Tales of Arcadia is a trilogy of CGI animated series created by Guillermo del Toro, produced by DreamWorks Animation and Cha Cha Cha Films, that are exclusively streamed on Netflix. The trilogy was announced in 2017 along with the second season of the first series Trollhunters.
Arcadia seems like your average small American city, but unbeknownst to many of even its own citizens the sleepy little Californian town holds some amazing secrets. Ferocious Trolls live beneath the city streets, Alien royalty from another world are hiding next door, and powerful wizards walk the streets. Magic is everywhere and it's attracting some very nasty customers who want nothing more then to claim it all and rule the world. It's up to our various young heroes and their loyal allies to stop them, all while balancing the normal life of your average American teenager.
Works in this franchise:
- Trollhunters (2016-2018): The story of Jim Lake Jr, the first human Trollhunter.
- 3Below (2018-2019): The story of Aja and Krel, alien royalty who crash-landed in Arcadia.
- Wizards (2019): The trilogy finale where everything comes together.
Books and comics
- Trollhunters (2015): A novel from which the Trollhunters TV show was (very loosely) adapted.
- Trollhunters: The Secret History of Trollkind (2018): A graphic novel directly based on the TV show.
- Trollhunters: The Felled (2018): A second graphic novel based on the TV show.
Tropes present in the whole franchise:
- City of Adventure: Arcadia.
- Connected All Along: The trolls and the Akaridion aliens are connected through a prophecy, as revealed in part 2 of 3 Below.
- The Conspiracy: At first only Eli Pepperjack was aware that there were trolls, wizards, and aliens all living secretly in Arcadia.
- Interspecies Romance:
- In Trollhunters, Jim's mother Barbara starts dating Stickler, unaware that he's a changeling rather than a human. By the time she learns, their relationship is more complicated, but there are undertones they may get back together.
- By the end of Trollhunters, Jim and Claire become this, as she is a normal human, even with magic powers, but Jim has become a troll-human hybrid. A quick remark in an episode grants that she still finds his half-troll form attractive.
- In 3Below, Steve and Aja fall in love with each other, though one of then is a human and the other is an alien. The same can be said of Vex falling in love with Toby's grandmother.
- Ironic Name: The name of the city. Arcadia is a term used to refer to romanticized depictions of a peaceful, gentle and quiet countryside area. The city itself is not on the countryside, but rather urban-like and far from peaceful or quiet.
- Latino Is Brown: ZigZagged; The Nuñez family in Trollhunters are Mexican-American, but they're very light-skinned, with Enrique even having natural blonde hair. However, Krel's Ambiguously Brown human form in 3 Below is specifically stated to be based on a stereotypical Latino by Mother.
- Science Fantasy: Trolls and magic beasts, aliens and spaceships, wizards and ancient tomes. The trilogy has it all.
- Shared Universe: All three shows take place in Arcadia, with multiple characters and locations shared in all three.
- Simultaneous Arcs: Part 1 of 3Below takes place at the same time as Part 3 of Trollhunters. The ninth episode of both those seasons are when the main characters of both shows meet and have a small adventure together.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: The protagonists of each series are young teenagers all trying to balance school and social lives with their adventurous other lives.