Fanfic: Facing The Future Series
An ongoing series of Danny Phantom Fan Fics
written by Aaron12 (aka Aaron Kuzik).
The series takes place following the Grand Finale
of the cartoon. Danny's life has undergone many changes
following the events of "Phantom Planet
", with his entire family now aware of his powers, his best friend Tucker Foley being Amity Park's new mayor, former rival Valerie Gray now an ally
, and, of course, his Relationship Upgrade
with Sam Manson. However, after the return of Dan Phantom
, Danny's evil alternate future self
, and a run-in with two mysterious ghosts who turn out to be Danny and Sam's future selves
, Sam's life is changed forever when she becomes Danny's new partner as Sam Tasma after obtaining ghost powers of her own. Together, they go through the hardships of being a superhero team and two teens in love. Along the way, they discover that Danny has tapped into a new, powerful form that's as dangerous to him as to his enemies, as well as a mysterious connection Danny and Sam possess that goes back to all their 'unison' moments
The series is very well-written and pulls together many different storylines as well as clearing up a lot of the inconsistencies that occurred throughout the cartoon
. It has gathered an ever-growing following of fans who enjoy the action, comedy, and romance it presents. The stories can be found here
. The author has also drawn pics to complement the stories which can be found on DeviantArt
This series provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Accidental Kiss: In Royal Occupation, Tucker accidentally kissed a brainwashed Jazz when he tried to block her view. Fortunately, it helped to undo his froggy transformation. Also, as a Continuity Nod to the cartoon, Tucker mumbled about the one with Sam.
- Action Dress Rip: When Aragon transforms Amity Park into his new kingdom, he brainwashes Danielle into a maiden. After she comes out of it, upon realizing what she's wearing, she transforms so angrily that her dress explodes.
- Action Girlfriend: Sam, big time.
- Actually a Doombot: Vlad is revealed as one in A Family Thing with the real deal long gone.
- He also did this during the climatic battle of the first story of the series.
- Actually Pretty Funny: In A Family Thing, this is Tucker's reaction to Danny and Sam accidentally getting sucked into the Fenton Ghost Weasel, much to their chagrin. They get a laugh of their own when Jack accidentally shoots Tucker with the Fenton Foamer.
- This was Future Danny's reaction to Jack, Maddie, and Jazz getting trapped in Jack's Ecto Bondo.
- Danny couldn't help but find it amusing that Sam smelled like barbecue sauce after a battle with the Lunch Lady.
- A Day in the Limelight: Danielle in Junior Hijinks.
- Tucker in Ancient History.
- A Girl And Her Werewolf: The series has a friendship flourishing between Danielle and Wulf.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Dash of all people asks Danny for advice on how to make Paulina notice him.
- All Girls Like Ponies: During a montage of ghost attacks in Laws of Attraction, Desiree granted a girl's birthday wish for a pony. Being Desiree, however, it was a Hellish Horse.
- All Part of the Show: In Pairing Off, a goth who was watching Sam's poetry reading thought that the missiles Skulker fired at her was 'a bit much at the end'.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: In the first story of the series, FentonWorks and Tucker's bunker under City Hall are attacked. In a rare instance of this trope, it was Future Danny and Sam who attacked.
- In Pairing Off, Tucker's bunker was once again invaded. This time by SkulkTech.
- Alliterative Title: Two of them. Facing The Future and Bad Breakup.
- A Load of Bull: In the opening of Trial By Fire, Danny and Sam fight a ghost bull that can transform into a minotaur. Sam even lampshades that they were due for one.
- Amazon Chaser: Danny finds Sam's ghost strength pretty hot.
- Amnesiac Lover:Danny and Sam end up like this when Nocturne traps them in a dream world where they have no memory of each other. However, they manage to fall back in love with each other even before they regain their memories.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: The series expands on the abilities of the Amulets of Aragon. Not only were they created by Morgana Le Fay, but when one wearing one wields the Scepter of Fay, they are all powerful. Also, Dora Mattingly can use hers to release people from brainwashing, and when wielding the scepter, can give a person the power to transform into a dragon.
- And Then What?: In Strength In Numbers, Danny's enemies honestly hadn't come up with a plan for what to do if (and when) they finally caught him.
Danny: (sarcastically) Well, isn't this an amusing little development?
- Arbitrary Skepticism: During her conversation with Desiree in What She Wants, Jazz finds it hard to believe that in life, Desiree discovered an Ifrit, even though she's talking to a ghost.
- Arc Welding: Vlad was behind Vortex and Nocturne attacking in Hearts and Minds.
- Artifact of Doom: The Scepter of Fay, which makes anyone who possesses an Amulet of Aragon all powerful.
- There's also the return of the Scarab Scepter of King Duulaman.
- Ascended Extra:In the cartoon, Tucker's ghost half created by Desiree was just seen as something disposable like the rest of Desiree's creations, but here, he has become a villain in his own right.
- As You Know: Danny and Tucker obviously told Sam everything about the time Tucker accidentally wished for ghost powers while she had a cold.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: In Pairing Off Technus is in the process of telling Skulker that they just can't grab anything that gets their attention for their plan when something catches his eye. He even says the last two words of the trope.
- Backstory: The series expands on Desiree's backstory and why she decided to twist the wishes she granted.
- The series also gives one to the remains of Freakshow's circus trope that explains their life before Freakshow took control of them and what happened to them following the events of the episode "Control Freaks".
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Danny and Sam, constantly.
