My best friend Socks has a costume box so we dress up and then....
We pretend to be astronauts in Space! Or detectives solving a case!
Pirates, knights, explorers too! Then we come home again!"
Elliot Moose is a Canadian children's live-action and animated television series produced by Nelvana. The series originally premiered in 1999 on TVOntario in Canada, but later came to the United States in 2000 on PBS Kids as part of their Bookworm Bunch. The series is based on a series of children's books by Andrea Beck, its 104 episodes show the adventures of a young moose named Elliot who lives in a place called "The Big House". He goes on adventures with his friends; Beaverton, Lionel, Socks, and Paisley.
The series was developed by Jed MacKay and produced by Marianne Culbert. The series was unique in that half of the stories were animated, and half were live action; reflecting children's real world of play and their imaginary world. The music was composed by Bruce Ley and Jed MacKay.
You can find every episode on Youtube, courtesy of Nelvana's Treehouse Direct.
This show provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: Snowy, Puff and Angel are major characters in the books, but they dont appear in the actual show.
- All There in the Manual: The shows page on the Bookworm Bunch website said that Amy lives upstairs in the house with Paisley (although she never appears in the live action segments).
- An Aesop: The show teaches basic concepts of friendship, cooperation and kindness.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: And the beginning and end of each half-hour episode (in total), Elliot would tell the viewers what the moral of "today's show" is. Aside from that though, none of the characters ever talk to the viewers.
- Every Episode Ending: At the end of each (30 minute) episode, Elliot would very briefly tell the viewers the moral of the story. For example:
- "Remember, good friends cooperate with each other. See you next time"
- The Friends Who Never Hang: Despite the shows theme about friendship, the main characters never appear in the same episode together.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Elliot
- I Meant to Do That: Socks catchphrase.
- Karma Houdini: Mong the Mouse nearly always escapes punishment for his actions.
- Mr. Imagination: Elliot, as well as Socks.
- The Show of the Books: This show is based off the books by Andrea Beck.
- Title Theme Tune: Most of the theme song's lyrics is the fact that "Elliot Moose is on the loose".