Alice does something for Bob (most often this is saving their life)... then later Bob returns the favour, and one or the other will say "That makes us even" or "I guess we're even".
A malicious variant is when Alice wrongs Eva (or at least Eva thinks they did), and when Eva gets her revenge, she will say "NOW we're even"
See the other side of this, You Owe Me
- In Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic and Knuckles save each others' lives during the fight with Metal Robotnik, and Knuckles declares that they're both even. Later, during the fight with Metal Sonic, Sonic steps on Knuckles' head (at Super Speed!); after the fight is over, Knuckle punches Sonic in the head and declares that they're even again.
- Asuka does this for Shinji in Episode 11 of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- The Matrix Reloaded. At the end of The Matrix, Trinity saved Neo's life by giving him a How Dare You Die on Me! speech. In Reloaded, after she's mortally wounded he returns the favor. Afterwards:
Trinity: I guess this makes us even.
- Any Which Way You Can
Jack Wilson: [after Jack rescues Philo in a brawl] I believe that makes us even.
- Eragon: Murtagh saves Eragons life part way through the film. In the final battle Eragon takes care of the enemies who have Murtagh surrounded:
Murtagh: [Shouts as Eragon flies away] I guess we're even!
Jack: Well, MacGyver, you saved my hide again. I guess that makes us even.
- Roswell episode "Max in the City"
Max: Liz. You brought me back.
Liz: I guess that makes us even.
- Mr. Chapel's Catch Phrase in Vengeance Unlimited is "We're even, and I'm out of your life forever." Invariably, the response to that is, "Thank God."
- Supernatural: In the episode "Red Sky At Morning", Sam and Dean, while fighting the Monster of the Week, end up saving the life of recurring rival Bela; at the end of the episode, she gives them $10,000 in cash, saying that makes them even.
Dean: So hocking over ten grand is easier for you than saying "thanks"? Wow, you're damaged.
- In Halo 3, Sgt Johnson says "We're even... as long as we're only counting today," after being rescued by the Master Chief, Johnson having found and revived Master Chief earlier.
- In Star Fox 64 if you save Falco in the asteroid stage, he will appear a bit later and kill a couple of enemies, telling Fox "that makes us even". It is unknown how killing a few enemies that would heavily damage Falco is even to killing a few foes that would have great difficulty heavily damaging you.
- A one-sided variant in Uncharted 2 Among Thieves from Nathan Drake toward Tenzin since they speak different languages. Nate catches Tenzin's hand and pulls him up to the ledge declaring "You owe me one, pal", of course, with Nate's luck this lasts about fifteen seconds before Tenzin has to save him from ground breaking beneath his feet.