You're a character in a video game, and you need to climb up a cliff. But unfortunately, you have no climbing skills whatsoever. You have no trampolines, jetpacks, or flying animals. So what do you do? Easy, just go find a large mushroom!
In short, mushrooms in video games which can be used as trampolines and springboards.
May overlap with Fungus Humongous.
- There are some mushrooms to bounce on in Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.
- Donkey Kong:
- The Trope Namer is Springy Spores, from Donkey Kong Country Returns. While most mushrooms are positioned horizontally (allowing you to jump however you need to), others are tilted and will affect the trajectory of your jump, so you must be careful to avoid falling onto the pits.
- Fungi Forest's mushrooms in Donkey Kong 64 work this way, and are useful to climb onto the much bigger mushroom present.
- There's only one mushroom in Dizzy The Adventurer, and it serves this purpose.
- In Sly 2: Band of Thieves, there are mushrooms you can bounce on around Rajan's jungle base.
- Found in Eternal Daughter. There, however, are also fake ones that bite you.
- Super Mario Bros.:
- Pianta Village in Super Mario Sunshine has several large mushrooms in the underside, including springy ones.
- Some of the aerial Athletic levels from the New Super Mario Bros. sub-series have bouncy pink mushroom platforms, accompaining the traditional ones.
- There are square, orange-colored mushroom platforms in Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World that have this purpose, and can be found in high-altitude levels. They made their way onto the 3D World game style of Super Mario Maker 2 (which also adds a purple version reliant on ON/OFF switches after an update).
- The track Mushroom Gorge in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 has mushrooms you can bounce on.
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Alice: Madness Returns has the "Amanita Muscaria" within Wonderland of different cosmetic varieties that rigidly shoots Alice upwards almost vertically regardless of the angle of landing onto the mushroom.
- LEGO Adaptation Game:
- The Forbidden Forest in LEGO Harry Potter has them.
- As do various locations in LEGO The Lord of the Rings.
- In the Madagascar video game, there was a minigame where you had to jump on bouncy, multicolored mushrooms in a certain order. On a later level, Alex was chasing you and at one point he is seen jumping on a mushroom.
- Seen in The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, if only at the end of the shrinking animation on tree stumps.
- There was a Sega Genesis game called The Aquatic Games that was part of the James Pond series. It had a variant of this involving sea sponges used in a gymnastics level.
- The Flash game Nelly.
- This Touhou fan video, shows Marisa climbing a hill by jumping between abnormally large mushrooms.
- Angry Birds: Rio has bouncy mushrooms in the jungle levels.
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon has a puzzle where Spyro has to use flower seeds and mushroom seeds to grow platforms to reach the top of a tower. Because Spyro can only glide and not fly upwards, putting all of them in the right place is essential.
- In Pikmin 3, the aptly-named Bouncy Mushrooms cause leaders and Pikmin that jump on them to be launched to a fixed destination. Some springy mushrooms also appear in Mushroom Valley in the spin-off game Hey! Pikmin.
- One of the various types of springs in Bug were mushrooms he could jump on. They appeared in several levels, including worlds where it would be odd for mushrooms to exist in (such as Bur-r-ubs and Arachnia).
- A Hat in Time has bioluminescent mushrooms in Subcon Forest that bounce Hat Kid at varying heights.
- In the Wide Open Sandbox game Kogama, there are bouncy mushrooms as a cube material. They are commonly used in parkour maps.
- In Lost Home, some levels have giant mushrooms that function as trampolines.
- The Way Of Cinnamon has big red mushrooms that send Cinnamon rocketing upwards when jumped on.
- In Tweety And The Magic Gems, the "Mushroom Trampoline" mini game has Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, and Marc Antony bouncing on mushrooms to reach the goal.