All alone, I was searching the galaxy
You came along and completed our family
We're better together now that we've found our way
Following the events of the movie, Oh abdicates his position as Captain of the Boov, naming Kyle the new "King of Police" to move in with Tip as her adopted brother as the duo try to make it in a new world where Boov and Human co-exist while dealing with the vengeful former Captain Smek.
Home: Adventures With Tip and Oh provides examples of:
- Animals Lack Attributes: Pig the cat is drawn with an anus. A dog in "Piggy Piggy," is also drawn with an anus.
- Balloon Belly: According to "Pook Pooks", Tip always has one but keeps it hidden under her vest.
- Beauty Contest: "Beauty Tip" has Tip enter a beauty contest.
- Big Bad: Disgraced Former Leader Smek tries to be this, but his "evil" plans mostly consist of ruining Oh's day through minor inconveniences.
- Elrod becomes this by the end of the third season.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Elrod, who decides to suck up all of Earth's water and later all of Earth's inhabitants with little regard for the well-being of Earth.
- Bizarre Alien Sexes: Straight from the book; it is revealed that Boov have 7 genders; Boy, Girl, Boy-girl, Girl-boy, Boy-Boy, Boy-Boy-Girl and Boy-boy-boy-boy. Oh him-himself is revealed to be a Boy-Boy in Season 3.
- Blithe Spirit: Oh becomes this for the U.S. Postal Service in "The Cloud". The childlike fascination and wonder Oh takes in the otherwise boring and tedious system warms the hearts of all the postal workers who offer him a favor in appreciation.Mailmen: (Sorting mail) Mail... Mail... Mail... Mail...
Oh: I cannot believings it, The humans mail is all done by hand. The Boov have nothing like this! Excuse me, mailman, you are truly doing something amazing! I am in the presence of greatness! (Oh leaves)
Mailmen: (With enthusiasm) Mail! Mail! Mail! Mail!
- When introducing him to other Boov, Tip will always make sure to remind them that Oh saved their race.
- After the events of the movie, K-Trong (The Gorg) considers Tip and Oh to be good friends and he invites them to the babies' Gorgoogination, and turns to them as a babysitter.
- The season 3 episode "Best Friendiversary" is full of callbacks to the scene in the film where Tip and Oh first meet at the convenience store. During a party at the store he planned in Tip's honor, Oh even decorates the very same freezer she briefly locked him in.
- Calvinball: The Boov sport of Nuttypunny. While there does seem to be some kind of scoring in the form of "Compliances" and "Blunders", it is explicitly impossible to win and the game is just about having a fun time.
- Christmas Special: "Home for the Holidays", a 40 minute special about Oh's first Christmas.
- Color-Coded Characters: Smek is red with anger most of the time, setting him apart from the other Boov.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The opening is sung in-character by Tip and Oh.
- Dreamworks Face: Dreamworks' overuse of this facial expression is mocked in a season 3 episode, wherein one of Boovsland's rules is that making the face in question (a smirk with a raised eyebrow) is completely illegal for unexplained reasons.
- Easily Forgiven: The human race is evidently so forgiving of the Boov invasion that occurred in the movie that they seem to have more or less agreed to share the planet with them. While the bulk of them live in Boovsland, a floating city, there are several Boov also living in the city, with Boov architecture dotted along the Chicago skyline.
- Evil Is Petty: Many of Smek's revenge plots are just to ruin Oh's day.
- Foreshadowing: Elrod spends "Hardcore Harbor" taking an unusual interest in analyzing water, foreshadowing the reveal that he's been trying to find a way to take all of Earth's water.
- Faceship: Sharzod's house can transform into a spaceship that resembles him-him-her.
- Fantastic Racism: Comes up from time to time as even though humanity is cool with sharing the planet with the Boov for the most part, some characters find their quirky weirdness a little tiring. "It's a Booviful Life" shows that without Tip and Oh's friendship to set an example, Human-Boov relationship is a lot more sour; humanity is still willing to share the planet, but there is far more segregation in play.
- Fat Bastard: Pom-Pom as a female example.
- Free-Range Children: Tip's adventures take her far into deep space and her mother doesn't seem to mind.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Played with. Oh is delirious with Boov Flu and hallucinates that his nostricles are like this.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: A manual example in "Garbage Day", after having a really bad day, Oh invents a machine that can reset time to the day prior to get a do-over. Tip is not trapped in the loop by anything but her obsessive compulsion to redo the day each time any minor inconvenience happens in an effort to make the day perfect.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- In "Tip's Deep Dish" Tip loses interest in Keanu when it turns out he only liked her for her looks when up until then she was only interested in him because of his looks.
- In "Very Foreign Exchange Student" Pom Pom calls Tip fat when Pom Pom herself is obese.
- Informed Judaism: "Home for the Holidays" has Stick reveal he celebrates Hanukah.Fox: I didn't know you were Jewish!
