Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. An automaton, robot or droid with a television set for a head.
Say the technology for synthetic skin has not yet been perfected and you want to avoid the Uncanny Valley
. Maybe you don't have much but some spare parts, dwindling funds and a TV at your disposal. Maybe it just looks cool
. For whatever reason, this is a robot or other sentient being with a monitor onto which they project images or outright words that are often snarky responses
to people interacting with them.
Not to be confused with a sentient AI or a talking computer. This strictly applies to walking automatons.
Often speaks through a variant of Talking with Signs
. Compare/contrast Surveillance Drone
and The Blank
Anime and Manga
- Several of the Spider-Slayers have this, including the first.
- Telly, the "son" of Tank and Booga, in Tank Girl.
- Arguably, Arnim Zola could qualify. His face is displayed on a screen in his chest.
- Prince Robot IV (and several others of his race) from Brian K. Vaughan's Saga .
- Walter from Judge Dredd. When he's distressed, his face projects static.
- One of these appears in the music video for the Muse song "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable" from their album The 2nd Law. It's kinda creepy-looking◊.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum: In one first-person area, at the end of a hallway is a Joker mannequin with a TV for a head. It's actually him.
- In The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, the pentultimate boss has a TV set for a head, and the achievement for beating him is "Smash Your TV".
- Fallout: New Vegas Securitrons
- Everyone (except maybe player character) in Mondo Medicals and Mondo Agency fits this trope.
- The Bruiser from Doom: Resurrection of Evil has a TV mouth.
- The Squarians in Level Up.
- The Drakel Freak enemy from AdventureQuest is a cyborg with a TV for its head, with an organic muzzle protruding from it.
- One of Metalhead's costumes in Guitar Hero III is one.
- These show up as an enemy in the N64 South Park game.
- Robots in Might and Magic III: The Isles of Terra.
- Telly from Chibi-Robo is a Robot Buddy that takes his namesake from the fact that he is a tiny flying TV head.