- The Dragonets
- The Talons of Peace
Flower - scavenger
- Going Native: She was caught over a decade ago, and since that time has become extremely accustomed to dragon culture. She trusts Smolder enough that she regularly asks to sit on his shoulder so she can observe courtly events (a request he understands despite the language barrier), and enjoys sketching dragons although they're fearsome predators three times her size.
- Human Pet: To Smolder.
- I Was Named "My Name": Justified example. When she saw a tapestry depicting flowers, she dashed over to it, pointing at the flowers and then herself until Smolder got the hint. Word of God says that her real name is more specific than "Flower", but it's close enough.
- It has been confirmed that her real name is Rose, and she was most likely pointing to a tapestry of roses.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: She and two other humans killed the SandWing queen with swords, cut off her tail-barb as a trophy, and stole sacks of treasure as they fled the palace. She got caught eventually, but any one of those deeds would be nigh-impossible for a dragon.
- Replacement Goldfish: Smolder's brothers let him keep her because he could serve as a replacement to Palm and help Smolder with his grief over her.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She doesn't have much of a role in the book, but she is responsible for the death of Oasis, which starts the entire war and finding the Eye of Onyx, which ends it.
- Token Human: Is the only human character with an important effect on the storyline.
Silver - sloth
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Even Glory thinks so.
Fluffy - scavenger
- Too Awesome to Use: He never spent any of the treasure he inherited, presumably out of guilt (it was the reason his parents' village got destroyed) and because when you live in a subsistence economy, there is nothing you can buy that could possibly be worth the only dragon hoard that scavengers have ever gotten their hands on... except the freedom of a loved one.
Holler - scavenger
- So What Do We Do Now?: After Fluffy and Holler placate Sunny with their parents' (?) stolen treasure, she pats them gratefully and then flies off, leaving them standing in the middle of a desert with nothing but a really cool story.
- Stockholm Syndrome: A downplayed example. Although temporarily held ransom by Sunny, Holler understands that the dragonet is only trying to get back what Holler's ancestors stole from Sunny's queen years ago and doesn't actually want to hurt her. Also, she gets to ride on a dragon's back in the meantime, which is just as awesome as it sounds and which no scavenger has done before ever. Her first reaction after the hostage exchange is to ask if she can do it again.
- Human Pet: to Winter.
- Born of Magic: Fathom creates him using his animus powers.
Characters in the third series go here.
- Animal Motif: SilkWings are based off of butterflies and moths.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Unlike the two-winged Pyrrhian tribes, SilkWings have four.
Narrates The Lost Continent.A young, empathetic, and idealistic SilkWing, though naïve. He is the heart of the group.
- Blue Is Heroic: His primary colors are blue and purple, and he's one of the protagonists and a very nice dragon.
- Curious as a Monkey: One of the traits he shares with Cricket. He is very curious about the world and the dragons that live in it, trying to imagine what their lives and thoughts are like. He even does this to the dragons hes close to, like Luna.
- Children Are Innocent: Hes more of a young teenager age, but he's still very ignorant and passive.
- The Empath: A non-psychic version. Blue has an incredible empathy for everyone around him and likes to spend time "becoming" other dragons, imagining their lives. Because of this, he doesn't perceive the HiveWings as Always Chaotic Evil like many other SilkWings do.
- Like Father, Like Son: Like his father Admiral, he's optimistic and ignorant(though not fully)of the prejudice that they face. They're also both flamesilks.
- Has Two Mommies: He and Luna are half-siblings who were raised together by their two different mothers. It's implied, though not directly stated, that they fell in love with each other after mating with Blue and Luna's father.
- The Heart: He serves as this, as the nicest, most empathetic member of the group.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Hes an optimistic and empathetic dragon who lives in a tyranny and is treated as a second-class citizen(though he doesnt realize it).
- Big Brother Instinct: Even though theyre vastly different, she cares deeply for her younger brother, Blue, and is constantly worried about him, especially after shes blown away to Pyrrhia by a storm.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She's the dragon from the lost continent that Moon and Qibli meet in the Darkness of Dragons epilogue.
- Has Two Mommies: She and Blue are half-siblings who were raised together by their two different mothers. It's implied, though not directly stated, that they fell in love with each other after mating with Luna and Blue's father.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With her brother Blue. He's empathetic, kind, naïve, and generally follows the rules. Luna, while still kind, is much more aware of SilkWing prejudice, and is smart and more fierce, and tends to speak out against HiveWings and break the rules more often.
SwordtailA rebellious, outspoken SilkWing with a hatred for HiveWings. He's also Luna's Love Interest.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Sundew. They resent each other at first, but they realize that they are Not So Different and become more tolerant of each other. Swordtail is one of the first members of the group that Sundew warms up to.
- His friendship with Blue could certainly also count.
- Rebellious Rebel: One of his biggest traits, and hes not afraid to show it. He often lands in Misbehaviors Way because of it.
- Odd Friendship: With Blue, considering that they're total opposites.
- Animal Motif: HiveWings are based off of dragonflies, wasps, and beetles.
- Always Chaotic Evil: They are seen as this by some dragons, most notably Sundew, Swordtail, and the Chrysalis members.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Some HiveWings have boiling acid that can be shot from a barb in their tail.
- Blank White Eyes: They have these when being mind-controlled by Queen Wasp. The only exceptions are Cricket, Bumblebee, and a few old HiveWings with SilkWing descent.
- Mind-Control Eyes: When being mind-controlled, HiveWings have white eyes.
- Poisonous Person: Some HiveWings have venom in their claws or teeth.
- Big Bad: Shes the main villain of the third arc.
- Big Brother Is Watching: She can mind-control HiveWings, letting her see everything thats happening in Pantala.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She's the villainous queen of the HiveWings.
- Hive Queen: Literally. She can mind control the HiveWings to see what is happening everywhere and accomplish tasks by means of the whole tribe.
CricketNarrates The Hive Queen.
- Curious as a Monkey: One of the traits she shares with Blue. She is always asking questions and is very interested in science.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Theyre the only two-winged Pantalan dragon, and have leaf-shaped wings.
- Plant Person: They cant talk to plants, but they can grow plants at an accelerated rate, and some have an unusual control over plants. Theyre also accomplished gardeners.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Its unknown what they were like before the Tree Wars, but most LeafWings seem to have become this.
- The Power of the Sun: LeafWings can photosynthesize.
- Ambiguously Gay: She has several Ship Teases with a female LeafWing, Willow, though their relationship is not confirmed.
- Badass Gay: She's Ambiguously Gay, and is a very fierce fighter who can control plants and animals to her will.
- Hidden Depths: Shes a much kinder dragon than she actually seems to be.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shes a fierce, angry dragon with a secret kind side to her.
- Odd Name Out: Her parents, Belladonna and Hemlock, are named after poisonous plants. Sundew is named after a carnivorous one.
- This Is Unforgivable!: She hates the HiveWings for what they did to her tribe, and the SilkWings for agreeing with them. However, she is slowly learning to forgive and realize that it is not the current HiveWings who are at fault.