This page lists the other members of Team Balle Du Soleil, a team formed by Gao and some of his friends and classmates during the first season for tournaments. They appear as recurring characters throughout the series alongside Gao himself. Click here to return to the main character index.
Gao's friend. In addition to being Miss Exposition, she gives the team emotional support. She and her friends form Team Balle du Soleil for the ABC Cup and later the Gaen Cup.
- Chainsaw Good: One of the many ways she threatens Ozon-B if he refuses to leave them alone.
- The Chick
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Carries cat toys on her just in case, and loves None-Yet and Cait Sith.
- Miss Exposition
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Her hair decs are actually curved lamps, complete with pullstring.
- Mega Twintails: She have them with a pair of headlamps.
- Non-Action Girl: She doesn't normally Buddyfight herself.
- Out of Focus: In Hundred, with Gao, Tetsuya and Zanya making up the main trio and again in X, where they're sidelined in favor of new characters.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: When she blackmailed Baku into helping Gao make a deck.
- Ship Tease: With Baku.
- The Smart Girl: She often has information about various cards that Gao encounters.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only girl on the main cast.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair.
Another friend of Gao's. He's the one who sets up Gao's cards, and makes sure his deck is balanced and has proper synergy. He and his friends form Team Balle du Soleil for the ABC Cup and later the Gaen Cup.
- The Ace: It's made very clear that Gao wouldn't be nearly as good as he is without Baku's deckbuilding. Even Tetsuya does significantly better after having Baku build him a deck.
- Big Eater: He is always seen with food and is even said to stop thinking if not given enough food. He'll even go so far as to consider making an omelet out of a Buddy monster egg, which is the first thing he contemplates upon seeing Bal's egg.
- Broken Pedestal: Used to idolize his cousin and fellow Deck Builder, Retsu. The same can't be said after Retsu joined Disaster as Gremlin.
- Fashionable Asymmetry
- Hot-Blooded: He's quite passionate about deckbuilding.
- The Lancer
- Mister Exposition: At times.
- Non-Action Guy: He doesn't use the decks, he just builds them.
- Out of Focus: Same as Kuguru.
- The Smart Guy: With a specialty in deckbuilding. He can tell how cards interact at a glance.
Kiri Hyoryu|Third Omni Water Lord, Miserea/Judgement of the Cold-blooded King, Miserea
Legend World/Dungeon World
He's introduced in the first episode, being saved from bullies by Gao. He soon ingratiates himself into Gao's group and becomes a member of Team Balle du Soleil.
When Kiri obtained his Dark Core, his Buddy monster became Ice Blade, Joker and his Dark Core Gadget is an ice crystal/snowflake. He is actually the Third Omni Water Lord, Miserea, having wiped his memories so that he could live through the ages as a human. Joker simply influenced events so that he would become Kiri's Buddy.
He initially uses a Danger World deck, but later changes to a Legend World deck focused around the Asgard attribute. He originally didn't have a buddy, so when he fought, he used temporary Buddies such as Armorknight Black Drake, Armorknight Asmodai (Danger), and Demon Wolf, Fenrir (Legend). After regaining his memories of his true self, he switches to using his native Dungeon World.
- An Ice Person: After gaining the power of Disaster force.
- The Atoner: After his HeelFace Turn, he rescues Jack and the Buddy monsters he captured as the Grim Reaper from Disaster as atonement for his actions.
- Badass Adorable: Even after regaining his memories, he remains the kind Shrinking Violet.
- Badass in Charge: Returned to Dungeon World after the events of Hundred and serves of the leader now.
- Can't Catch Up: A recurring theme with Kiri. He feels this way after the ABC Cup causing him to go to Sengoku Academy with Rouga, then later joins Disaster after being manipulated by Davide.
- Corrupt the Cutie: After being manipulated by Davide, he joins Disaster as the Grim Reaper.
- Disappeared Dad: His father is always away, but contacts him over the phone. Rather, his original personality was talking to him.
- Fake Memories: Self-inflicted. When the Omni Lords were trapped on Earth, he decided that he wanted to live as a human and wiped his memories every time he moved on to somewhere else.
- Human Aliens: Kiri looks human in both of his forms, but is stated to be something else that predates humanity.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: He became The Grim Reaper when he joined Disaster, stealing Buddy Monsters upon defeating them.
