A character through some sort of circumstance gets a piece of chewed gum in their hair, making it impossible to get the sticky substance out. They might try home remedies such as peanut butter or oil. In some drastic cases, cut it out, which may result in a Gag Haircut or Traumatic Haircut.
- In Ouran High School Host Club Haruhi states that this is the reason for her boyish haircut. Before the school year, someone stuck a piece of gum in her hair and she just decided to cut it all off since getting gum out of long hair is a pain.
- A Naruto OVA, Shippu Konoha Gakuen Den, has Hinata and Ino ask why Sakura is shown cutting her hair in the High School A.U. ending. Sakura explains that she laid down on the grass on got a piece of gum in her hair.
- In Psalm of the Lark, Harley mentions that a boy got bubblegum in her hair as children:
"...and the gum was so hard by that point that peanut butter wasn't gonna do the trick," she was babbling as I pulled out the sofa-sleeper. "Had to chop it right off! Boy, was I steamed - I didn't speak to Robbie for a week! Little jerk. I ended up dating him Sophomore year in high school, though; not a bad kisser."
- Matilda: One of the pranks Matilda plays on her abusive family is to superglue her father's hat to his head.
- Alexander And The Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day: Alexander kicks off the day by waking up with chewing gum in his hair.
- Curtis: One arc starts with Barry putting a piece of gum in Curtis's hair while he's asleep, gluing his pillow there. Mom has to cut it free, leaving Curtis with a huge bald patch.
- One episode of The Simpsons has Lisa get bubble gum stuck in her hair. She spends the whole episode trying increasingly drastic methods to try and get it out.
- In the Rugrats episode, "Showdown at Teeter-Totter Gulch", the most common form of punishment from Prudence (A.K.A. The Junk Food Kid) was getting her gum in the other children's hair, forcing their parents to get it cut. This happens to Belinda early in the episode, and near the end of the episode, Tommy gives Prudence a taste of her own medicine by popping her bubble as she inflates it. After Prudence reappears with her hair cut short, she is much more soft-spoken and kinder to the other children, takes up eating healthy foods, and shares them.
- In The Loud House episode "Heavy Meddle", Lincoln gets a piece of gum stuck in his hair by a bully, and tries to get it out before his sisters notice, knowing they will want to intervene if they found out he was being bullied.
- In Gravity Falls, a flashback to Dipper and Mabel in elementary school shows a bully sticking a piece of gum in Mabel's hair, ruining picture day for her. Dipper suggests just shaving a chunk of it off, using his own hair to demonstrate, cheering her up.
- At the end of a Rocket Power episode, Twister is forced to pick up garbage around Madtown Skatepark as punishment for ruining a new ramp. A bunch of kids throw their trash at him, including a piece of gum that gets stuck in his hair.
- In All Grown Up!, one of Tommy's home movies show Susie trying to pull a large wad of gum out of Kimi's hair.
- This is a favorite tactic of the Six-Gum Gang in Codename: Kids Next Door since their revolvers fire chewing gum, they commonly fire it at other kids' hair.