friendship with Kazusa, fulfilling her wish during their final year in high school that the three of them would always stay together in the end.
- Heroic BSoD: For most of Closing Chapter thanks to the consequences of everyone's actions at the end of Introductory Chapter and because of Haruki's avoidance of her.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Her past experiences and inner loneliness have led her to treasure the friendships she formed with Haruki and Kazusa, to the point that most of her actions during Introductory Chapter can be seen as a desperate attempt to keep the three of them together no matter what.
- Idol Singer: She's the group and the story's main vocalist.
- Indifferent Beauty: She's popular for her cute looks, but, while it's not as pronounced as Kazusa, she puts a wall around herself and others and isn't truly close to anyone until she meets Haruki and Kazusa. She even rejects any and all confessions from boys who aren't Haruki.
- It's All My Fault: Instead of chewing either Haruki or Kazusa out for two-timing her while she was still in a relationship with Haruki, she blames herself for the painful mess that happened between the three of them near the end of Introductory Chapter, seeing as she was aware of Haruki and Kazusa's feelings toward each other but still deciding to confess to Haruki first regardless.
- Love Confession: Gives one to Haruki at the end of episode 7 while being fully aware of Haruki and Kazusa's feelings toward each other. It has consequences for the rest of the story.
- Nice Girl: While it's partly a facade, Setsuna is overall kind, caring, and friendly to anyone, though it's best shown to those she cares about the most.
- Only Friend: To Kazusa, being the only person she could ever truly call her first and best friend.Kazusa: "I love you. You're my only friend and nothing could replace you."
- Plucky Girl: Towards Kazusa. Unlike Haruki who struggled to get Kazusa to even open up, Setsuna took little effort in getting Kazusa to warm up to her, quickly befriending her in the process thanks to her optimism and cheerful persistence.
- The Rival: To Kazusa when it comes to Haruki. Given Setsuna's complex relationship with Kazusa, it's a lot more complicated than it should be.
- School Idol: The most popular girl in Houjou High, having won the Miss Houjou beauty contest for two consecutive years for her looks and personality.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her outfit during the school festival concert.
Haruki's classmate and resident loner. Kazusa is a cold, beautiful girl who is known to be the only daughter of world-renowned pianist, Youko Touma. Originally belonging to the music curriculum due to her talent in piano, she was placed in the school's regular curriculum after causing her teachers so much distress with her frequent absences, bad grades, and biting attitude. She's usually found playing the piano alone in the music room after school hours, finding comfort in playing the instrument herself amid the issues that constantly plague her daily lonely life. Upon finding out that she was the pianist who would sometimes accompany his guitar playing from the shadows in the music room, Haruki sought to to make her a member of the light music club as their pianist, though she refused until Setsuna intervened.
- All the Other Reindeer: She's isolated from her peers, though it's not for the usual reasons associated with this trope as it has more to do with her being very unsociable to anyone who approaches her.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Her hair's dark, and she's as aloof as you can get her to be.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Fell for Haruki because he continued to care for her in spite of her pushing him away several times. This is also the basis for her friendship with Setsuna.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Setsuna's Betty and Haruki's Archie.
- Book Dumb: Her single-minded focus on piano and her personal lack of interest in studying made her really poor in performing academically.
- Broken Bird: Overlapping with Broken Ace. Kazusa's issues with her mother, the realization that her piano skills are all she has, and her inability to form attachments with anyone before Haruki and Setsuna entered her life turned her into the bitter loner that we see her as at the beginning of White Album 2.
- But Now I Must Go: She leaves Haruki and Setsuna for Europe at the end of Introductory Chapter and the anime to pursue her career in piano. She does get to come back in Coda however.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Haruki's and especially Setsuna's persistence towards her helped melt the icy wall she formed around herself.
- Elegant Classical Musician: She's a talented pianist whose elegance is highlighted whenever she plays.
- Friendless Background: Her difficult personality made it hard for her to form friendships. Coda reveals that she still doesn't have friends after 5 years.
- It's All My Fault: Absolutely hates herself for willingly betraying Setsuna by making love with Haruki on the night before her flight to Vienna, despite knowing that this would definitely ruin not just Setsuna's relationship with Haruki, but with hers as well. The look of absolute pain and guilt on her face when she sees that Setsuna still came to see her off in spite of what she did to her says it all.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kazusa is a standoffish and aloof person in general and her remarks are condescendingly scathing, but if you somehow manage to befriend her and see past her exterior shell, you'll learn that she's actually a pretty caring person.