- Intrigued by Humanity: Miserea became Kiri because he was fascinated by humans, who he saw as contradictory beings.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Implied to be why he stayed human for so long. He made friends over numerous lifetimes with Gao being the latest. Even after remembering that he's an Omni Lord, he doesn't regret it one bit.
- Making a Splash: Has power over water due to being the Third Omni Water Lord.
- Green Thumb: Miserea can use his powers to restore dead and destroyed plant life.
- Meaningful Name: His surname means 'Ice Dragon' and he comes to use an ice-themed Asgard Legend World deck.
- His first name can be translated as "mist", which he can conjure up as one of his Omni Lord powers.
- More Than Mind Control: His identity as the Grim Reaper was in response to the Dark Core Gadget ramping up his insecurities about being bad at Buddyfighting.
- Mr. Exposition: In the Clip Show episodes.
- Naïve Newcomer: To Buddyfight. His first duel is a hand-holding tutorial to help him (and the audience) learn the ropes of the game.
- New Transfer Student: To Gao's school and class, in his second appearance.
- Older Than He Looks: Despite being a millennia old monster from Dungeon World, even in Monster Form he looks like a Pre-Teen.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His hair covers his left eye. After his FaceHeel Turn, it covers his right eye instead, and this remains so even after his later HeelFace Turn.
- Shrinking Violet
- Time Abyss: Miserea is thousands of years old, his existence predating that of humanity. Though each of his identities over the years has existed for a fairly normal amount of time by human standards.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
An energetic friend of Gao's. He's regularly found rapping, even in the middle of a fight. He and his Buddy, Demon Lord Asmodai, form Team Tetsu & Dai for the ABC Cup, and he later joins Balle Du Soleil for the Gaen Cup. His goal is to become the King of Magic World, something Asmodai is determined to see happen.
Tetsuya plays with a Magic World deck, focusing on the 72 Pillars. His core deck case is headphones and his buddy skill is a flying banana. As of episode 5 of Buddyfight Hundred, he is a member of the Buddy Police.
- Anime Hair: Subverted; those banana like appendages on his head actually are edible bananas.
- Break the Cutie: Terumi's memory wipe hits him hard. When presented with the offer of forfeiting his match to Sofia in order to get information on Terumi's past life, Tetsuya breaks down and cries. He considers giving up because he misses her so much and wants to help her.
- Cat Smile
- Dance Battler: Along with Asmodai and the rest of his team, he frequently makes use of breakdancing and other hip-hop styled moves during Buddyfights.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His entire deck is composed of the 72 Pillars, literal demons. Yet all his monsters are just as big dance and rap fanatics as Tetsuya and Asmodai are.
- The Ditz: Frequently forgets the rules and needs Asmodai's help to remember.
- Jobber: While he is skilled, if a threat needs to be emphasized by a Major character losing, the role often falls to Tetsuya.
- Nice Hat: Fun fact: the little face on the side of his hat can change expressions. Sometimes the change is even visible.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He may be the most fun loving of the team, but that doesn't mean that he's expected to be ignorant of his friends' feelings. During the Gaen Cup, he intentionally played up his goofiness and went ahead as the first fighter in the semifinals for two reasons- to buy Gao and Baku more time to build a new deck with Jackknife Dragon in it, and to cheer up Balle du Soleil after figuring out The Reveal that Purgatory Knight was Tasuku all along.
- Opposites Attract: With Terumi.
- Pretty Fly for a Japanese Kid
- Ship Tease: With Terumi.
- Star-Crossed Friends: With Terumi.
- Took a Level in Badass: After Baku improves his deck, he's able to beat Noboru. He also almost beat Rouga on his first turn during their rematch, and only lost because Rouga had some cards to counter him at the last moment.
- Verbal Tic: In the dub, at least, he ends most of his sentences with "-yo".
- Yank the Dog's Chain: He defeats his crush Terumi in a rematch and finally becomes friends with her. He's even about to learn more about her (like her true name.) He's broken her out of her shell, and earned a victory for his team despite many people having little faith in him. But thanks to Sofia, Terumi loses all memories of him and runs off. The saddest part is, Tetsuya would have been able to help her had she told him her name earlier.
The Top Ranked fighter in the 6th Grade and heir to the Kisaragi ninja arts. He starts off very aloof, but warms up to Gao and the others over time. He joins Balle Du Soleil in time to compete in the Gaen Cup.