Stick: Really? I'm always wearing this! (Lifts his hair up to reveal a kippah underneath)
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: In "Cats! The Planet", Pig accidentally emails his cat pictures to the entire galaxy, which Tip notes has happened before.Tip: Isn't that exactly how you got in trouble with the Gorg in the movie... *cough* that is our lives?
- In the season 3 episode "True Romancings", Tip concludes that the reason Lucy's dating app profile is unsuccessful is because the latter's profile pictures "looks nothing like her." Said profile picture is a direct screenshot of Lucy from the film.
- Literal Metaphor: You might assume from the title alone that the Boy Boy Girl Band song "Restart My Heart" is meant in a romantic metaphorical sense, but the lyrics are actually detailing the proper way to restart a Boov's heart. To say nothing of the fact that the song exists because Boov can suffer literal heart failure from extreme depression; ie "a broken heart".Read up on Boov resuscitation/You'll find this song is a direct quotation
- Logic Bomb: A simple typo in a Train Problem ("why" instead of "where") nearly causes the collapse of Boov civilization.
- Logo Joke: Oh is in the moon fishing for his saucer controller. Once he gets it, he happily flies away.
- Home for the Holidays: Oh is in the moon fishing with a Santa hat on while it snows. Tip flies up to him with Slushious and throws a snowball at him.
- Magikarp Power: Parodied in "Lords and Lazers": While the Jester class seems worthless at first, the juggle skill appears much more impressive than it sounds and levels up to max extremely quickly, but ultimately turns out to still be not very effective.
- Mirrors Reflect Everything: Especially in the video game Lords N Lasers. An Infinity +1 Sword made out of lasers is no match for a disco ball, off of which it refracts, cutting the attacker into pieces.
- Monster Clown: One serves as the security system on Elrod's ship. It is later blown up by Tip.
- Mythology Gag: In "Struck Through the Heart" Tip's hair temporarily goes back to an afro when Oh accidentally shocks her.
- No Name Given: Averted with the Gorg, who is given the name K-Trong.
- Opening Shout-Out: In “Newbeings On The Block” Tip recreates the intro with Elrod as Oh watches with jealousy.
- Also occurs in “Humanspeople Safari”, when the Boov on said safari decide to stay in Chicago, and Buddy Wowzers quotes the first line of the theme.
- Properly Paranoid: In "Paranoid Activity" Kyle becomes paranoid and overprotective, following Oh everywhere and saving him from things that seemed incredibly unlikely to happen. Later, Smek confirms that he had been following them and everything Kyle suspected might happen were things he was planning to do.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Both Elrod and the offspring of the llama-like Koobish are considered this in-universe.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: "Boov Flu Blues" has Oh come down with the Boov Flu, a disease where the only cure is to be put in an isolation tank for 10-20 years. Tip spends the entire episode trying to prevent this from happening, only to find out modern Boov tanks use time dilation to make the years pass in a few seconds.
- "Boov Flu Blues" has Tip wanting to go see a giant dinosaur robot called the Explodosaurus Rex. Said Rex looks remarkably similar to a Ty Trux aside from its color scheme and lack of sentience. The Ty-esque truck reappears in "True Romancings" as the vehicle/dinosaur of a stunt driver whom Lucy dates.
- "The Werewolves of Chicago" sees Lucy going as Shrek for Halloween.
- The assault on Elrod's ship in the season 3 finale is a direct homage to the assault on the Death Star in Star Wars. In addition, Elrod's plan to suck up a natural resource to replenish it on his home planet is reminiscent of Spaceballs.
- Sore Loser: In "Lords And Lasers" when Oh manages to unexpectedly defeat K-Trong and win the video game, everyone who had been removed from the game are seen enjoying some snacks together, except K-Trong himself who is seen lying on the ground crying.
- Strong Family Resemblance: "Podlings" has Oh reach out to the closest thing a Boov would consider to be their family, the other podlings he was incubated with. Because they are grown together from similar DNA, all of them resemble him perfectly, to the point where Tip has to mark Oh so she won't lose track of him.
- Sweet Tooth: Tip often binges on sweet stuff, candy especially, against her mother's orders.
- Translator Microbes: The virtual reality game Lords N Lazers seems to include this as K-Trong, who normally only speaks Gorg but suddenly begins speaking English while inside the game.
- Two Shorts: The standard two 11 minute stories format.
- The Show of the Books: The show draws more elements from "The True Meaning of Smekday" than the movie did, to the point where it is credited as being based on the book instead of the movie.
- Yandere: Slushious becomes one after gaining sentience in "Superslushious". She gets so determined to be Oh's best friend that she attempts to throw Tip into the sun.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Boov Flu can only be cured with years inside an isolation tank, but modern Boov tanks can make that time pass in a few seconds.