Fanfic Recs: Professional Wrestling
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth tapping out for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Professional Wrestling
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do note which pairings in the fic, if any, venture into lemony
territory. Not everyone's a fan of either slash or het, let alone the other, stranger options
Authors, and Websites
Rewriting the Book
by Jed Shaffer, Neil Cathan, and Simon Rawls
The RAW Satire
- Recommended by Plot Creeper}
- Synopsis: AU series where several points in wrestling history. Some are memorable, some.... cringe-worthy are taken in a new direction. Recently acquired two new writers in Neil and Simon.
- Comments: The Shaffer fics are generally solid, and the two new guys are making their marks. They get bonus points for rewriting The Gobbledy Gooker.
by Matt Hocking (Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Recommended by C.
- Synopsis: WWE RAW, mocked-to-order every week. Frequent user of running gags. Also in the archives are a couple of wrestling-based movie parodies.
- Comments: Possibly the only reason to watch RAW anymore, but it stands well on its own.
- Sadly, now finished after a Grand Finale involving the culmination of many of said running gags.
"EWB Dome Diaries
" by various authors.
- Recommended by D Av
- A collection of written 'diaries' from various authors regarding their EWR or TEW games. There's a lot of variety from WWE, TNA, WCW and even diaries based off indy fenerations. Certainly worth a look although you have to be a member to read them. Still, worth it to read some of the longer entries.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
The Adventures of the nWo B-Team
- Recommended by Zadia
- spibsy generally writes shipping fics, and they're one of the best writers in the fandom. No matter who they're writing, they always get it spot on. Recently they've been focusing on Shield slash, though it should be noted that they're a very versatile writer.
by Robert Lamb
It Only Takes One
- Recommended by Heart Burn Kid
- Synopsis: Stevie Ray. Scott Norton. Brian Adams. Horace Hogan. Vincent. True titans (*snicker*) of the Professional Wrestling industry. Watch them live, love, and barely tolerate each other outside of the squared circle.
- Comments: This is just a series of completely off-the-wall Slice of Life Script Fics, with the various wrestlers' gimmicks turned up to 11 for comedic effect. Great fun if you're a wrestling fan (especially if you were watching back during the Monday Night Wars), and even if you're not, it's worth a look. And guess what? It's back, with a brand new adventure!
by Star Phoenix 9241
- Recommended by Chicago Ted 9242
- Synopsis: Everyone has a story. John Morrison's begins here.
- Comments: I've been following this author since she went on hiatus, taking my name from a different fic of hers. This is her latest (admittedly year old) story. It's written beautifully and focuses on the characters rather relationships or OCs.
Light 'Em Up
- Recommended by Black John
- Synopsis: "You are by far the biggest asshole I've ever had the misfortune of talking to" "Best asshole in the world" "Shut up." An all dialogue fic where Punk texts the wrong person and makes an unexpected friend. Punk/OC
- Comments: This fic has recently made the transition from dialogue fic (text logs) to a "standard" format. Both formats still hold up very well. The text logs manage to convey the emotion and story with only the words. While the author's description lists it as Punk/OC, I have not seen enough interaction to put it in the shipping category. A very good read.
by Tex Mex Combo
Stories focused on god knows what.
The Taking of Triple H
- Recommended by Black John
- Relationship: CM Punk/OC
- Synopsis: The move from NXT to the main roster was never going to be easy, but Juliette Madden is finding just how different life on the road is with a whole new set of friends and obstacles. At least there's a Chicagoan to make things interesting.
- Comments: This is the fic that made me believe wrestling fanfiction could be a thing. The OC is quite interesting, and the author's description of the in-ring action is great. The backstage vibe seems very real as well. The main roster is called (for the most part) by their real names rather than their ring names, so figuring out who is who may be a little difficult at first. But don't let that stop you from reading!
by Chris Hyatte (WARNING: attempted gay rape, implied gay rape, and plenty of Squick
The Misadventures of Cap'n Charisma and the Viper
- Recommended by Heart Burn Kid
- Synopsis: When Triple H gets kidnapped by a gang of Smart Marks before a Raw event in Canada, a truly bizarre game of cat and mouse begins...
- Comments: This one's more of a Real Person Fic than a straight Fan Fic, as it takes place mostly behind the scenes. Loaded with Take That against smarks in general, Scott Keith in particular, and the entire nation of Canada. Worth a read for the sheer surreality, and because it's So Bad, It's Good.
Children of the WWE
- Recommended by Mipp
- Synopsis: When the Smackdown Squad's leader, Captain Charisma (Christian), is captured by supervillain CM Punk, his teammates launch a desperate search for him. Meanwhile, his archnemesis-turned-ally the Viper (Randy Orton) goes into a meltdown over his feelings for the Captain. UNFINISHED, updated 12/27/2011.
- Comments: The transition from a wrestling universe into a comic book universe is seamless, and the writing is witty and fast-paced.
by Undertaker of the Sith
The Seventh Circle
- Recommended by Nyame
- Synopsis: Vince wakes up to find his wrestlers have all been turned into children, leaving only him, Shane, and Coach to take care of them. Naturally, insanity ensues.
- Comments: I have never laughed at anything so hard in my life. This story is downright hilarious. Imagine having the wrestlers of '06-'07 turned into kids, put Vince, Coach, and Shane in charge of them, while they all have the mindsets of children, while staying in-character, and there you have it. Unfortunately, it is likely a Dead Fic, seeing as it hasn't been updated since early 2007.
by Dream Weaver 619
- Recommended by n8han11
- Synopsis: Jeff Hardy was chosen to be the human host that would allow the demon keeper of the seventh layer of hell to enter the realm of Earth. In fighting for his life Jeff has some unexpected allies. Features Jeffx Maria.
- Comments: This story is one of the most interesting things I have read in quite a while. The relationship between all the characters is portrayed very well, while keeping them all in character.