- Badass Biker: In the first story, Future Sam shows to be one by creating a motorcycle entirely of fire!
- As a Call Back or a Call Forward, depending on how you look at it, Sam makes a motorcycle herself in Pairing Off.
- This trope also applies to the mysterious "G".
- Badass Crew: Team Phantom now consists of Danny, Sam, Tucker, Jazz, Jack, Maddie, Valerie, and newly recruited Danielle and Wulf.
- Badass Family: The Fentons, now more than ever now that they're all on the same page.
- Bad Bad Acting: In Laws of Attraction, when Paulina was trying to get Danny Phantom's attention during Walker's attack, it was clear she wasn't a very good actress.
- Badly Battered Babysitters: This happened to Tucker and the Fentons when Danny and Sam were reverted into five year olds. According to Jazz, this happened the first time when Danny was five, without ghost powers.
- Bait and Switch: In Stolen Years, it at first looked like the Fenton Ghost Guzzler was going to successfully suck up the energy of Jack's test subjects, only for it to instead suck up electrical power.
- Baleful Polymorph: In Royal Occupation while everyone else (except for Danny and Sam) were brainwashed into Aragon's subjects, poor Tucker was transformed into a frog.
- Batman Cold Open: A Family Thing starts off with Danny and Sam fighting a ghost bee, followed by them having an accident with the Fenton Ghost Weasel.
- Batman Gambit: In his typical manner, Clockwork pulled one of these by bringing in Future Danny and Sam to recapture Dan, thus leading to Sam getting her ghost powers.
- Battle Butler: In Strength In Numbers, Tucker's chauffeur attempted to help Danny fight off the ghosts that ambushed him, only to be soundly defeated.
- Battle Couple: Danny and Sam.
- Also Jack and Maddie, as usual.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: As in the cartoon, this is Desiree's shtick at least until she meets Sydney Poindexter.
- This also applies to when Maddie started wishing for Danny's childhood again in Stolen Years.
- Because Destiny Says So: When Sam learns that her future self is half ghost, she decides to use this trope as a reason to get ghost powers of her own. Turns out that it was the same thing that led to Future Sam getting her powers.
- Before I Change My Mind: When Sam was about to go through with her plan to get her ghost powers, Jazz arrived and gave an argument against it. However, when Jazz saw that Sam was doing this mostly to help Danny, she turned her back and said the trope name.
- Berserk Button: Too many to name. In fact, somebody manages to push someone else's button at least once every story.
- Berserker Tears: Danny and Sam, when they nearly tore Nocturne apart for him sealing away their memories of each other.
- Beyond the Impossible: Danny's alternate ghost form is so powerful, it enables him to bust out of Vlad's spectral energy neutralizer.
- Big Blackout: One of Jack's experiments resulted in this, much to the annoyance of Danny and the neighbors.
- Then later, it helped the heroes when it was used to suck up all the power from the Guys In White's headquarters.
- Big Brother Instinct: Danny to Danielle, even moreso than in the cartoon, especially since she is now Happily Adopted into the Fenton family, making her an actual little sister. This was shown big time in Stolen Years, where, after the Guys In White kidnapped Danielle, Danny tore through an entire group of them. Jazz finds that she likes seeing Danny going through this phase.
- Big Damn Heroes: Sam and Danielle led the denizens of the Far Frozen against the ghosts who captured Danny in Strength In Numbers.
- Big Damn Kiss: Occurred in Hearts and Minds with Danny and Sam after they declared their love for each other.
- Big "NO!": In Trial By Fire, Sam yelled out this after regaining the memories of what she had done when being controlled by Undergrowth in "Urban Jungle", along with which she unleashed a World-Wrecking Wave of flame.
- In Hearts and Minds, Nocturne yelled one when Danny and Sam were about to regain their memories of each other.
- Big "WHAT?!": Sam yelled one of these in Trial By Fire when the others told her she had a 320 degree temperature, to which it doubled, to which she yelled again, to which it doubled again.
Danny: Okay, Sam? Maybe now would be good time to ease off on the exclamations, okay?
- In A Family Thing, Jack yelled this when he learned about how Vlad attempted to clone Danny.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Technus thought that he was being clever to distract Danny, Sam, and Tucker while he took control of the cybertron satellite again, but failed to keep an eye on his uplink which Valerie and Skulker sabotaged. As Tucker pointed out "If you wish to multi-task, you must learn how to split your focus".
- Boring but Practical: Sidney Poindexter's solution to Desiree's handicap of having to grant all wishes, even those of her opponents? Noise-cancelling headphones.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: Sam underwent concentration training with Dora Mattingly to get her fire powers under control which had the added side effect of enhancing her ecto-construct power.
- Breather Fic: Strength In Numbers, Pairing Off, and What She Wants.
- Brick Joke: In What She Wants, Tucker mentions a phone app that has a profile on every ghost they know to Valerie. Later in the story, Jazz reveals she has it.
- Bring It: In Hearts and Minds Danny and Sam, who don't remember each other, think the other is an enemy and get into a fight, during which, Danny uses the gesture to lure Sam into a trap.
- Brown Note: Jack invented the Fenton Specter Shrieker as a device that emits a painful sound only ghosts could hear. He got it backwards and ghosts were the only ones who couldn't hear it.
- Butt Monkey: The Box Ghost, as much in the cartoon. One time, he tried to sneak up on Paulina, only for her to accidentally kick a trash can at him. Ouch.
- Call Back: In the cartoon, Danny once said he was a whiz at dodge ball. Being his clone, Danielle apparently is too. Though Word of God is that unlike Danny's skills which are instinctive, she honed her skills through her ghost battles.
- The series also remembers that Valerie's new armor was created by Technus, which unfortunately enabled him to deactivate it to her confusion while he mockingly pointed out where she thought it came from.
- Danny also made one to the time Spectra infected everyone with ghost mosquitoes when he and Sam fought a giant ghost bee.
- In Pairing Off, when Tucker and Technus square off, Technus mentions the last time they fought in "Teacher of the Year", and the numerous defeats Tucker received.
- In Laws of Attraction, Dash mentioned the time he and Danny were accidentally shrunk in "Micro Management".
- Canine Companion: Wulf seems to be becoming this to Danielle.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Danny and Sam initially had this problem when they confessed their true feelings for each other.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : In Junior Hijinks, Danielle learned the lesson Danny did about using her powers to get back at people she didn't like when she ends up dealing with the Masters' Blasters, followed by her having to deal with her parents.
- Cassandra Truth: After his encounter with Sam at the end of the first story, Box Ghost told the other ghosts that she now had ghost powers, but they didn't believe him...at least until they saw it for themselves.
- Casual Danger Dialog: In Pairing Off, Danny and Sam have a pleasant conversation while in the middle of battles with Technus and Skulker respectively.
- Catchphrase Interruptus: When Danny and Sam were about to transform to deal with what they thought was a killer robot, they yelled out "We're going..." only to stop and yell "Tucker?!" when they realized who was controlling the robot.
- Catchphrase Spouting Duo: Ever since Sam became his partner, Danny has shared his 'Going Ghost!' line with her.
- The Cavalry: In Laws of Attraction, the Fentons, Tucker, Valerie, Wulf, and Elastica pull this when Danny and Sam are up against Walker and his forces.
- Character Development: In addition to not derailing the development the characters have gone through in the cartoon, the series adds more to it, as well as providing some to new members of the main cast like Danielle as well as secondary characters like Desiree and Sidney Poindexter.
- Character Magnetic Team: Team Phantom has grown significantly in this series, with the addition of Jack, Maddie, Valerie and Danielle and Wulf.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Fenton Spectral Shrieker and Ghost Guzzler at first seemed like faulty experiments, but then they helped Danny and the others storm the Guys In White's headquarters.
- Also, the pair of gloves that shocked Danny towards the beginning of the first story of the series played a big role in its climax.
- The ectoranium that Jack and Maddie were experimenting with in Royal Occupation came in handy to help defeat Aragon at the climax.
- Chest Insignia: Inverted. When Sam finally gets her own logo, it's on the back of her coat. Danny and Tucker point out the impracticalness of it being there, but Sam doesn't care.
- Combination Attack: Danny and Sam have a tendency to combine their powers to deliver more damage to their opponents.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Danielle learns Danny's lesson about using ghost powers to get back at bullies in a tougher manner than he did, (especially because she has to face her parents for it). Danny even lampshades that she should've come to him on the matter.
- The Commissioner Gordon: Tucker plays this role to Team Phantom as the mayor of Amity Park, uses his political power to sweep some of Team Phantom's activities under the rug, as well as protect their reputation.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: In Laws of Attraction, Paulina allowed herself to be captured by Walker's forces so that she could be rescued by Danny Phantom and hopefully, start a relationship with him. Naturally, she wasn't happy when Sam Tasma was the one to come.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Danny went through a moment of this in Trial By Fire when it came to finding and helping a 'scared out of her mind' Sam who couldn't control her new fire powers or protecting the city from Undergrowth. Fortunately, the rest of Team Phantom encouraged him to go after Sam while they held down the fort.
- Conqueror From The Future: Not so much a conqueror, but it was clear that Dark Danny intended to recreate the devastated world he came from in the present if not for the intervention of Future Danny and Sam.
- Continuity Cavalcade: Hearts and Minds is full of these as amnesiac Danny and Sam had memory flashes dealing with their relationship every time they came into contact.
- Continuity Nod: One of the things that makes the series good is that it follows continuity as much as the cartoon, mentioning things from the television show as well as events that take place within itself.
- Covered in Gunge: During a fight with a ghost bee in A Family Thing, Danny and Sam get covered in ecto honey. Jack's attempt to clean them up puts them in a very tight spot.
- In the same story, Jack constantly shot someone with the Fenton Foamer by accident.
- Crazy-Prepared: Tucker brought hacking equipment and tools on the mission to rescue Dani from the Guys in White on the off chance he got to use it on one of their main database hookups. He got to, deleting all files on Danny, Dani, and Sam.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Whereas Vlad Plasmius used to deliver these in the cartoon, he's now on the receiving end from a number of characters that are too many to count.
- Curse Cut Short: Being very edgy for a fanfic based off a show on Nickelodeon, Future Danny started to say to Dark Danny "You son of a...", only for Dark Danny to stop him short and remind him who that insult would be directed at.
- Curse Escape Clause: Being Genre Savvy to Aragon's penchant for everything Dark Age, Tucker believed that his frog curse could be broken by a kiss from a maiden. Turns out, he was right when he wound up accidentally kissing Jazz.
- Desiree's wish-granting-compulsion was given to her by a genie during her life and can only be cured by meeting her one true love, and from then on she only has to grant his wishes. It's Sidney Poindexter.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: When Tucker makes a slip about his Accidental Kiss with Sam, she threatens to kick him so hard it would leave a permanent mark on his rear end if he said anything else about it.
- Dangerously Close Shave: Technus tried to inflict this on Danny with a bunch of piranha-like razors. Fortunately, Danny managed to dodge the attack and send it right back at Technus.
- Dare to Be Badass: Danny gave one of these to Dash, of all people, if he wanted to impress Paulina.
- Deep Sleep: This was Nocturne's ultimate plan for Danny and Sam in Hearts and Minds.
- Defensive "What?": Jack said this when Danny looked at him after coming up with the idea to use his inventions to save Danielle from the Guys in White.
- Despair Event Horizon: Sam was on the verge of one when her new fire powers were growing out of control and causing her to destroy everything she touched. Fortunately, Danny managed to pull her back with a touching speech.
- Didn't See That Coming: Because Skulker and Technus only became SkulkTech in Dark Danny's timeline, Danny, Sam, and Tucker didn't expect them to join forces in the current timeline. Valerie still lampshades that it was something they should've anticipated.
- Did Not Think This Through: Even Vlad admits that his first attempts to regain his glory looked better on paper and were rather ham fisted when he didn't take into account the Curb Stomp Battles he endured.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Subverted by Danny. Whenever he makes comments about other girls that makes Sam jealous, he follows up a nice recovery.
- Double Meaning Title: The title of the first story of the series, Facing The Future, has a multiple of meanings: it could refer to the return of Dark Danny, the appearance of Future Danny and Sam, or Sam's evolution into Danny's new partner.
- Ancient History also fits this trope, referring to either Amity Park being transformed into an ancient kingdom, or Tucker facing the return of Hotep-Ra and his former ghost half.
- Dream Weaver: Nocturne's dream powers are expanded on in the series. Not only can he sense inner feelings and have his Sleepwalkers take on any form he chose, but he was able to use Danny and Sam's insecurities to seal away their memories of each other.
- Drives Like Crazy: Jack, as much as in the cartoon. Not only did he go the wrong way on a one way street, but he went off road right before there was a turn off.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Non-alcoholic version. In order to get over Sam being out of town, Danny ate at a buffet. Unfortunately, Desiree put a spell on the food that made him keep eating until his stomach was bursting.
- Halloween Fic: Royal Occupation.
- Hammerspace: Mike Harris's trenchcoat can apparently hide a headphones and fold out listening dish.
- Happily Adopted: Towards the end of A Family Thing, the series takes one of its biggest developments when the Fentons adopt Danielle after learning about her existence.
- Harmful to Touch: In the first story, Jack and Maddie had developed a pair of gloves capable of shocking a ghost with its own ecto energy. Vlad later modified them for his own use.
- We also have ectoranium, which is as harmful as ever for ghosts to touch. It came in handy during the final battle with Aragon in Royal Occupation.
- Hartman Hips: Based on the description of Future Sam, it seems Sam is going to go through some developments as she gets older.
- This also applies to Tanya, Tucker's secretary.
- Headbutt of Love: Danny and Sam tend to do this often.
- Heel-Face Turn: Desiree, courtesy of Poindexter.
- Help Yourself In The Future: Future Danny and Sam are brought in by Clockwork to help stop Dark Danny when he escapes since Danny would be unable to do it a second time.
- Here We Go Again: Sam compared the school newspaper considering her and Danny the hottest couple in the school to the time when everybody was interested in her ghost form.
- Heroic Will Power: Done twice in Trial By Fire. First was when Undergrowth attempted to seize control of Sam again, she accidentally released a gigantic surge of fire, then when he tried again she gained full control of her flame powers and broke free.
- "Hey, You!" Haymaker: While fighting a giant ghost bee, Sam tapped on its thorax with a ghost construct hand before flicking it away after it turned around.
- Hidden Depths: Believe it or not, Tucker's secretary Tanya is more than just eye candy. She knows her way around politics. So much so that Tucker promoted her to be his campaign manager.
- Hoist By Their Own Petard: In Junior Hijinks, snobby Victoria and her posse fall victim to their own pranks thanks to Danielle.
- "How Did You Know?" "I Didn't.": In the first story of the series when Danny and Sam were fighting Vlad, they defeated him when Danny combined his powers with Sam's. When she asked how he knew that'd happen, he said he figure they were compatible.
- How Do I Shoot Web: When Sam initially got her ghost powers, she thought that it would be a snap considering she'd seen Danny do it hundreds of times, only to find out that she had the same trouble controlling them that he did at first. This carried over when she got her fire powers.
- How Much More Can He Take: During the battle with Dark Danny, everyone was surprised that Danny's recently unlocked Super Mode wasn't enough to keep him down, with Valerie lampshading.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Said word-for-word by Vlad to Aragon in Royal Occupation, though it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black when you think about it.
- Humongous Mecha: In order to attend school while at the same time, carry out his new mayoral duties, Tucker built a seven foot tall robot with a video screen in its chest. It's also been outfitted with weapons to help fight ghosts.
- Hyper-Destructive Bouncing Ball: Jack creates a bazooka called Ecto-Bondo that fires one of these. However, it's one of those cases of Gone Horribly Right.
- Hypocrite: Sam calls Undergrowth out on this, saying he's just as greedy as he says mankind is, always taking, not caring for anything other than himself.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the cartoon, Sam got on Danny for whenever he used his powers for his own purposes, but she didn't mind using her new powers for her causes, demonstrations, and protests, at least until Danny made her stop.
- I Can't Hear You: In one scene of Laws of Attraction, two of Walker's guards were putting up with Paulina's constant racket.
First guard: "Unnh! That's it! I'm putting in a request to get this brat in suspended animation!"
Second guard: (With his hands over his ears) What?!
- I Don't Think That's Such a Good Idea: This is basically what Jazz said to Sam about her plan to get ghost powers. It didn't stop her.
- I Don't Want To Know: This is Danny and Tucker's reaction when Sam hints that the first time she overshadowed with Danny around was not the first time she did it.
- I Hate Past Me: While he doesn't hate him, Future Danny doesn't like that present Danny doesn't think before acting.
- If You Taunt Her, You Will Be Just Like Her: After Sam made a comment regarding the fact that she has a boyfriend while Paulina doesn't to irk her, Danny warns her that if she keeps that up, she could end up like Paulina, much to Sam's horror.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Sam does this whenever Danny goes feral in his Super Mode and is on the verge of destroying himself.
- I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That: When Sam leaves Danny to carry a heavy load of Fenton tech, Danny calls her a credit to the female gender, to which Sam responded with this trope.
- Imagination-Based Superpower: While she can't shoot Hand Blasts like Danny, Sam can generate ecto strands which can be molded into nearly any construct she can imagine, similar to a certain comic book hero, which was intentional by the author.
- According to Word of God, the reason Sam's main powers are different than Danny's is because the Fenton Portal she used to get her powers was a different version then the one that gave Danny his as it was rebuilt following the events of the Grand Finale of the cartoon. Also, the reason he chose to give her different powers was because he wanted to give Sam a different route in mastering her powers than Danny so it wouldn't be dull.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: After Jack tells the Masters' Blasters that ghost hunting isn't about shameless self promotion, he asks Maddie for a drink, to which she asks if he wants Fentonade or Fenton-Up.
- In Case You Forgot Who Wrote It: The author always puts "By Aaron" behind the titles of his stories.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite Danny changing the future, Skulker and Technus still become SkulkTech (albeit, temporarily). It's even possible that Box Lunch could soon appear.
- Is It Always Like This?: After Jack's experiment in Stolen Years causes half the city to lose power, resulting in a huge mob forming on the Fentons' doorstep, we get this exchange:
Danielle: "Uh, is this something I'm going to be seeing a lot of?"
Jazz: (disapprovingly) "Trust me, you don't even know".
- Jerkass Has a Point: When Technus gives Danny and Sam the options to stop him or save a runaway bus in Pairing Off, he points out that it's obvious they'll go after the bus. Danny even admits it, to his disdain.
- In Laws of Attraction, Danny reluctantly admits that some of Walker's prisoners actually do belong locked up.
- Just Between You and Me: In A Family Thing, Vlad does this with the Fentons. It helps to explain everything that's happened to him following "Phantom Planet".
- Kid Detective: Mike Harris, a boy at Elm Street Middle School fulfills this trope as he likes to investigate strange things going on at school. Unfortunately, he seems to be on the trail of Danielle's secret.
- Kill It with Fire: Being plants, Undergrowth and his army were extremely susceptible to Sam's new ghost fire powers.
- Kill It with Ice: Partially subverted where Undergrowth was Genre Savvy enough to call in evergreen trees to combat Danny's ice powers. However, this trope was play straight when Team Phantom used their ice weapons to freeze Undergrowth's roots so Danny and Sam could finish him off.
- Kinda Busy Here: Before Sam got her ghost powers, Danny's ghost fighting duties continuously interrupted their dates. It seemed like the first clue as to what would happen to Sam.
- Leave Him to Me: This is what Agent Alpha, the leader of the Guys In White, says after Danny leads an assault on their HQ.
- Leave the Two Lovebirds Alone: This is Jazz's moral when it comes to Danny and Sam's romance.
- Like Father Like Daughter: Despite being Danny's clone, it's clear that Danielle is Jack's daughter, sharing his impulsiveness. It's made extremely clear when they both fire at an unknown target shouting "Shoot first, ask questions later!".
- Limited Wardrobe: Averted with Wulf. He gets a new outfit to replace his prison garbs in the form of one of Jack's old Hawaiian shirts courtesy of Danielle.
- Literal Genie: When Jazz wishes that the computer she's using could run faster, Desiree gives it the body of a track star.
- Living Emotional Crutch: This is what Danny has become to Sam, as she has stated countless times that she can't live without him and that he seems to be the only person to make her happy.
- Lockdown: Whenever Jack and Maddie experiment with ectoranium that was left behind after the Disasteroid incident, Danny and Sam and Danielle find themselves quarantined in clear boxes, much to Danny's annoyance.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Due to keeping himself isolated in his prison, Walker wasn't aware of Sam's ghost powers like the rest of the ghosts. This came in handy when she was captured.
- So far, Jack, Maddie, and Jazz are the only ones who know that Vlad is up to something.
- Love at First Sight: When Poindexter first saw Desiree, he thought she was the beautiful woman he'd ever seen. It led to him helping her with her wish-granting handicap and eventually, freed her from her curse.
- Love Confession: Danny and Sam in Hearts and Minds. Naturally, it was a Speak In Unison moment.
- Love Is a Weakness: This is what Walker thought as he kidnapped Sam to get Danny to do what he wanted. Unfortunately, he wasn't current about Sam's new half ghost status like the rest of the ghosts.
- Love Redeems: This is how Poindexter changes Desiree.
- Love Spell: In Bad Breakup, Ember's attempt to break up Danny and Sam was to use her music to make the jocks fall for Sam. Fortunately, Danny was more perplexed than jealous.
- Loved I Not Honor More: In the first story of the series, Danny's ghost fighting duties constantly interfered with his and Sam's dates. Unlike most cases, Sam was very understanding. Following her transformation into Danny's partner, their dating life seems to have gotten easier.
- Lured Into a Trap: Vlad's plan in A Family Thing.
- Magical Girlfriend: Desiree becomes this to Poindexter at the end of What She Wants.
- Mama Bear: Maddie. She flips on Vlad in A Family Thing and beats him, or rather, a clone of him up.
- The Man Behind the Man: Vlad starts to take on this role, being behind the events of several stories.
- Meaningful Echo: When Ghost Tucker was being conned by Hotep-Ra, he said the exact same things Tucker said when he fell for it.
- Mess Of Woe: When Sam was out of town, Danny really got depressed, to the point of being a mess. Desiree and a bunch of ghosts took advantage of this.
- Mind-Control Device: Vlad creates one based off the technology of Nocturne's dream helmets.
- Mindlink Mates: Similar to the Psychic Link they were originally suppose to have in the cartoon, Danny and Sam have developed a connection that allows them to sense each others emotions and even where they are.
- Mission Control: This is what Tucker's role on the team has become according to Word of God.
- Mobile Maze: During Danny's third visit to Walker's jail, he discovers the passageways change, making it difficult to find his way around it. It's only through the special link he and Sam have that they're able to find each other.
- Moment Killer: There has been one or two times when Tucker ruined a romantic moment for Danny and Sam.
- Jack accidentally did this by accidentally releasing a bunch of ghosts on the city while Danny and Sam were taking advantage of being in the dark.
- Mundane Solution: In What She Wants, Jazz figures a quick way to beat Desiree during a fight with Danny and Sam: Make a wish that she couldn't attack them. It's Lampshaded when Jazz won't stop giving Danny grief about it.
- My Future Self and Me: Two of these to be exact. When Dan Phantom escapes, Clockwork brings in Danny's actual future self and his partner, Sam, to capture him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sam has two moments of this in Trial By Fire. First when she regains her memories of what she did while under Undergrowth's control. Then again when she realizes she inadvertently hurt Danny with her new fire powers.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: A throwaway joke, but Danny commented that his 'Father Sense' was tingling when Jack caused a citywide blackout.
- Mysterious Past: Played with. When Jack reveals he can speak Esperanto, much to Jazz's shock, he says "I have a whole secret life you know nothing about".
- Mysterious Watcher: The series has introduced a mysterious, new character who calls himself "G". He is powerful enough to beat the Masters' Blasters and also seems to be league a mysterious organization who have ordered him to keep an eye on Danny..
- Myth Arc: The series has three arcs going on at the moment: Vlad sending ghosts after Danny for a strange reason, a new mystery character called 'G', and a mysterious link that Danny and Sam share.
- Naming Conventions: To avoid the 'Inviso-Bill' incident that Danny went through, Sam decided to create her own super hero name. After trying and rejecting a few, she settled on the name Sam Tasma.
- Never Recycle Your Schemes: Averted with Technus, who tried again to gain control of the Cybertron computer. In his words "A good idea is a good idea". Of course, since Danny and the others couldn't stop him this time if he succeeded, it makes sense.
- Also averted with Hotep-Ra, whose scheme of transforming all of Amity Park into an Egyptian kingdom was just a rehash of his last attempt. However, the author stated that the reason for this was for revenge on Tucker.
- Never Say "Die": Averted. The author is perfectly willing to use words like "die" and "kill".
- Nice Girl: Jane Parker, Danielle's friend. Her obsession with ghosts aside, she invites everybody to her party, even the school's Alpha Bitch. Her reason: "I don't want to be rude".
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Future Danny and Sam are about to trap Dan when Tucker and Valerie who were trying to help bring along a device which Dan uses to trap Future Danny and Sam.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Bradley Milton.
- No Name Given: Averted. The series reveals the names of the Groovy Gang (Fran and Andy) and Extreme Ghost Breakers (Brenner and Sullivan), as well as the names of the other members of Freakshow's circus trope besides Lydia (Goliath, Elasitca, and Green Kid).
- Noodle Incident: What happened during Danny's first two hour eating binge. Apparently Sam finds it funny now while Danny hasn't gotten over it.
- There's also the incidents Sam caused with her ghost powers with one at the steakhouse involving a dancing side of meat and another involving the animals in the biology lab that was so bad that the janitor was afraid to clean the science section alone for weeks.
- Sam also hints that she's been using her overshadow ability in the past without Danny knowing, but Danny and Tucker don't want the details.
- Another hint that the Fentons are visited by angry mobs frequently is that Jack commented that their formations are getting faster.
- Now You Tell Me: Maddie calls out to warn Danny about a pair of anti-ghost gauntlets after they shock him.
- Official Couple: Danny and Sam.
- As well as Skulker and Ember.
- As of Laws of Attraction, Dash and Paulina.
- Surprisingly, there's also Poindexter and Desiree.
- Oh, Crap: Too many instances to list.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: Sam's reaction to Danny's second two hour eating binge.
- This was everyone's reaction when Danny once again triggered his dangerous Super Mode.
- One True Love: Finding her's was the only way for Desiree to get out of her curse to grant every wish she hears. Surprisingly, it turns out to be Sydney Poindexter.
