(b. 1973) is a Japanese Professional Wrestler
best known for his work in FMW
and, by extension, on-and-off in the U.S. in ECW
from 1998-2000. He debuted in 1993 and quickly adapted to the promotion's hardcore
style, getting Covered with Scars
as a result. He made his U.S. debut with ECW in 1998 and quickly became very popular, as ECW brought his long-running feud with Mike Awesome
(known in FMW as the Gladiator) to American audiences and great acclaim. He made his PPV debut with a win over Doug Furnas at ECW Living Dangerously 98
. Following the demises of FMW and ECW, Tanaka would compete for New Japan Pro Wrestling
, Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE, All Japan Pro Wrestling
, Pro Wrestling NOAH
, Dragon Gate
, Ring of Honor
, Jersey All Pro Wrestling and many other promotions in Japan and the U.S. and even had one last battle with Awesome at WWE
's ECW One Night Stand
PPV on June 12, 2005. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former ECW World Heavyweight Champion, a former 2x ECW World Tag Team Champion
, holding the belts 1x w/Balls Mahoney
and 1x w/Tommy Dreamer
, a 2x Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE World Heavyweight Champion
and a former FMW World Brass Knuckles Champion
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Arch-Enemy: Mike Awesome
- Badass: He was the first guy to kick out of The Dudley Boys' 3D finisher, doing the deed during the match where he and Balls Mahoney d. the Dudleys for the ECW World Tag Team Titles at ECW November to Remember 98, November 1, 1998.
- Bash Brothers: (in ECW): With Balls Mahoney; (in Japan): with Hayabusa
- Blood Knight: Even though they were partners, he and Balls Mahoney would fight each other just to fight.
- Chairman of the Brawl: His Weapon of Choice.
- Cool Sword: Carries one in ZERO-One.
- Cool Teacher: He gave further training to American Dragon, who was initially trained by Shawn Michaels.
- Determinator: Tanaka was known for his ability to absorb punishment. He no-sold chair shots and was the first ECW wrestler to kick out of the Dudley Boys' 3D.
- Finishing Move: Rolling/Roaring Elbow note , Tornado DDT, Diamond Dust (Top-rope rolling Stunner), Sliding D
- Garbage Wrestler: He certainly worked that style in FMW and ECW, and was really good at it, but he is also excellent at regular wrestling as well.
- How Much More Can He Take: Especially against Mike Awesome, as they would constantly have to raise the bar for the finishes. At MLW Revolutions, May 9, 2003, Awesome beat Tanaka by countout after hitting an Awesome Bomb through a table on the floor. In their match at ECW One Night Stand, Awesome put Tanaka through a table on the floor and splashed and pinned him on the floor.
- Loser Leaves Town: At FMW's 10th Anniversary Show, which was held on November 23, 1999 as their November PPV, FMW WEW Singles Champion Masato Tanaka d. Kodo Fuyuki in a "Loser Leaves FMW Electrical Thunderbolt Cage Death Match."
- Power Stable:
- (in FMW): Team Phoenix
- The Complete Players
- ECW Japan (no actual connection to ECW)
- (in HUSTLE): HUSTLE Army
- (in ZERO-ONE MAX): Sword Army
- Real Song Theme Tune: (in ECW):
- AC/DC's "TNT"
- Jackyl's "Lumberjack"
- (indies 2007-2008): Gorillaz' "Dirty Harry (Schtung Chinese New Year remix)"
- Red Baron: Dangan (Japanese for "Bullet")
- The Rival: Mike Awesome, Daisuke Sekimoto
- Rugby Union: He played rugby prior to his wrestling career.
- Screaming Warrior: In his ECW matches, often his opponent would hit him over the head with a chair and he would No Sell it while screaming.
- Tag Team: Emblem, with Shinjiro Otani