(マジすか学園, lit. Serious School
) is a Japanese drama by the idol group AKB48
and was broadcasted first in 2010 on TV Tokyo. The cast mostly consists of members of AKB48
or their numerous sister groups.
Two transfer students, Atsuko Maeda and Onizuka Daruma arrive at Majisuka Gakuen, an all-girls yankee
school where fights and violence are common. While Daruma is eager to prove her strength to the strongest group in school, Rappapa, Atsuko does not care about fighting. Soon enough, the Majisuka students learn about Atsuko's true power and force her to fight them.
The series was renewed for two other seasons: Majisuka Gakuen 2
, set in the same school but a year after the original, and Majisuka Gakuen 3
, set in the future on a prison for young girls and featuring a new cast of characters.
This series contains examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council - The strongest group - the wind instrument club Rappapa - is feared by everyone and de facto considered the top of the school.
- Adults Are Useless - Whereas all students possess fighting skills, the school staff seems to be mostly made of average humans not affecting the plot at all.
- Back-to-Back Badasses - Used several times throughout the series, most notably with Atsuko and Sado (and Atsuko and Minami in a flasback) in the first season, then with Center and Nezumi in the second.
- Berserk Button - Unlike most students, Atsuko is reluctant to any fighting. Until you ask her whether she is serious.
- Bloodier and Gorier - For a drama based on an idol group, one would think that it'll be something light and happy, right? Definitely wrong.
- And then, there is the Gekikara episode, which is much gorier and more cruel than everything else until this point.
- Combat Sadomasochist - Gekikara does not care about winning or losing but takes and throws punches alike just for the sake of violence while giggling like a maniac.
- Sado's nickname is a shortening of the word "sadist". Seeing as Yuko gave it to her after seeing her fight it makes a lot of sense.
- Custom Uniform - Atsuko is pretty much the only person in the school who wears her uniform correctly.
- Defeat Means Friendship - After Atsuko beats Team Hormone, the latter becomes relatively amiable towards her.
- Also the case with the Kabuki Sisters, Gakuran, and Choukoku, out of whom the first two actually fight for her.
- Sado is another case, seeing as she not only became Yuko's second-in-command, but one of her fiercest defenders, after Yuko beat her senseless the first time they fought.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: All the opening and ending songs are sung by AKB members.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy - Happens with the Kabuki Sisters. Daruma even comments on this: "Are you a commentator?"
- Flash Step - Black's specialty.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Nezumi combines this with In the Hood.
- Hellhole Prison: The girls live in one in the third season.
- Ill Girl - Yuuko.
- In Name Only: The third season is set in a prison instead of a school, and features a new set of characters.
- Loads and Loads of Characters - The first season alone features at least 30 girls from AKB48 or their sister groups. Even more are added on latter seasons.
- Meaningful Name - There are several, justified for a few of the characters as they are nicknames.
- Daruma shares her name with a type of good luck charm in Buddhism that is able to always get up when it's knocked down. This is even lampshaded by the Sanshou Sisters who start saying lines of the game "Daruma-san fell down" (akin to "Red light green light") while fighting with her and Atsuko.
- Given to her by Yuko after their fight, "Sado" is a shortform for "Sadist", which is... strangely appropriate once you see her fight.
- Shibuya dresses in kogal fashion and shares her name with a district in Tokyo where kogals are known to hang out.
- "Nezumi" means "mouse." Guess who is The Mole and Manipulative Bastard trying to quietly orchestrate all of the events of the series?
- Even the name of the school, "Majisuka", contains the word "maji" that is a homonym for "serious."
- Mismatched Eyes: Nobunaga in the third season.
- Missing Mom - Atsuko's mother is also a yankee who travels a lot. She does come back to visit pretty early in the series.
- New Transfer Student - The first episode starts with two transfer students, Atsuko and Daruma, joining Majisuka Gakuen.
- One Steve Limit - Minami the Student Council President is not to be confused with Minami, Atsuko's deceased friend.
- Plucky Girl - Every single student could qualify for this, but especially Atsuko, Daruma, and Yuuko.
- Sailor Fuku: The school's uniform qualifies.
- Significant Double Casting: Some of the girls that played characters in the two first seasons play new characters in the third. For example, Matsui Jurina (who played Center) plays Nobunaga, Kumi Yagami (who played Dance) plays Komimi and Shimazaki Haruka (who played Kanburi) plays Paru, the main character.
- The Glasses Come Off - When Atsuko gets serious, she always takes off her glasses.
- Lampshaded in episode 11 when before a fight with Sado she removes them dramatically... to clean a lens.
- Her dad does this, too.
- Averted in the second series, as she gets contacts.
- Use Your Head - Daruma's signature move. She explains that it's because when she was in Shibuya's gal circle, she would be headbutted as punishment.
- Because of this, Atsuko uses one to beat Shibuya.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment - How Chokoku carries her 100 Poems by 100 Poets cards.