- Origin Story: The first story of the series is one for Sam Tasma.
- Original Flavour: The series is one of the few that maintains the show's balance of action and comedy. In fact, many feel that it's the way Butch Hartman himself would do a fourth season.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Wulf has been appearing more often than he did in the cartoon.
- Out of the Inferno: This is how Dark Danny makes his triumphant return; emerging from the explosion of the Fenton Thermos containing him.
- Outrun the Fireball: Played with. In Stolen Years, Danny and Sam were watching a movie where the hero's car was doing this. Unfortunately, just as it reached its climax, the power went out courtesy of a blackout caused by Jack.
- Take a Third Option: When Dan Phantom met Future Danny and Sam, he gave them the option to 'kneel and live' or 'fight and die'. Future Sam suggested mixing and matching.
- Tar and Feathers: This is essentially what happens to Friend One and Two in Junior Hijinks, with glue and shredded paper substituted.
- Tempting Fate: In Junior Hijinks before the climax dealing with Danielle and the Blasters, Tucker lamented that there was nothing to do. Sam kicked him for it.
- That's Gotta Hurt: Jack makes these comments while he and the kids watch Maddie beat up a clone of Vlad.
- That Thing Is Not My Child!: Averted, Jack and Maddie are more than happy to take in Danielle as their new daughter.
- The Bus Came Back: The series features the return of many characters that only made one appearance in the cartoon, Dark Danny the most prominent.
- The Power of Love: Sam uses this to get through to Danny and help him change back whenever he changes into his dangerous Super Mode.
- It's implied that it was this that allowed Danny and Sam to regain their memories of each other in Hearts and Minds.
- The Power Of Trust: Prevalent in Ancient History. Tucker trusts Tanya with her memories of Ghost Tucker and Hotep-Ra's attack, and Danny and Sam in turn trust Tucker with the Scarab Scepter of King Duulaman.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Over the course of the series, the heroes have delivered epic speeches to the villains. Danny gives a spectacular one to Walker in Laws of Attraction on how he's willing to break his own rules, calling him the biggest hypocrite he's ever met. During her fight with Undergrowth, Sam gives one to him about him being Not So Different than the humans who harm the planet. Considering what he made her do in cartoon, it definitely counts as a Moment Of Awesome. Maddie also gives one to Vlad in A Family Thing about how he doesn't love, just wants. He just shrugs it off.
- The Unmasqued World: Averted. While many fans believe that the ending of "Phantom Planet" hinted that Danny's Secret Identity was revealed to the whole world, the author believes that it was kept secret by those at the South Pole. Word of God believes they keep secret other things besides what a teenager does in his spare time.
- There Was a Door: In the first story of the series, Jack and Maddie enter the underground bunker beneath City Hall through a hole Jack blew in the wall. Afterwards, Jack blew another hole in the wall for them to leave, much to Maddie's disappointment.
- Third Wheel: Valerie had concerns that Danny and Sam were treating Tucker like this, but Tucker reassured her that even though they were together, they were still his friends.
- This Cannot Be!: Vlad's reaction to Danny being able to bust out of his spectral energy neutralizer, followed by being savagely beaten within an inch of his life by Danny in his feral Super Mode.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Subverted. Danny at first thought he was the only one who could stop Undergrowth in Trial By Fire, which is Justified seeing as how he did so in the cartoon. However, he ends up getting help from the rest of Team Phantom to bring him down the second time around.
- A straighter example is when Sam writes and recites her poetry. She literally needs to be away from Danny to be in her 'dark place' as he makes her too happy.
- This Means War!: This is what Dark Danny said to Future Danny.
- Throw the Book at Them: During the climax of Ancient History, a brainwashed Jazz hit Danny in the head with a scroll. After Danny takes it away from her, she produces a dagger, making Danny think he was better off with the scroll.
- To Make a Long Story Short: Tucker gave Valerie a short version of the story where they met Dark Danny.
- Took a Level in Badass: Sam, full spades. While she was already a Badass Normal in the cartoon, after obtaining ghost powers, she's even more effective. What's more, despite her having her powers for a shorter time than Danny, she's already become just as powerful, which is justified because unlike Danny, Sam had someone to train her, her future self.
- Torches and Pitchforks: More like Lanterns and Flashlights, but the anger was definitely there when the neighbors surrounded FentonWorks after Jack caused a blackout.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Danielle loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Not being able to eat any drives her nuts.
- She has also developed a liking for apples due to living off fruit stands for the past few months.
- Training Montage: Sam went through one when she first got her ghost powers. It went just about as well as when Danny trained to use his ice powers (in fact, it occurred in the same arena), but she came out of it pretty awesome.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: Danny's new Super Mode is triggered whenever Danny is extremely distressed, such as when someone he cares about is in mortal danger.
- Trenchcoat Brigade: Mike Harris's detective look includes one of these.
- Tricked-Out Gloves: Jack and Maddie developed a pair of gloves that fed ghosts back their own ecto energy in the first story. In the same story, Vlad later modified them to absorb energy from ghosts, specifically from Dan and Future Danny and Sam. Fortunately, Danny and Sam destroyed them during the climax.
- Two Scenes, One Dialogue: In Laws Of Attraction, there's a scene that switches back and forth between Danny and Sam and Tucker and Danny's family with members of Freakshow's circus to explain what happened to them following the first encounter with Freakshow in the cartoon.
- Unexpected Character: The return of the ghost half that was separated from Tucker has taken a few people by surprise.
