Creator / Brian K. Vaughan
Brian K. Vaughan is a well-regarded comic writer, most famous for his creator-owned series Y: The Last Man
, as well as for creating the Marvel Comics
. He went on to write a run on Swamp Thing
, before creating Y: The Last Man
, which brought him much critical acclaim. He then launched Ex Machina
, which met similar acclaim; when the title ended, he concluded that he was better suited writing creator-owned books and has refrained from working on company-owned characters since then.
He had a temporary break from comic work while he worked on TV. In 2012, he returned to comic writing with the highly acclaimed Image Comics
, followed in 2015 by Paper Girls
He's become very well known for writing complex and highly memorable characters, for his Splash Panel cliffhangers
, and for writing some of the most soul crushing endings in all of comics.Selected bibliography:
- Y: The Last Man - Follows the story of Yorick Brown and his monkey Ampersand, the last males left alive after every mammal with a Y chromosome suddenly drops dead.
- Ex Machina - The story of Mitchell Hundred: superhero-turned-Mayor of New York City.
- Pride of Baghdad - Based on a True Story of a pride of four lions that escaped from Baghdad zoo and wandered the ruined city for some time.
- Runaways - Six kids discover their parents are a fearsome group of supervillains. Co-created by Vaughan and ongoing without his creative input.
- Doctor Strange: The Oath - A five-issue mini about Strange's attempt to save his friend's life while opposed by a corrupt pharmaceuticals company bent on Withholding the Cure.
- The Hood - A six-issue mini which introduced the character who would go on to become a recurring menace to the Avengers.
- Saga - A science fiction/fantasy hybrid which takes place in a far away galaxy. Involves robots with TV-shaped heads having sex.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 - A Comic-Book Adaptation of the television series. Vaughan wrote the "No Future For You" story arc (issues # 6-9).
- ''The Escapists'' - The story of three friends who attempt to revive a Golden Age comic book hero. A spinoff/sequel to Michael Chabon's novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
- Swamp Thing - Volume 3, which focused largely on the Swampthing's daughter Tefe Holland.
- Spider-man/Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure - A miniseries that follows a frusterated rival Daily Bugle photographer who helps Dr. Octopus break out of prison.
- Tom Strong: A Fire In His Belly - A single issue story that focuses on Tom's robot butler Pnuman.
- We Stand on Guard: A miniseries about an American invasion of Canada in the 22nd century.
- Paper Girls: four preteen newspaper delivery girls band together for mutual protection during an apparent alien invasion of their late 80's Midwestern suburb.
BKV was also a writer on Lost
. He was also the show runner for Under the Dome
, based on the Stephen King
Brian K. Vaughan's works contain examples of: