Funny: Professional Wrestling
Tonight In This Very Ring
... You'll laugh so hard, it hurts!
For more funny stuff, see these company and wrestler pages:
- The legendary entrance of The Shockmaster in WCW. You gotta give the other wrestlers and the commentators credit for not busting out laughing after seeing it. This didn't stop the commentary from losing it, though, and even the British Bulldog can be clearly heard saying "He fell right on his fucking arse!"
- You can hear Ric Flair losing it as well, exclaiming "Oh god! Oh my!"
- Back in ECW, Joey Styles had some pretty funny one-liner reactions to what was going on in the ring. One of the things he would occasionally say (aside from replacing his trademark "OH MY GOD!!!" with "AY DIOS MIO!!!") happened whenever a luchador jumped from the ring so far he landed in one of the first few rows: "And it's Take-Home-A-Luchador night here in the ECW Arena!"
- (as the crowd breaks out into a chant of "Holy shit!") "My mother's gonna hate me for sayin' this, but...HOLY SHIT!"
- The poor production values alone added fuel to the fire. Since typical ECW shows didn't have the big screen displays common in WCW and WWF/E, and since a match that starts in the ring isn't guaranteed to stay in the ring, parts of the crowd can end up left in the dark. One match involved two wrestlers brawling out behind the bleachers in one half of the building while fans in the other half chanted, "I CAN'T SEE SHIT! I CAN'T SEE SHIT!"
- It is hard to choose the funniest moment of the Andy Kaufman-Jerry Lawler feud, but Andy's video tutorial series for the people of Memphis (Lawler's turf) on how to use soap, toilet paper, etc. is definitely up there.
- "STOP THE CHAIRS! STOP THE CHAIRS! Do not throw chairs into the ring!"
- The ECW ring collapses.
- On an episode of WCW Thunder, Kevin Nash served as a guest commentator. Botchamania put video of this into its 94th edition...and Nash is much more entertaining as a commentary guy than as a wrestler.
) "Bill Goldberg
, a bald-headed man with a tattoo. Who has only lost one time, to a fiercer warrior, Mister Kevin Nash
!" (normal voice
) "That's pretty good, ain't it—how I worked that in there?"
- Hell, practically anything that makes it on Botchamania qualifies.
- The Public Enemy had some great ones including a WCW moment I wish I could find online that had the line "You've got Ric Flair flopping around the ring like he's having an epileptic seizure." complete with pantomimed Flair-flops... it was much funnier then it sounds. Then from ECW this classic of the P.E. training Mikey Whipwreck to take on the Sandman.
- "I can go both ways!.........I DIDN'T MEAN THAT! SHUT UP!"
- Also a Moment Of Awesome, there was a match in which Kevin Steen puts his opponent in a lock, only for a guy in the audience to chant "Boring! Boring!" The two combatants look up and yell "Who said that!?" They march into the crowd, find the idiot, then point at him and chant "Faggot! Faggot!" as the audience joins them.
- Colt Cabana hates unprofessionalism. Before a match against Christopher Daniels (a.k.a. the Fallen Angel), the crowd starts chanting for Colt...then Daniels...then back-and-forth cheers for both men. The announcer then declares, "You know who's wrestling, you guys can announce them!" and tries to walk away. Cabana was not amused. (3:50 to 4:17)
- "...and you kick your feet up, and there's Big Bubba Rogers and and Dennis Condory and Bobby Eaton, and they'll catch you like they catch the girls at the football games!" The infamous 25 ft. Scaffold Match incident, as told to us by Jim Cornette, which resulted in the Cornette Face meme. "Boys...the University of Alabama Crimson Tide couldn't 'catch me like they catch the girls at the football games.'"
"First of all...Bobby fell like this—(whoosh!). Dennis fell like that—(whoosh!). I fell like this—(BAM!). Bubba's standing there—he never played baseball, I guess; he lost me in the lights, I dunno—what had happened was he's standing there like that and I went completely through his arms. And he looks down like that and when I hit, and my knee bent completely sideways in a matter other than nature intended, it caused me to whiplash back and the back of my head hit his knee, fortunately knocking me temporarily senseless, and serving as a natural anesthetic to the fact that a bone might be sticking out my leg!"
- 'Inverted, as this came from the audience and it was the wrestlers'' who found it funny. The commissioner of the late Stampede Wrestling asked the audience to tone down on the swearing. At the next show, audiences chanted (at moves they thought impressive) "HOLY BEEP! HOLY BEEP! HOLY BEEP!" The wrestlers found it HILARIOUS.
- From Bash At The Beach 1998: Chavo Guerrero has a hair vs. hair match with his uncle Eddie, and decides before the match he'll wrestle Stevie Ray as a tune-up. Keep in mind Stevie is about twice as big as Chavo. Eddie Guerrero comes down after both Stevie Ray and Chavo have come out, which prompts Chavo to grab a mic and dedicate the match to Eddie. After some goofing off by Chavo, he offers a handshake to Stevie. Stevie accepts......only for Chavo to YELL out in pain, collapse to his knees, and immediately tap out. Bell rings, Stevie wins via submission, and after a couple moments, Chavo grabs the mic and says, "EDDIE! That was for you Eddie! I'm so tired.......I'm exhausted! I guess we're wrestling now, right?" Chavo's performance was hilarious, and even though he lost against Eddie, his reveal that the "tune-up" was a Batman Gambit SOLELY to get under Eddie's skin (it worked) can also qualify this as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- El Generico's promos suck! So says Colt Cabana, who tries to help him cut better ones.
: Kenny Omega! Chuck Taylor! Colt Cabana
: Good... El Generico
: El Generico numero uno! Colt Cabana
: Ah, geez
— El Generico
: Kenny Omega, no bueno! Colt Cabana
: No. Ready...say what I say...(whispers to El Generico
) El Generico
: Kenny Omega y Chuck Taylor...(Colt whispers to him again
) I want...I-I want to piss in your boots! (more whispering)
...and your ears! (more whispering
) I EAT CHILDREN! Colt Cabana
: No! (whispers
) I eat your
children! El Generico
: Que no comprendo "eat children"...
- Booker T unintentionally calling Hulk Hogan "nigga".
- This troper remembers one night on Nitro where Tony Schiavone had warned kids watching at home not to emulate any wrestling moves in their backyard, to which Bobby Heenan quips "Do it in your living room, it's more fun!"
- We SHIMMER fans know that only women are real wrestlers, but we occasionally let the men do a pre-show comedy match. Here's the Come As You Are Rumble. Highlights include:
- Delirious emerging from under the ring with a Star Wars-themed pillow and Looney Tunes blanket (apparently Delirious was sleeping under the ring), with the pillow and blanket involved in several spots during the match
- Claudio Castagnoli coming out in a bright white suit, taking the pillow and blanket and taking a nap in the middle of the ring
- Austin Aries emerging from the back with toilet paper stuck to his shoe (and after his very hasty elimination, runs right back to the bathroom)
- Every other participant turning on Brad Bradley, the largest competitor, and in the process managing a Total Party Kill.
"I hear babies come from Mommy but you like green so much you came from a cabbage"
- On volume 45, Portia Perez thinks Regeneration X's Rocky cosplay is something from the Attitude Era:
Portia Perez: I know Allison Danger's Butterbean - does that make Leva Bates Bart Gunn?
No, this isn't the Brawl For All, it's Rocky
? That's the worst cosplay I've ever seen! It looks nothing like him! So who's Leva, then? Farooq?
- Volume 57 - Miss Natural vs Leva Bates. Leva cosplays as Spock. Miss Natural tells her to "Come to the Dark Side". The entire crowd chants "Wrong franchise!"
- WCW: Similar to DX's parodies, here's MIA's imitation of Team Canada, TOUGH GUY.
- Ladies and gentlemen, the most illegal move in all of professional wrestling.
- Bryce Remsburg the dancing referee, guest starring Allison Danger.
- Christopher Daniels meets Delirious.
- Steve Corino has a story about working a show with The Iron Sheik that has to be heard to be believed.
- This Irish indie match between Justin Shape and Philly The Kid. Try to count the amount of famous WWE finishers that get teased.
- Whatever you do, do NOT give Mad Man Pondo a stun gun.
- After Sid noshowed Pro Wrestling Syndicate's Super Card '12, Jay Lethal took his place against Matt Hardy in a rather interesting fashion.
- With Triple H and The Undertaker scheduled to face one another at WrestleMania XXVIII, John Morrison made this video.
- HE'S GOT A BICYCLE!!!
- Kevin Steen's displeased reaction to a fan trying to start a "We want wrestling" chant: This IS wrestling!
- A rather complicated chant from Chuck Taylor.
- The 24/7 Championship!
- Jon Moxley, back in IWA, comes out with a tall-boy of Busch Light and demands the music be switched to "Sweet Caroline." Then things get stranger.
- It started with a chant of "You are gay!", then one thing led to another...
- Chuck Taylor is a serious wrestler, parts 1, 2, and 3.