- Unskilled, but Strong: According to Word of God, while Vlad is powerful and manipulative, he has never gotten into knock down drag out fights like Danny because he feels he's too good for that. However, this doesn't help when he ends up on the other end of a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Unwitting Pawn: In A Family Thing, Vlad uses a brainwashed Danielle to trap Danny and his family.
- He also has used Walker and Aragon for his own purposes as well.
- Valentine's Day Fic: What She Wants.
- Villain Team-Up: Multiple times. First, a group of Danny's enemies teamed up to capture him in Strength In Numbers, then again in Bad Breakup to break up Danny and Sam, followed by Skulker and Technus joining forces to form SkulkTech in Pairing Off, and most recently Hotep-Ra worked with Tucker's former ghost half in Ancient History.
- Villainous Breakdown: After being thoroughly thrashed by Future Danny and Sam, Dan flew at Danny and Sam in a blind rage. In his weakened state, he couldn't stand up to a double punch from the duo.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Sam, as shown in Strength In Numbers. In fact, the main reason she went and got her powers was to give Danny more support.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: When Danny hurled the excess food he ate, it was described as everyone present stopping what they were doing and watch in disgust while the sound of Danny retching echoed around them.
- We Can Rule Together: Ghost Tucker tried to coax Tucker into having them rule the world together with the Scarab Scepter's power. It doesn't work.
- Wham Fic: A Family Thing, big time. Danny's family learns about the existence of Danielle, Danny's advanced form is shown to have been not just a one time thing, it's revealed that Danny and Sam have a special link to each other, and Danielle is adopted by the Fentons.
- For that matter, the first story of the series can be considered this as it's the beginning of Sam's new life as Danny's new partner.
- One of the biggest shocks in the series occurred in What She Wants when Desiree pulls a Heel-Face Turn after hooking up with Poindexter.
- At the end of Ancient History, not only does Tucker prepare for an actual election and promotes his secretary Tanya to be campaign manager, but Danny and Sam actually trust him to hold onto the Scarab Scepter.
- Wham Line: From A Family Thing:
Danny:"So what do you say, Tuck? Got any connections at the Mayor's Office that might be able to fast-track a set of adoption papers?"
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We haven't seen Tucker's chauffeur since Strength In Numbers.
- What Were You Thinking?: This is what Danny said to Sam after finding out that she got herself ghost powers. Unlike most cases, Sam justifies her actions.
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: This is what Jane and Danielle wondered about Mike's spying equipment. He replied with Fairly OddParents famous "Internet" line.
- The Worf Barrage: Played with. When Guys in White Operatives O and K blast Danny and Sam with their 'Whitewash' cannon, it does nothing, even though it was designed to destroy all the ecto molecules in their bodies. Later, it turns out that it partially worked and ended up erasing the ecto molecules attached to the genes that controlled aging, causing Danny and Sam to revert to five year olds.
- The Worf Effect: As proof of how powerful Danny's secondary transformation is it gave him an edge over Dark Danny (albeit, he was already weakened by fighting Future Danny), and he nearly beat Vlad to death.
- Worth It: Subverted with Danny's Super Mode, considering what it does to him.
- Would Hurt a Child: There are no shortage of villains who would do this.
- In the first fic, Dark Danny causes an avalanche that nearly crushes a school bus full of children to distract Danny.
- The Guys in White, who are eager to experiment on a de-aged Danny and Sam, and Danielle.
- Ghost Tucker who gleefully blasts Danielle from the sky.
- Wrong Wire: When Vlad was modifying a pair of gloves, he accidentally switched the wrong wire and ended up sending a huge shock through himself.
- You and What Army?: In Strength In Numbers, Desiree says to Sam that in order to beat her and the other ghosts holding Danny, she'd need an army. Cue Frostbite and the Far Frozeners being led by Danielle.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: When Tucker worried about the Scarab Scepter possessing him again, Danny and Sam gave him a Rousing Speech that he was no longer the same person that used it the first time.
- You Are Grounded: In Trial By Fire, after Danny froze Jack and Maddie to keep them out of the battle with Undergrowth, Jack yelled this to him even though Danny was no longer in the room. Fortunately, following all the action, he forgot about it and Danny asked Sam not to remind him.
- This is hinted to have happened to Danielle at the end of Junior Hijinks.
- You Could Have Used Your Powers for Good: Jazz points out to Desiree that she could do a lot of good with her powers. Desiree just mocks her. In the end, she actually does after she finds Poindexter.
- You Have Failed Me: In Royal Occupation, when some of Aragon's soldiers fail to capture Danny and the others, he disposes of them via a Trap Door.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: This is what Dark Danny said after landing in the Nasty Burger parking lot during his fight with Future Danny.
- This is what Danielle thought about the Extreme Ghostbreakers, until they hurled exploding wheels at her.
- You Just Had to Say It: Happens so often that there are too many to list.
- You Monster!: Maddie says this to Vlad when she finds out how Vlad violated Danny's DNA in his cloning experiments. Vlad takes offense to it.
- You Need to Get Laid: After one of Tucker's Moment Killer moments, we get this exchange between Danny and Sam.
Sam: He really needs a girlfriend.
Danny: Tell me about it.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: As demonstrated when Danny triggers his Super Mode.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: At the climax of the first story, it looks like Future Danny and Sam are about to trap Dark Danny and bring the fight to an end, only for Vlad to arrive and use his modified Tricked-Out Gloves to steal their powers.