Recap: Supernatural S 03 E 06 Red Sky At Morning
Recap of Supernatural
Season 3, Episode 6:
Season 3, Episode 6:
Red Sky At MorningWritten by Laurence Andries.Directed by Cliff Bole.Airdate: November 8, 2007.The brothers team up with Bela Talbot to investigate a series of deaths involved with a ghost ship in Sea Pines, Massachusetts.
Body countFor this episode = 3 humans and 2 ghosts.For the series so far = At least 213 humans, 17 ghosts, 12 demons, 6 changelings, 5 vampires, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 djinn, 1 god, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, and 1 zombie.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Ms. Case, in Sam's eyes. Although she's beautiful for her age, he simply isn't interested and she won't take the hint.
- Anyone Can Die: Body count this episode = 3 humans and two ghosts.
- Badasses In Nice Suits: Sam and Dean at the party. Well, sort of. They don't really do anything badass in this instance (except possibly Dean stealing the Hand Of Glory), but they are badasses and they are wearing suits, so...
- Big Eater: Dean is determined enough to get some form of food at the party that he calls the waiter over while Bela lies "fainted" in his arms.[Bela groans and falls into Dean's arms toward the floor. Dean, holding her, kneels down]Dean: Honey? Honey, are you all right? [looks around, calls a waiter over] Waiter! Hi. Uh, my wife has a severe shellfish allergy. There's no crab in that? Is there?Waiter: No, sir.Dean: No? [takes an appetizer, shoves it in his mouth] Oh, they're excellent, by the way.
- Blatant Lies: Sam and Dean are from the sheriff's department. Not the police department. Different departments.
- Cain and Abel: Namedropped by Sam about a pair of brothers-slash-sailors: one had the other hanged. When their ghosts meet up toward the end of the episode, the hanged brother is furious at the betrayal (which is why he's killing those responsible for the death of a family member) while the other is clearly deeply remorseful. The hanged brother's ghost then seemingly destroys the other and himself along with it, meaning that both brothers are responsible for each other's demise at separate times.
- Creator Backlash: One of Eric Kripke's least favorite episodes.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at with Bela.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bela has even Dean beat.
- Debt Detester: When paying Sam and Dean off with cash for saving her, Bela admits to being this trope in general, as she hates to be in anyone's debt.
- Dirty Old Woman: Ms. Case taking every chance she gets to hit on and grope poor, flustered Sam.
- Fainting: Bela pretends to faint to gain access to the upper levels of the museum.
- Foreshadowing: There's a great deal of it for Bela's past in this episode.
- Freudian Excuse: Dean lampshades the phenomenon by sarcastically asking Bela if she got to be the way she is because her father didn't hug her enough.
- Ghost Ship: People who see it die shortly after.
- Hand Of Glory: The last remains of the corpse of the hanged sailor. Sam, Dean, and Bela go in to a party at the museum to steal it while undercover, so that they can use it to defeat the ghost of the hanged sailor, but then Bela steals it and sells it — as she had explained earlier, Hands of Glory are powerful mystical objects. They must fetch a pretty nice price.Dean: A Hand of Glory? I think I got one of those at the end of my Thai massage last week.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Dean makes a tuxedo look good, which doesn't escape Bela's attention. Dean himself thinks he looks ridiculous.Dean: All right, get it out—I look ridiculous.Bela: Not exactly the word I'd use.Dean: What?Bela: You know, when this is over, we should really have angry sex.Dean: [pause, shifts uncomfortably] Don't objectify me. [beat] Let's go.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: The dress Bela wears to the party shows off an awful lotta cleavage. Not that we're complaining.
- Insistent Terminology: That's Ms. Case to you, Sam.
- Little Black Dress: Bela at the party.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: When Sam is summoning the spirit.
- Self-Made Orphan: The wealthy brothers who get killed by the spirit are rumored to have murdered their father for the money.
- Sam refers to Miss Case as Miss Havisham.
- Sorry to Interrupt: How Bela keeps the guard from discovering that Dean isn't in the room.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: "Call me Gertie."
- Watch the Paint Job: The Impala, of course, which Bela gets towed. Dean is not happy.
- You Look Like You've Seen a Ghost: The brothers say this to Bela after she sees the ghost ship.