Zanya uses a Katana World, focusing on Cyber Ninja. His buddy is Nanomachine Ninja, Tsukikage. He became a member of the Buddy Police as of episode 6 of Buddyfight Hundred.
- Aloof Big Brother: Though he mellows out a bit later on.
- Always Someone Better: Loses to Genma twice during the ABC final.
- Awesome by Analysis: Has to be, as Katana World relies on predicting and countering opponents moves. His Secret Sword cards only further emphasis this.
- Badass Adorable: Despite his cute and funny personality, his ninja skills are top notch.
- Counter Attack: His newest impact card is one.
- Defrosting Ice King: Over the course of the ABC Cup and after becoming Gao's friend.
- Exact Words: He never actually agreed to let Byakuya become his Buddy.
- Girls Have Cooties: The guy completely loses his cool the moment a girl comes anywhere near him, as his glasses crack whenever this happens. He loses the first fight in the Gaen Cup primarily due to this.
- As revealed after his fight against Akatsuki with Byakuya in his deck, it seems his reason behind it that because girls often talk a lot.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Has a katana for a core gadget to go with his Katana World deck.
- Mouthy Kid: Likes to taunt his opponents. Also believed he could take the members of the Seifukai in a fight. Part of his character development has him become more humble and less antagonistic towards opponents.
- Ninja: His entire deck theme. He used to dress like one when he was younger like Akatsuki does, but he grew out of it.
- Out of Focus: Hit with this hard in DDD.
- The Stoic: Most of the time.
- Not So Stoic: Any time a girl gets near him.
- Sixth Ranger: His role in X. While he doesn't hang out as often with the Main Cast, he is still working from the sidelines against the Chaos Control Company, and will lend his aid to Gao if needed.
- Tsundere: Type 1.
- Wild Card Excuse: When Gao invites him into his house he replies 'I can't I'm allergic to girls...uh, food!'. Another example is when Kazane asks to Buddyfight him to pass the time he responds 'I can't I'm afraid of gir-heights!'.
- Why Did It Have To Be Girls: He eventually finds a way around it using a special visor in the second season.
Demon Lord Asmodai/Second Omni Demon Lord Asmodai
He is the second of eight Omni Lords responsible for protecting Earth.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears one in his Omni Lord form.
- Batter Up!: As Let's Play Asmodai.
- Big Brother Mentor: Acts as one to Tetsuya at times.
- Brought Down to Badass: After getting half his power eaten by Yamigedo, he can still fight, but not as well as before. He gets it back by travelling into Yamigedo's stomach and reabsorbing it.
- Dark Is Not Evil: For a Demon Lord, he's actually a pretty cool dude.
- Hidden Depths: He seems like a goofy dancer, but he's a very thoughtful and mature Buddy.
- He's also secretly an Omni Lord, and is against Tetsuya for joining the Buddy Police because of it. And also because he's worried for Tetsuya's safety.
- Horned Humanoid: Has two horns on his head and four on his shoulders. The ones on his head mark him as an Omni Lord.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When the situation calls for it, he'll drop the goofy persona and be the most level-headed and intelligent being in the room.
- I Lied: He agrees to give up his Omni Lord orb if Tetsuya loses to Mukuro. When that happens, he gives Mukuro a fake one instead. Asmodai justifies it by saying that he's a demon and Mukuro should have seen it coming.
- Master of Illusion: When Sofia brings up Terumi's memory loss to break Tetsuya's spirit, Asmodai points out Terumi among the spectators. "Terumi" turned out to be one of his clones in disguise while the real Terumi was watching the battle from somewhere else in town.
- Me's a Crowd: Can copy himself at will and Tetsuya will often call multiple different versions of him.
- When Yamigedo eats one, it absorbs some of Asmodai's power with it.
- More Dakka: As Armorknight, Asmodai.
- Nice Hat: Has one as Dance Asmodai.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He throws a banana at Sofia seemingly for a funny laugh, but it's actually a Batman Gambit to get the field temporarily shut off. With the field down, he could know Tetsuya that Terumi was in the audience and waiting for him. It was actually one of Asmodai's clones, there to give Tetsuya hope in his match against Sofia.
