The title of Trollhunter weighs heavy on the shoulders of Jim Lake, Jr.—as does his new title of "boyfriend"—and it has lead him to a crisis of identity. To help the young man grasp who he is, the Trolls, Vendel, Blinky, and AAARRRGGHH!!!, and his best friend, Toby, look at the adventures and misadventures of six previous Trollhunters during times when they, too, questioned themselves. Through their stories Jim discovers how Trollhunters Deya the Deliverer and Kanjigar the Courageous—and others—used their different attributes to be the best they could be . . . And how he can try to do the same.
The Felled provides examples of:
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: Maddrux the Many was famously confident in her own abilities, but when she creates copies of herself in a battle against Orglak, her clones start brining up how insecure she really in in her abilities, giving Orglak an opening.
- Clarke's Third Law: When Spar the Spiteful sees the Alien's technology, he immediately compares it to Morgana's dark magic.
- Continuity Nod: The story is set right after the events of "Hero with a Thousand Faces."
- Cruel and Unusual Death: It turns out that Unkar died when getting cocky mid-fight, he slips on some steps and falls into a spike-pit, where-upon the dying Unkar is pried-off and then torn limb-from-limb.
- Foreshadowing: Spar the Spiteful has an encounter with a member of the same alien species as Krel and Aja in 3Below.
- Genre Shift: When vender reaches his telling of Kanjigar's story, the comic takes a noticeable shift in execution, it qualifies as something of a Noir Episode (more Fantastic Noir than Film Noir). Kanjigar speaking in cynical, flowery syntax for his inner monologues, a Femme Fatale that later reveals herself to be a traitor, the use of dwarkstones similar to a drive-by and a Bittersweet Ending.
- Power Crystal: It is revealed that Merlin's prophetic abilities come from a magic jewel called the Omniscienstone. When Deya tries using it, she receives visions from the past (Morgana's arm used to create the amulet), the future (Jim becoming the trollhunter and then becoming half-troll) and different probable futures (Draal becoming the trollhunter, Blinky being turned to stone as Jim, Toby, Draal and AAARRRGGHH!!! mourn over him, an apocalyptic future where Gunmar wins).