- Minor Living Alone: She has no guardians at home to look after her in her mother's absence despite still being in high school. It's invoked in that Kazusa herself relieved everyone who was supposed to watch over her from duty as a means of cutting herself off from being her mother's daughter, though she at least still contacts her cook whenever she needs her.
- Mommy Issues: A lot of her problems stem from her issues with her mother, who left her in Japan to go to Europe just before Kazusa graduated middle school.
- No Social Skills: Her standoffish and bitter personality prevents her from forming friendships so to speak.
- Put on a Bus: Is absent for most of Closing Chapter as a result of her departure for Vienna at the end of Introductory Chapter, though is at least mentioned or alluded to from time to time. She does return in full for Coda however.
- The Rival: She's Setsuna's when it comes to getting Haruki's affections. Notable in that, out of all the heroines who appear in Closing Chapter, her rivalry with Setsuna when it comes to romance is a lot more personal.
- Tsundere: A harsh type towards everyone she meets, though the "tsun" is more pronounced towards Haruki. She usually only shows her "dere" side to Setsuna, though, at her most tender, she'll occasionally show it to Haruki as well.
- When She Smiles: Oh yes, she's beautiful when she smiles. After the concert, Hayasaka notes that boys started looking at her differently thanks to Setsuna and Haruki's efforts to make her smile more.
Haruki's best friend and president of the light music club. He taught Haruki the basics of playing guitar but with minimal success.
- Beta Couple: It's only hinted at in Introductory Chapter, but Setsuna's True End in Coda confirms that he and Io are an item together.
- Bishounen: His good looks combined with his loose personality made him popular with the ladies at school.
- Butt-Monkey: Downplayed, but a lot of people don't really respect him all that much, not even the light music club members who are supposed to be subordinate to him.
- Chick Magnet: He's popular with girls, though according to Hayasaka, despite his status, he can't seem to impress the girl he likes the most: Io.
- Club President: Of the dwindling light music club in Houjou High at the beginning of White Album 2.
- Death Glare: When he begins to notice that Haruki's eyes are starting to wander towards Kazusa despite still being in a relationship with Setsuna. He even warns him not to show too much concern towards Kazusa in front of Setsuna.
- Shipper on Deck: Like Io, he wants Setsuna and Haruki to end up together.
Setsuna's classmate and a friend of Haruki and Takeya. She's frank and tomboyish to a fault, earning her some hidden fans of her own, though she's stated to be uninterested in romance. She was once the captain of Houjou High's basketball team.
- Beta Couple: With Takeya.
- Boyish Short Hair: To emphasize her tomboyish personality.
- Brutal Honesty: A trait of hers that made her popular in the first place.
- Celibate Heroine: Is said to have no interest in romance. But this is subverted when it's revealed in Setsuna's True End in Coda that she and Takeya are an item after all.
- The Confidant: Besides Kazusa and Haruki, Io is the person Setsuna relies on to confide her feelings to the most.
- Shipper on Deck: Like Takeya, she ships Setsuna and Haruki together.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Her relationship with Takeya has shades of this. So it should serve as no surprise when it's revealed that she and Takeya are in a relationship together.
Haruki's classmate and a close friend of his. Though a member of the committee responsible for making the school festival a success, he foists all responsibility to Haruki while he enjoys himself, though he is at least better now than he was before.
- Butt-Monkey: He's got it worse than Takeya, though he's a lot less hammy about it.
- Fire-Forged Friends: He was initially more hostile towards Haruki in flashbacks before they inevitably got closer together after getting to know Haruki better.
- Genre Savvy: He quickly realizes right at the beginning that Haruki was always in love with Kazusa, going as far as to wonder why he began a relationship with Setsuna immediately just before graduation.
The Light Music Club's former lead vocalist and candidate to the Ms. Houjou competition, though she always loses to Setsuna each time. Her quitting the Light Music Club at the start of the story is what kickstarts the plot in the first place.
- Always Second Best: To Setsuna, in both the Ms. Houjou pageants and in singing.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Her quitting as the lead vocalist of the Light Music Club at the very beginning of the visual novel is what led Haruki to search for and become closer to Setsuna and Kazusa.
- Unknown Rival: Is resentful at Setsuna for always winning the Ms. Houjou pageants even without trying but Setsuna barely knows anything about her, nor is she aware of her jealousy towards her.