- Our Demons Are Different: He looks like a purple, horned human.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Tetsuya and Terumi pretty hard. A lot of this might come from him wanting Tetsuya to help Terumi out of her shell.
- Super Mode: Second Omni Demon Lord Asmodai. It has TEN times the power and defense than his base form.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After Tetsuya wants to become a member of the Buddy Police, Asmodai's dismissals range from gentle to rude, to even unnecessarily cruel.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Wears a hooded vest that doesn't cover his chest.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Fights using backdrops and piledrivers.
- The Upcoming Trial deck even has him as a wrestler.
Nanomachine Ninja, Tsukikage, "Kuroyasha Mode"/Overturn Ninja, Tsukikage
Zanya's Buddy. A Cyber Ninja from Katana World. While he usually only says "Nin", he can speak further, but does not as a way to strengthen his will.
- From a Single Cell: He's actually made up of tiny nano machines, which is reflected in his ability to survive being destroyed.
- Fusion Dance: With Byakuya to form Ghoul Deity, Gojinmaru. Tsukikage's personality is the dominant one.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: His Overturn form gives his armor lots of gold bits to contrast with his black and gray color scheme.
- Me's a Crowd: As he's made of nanomachines, he can split pieces off of himself to make smaller copies that are still controlled by him. He merges one such copy with his main body to throw off Disaster's mind control.
- Mind Control: Happens to him after being stolen by the Grim Reaper.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: He's a Robot Ninja.
- Pokémon Speak: All he ever says is 'Nin'. He then brings out a scroll with what he was trying to say written on it. Subverted in that he can speak normally, but chooses not to.
- Power Perversion Potential: Paruko accuses him of using his ninja powers to sneak into the girls locker room. Tsukikage would like everyone to know that he doesn't do that though.
Nanomachine Ninja, Byakuya
A ninja from Katana World that came to Earth to replace his brother Tsukikage as Zanya's Buddy in Hundred. Though he does not succeed and is not Zanya's official Buddy, he stays with Zanya and Tsukigake into the following seasons.
- Always Someone Better: He runs faster, jumps higher, throws further and can perform ninja arts better than Tsukikage.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Inverted and then played straight. He kept calling Tsukikage his younger brother, but Byakuya is the more loud and hyperactive sibling. Then it turns out that for nanomachine ninjas assign older sibling status to the more skilled ninja and in fact Tsukikage was actually born first. When Zanya would only accept his current buddy for no other, the older brother status went to Tsukikage.
- Exact Words: Falls for this when he challenges Akatsuki to a Buddyfight with the conditions that Tsukikage fights for Akatsuki and if Zanya wins, he replaces Tsukikage. Zanya never actually agrees to this, but goes through with the Buddyfight. He later says that while he never agreed to replace Tsukikage, he can find a place for Byakuya in his deck instead.
- Foil: To his brother.
- Fusion Dance: With Tsukikage to form Ghoul Deity, Gojinmaru.
- Motor Mouth: Is he ever.
- Palette Swap: Of Tsukikage.
- Weak, but Skilled: Only has a critical of one but can attack multiple times and can bypass a monster in the center to attack he player directly.
Ice Blade, Joker/Aide of the Water Lord, Stein Blade Joker
While initially an ice monster given to Kiri when he joined Disaster, he actually arranged events so that Disaster would make him Kiri's Buddy. He is in truth the loyal attendant to Miserea, tasked with watching over his amnesiac state while he lived as a human.
- An Ice Person: As Ice Blade Joker.
- Catchphrase: "FREEZE!" He still does it after his true form is revealed due to force of habit.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Stein Blade, Joker. Just replace everything ice-related with stone.
- Large Ham: Has a very over-the-top personality.
- Mind Control: Claimed the dark core had him under complete control while Kiri was the Grim Reaper. In truth, he was faking.
- Palette Swap: His two known forms are simply differently-colored versions of the same model.
- Pungeon Master: Constantly making puns, especially in Hundred.
- Really 700 Years Old: He has been watching over Kiri, or rather Miserea, for thousands of years as he lived among the humans.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Played straight when he's with Disaster, subverted afterwards.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Gets a mini form in season four, which is based on his Ice Blade form.
- Secret Keeper: He has been watching over Kiri for thousands of years, never revealing that Kiri was actually an Omni Lord. He has also been holding onto all of the memories from each prior human life so Kiri can move onto the next one much easier.